• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

In the 2006 movie The Queen played by Helen Mirren, after Diana died a 14 point Stag came to the Queen on the Balmoral Estate.

Is this true or just “ Hollywood imagination “ ?

My wardrobe in my bedroom contains all the usual stuff. However, because I haven't been working for months I have not had to access the shirts and ties etc that hang within it. In fact, I can't remember how long ago it was that I last got anything out of it.
So this morning, I was getting dressed (T-shirt, socks, pants all from my chest of drawers and jeans from my floordrobe) when I was surprised to hear the sound of a plastic clothes hanger dropping to the floor within the wardrobe.

My wardrobe in my bedroom contains all the usual stuff. However, because I haven't been working for months I have not had to access the shirts and ties etc that hang within it. In fact, I can't remember how long ago it was that I last got anything out of it.
So this morning, I was getting dressed (T-shirt, socks, pants all from my chest of drawers and jeans from my floordrobe) when I was surprised to hear the sound of a plastic clothes hanger dropping to the floor within the wardrobe.
The moths are huge now. Don't open the door!

Narnia is trying to invade!

In the metro a lady in front of me had a large Helium balloon.
At stations I imagined that this lighter than air object reacted differently to acceleration than the heavier bodies.
When the metro accelerated it moved forward and when the metro braked it moved backward.
This could be my imagination, but it seemed a reliable observation.
This could have very many causes and I'll not speculate.

In the metro a lady in front of me had a large Helium balloon.
At stations I imagined that this lighter than air object reacted differently to acceleration than the heavier bodies.
When the metro accelerated it moved forward and when the metro braked it moved backward.
This could be my imagination, but it seemed a reliable observation.
This could have very many causes and I'll not speculate.
If that reaction was a reality, then it would surely blow a hole in Newtons law I would imagine?
Unless it comes under the '4th law' - a back draught, and a forward draught? (Maybe?)
Can't be a 'lighter than air object' as there is the mass (though a very light mass) of the balloon itself.

This is because it's a closed system in which one of the components is the surrounding air.
The air is heavier than the balloon so it has more mass & inertia and as such will move forward under deceleration, displacing the lighter balloon, and vice-versa.

I like things to serve an actual efficient purpose. For example, I only make my bed when I change the sheets. Why does the bed need to be made when you're getting into it that night? I learned some of this excellent reasoning as a kid. Hasn't failed me yet :curt:
I don't have fitted sheets because none of them ever seem to fit my mattress. The sheet rides up into ridges and furrows and I have to smooth it before getting into bed so I don't dream I'm sleeping in a ploughed field.

I don't have fitted sheets because none of them ever seem to fit my mattress. The sheet rides up into ridges and furrows and I have to smooth it before getting into bed so I don't dream I'm sleeping in a ploughed field.
Are your sheets the right depth for your mattress? Now they make mattresses at all different thicknesses, you can buy sheets of different depths too, and if your sheets aren't deep enough to tuck under the mattress, they will ride up. You can buy special clips to keep them in place.

Are your sheets the right depth for your mattress? Now they make mattresses at all different thicknesses, you can buy sheets of different depths too, and if your sheets aren't deep enough to tuck under the mattress, they will ride up. You can buy special clips to keep them in place.
My bed is a 'one and three quarters' and has a mattress to fit. Having survived two attempts to purchase new sheets at Dunelm, I've decided I have sufficient to last me out.

If Scargs was around she would have probably already got your bed measurements and run off 3 sets of fitted sheets for you.
However they would most likely be in pink hi-viz polyester with green faux fur edging.

This is because it's a closed system in which one of the components is the surrounding air.
The air is heavier than the balloon so it has more mass & inertia and as such will move forward under deceleration, displacing the lighter balloon, and vice-versa.
Thats a bit weird because the Balloon appears to have been moving in the wrong directions.
i.e.
Train.png

Last edited:
My bed is a 'one and three quarters' and has a mattress to fit. Having survived two attempts to purchase new sheets at Dunelm, I've decided I have sufficient to last me out.
It's not always the size, it can be the depth that's causing the issues. (Oooerrr, missus...)

If the sheets aren't deep enough for the mattress they will come off at the corners.

The balloon is moving in the right direction because it has less mass than the air around it. It just looks wrong because your brain is conditioned to think of larger, solid looking things as being heavier.

If you had a balloon filled with normal air instead of a light gas it would drop to the floor and roll backwards as the vehicle accelerated as the balloon including the air it contains is heavier than the same volume of 'just air' (no balloon).
Now if you placed that balloon full of air in the bottom of an empty tank and then filled that tank with water, that balloon would not stay resting on the bottom of the tank, no, it would float on the surface of the denser water.
That is essentially what is happening when the balloon is filled with helium in an environment of regular air.

I have one of those!
I like things to serve an actual efficient purpose. For example, I only make my bed when I change the sheets. Why does the bed need to be made when you're getting into it that night? I learned some of this excellent reasoning as a kid. Hasn't failed me yet :curt:
I take it that you don't iron pillow cases and sheets either then? My mother used to. I think we had too much electric in the meter and some needed burning off.

Local atmospheric conditions must be a bit 'on the wonk' here.
I can hear distant church bells, and also the trains on the main line - the main line nearest to me runs in a cutting for some distance before then reaching the WGC station to the north, or a slightly elevated section through Stanborough Park to the south. All of which is a bit too distant to hear at any volume anyway.
But not today.
I have no idea where the church bells are as there doesn't really appear to be any churches that have bells near to me, but I know the sounds of bells can travel a long way.

Staple gun
0347CB06-EE8D-4643-B4D4-88227EEE51F3-large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the bus this morning, on a tree-lined road through a neighborhood of expensive estates, we passed a bicyclist carrying a folding wheelchair on his shoulder. It was the kind with small wheels, so it has to be pushed by someone other than the occupant.

After my walk around the park earlier I can confirm this.
I could hear a helicopter (helicopters) approaching for ages before two Apache Gunships eventually came flying overhead, which in itself is fairly unusual.
And I could then hear them flying away from me for ages too.

It can't be air pressure related cos today here it's 1007hpa which is slap-bang in the mid-range.

After my walk around the park earlier I can confirm this.
I could hear a helicopter (helicopters) approaching for ages before two Apache Gunships eventually came flying overhead, which in itself is fairly unusual.

It can't be air pressure related cos today here it's 1007hpa which is slap-bang in the mid-range.

Apaches? Blimey! I've come across several Chinooks in the UK, nut never spotted an Apache. Most of the helicopters around here (Midlands) are naturally of the police or Air Ambulance sort.

Oh yes. Apaches. They seem to fly over these parts every now and then. The chinooks are a tad more frequent.
Occasionally an Osprey will clatter over too.
Last year the Red Arrows passed over a couple of times as well.

I can hear distant church bells, and also the trains on the main line - the main line nearest to me runs in a cutting for some distance before then reaching the WGC station to the north, or a slightly elevated section through Stanborough Park to the south. All of which is a bit too distant to hear at any volume anyway.
But not today.
I have no idea where the church bells are as there doesn't really appear to be any churches that have bells near to me, but I know the sounds of bells can travel a long way.
That takes me back. When I was a kid, my mom ironed tea towels, sheets and pillowcases, clothes etc. The iron must have weighed 5-10 lbs. It was hard work.

My mom stopped ironing probably about the same time I stopped helping her lol.

Funny you should say that. I was upstairs yesterday and heard what I took to be a very low flying helicopter. Ran to the window with it getting louder and louder expecting to see it land on the green as the last one I'd heard that loud did! Well it wasn't where I expected to see it ... it was way higher and hadn't even flown over the house yet. I'd turned the lap top off so didn't look it up on flight radar but it was coming from the direction of Mildenhall.

Funny you should say that. I was upstairs yesterday and heard what I took to be a very low flying helicopter. Ran to the window with it getting louder and louder expecting to see it land on the green as the last one I'd heard that loud did! Well it wasn't where I expected to see it ... it was way higher and hadn't even flown over the house yet. I'd turned the lap top off so didn't look it up on flight radar but it was coming from the direction of Mildenhall.
AFAIK military aircraft don't show on flightradar24. But I only use the basic version, maybe they show on the upgrade one?

No I haven't got the upgrade. I've gone looking for some that are a 'no show' but I've tracked others flying from Mildenhall to the Polish border area.

Back