• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The reason presumably was that A-10s were based with the 81st Tactical Wing at RAF Bentwaters.

If this flight to Ramstein HQ happened at all.

I certainly have references to it, however, I thought there were more than I can locate at present.

One example, from Randy Smith, previously mentioned and deployed at RAF Bentwaters Weapons Storage Area:

"The following night, I went on duty. At guardmount, Bob Ball was very serious, he's almost never serious, a very jovial person. He said, "I saw something last night, but I'm not at liberty to discuss it." And that was the "end". I later heard that the morning we got off our first midnight shift, an A-10 was scrambled and sent to Ramstein, Germany, by Lt. Col. Halt".

Still searching!
My case archives are nothing if not extensive and I have eventually tracked down the source!

From the February, 1985, CNN broadcast transcript:

NARRATIVE: CNN has also found an officer who says he drove the base commander to a waiting airplane to deliver what he was told was a motion picture film of one of the UFO's.

"...uh, we drove out and I asked him what was in the film, and he said we actually have pictures of the UFO here. And he got off the jeep, went over to the aircraft, handed the film to the pilot. The canopy closed and the plane took off, and I asked him where it was headed, and he said, 'Germany"'.
[END]

Although I found out who this was and wrote to them, regrettably I never received a response.

I need to think over some confidentiality issues, before revealing any more about this.

I need to think over some confidentiality issues...
This looks to be fine, in that respect.

One prominent aspect of revisiting so much earlier research material, some 20 years afterwards, is how little of it I recall.

This is a perfect example, as I note therein referring to writing a feature article for, 'Skeptic' magazine.

Presumably it was never actually published, as I would both clearly have remembered and kept a copy, neither of which apply.

The following should hopefully be self-explanatory:

Dear Dr Verano,

At the invitation of Prof. Chris French, I have written the lead article for a forthcoming edition of, 'The Skeptic' magazine (Volume 17 Number 2-3, Summer and Autumn 2004).

That edition will be entirely dedicated to the story of our infamous 'UFO' case...

My main interest and objective is to accurately document the quite complex sequence of events which occurred and gave rise to the 'UFO' legend.

In doing so, I hope you might please clarify some points which have arisen from your reply.

If it helps, one reason you might have believed the package contained film, is apparently being informed as such.

From the February, 1985, CNN broadcast transcript:

"...uh, we drove out and I asked him what was in the film, and he said we actually have pictures of the UFO here. And he got off the jeep, went over to the aircraft, handed the film to the pilot. The canopy closed and the plane took off, and I asked him where it was headed, and he said, 'Germany"'.
[END]

As noted, Col. Halt is adamant there was no video film taken, however, I see you actually say "pictures". Although there were some photographs taken, however, these were developed on base. From a related article:

"Copies of the Halt document and audio tapes of his microcassette notes of the investigation are both in circulation.

As for the photographs? "The pictures that were taken that night I was out did not come out," says Halt. "The film was personally developed by the photographer who was with us. He developed them in his own darkroom at home and the film came back all fogged".

(...)

Despite rumours, "No video or motion picture film was taken," says Halt.
[END]

Obviously, in February, 1995, you still believed the package delivered contained film/photographs.

What subsequently occurred to persuade you that the package contained an audio tape and a document?

Can you recall when you handed over the package and specifically, was it after the second incident, or beforehand and therefore presumably related to the first?

Are CNN correct in identifying the Base Commander, Col. Ted Conrad, as being with you?

My understanding is that because of the Solidarity crisis in Poland and amidst fears the Soviet Union might invade, A-10 'tankbuster' aircraft based at RAF Bentwaters were, in late December, 1980, already deployed to the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing at Alhorn, Germany.

Was an A-10 therefore despatched back to Bentwaters solely to pick up the package?

You might find the following of interest:

@http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/152_rendlesham.shtml

My online article for 'Fortean Times' magazine includes a photograph of the suspected 'landing site', taken by Ray
Gulyas on the morning of 27 December.

At the far right-hand-side is, or so I'm informed, a young Mike Verano.
(End)

Screenshot_20210421-234616.jpg

According to NOAA, the magnetic declination for the area in 1980 was very close to 5½⁰ west of north. (5⁰ line highlighted in yellow; 6⁰ line in blue over Cambridge and Skegness):
Thank you. A useful site that I hadn't seen before (I haven't looked into this in years!).
Remember also that if you are trying to measure bearings on an OS map, grid north is not the same as true north. So three "norths" to contend with!

Thank you. A useful site that I hadn't seen before (I haven't looked into this in years!).
Remember also that if you are trying to measure bearings on an OS map, grid north is not the same as true north. So three "norths" to contend with!

benny2.jpg

maximus otter

Looks like the race is run on this case!
It there was some as yet never publicised, seriously amazing case material, guaranteed I will likely have come across it.

That too, will be nestling in my files.

I mean proper X-Files material...

There's maybe some, 'bits and pieces' left over...

I have removed the person's name. It's someone we know was serving on base at the time:

"...had slight radiation burns on his face and hands from being in proximity to the object. He covered this up by wearing large sweaters and associated winter clothing. I only noticed it by accident...

He shared the details of having received them that night in the forest while observing the unknown object".

Possibly some unpublished, 'flotsam and jetsam' remaining...

“...stated he had all of the weapons checked inside the bunkers after the incident because of the beams of lights that went into the bunkers. He stated some were damaged and he said there was no damage done to a highly secret bunker”.

Or, from an entirely separate source...

'...told us about the compromised nuclear weapons, face to face'..

How many other such examples might I possess...?

How much time do you have...

I am merely a, 'ufologist', never having taken the 'Queen's shilling' as a full-time government investigator...

I do, however, have a fondness for the subject and lament that which masquerades as credible evidence these days.

One might ponder what the much maligned Larry Warren concludes concerning acceptance of Penniston's new and third different collection of his original sketches and whether hypocrisy comes to mind.

If this case no longer has integrity, I can not publish evidence which will only result in perpetuating same

It requires seperating the, 'wheat from the chaff' and the credible from the fraudulent.

It's too late now for that

If perhaps some, 'really good stuff' lies buried and would be faced with competing against existing and championed bovine excrement...

I can't touch this now.

It requires seperating the, 'wheat from the chaff' and the credible from the fraudulent.

This is entirely accurate. And why I don't interact with this incident as anything more than a thought experiment these days. It can't and won't be solved by documents and confessions.

It is what it was, and we will never know what it was. It has grown into a monster. A monster that has become a business...when money gets involved, careers, I find it hard to trust anyone. It is a whirlwind of misinformation.

It's a great story...something happened (or maybe it didn't) - what do you think it was?

And the answer to that is the best we will ever get to.

Props to Mr. Ridpath tho - he's done such great work.

If perhaps some, 'really good stuff' lies buried and would be faced with competing against existing and championed bovine excrement...
At this stage that would be seriously unlikely.
Just about all the UK Rendlesham files have been released, thanks in large measure to the pressure applied by Dave Clarke, and can be accessed at the National Archives. (Even the original Halt memo – I have touched it!).
It's quite clear that the UK government never took the case seriously, and there's a very telling paper in the files that explains why:
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/trefgarne.html
In the US, Peter Robbins collected a slew of official files which he released in 2014, which confirms that the USAF weren't interested either
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham9.html
In my view, this has been a solved case for over 30 years, despite the efforts of those for whom it has become a career to keep it alive.

As usual, there's a hardcore who don't want explanation, but affirmation. They'll reject (or at least ignore) any evidence or reason that contradicts their held belief. This extends across the whole Fortean field, of course.

This extends across the whole Fortean field, of course.

Not just Fortean!

I never understand this logic. I got into all of this weird stuff as a very, very young child. I loved it then for the same reason I love it now...because it's mysterious and I don't understand it. It makes me think and wonder and imagine. To me it it is magical.

If i wanted to get into something I understood I'd try...train spotting or something.

Last edited:
It there was some as yet never publicised, seriously amazing case material, guaranteed I will likely have come across it.

That too, will be nestling in my files.

I mean proper X-Files material...

There's maybe some, 'bits and pieces' left over...

I have removed the person's name. It's someone we know was serving on base at the time:

"...had slight radiation burns on his face and hands from being in proximity to the object. He covered this up by wearing large sweaters and associated winter clothing. I only noticed it by accident...

He shared the details of having received them that night in the forest while observing the unknown object".

Possibly some unpublished, 'flotsam and jetsam' remaining...

“...stated he had all of the weapons checked inside the bunkers after the incident because of the beams of lights that went into the bunkers. He stated some were damaged and he said there was no damage done to a highly secret bunker”.

Or, from an entirely separate source...

'...told us about the compromised nuclear weapons, face to face'..

How many other such examples might I possess...?

How much time do you have...

I am merely a, 'ufologist', never having taken the 'Queen's shilling' as a full-time government investigator...

I do, however, have a fondness for the subject and lament that which masquerades as credible evidence these days.

One might ponder what the much maligned Larry Warren concludes concerning acceptance of Penniston's new and third different collection of his original sketches and whether hypocrisy comes to mind.

If this case no longer has integrity, I can not publish evidence which will only result in perpetuating same

I can't touch this now.
Fascinating. I think the man reported to have slight radiation burns was likely involved in the cleaning-up operation, and of course blamed it on the "UFO". These people must know just how easily most alleged "ufologists" fall for this story. Some years ago I wrote an article explaining a few "classic" cases as basically the results of mind control experiments, but I see now that the use of alleged space ships has perhaps always been a cover story for black project activity. I'll see if I can give a link to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg3hcine8vhfh04/Disinformation and UFOs.pdf?dl=0

As usual, there's a hardcore who don't want explanation, but affirmation. They'll reject (or at least ignore) any evidence or reason that contradicts their held belief. This extends across the whole Fortean field, of course.
I think the same applies across just about every field, politics and religion particularly!

Not just Fortean!

I never understand this logic. I got into all of this weird stuff as a very, very young child. I loved it then for the same reason I love it now...because it's mysterious and I don't understand it. It makes me think and wonder and imagine. To me it it magical.

If i wanted to get into something I understood I'd try...train spotting or something.
I suppose the distinction is between people like you and me who are fascinated in strange phenomena, and who may have experienced stuff themselves (as I have), and people who want a group or tribe to belong to, for whom ufology of the alien variety offers a home of sorts.

I suppose the distinction is between people like you and me who are fascinated in strange phenomena, and who may have experienced stuff themselves (as I have), and people who want a group or tribe to belong to, for whom ufology of the alien variety offers a home of sorts.

I guess so yeah.

Between those who would stay in the safe, stable cave and those who would leave to explore the forest.

Not just Fortean!
I think the same applies across just about every field, politics and religion particularly!
Of course - it's just with our field of interest there are even fewer agreed points of reference in many cases, so even when you have a fair degree of evidence or a compelling - albeit mundane - explanation there's enough equivocation in the rest of the field to sustain the hardcore of true-believers.

Of course - it's just with our field of interest there are even fewer agreed points of reference in many cases, so even when you have a fair degree of evidence or a compelling - albeit mundane - explanation there's enough equivocation in the rest of the field to sustain the hardcore of true-believers.
Agreed. What is really disturbing is that when the evidence clearly points in another direction, the believers still won't accept it. I think this came about sometime in the 70s -- back in the 60s and early 70s when I was a BUFORA member and keen to take a "scientific" approach most ufologists agreed in the need for that. But ten years later, I came across Vallee's Revelations, and was horrified to read about the stories of secret alien bases under the desert, and then stories of alien abductions all over the place. It seemed as if everybody had said goodbye to their critical faculties.

Hence when he spoke of an object hovering low to the south and losing height, he really meant to the southwest. This was where Sirius was setting.
After much reflection, I believe your impeccable online analysis is our definitive solution.

I didn't quite realise we could place our southern, "star-like" object so close to RAF Bentwaters and that is critical.

Like so much else here discovered of late, it's yet another immense clarification.

As for our, 'beams of light'...with every other aspect either resolved or rationalised, it's hardly likely the twin-base complex coincidentally happened to come under attack, whether by the Soviet Union or beings from another planet.

Halt's later assertion that a beam landed close to him, has to be taken in the context of his categorically unreliable observations via the starlight-scope, plus a power lens.

On tape, he has already, in quick succession, mistakenly believed a small red light has exploded and expressed alarm at the 'glowing farmhouse' and later confirmed he, 'feared for the welfare of its occupants'.

Conversely, in his written testimony of events two nights earlier, Cabansag merely noted the same farmhouse was still 'lit-up' in the early hours of a winter's morning and consequently stood out in the darkness.

Furthermore, Halt has been far from shy about publicly making ludicrous remarks about Burroughs having climbed on top of the object and possibly even carried by it for a short distance, etc.

Burroughs confirms having discussed the first night's events with Halt on a number of occasions, especially at length when both were staying in the same hotel in England during the filming of, 'Strange But True' and Halt knows this actually never happened.

It's this kind of elaboration and downright untruths, which merely serves to comprise what might otherwise have been noteworthy evidence.

If all intented to, 'add a bit of spice', or flavour, this UFO case is now replete with so many contrived falsehoods, it simply ends up leaving a bad taste.

As with most of our reliable evidence, it would appear the early documentation once again holds crucial clues - from Halt's recording ...

"and the objects are still in the sky, although the one to the south looks like it's losing a little bit of altitude".

Halt signs off by summarising:

"We're going around and heading back toward the base".

Perhaps now suitably appropriate to shortly do likewise, here and move on...

What is really disturbing is that when the evidence clearly points in another direction, the believers still won't accept it.
Yes - this is where Ufology and Conspiracy converge: any contrary evidence is actually deliberate misinformation. It's a form of double-think almost akin to fundamentalist religious believers. We're starting to see similar motifs appearing in Cryptozoology.

...the A-10 was the renowned tank-buster aircraft, as opposed to a nuclear bomber. If they were based at Bentwaters, what reason would there be for a WSA there?
I believe it was essentially a resource available to other NATO aircraft, at that time.

From Sgt Randy Smith, assigned to RAF Bentwaters and whose duties covered the weapons storage area:

"Yes, of course there were small, 'hot', tactical nuclear weapons at Bentwaters, as used on an F-16, not large as used on B-52's and B-1's. However, Bentwaters probably had the least weapons, not the 'largest NATO dump' by any means".

Randy Smith.
Lol.
(I'm such a juvenile)

They'll reject (or at least ignore) any evidence or reason that contradicts their held belief. This extends across the whole Fortean field, of course.
Lest we should forget to mention religion and politi...

Oops... that was close...!

:fire:

Last edited:
"Yes, of course there were small, 'hot', tactical nuclear weapons at Bentwaters, as used on an F-16, not large as used on B-52's and B-1's. However, Bentwaters probably had the least weapons, not the 'largest NATO dump' by any means".

In USAF doctrinal terminology the term "WSA" (Weapons Storage Area) is a relatively generic label for a designated storage area. In the more specific context of nuclear weaponry it denotes a particular set of blast-resistant igloo structures within a double-fenced perimeter and subject to the elaborate security requirements for nuclear weapon storage. In and of itself "WSA" does not necessarily mean a controlled area housing nuclear armaments. It only means an area suitable for such storage subject to additional criteria and designation for such use.

Phrased another way ... The more current term that *does* definitely connote a nuclear armaments storage facility is WS3 (Weapons Storage (and) Security System."

There's another complicating factor. I've found allusions to what is apparently an RAF usage of the same label (WSA), but I can't confirm the RAF version mirrors the USAF version.

Having said that ... Bentwaters was originally established as a bomber base, and it had one or more areas with heavy-duty storage bunkers. I have no idea whether those bunkers dated back to WW2 or were of more modern construction.

In any case ... RAF Bentwaters was in fact approved and equipped as a nuclear weapons storage facility as of 1986. It had 25 vaults meeting the prescribed requirements and these were configured for housing up to 100 weapons.*

Given the types of aircraft stationed at Bentwaters (and, for that matter, Woodbridge) there probably wouldn't have been any reason for stocking anything bigger than a battlefield tactical nuke or a nuke-tipped guided missile. The A-10s stationed there as of 1980 were not designed to carry such munitions. However, Bentwaters had a secondary role as an intermediate staging area for F-16s in wartime, and F-16s could carry such munitions. In addition, the types of fighters stationed at Bentwaters prior to 1980 could have carried such munitions.

* See: https://www.nukestrat.com/pubs/EuroBombs.pdf (Appendix B)

RAF Bentwaters was in fact approved and equipped as a nuclear weapons storage facility as of 1986. It had 25 vaults meeting the prescribed requirements and these were configured for housing up to 100 weapons.*
I never understood why the peace protesters were camped outside Greenham Common when most of the nukes were actually at Bentwaters.

Back