• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Here's an alternative method. . .
1663181629408.jpeg

To be clear I don't mean I tracked them for the whole time I'm not that sad.

And some people say you've got too much time on your hands!

The only time I track a flight for the whole time is if someone I know is on it and I can get as exicted as if I'm on it myself. I've only ever been on four passenger flights, 3 short trips in a Cessna 206, and one ride in a helicopter and I love flying. :(

So yes I suppose you can call me a sad old bat if you like, but I call it 'being gifted with a good, vivid imagination as a compensation for shite reality.'

That takes me back. When I was a kid, my mom ironed tea towels, sheets and pillowcases, clothes etc. The iron must have weighed 5-10 lbs. It was hard work.

My mom stopped ironing probably about the same time I stopped helping her lol.
My Mum ironed all the sheets and pillowcases as well as all the clothing - and worked full time and had a bunch of kids, I don't know how she did it. And why iron sheets and pillowcases anyway? What a waste of time.
I don't even own an iron!
I wash my tops and jackets in cold water wash, then take them to the dry cleaner to have them all pressed.

My Mum ironed all the sheets and pillowcases as well as all the clothing - and worked full time and had a bunch of kids, I don't know how she did it. And why iron sheets and pillowcases anyway? What a waste of time.
I don't even own an iron!
I wash my tops and jackets in cold water wash, then take them to the dry cleaner to have them all pressed.
My mum ironed knickers, socks, tea towels, all bedding, flannels, towels... I think she believed in Standards, which, if Let Slip would result in my turning out a hoyden and no better than I ought to be.

And, despite all her efforts...

(I don't iron either. Wash stuff, hang it on the line, that's as far as I am prepared to go. Probably why I'm a hoyden).

My wardrobe in my bedroom contains all the usual stuff. However, because I haven't been working for months I have not had to access the shirts and ties etc that hang within it. In fact, I can't remember how long ago it was that I last got anything out of it.
So this morning, I was getting dressed (T-shirt, socks, pants all from my chest of drawers and jeans from my floordrobe) when I was surprised to hear the sound of a plastic clothes hanger dropping to the floor within the wardrobe.
This is nicely strange minor strangeness, but the best part is the word floordrobe.

Local atmospheric conditions must be a bit 'on the wonk' here.
I can hear distant church bells, and also the trains on the main line - the main line nearest to me runs in a cutting for some distance before then reaching the WGC station to the north, or a slightly elevated section through Stanborough Park to the south. All of which is a bit too distant to hear at any volume anyway.
But not today.
I have no idea where the church bells are as there doesn't really appear to be any churches that have bells near to me, but I know the sounds of bells can travel a long way.
Church bells can be heard 8-10 miles away, although today's high rise buildings and background noise (traffic, industry, etc) reduces that considerably.

Church bells can be heard 8-10 miles away, although today's high rise buildings and background noise (traffic, industry, etc) reduces that considerably.
Yeah, I know, or even much further away depending on atmospheric conditions.
And it's fairly flat and rural here in WGC. I think the highest point near here is the dry-ski-slope, and the tallest building is the John Lewis in the town centre which is (I think) only 5 floors high.
Both are quite a distance from me.

Upon investigating I have found that I have a pile of plastic hangers, randomly stacked on a shelf inside the wardrobe (not hanging from the rail) and one of them had slipped from the top of the pile to a lower level.
But still, they had sat there quite happily for months so something must have influenced their ability to remain inert.
I'm thinking maybe a minor tremor of some sort.

Found the source of a sporadic and ominous 3am <click> from downstairs somewhere. I have a small cupboard near the stairs where I stash my spare shoes and coats (and air rifles) and make room for the hoover so that the door just closes shut. By some spooky sleight of hand the hoover then manages to pop the door open again days later, with the sound being incorporated into my dreams.

My mum ironed knickers, socks, tea towels, all bedding, flannels, towels... I think she believed in Standards, which, if Let Slip would result in my turning out a hoyden and no better than I ought to be.

And, despite all her efforts...

(I don't iron either. Wash stuff, hang it on the line, that's as far as I am prepared to go. Probably why I'm a hoyden).
Okay, confession time... I quite like ironing. I find it therapeutic. I iron bedding because getting into a bed that's newly made with ironed stuff is just gorgeous; I iron tea towels because it feels like an additional layer of 'killing bugs'; but I don't iron towels or underwear, or any of Son No 2's many polyester hoodies/shorts/wifebeaters. If it can't be done on a 'Cotton' setting, I don't want to know. :-D.

I don't think I'm a hoyden. But I'm probably no better than I ought to be.

Upon investigating I have found that I have a pile of plastic hangers, randomly stacked on a shelf inside the wardrobe (not hanging from the rail) and one of them had slipped from the top of the pile to a lower level.
But still, they had sat there quite happily for months so something must have influenced their ability to remain inert.
Poltergeist most likely.

Having not come across the word 'Hoyden' before (AFAIK) I perchanced to look up it's etymology.

Apparently it stems from a Middle Dutch word 'heiden/heyden', being the Dutch version of 'heathen', but taken to mean 'boisterous, rustic, uncivilised'.

Okay, confession time... I quite like ironing. I find it therapeutic. I iron bedding because getting into a bed that's newly made with ironed stuff is just gorgeous; I iron tea towels because it feels like an additional layer of 'killing bugs'; but I don't iron towels or underwear, or any of Son No 2's many polyester hoodies/shorts/wifebeaters. If it can't be done on a 'Cotton' setting, I don't want to know. :-D.

I don't think I'm a hoyden. But I'm probably no better than I ought to be.
I USED to iron. When my children were all small, I used to love ironing their little clothes and putting them neatly away in drawers. Then the children would pull out the drawers, throw all the neatly ironed and folded clothes on the floor and stamp on them, whilst playing in the empty drawers or just looking for their favourite socks/t shirt.

I stopped ironing right then.

You can check out Earthquakes Around the British Isles for the latest Earthquake updates. Looks like Sunday was the most recent. So I think we are still at poltergeist. :litg:

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_uk_events.html

Back