• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Birds can't read...
irony5.jpg

Or can read but could care less.

ETA: on reflection, that bird knows it's a kingfisher. And a proper king, at that, none of your milquetoast constitutional monarchy malarchy. He didn't sign no magna carta. Pukka despot. Absolute monarch. Rules are for little birds people, and there's your proof.

Last edited:
Birds don't need to read, they can just learn stuff 'parrot fashion'.
Maybe they can use 'pidgen english'.

Another socially prominent COVID mask denier (a pastor in Idaho) has spent 2 weeks in hospital with the disease.
An Idaho pastor skeptical of masks lands in the ICU for Covid-19

A pastor in Idaho who called himself a "no-masker" during a service and repeatedly questioned the veracity of coronavirus case reporting is in the ICU after contracting Covid-19.

Paul Van Noy, senior pastor at Candlelight Church in Coeur d'Alene, has spent two weeks in the hospital with a Covid-19 diagnosis, ministry coordinator Eric Reade confirmed to CNN. Five other church staff were infected with coronavirus, too, but they've all recovered, he said.

In a comment shared through Candlelight Church, Van Noy said he'll soon move out of the ICU into another room in the hospital and then recover at home. ...

In a July Facebook post, Van Noy falsely claimed that wearing masks doesn't prevent Covid-19 transmission, and he urged his parishioners not to fear the "cause or effect of Covid-19." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/us/idaho-pastor-covid-masks-trnd/index.html

This could've gone in Coincidences, WTF, Ridiculous Accidents, Stupidity..

Woman collides with man on zebra crossing in hit & run whilst texting then learns later it's her father in law

Fathetha Begun Abedin, 29, was texting at the wheel when she ploughed into the 61-year-old on February 5, 2018.

As she made her way home she went across a zebra crossing in Highfields, Leicester, at the same moment her father-in-law was crossing.

The collision was caught on CCTV, and shows Abedin's father-in-law thrown across the bonnet and smashing so hard into the windscreen it shattered the glass.

Abedin then drove away from the scene, leaving her father-in-law lying in the road with a number of serious injuries, including a fractured pelvis.

A judge heard before admitting to the hit-and-run, Abedin concocted a series of cover-ups including that she might have suffered a partial loss of consciousness because of an asthma attack at the time of the crash.

She later claimed the damage to her car was caused by thieves breaking into the car to steal her phone, prosecutor Joey Kwong said.

Abedin also tried to deny she was using her phone at the time of the crash by deleting 32 incriminating texts and saying the device often delayed sending messages.

Abedin appeared in court on Wednesday for sentencing and was supported by family including her father-in-law - who she helps to care for.

It was said her relatives withdrew their support for the matter to be prosecuted in the courts.

Sentence seems lenient to me:

She was jailed for six months for the dangerous driving offence and a consecutive 12 months for perverting the course of justice.

She was also banned from driving for two years and nine months.

I wonder if she's still married?

Looks like it -

Abedin appeared in court on Wednesday for sentencing and was supported by family including her father-in-law - who she helps to care for.
It was said her relatives withdrew their support for the matter to be prosecuted in the courts.

So not only did they stand by her, they wanted the matter dropped.

Fits the previous one:

Just heard this on the @BBCNews:
“The company which was awarded a government contract to run ferries despite having no ships has gone bankrupt.”

...the market knows.

Susie Dent 'gutted' after new book Word Perfect printed with host of typos

“I’m so sorry about this. I’ll be in touch as soon as I can with details on how we’re going to fix it,” said Dent on Twitter, where she described herself as “gutted” over the error.

Her publisher John Murray also apologised. “We’re very sorry that, due to a printing error, early copies of Word Perfect are not word perfect. We’re taking urgent steps to recall these copies, reprint and resolve this swiftly,” it said, adding that customers needing a replacement should get in touch. However, copies have already made it to many UK bookshops.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-book-word-perfect-printed-with-host-of-typos

Bit baffling how that happened. The author would have most likely sent a word processor file and the publisher should have used proof readers and an editor. But they don't seem to spend money on such fripperies these days.

Maybe she was using words not recognised by spellcheckers, she does like to collect such things, so the errors were not caught by people "in the know".

I think it's most likely a classic case of 'can't-be-arsed' and 'someone-else-will-do-it' ness

Bit baffling how that happened. The author would have most likely sent a word processor file and the publisher should have used proof readers and an editor. But they don't seem to spend money on such fripperies these days.
I used to review science fiction books for SFX magazine from the late 1990s for a decade or so, and the number of typos rose steadily over that period. As a proofreader I know that mistakes are going to happen (but at least it's not heart surgery so the repercussions are less serious...) but the number of errors in some books made them difficult to read.

One magazine I worked for printed 'Britian' in very large letters on the cover rather than Britain. I hasten to say that this was after I left... as was 'prostrate cancer', which also made the cover.

I am surprised that Susie Dent didn't see a proof copy in some form or other, though even then mistakes can happen – an earlier version of the document being sent to the printer, for example. I'd be mortified if I was her, though.

(EDITED BECAUSE THE SPELLCHECKER AUTOMATICALLY CHANGED WHAT I WROTE. BASTARD TECHNOLOGY!)

Last edited:
One magazine I worked for printed 'Britain' in very large letters on the cover rather than Britain. I hasten to say that this was after I left... as was 'prostrate cancer', which also made the cover.

Ironically, your current spellchecker corrected your explanatory misspelling! :evillaugh:

One magazine I worked for printed 'Britain' in very large letters on the cover rather than Britain. I hasten to say that this was after I left... as was 'prostrate cancer', which also made the cover.

There's a missing typo in your example. Couldn't have happened in a more appropriate thread ;)

There's a missing typo in your example. Couldn't have happened in a more appropriate thread ;)
That's the bloody spellchecker correcting my deliberate error, and me not re-reading. I f***in' hate the automatic spellchecker!

Back