• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Allo 'Allo Myth

This is neither here nor there, but I just now discovered I can say "tler" easily and can't make it sound a bit like "klop". :oops:

1. Klop. Duh!

2. Kim Hartman putting the va-voom! in Wehrmacht:

tv-program-allo-allo-stars-kim-hartman-as-helga-german-and-vicki-michele-as-waitress-yvette.jpg

There: Topic closed.

maximus otter

I only recently noticed how very funky the bass line is in the ‘Allo ‘Allo theme tune. Seriously, go and listen to to now.

When choosing walk-up music for a large international company's EMEA conference, we were stumped for something suitable for the CEO, a coldly elegant Frenchwoman. Someone jokingly suggested the 'Allo 'Allo theme, and despite my own personal misgivings (ie. terror), it was chosen.
She had never heard it before, just assumed it was some nice music with a Gallic flavour and happily sashayed down the aisle onto the stage, though she seemed puzzled by the laughter which appeared to be only coming from the British delegates' seating area.
Everyone kept their job, I'm pleased to report...

When choosing walk-up music for a large international company's EMEA conference, we were stumped for something suitable for the CEO, a coldly elegant Frenchwoman. Someone jokingly suggested the 'Allo 'Allo theme, and despite my own personal misgivings (ie. terror), it was chosen.
She had never heard it before, just assumed it was some nice music with a Gallic flavour and happily sashayed down the aisle onto the stage, though she seemed puzzled by the laughter which appeared to be only coming from the British delegates' seating area.
Everyone kept their job, I'm pleased to report...

That's a brilliant story, I giggled!

On the tiresome klop/tler "controversy" (I mean, really?), surely it all depends on how quickly he closes his lips after saying the syllable. If he is quick to do so, the expulsion of air will be obstructed by the lips, which is the first phase in how the consonant sound /p/ is articulated. (The second phase is to push out the trapped air from behind the lips, thus forming the bilabial plosive proper.) If he allows the air to disperse more freely, this sound does not occur, and we just hear the schwa. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that sometimes he did, and sometimes he didn't.
He said that it was because the character wasn't really into the whole nazi business and couldn't be bothered to say Heil Hitler all the time. So he just said the end of Hitler. Tler. He said that he is getting a little fed up with people telling him what he said.
Also it costs him a fortune in stamps answering peoples letters asking him about it.
Furthermore, although he's an actor and therefore ought to have some insight into how he forms the sounds he utters, it is entirely conceivable that he thought he was making the same sound all the time, when in fact it was prone to variation.

The place of articulation of the /k/ consonant sound is the soft palate, while the /t/ is produced by touching the tip of the tongue to the alveolar ridge (the ridge just behind your top teeth), so only a little further along the roof of the mouth from the /k/. In both cases, the tongue then moves forward to touch the top teeth to articulate the /l/ sound. There is thus not much difference in the place of articulation of the initial consonant sounds, which *blinks* also both happen to be unvoiced plosives, so... *yawns* ... the confusion is... *zzzzz*

Last edited:
Allo allo is currently on Drama channel; in the interest of research...

4cbe438c1bb72b5e74c5cd86c037f570.jpg

Subtitles seem to think the emphasis is on HIT.
Hmm

Great article in today's Quora, arguing that Allo Allo was a remarkably accurate depiction of life in occupied France.

"Believe it or not, Allo Allo is actually the most realistic series ever produced on the topic of life in Occupied Europe. It is off-topic, but here are the details you should take into account:

Wehrmacht and Gestapo did not like one another and did actively sabotage one another’s operations.
Most German Officers were by no mean Nazis.
Both spied on one another.
The power of a Gestapo Officer was derived from his mission, not his rank.
The problem the French had with regard to collaboration. Germans are customers and a pub owner could not afford to be rude.
Rationing features prominently in the series: food and fuel mainly.
The problem of feeding and housing downed Allied pilots.
No electricity at night and candles are used.
The corruption within the German system: funds and resources disappear on the black market.
Prostitution as a means to obtain extra rations and/or sustain one’s family (poor old mother of Yvette).
The various French Resistance networks actively sabotaging one another.
The need to cozy up to the Germans in order to get intelligence for the Resistance.
The fact a lot of Frenchman considered de Gaulle to be a deserter (technically he was).
The problems with dropping supplies by the RAF and recovering them (bad weather, no night vision equipment, poor navigation, etc.)
Radio transmissions needed to be kept brief to prevent the Germans from triangulating.
The use of carrier pigeons to contact the British.
The need for a good forger and a good burglar.
Once you start looking at these details, you’ll realize this series is actually incredibly realistic. The makers clearly did their homework."

"Klop". Is this from the same place as Tonto's "kemo sabie" to the Lone Ranger being (allegedly) the Apache for "buffalo shit"?

Before it was shown on tv they had a discussion and a pre-view (with Kilroy-Silk presenting I think it was) for soldiers who had been in WW2. All but one of them found it very funny and weren't offended at all.
I'm sure I read somewhere that most French who've watched it find it funny as well.

Didn't think the French found anything funny,
was once watching The Pink Panther in a bar
in Boudreaux, we were laughing our heads off
the French clearly thought we were stark staring mad.
not a titter.
:dunno:

I'm sure I read somewhere that most French who've watched it find it funny as well

My wife certainly does!

Repeats of Allo Allo, Are You Being Served, Hi De Hi and Dad's Army are often shown in the early evening and we got into the habit of watching them over dinner.
There's a certain benign cosiness about such old comedies and Allo Allo was probably the pick of the bunch (although Mrs. Slocombe's pussy was always good for a laugh).

My wife certainly does!

Repeats of Allo Allo, Are You Being Served, Hi De Hi and Dad's Army are often shown in the early evening and we got into the habit of watching them over dinner.
There's a certain benign cosiness about such old comedies and Allo Allo was probably the pick of the bunch (although Mrs. Slocombe's pussy was always good for a laugh).
.... and I am unanimous in that!

Never noticed this thread until just now. It is bonkers. Or binkers, as Officer Crabtree would say. I have had a right old titter reading it.

For what it's worth, I always got it. Geering was saying "tler" because he couldn't be arsed with saying the whole thing. It never sounded like "klop" to me.

Anyway.... as you were :salute:

Back