• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Have You Got A Double?

I've been confronted a few times in pubs by people who accused me of dealing coke in outlying areas of Worthing. It hasn't happened for a few years, so presumably whoever my lookalike is, has found another source of income.
Maybe you should start dealing coke so your double gets shamed as a recidivist.

I've been confronted a few times in pubs by people who accused me of dealing coke in outlying areas of Worthing. It hasn't happened for a few years, so presumably whoever my lookalike is, has found another source of income.
Maybe gone to prison? Or repented and gone over to the happy-clappies? Or retired on their vast profits? Actually dealers never seem to retire so scratch that last one.

Maybe gone to prison? Or repented and gone over to the happy-clappies? Or retired on their vast profits? Actually dealers never seem to retire so scratch that last one.
Or upset the wrong people and either had to leave the area or experienced a severe case of karma?

Or my appearance has changed (gone from long hair and beard to midlife haircut and clean shaven) and theirs hasn't.

Hopefully I have not posted this before (apologies if so), but Mr Zebra and I were staying at a small hotel in Leeds a few years ago, only staying for one night, and on the following morning whilst packing up the car to leave an older couple approached us and told us that they'd seen a couple that "looked just like you" in the guest house just moments before (at breakfast or something I guess). Whereas we'd been at the car for quite a while packing luggage and dog etc.

It puzzled us, and looking back we perhaps should have gone back in and taken a look for ourselves but it had been somewhat of a stressful trip for one or two reasons and we were just ready for the several-hour drive back home.

Had some experiences in North Devon, specifically Barnstaple that seemed to suggest I had a double (or doppelgänger) that I have posted elsewhere before but not recently.

When I was 18 I didn't go to my nearest College in Tiverton but rather to North Devon College in Barnstaple, the reason being my Mum had got a new job in Barnstaple and we would soon be moving closer. So Barnstaple was an unfamiliar town to me and I only knew a handful of ex-school friends there, none of whom I liked much and so it was a lonely time in addition to all the usual teenage angst.

The College canteen was woeful and so when possible I used to walk to the Pelican chip shop near to the Wrey Arms pub (both still there I believe). During my first few visits the ladies behind the fryer and till would tease me because apparently I had already been in before that lunchtime. I would deny this and eventually I would just catch them exchanging quizzical and knowing glances rather than say anything. I remember being a bit p*ssed off rather than freaked out as the only boy in the college who looked anything like me was three or four inches taller and really skinny.

I left the college that June and got a job right at the other end of town, never going back to the chip shop. The following incident happened several years later after I had gone to work elsewhere. We now lived 10 miles outside of Barnstaple and I would occasionally pay a visit for shopping. I was walking down Litchdon Street towards the town centre. The road is narrow and up ahead were two workmen in their early-20s (similar to me in age). They look like painters and decorators and seemed to have stepped out onto the street for a cigarette and brew. They were watching me walking towards them and were not happy, In fact, they appeared to be expecting me, were making direct, hostile eye contact and preparing for a confrontation. I remember my legs feeling like jelly as I tried to process this, I didn't know there guys, what was going on? Then, as I got within maybe twelve feet of them and on the verge of turning and scarpering, they suddenly looked at each when in a somewhat astonished matter and it was evident that had realised I wasn't who they thought I was. They then looked away a bit shamefaced as I passed them.

The final one was perhaps three years after this one and happened at The Thatch pub in the coastal village of Croyde, ten miles north of Barnstaple. I has driven out there just for the wonderful views from the coast road was enjoying a drink and a cigarette on the outside seated area adjacent to the road. Croyde has a fantastic beach and is a major surfing destination but I was dressed casually. As I relaxed I realised a father and son were giving me hostile looks. They were seated a couple of tables away, not far at all. were completely 'average people', not at all out of place, with the son being perhaps 14. I certainly did not know them but as I pretended not to notice I became aware they were talking about me and it wasn't pleasant. I was able to catch the son was suggesting to dad in a scornful manner that "perhaps I thought I was a surfer now" and the inference was that I was some sort of 'waster' (I was actually now Assistant Manager of a decent hotel). Whoever I was meant to be it was clear I had done something bad or had been dishonest with them. After a while, they got up to leave and in doing so the father gave me one last lingering "I hope you are pleased with yourself" hostile look, although I did also sense a flicker of uncertainty when I reacted passively.

So there you are, these incidents have only happened to me in and around Barnstaple and I rarely visit nowadays, Just hope my double got his due comeuppance, clearly not a nice chap...

I have had one experience that made me think I might have a double. Moreover, a double who shares one of my habits.

Ironically, the incident happened in the New South Wales town of Dubbo - so I think of it as my "Dubbo Double."

A few years ago the better half and I went for a road trip around NSW. We ended up in Dubbo, a smallish town in the middle of the State, and I am quite certain I had never been there before.

We went to do some shopping on the main street - and I spotted a second hand book shop. Being a keen collector of second hand books, I asked for permission to drop in for a while.

As I entered the store I looked around and was pleasantly surprised by the range and number of the books on display, a lot more than would be expected for a country town. "Well", I thought to myself, "If I lived around here I'd be in here all the time!"

The bloke behind the counter looked at me and seemed surprised. "Haven't seen you for a while!" he declared. "You used to be in here all the time!"

Remember that I had never visited Dubbo in my life.

I suppose the exact coincidence between my thoughts and his comments added to the effect.

There’s been a couple of instances over the years. I was once in a clothes shop and waiting to make a purchase. As I approached the counter the sales assistance greeted me with the biggest smile and warm hello. I thought how pleasant it was of her to greet customers in such a bubbly, positive way, almost like a long lost friend. Then I realised she thought I was somebody else, somebody she’d once seen regularly but hadn’t for a while. She realised I was looking puzzled at some of the things she said and eventually reacted with, “You are Julie [or whatever name it was - I can’t recall] aren’t you?” I told her I wasn’t, she looked embarrassed so I said something jokey about having a double to try and make her feel better.

Another instance was several years later and didn’t happen to me but to one of my husband‘s friends who told me about it afterwards. He’s a policeman and was in uniform in our local library when he thought he saw me. He approached who he was convinced was me, asked how things were and began making smalltalk. It soon became obvious this woman wasn’t me and he had to make his apologies. He says she was my spitting image. I can just imagine this woman feeling very confused as to why a police officer had approached her in this way!

Several people have remarked on my dad’s likeness to Anthony Hopkins, I think he has a passing resemblance though my dad is a good ten years younger and English not Welsh. A few years back he was on a cruise and an American couple tentatively approached him, convinced he was the Welsh actor. He told them he wasn’t but they wouldn’t believe him and thought he was just denying it as he was on holiday and didn’t want to be bothered. He told them several times he wasn’t Anthony Hopkins but they wouldn't have it and ended the conversation with, “Don’t worry we won’t spread it around that you are on the cruise, we understand you not wanting to be approached by people when you’re on vacation.”

There’s been a couple of instances over the years. I was once in a clothes shop and waiting to make a purchase. As I approached the counter the sales assistance greeted me with the biggest smile and warm hello. I thought how pleasant it was of her to greet customers in such a bubbly, positive way, almost like a long lost friend. Then I realised she thought I was somebody else, somebody she’d once seen regularly but hadn’t for a while. She realised I was looking puzzled at some of the things she said and eventually reacted with, “You are Julie [or whatever name it was - I can’t recall] aren’t you?” I told her I wasn’t, she looked embarrassed so I said something jokey about having a double to try and make her feel better.

Another instance was several years later and didn’t happen to me but to one of my husband‘s friends who told me about it afterwards. He’s a policeman and was in uniform in our local library when he thought he saw me. He approached who he was convinced was me, asked how things were and began making smalltalk. It soon became obvious this woman wasn’t me and he had to make his apologies. He says she was my spitting image. I can just imagine this woman feeling very confused as to why a police officer had approached her in this way!

Several people have remarked on my dad’s likeness to Anthony Hopkins, I think he has a passing resemblance though my dad is a good ten years younger and English not Welsh. A few years back he was on a cruise and an American couple tentatively approached him, convinced he was the Welsh actor. He told them he wasn’t but they wouldn’t believe him and thought he was just denying it as he was on holiday and didn’t want to be bothered. He told them several times he wasn’t Anthony Hopkins but they wouldn't have it and ended the conversation with, “Don’t worry we won’t spread it around that you are on the cruise, we understand you not wanting to be approached by people when you’re on vacation.”
How odd Mooka. My dad has a remarkable likeness to Anthony Hopkins. Everyone says it, although to my knowledge he’s never been approached by any strangers.

When I was younger, I’d often get approached, normally by teenage girls who thought I was the London Burning actor John Alford. It’s not happened for a number of years now, but then again he is not on the TV any more, after that bogus drug deal with the fake Arab prince / News of the world journalist.

Investigate your own potential non-uniqueness:
https://twinstrangers.net/

Screenshot 2022-11-22 214509.jpg

How long does it take to find my Twin Stranger?​

A: Using TWINSTRANGERS.COM is one of the best and quickest ways to find your TwinStranger. With thousands registering every week you have the best chance to find him/her here. Even if you don't at first find anyone who is your "exact" facial twin, the fact that more and more people are signing up means that your facial twin may discover you. We have had countless matches on TS to date. Check out our facebook page to see the latest Twin Stranger pairing. Remember, the more pictures you have in your profile gallery the easier it will be for your Twin Stranger to find you AND for you to know that your Twin Stranger is a perfect match!

How odd Mooka. My dad has a remarkable likeness to Anthony Hopkins. Everyone says it, although to my knowledge he’s never been approached by any strangers.

When I was younger, I’d often get approached, normally by teenage girls who thought I was the London Burning actor John Alford. It’s not happened for a number of years now, but then again he is not on the TV any more, after that bogus drug deal with the fake Arab prince / News of the world journalist.
Really?!

Thats a blast from the past name, I remember John Alford from Grange Hill.

I was out and about on my travels on Saturday afternoon and was walking to Epping tube station, to catch the train into London. I was walking through a side street with my son and walking towards us was a girl who works in my office named Alex. Alex is easily recognisable, as she is very very pretty. As she got closer, I smiled and stopped and said hello and we made small talk for a few minutes before continuing on our perspective journeys.

I’m in the office today, and as I was walking past her desk this morning mentioned our Saturday meet and asked did she have a nice day on Saturday..? She didn’t have a clue what I was talking about, denied the girl I spoke to was her and said she hasn’t been to Epping in years. I’m gobsmacked. I am literally 100% certain it was her.

Unless of course she has a doppelganger.

I was out and about on my travels on Saturday afternoon and was walking to Epping tube station, to catch the train into London. I was walking through a side street with my son and walking towards us was a girl who works in my office named Alex. Alex is easily recognisable, as she is very very pretty. As she got closer, I smiled and stopped and said hello and we made small talk for a few minutes before continuing on our perspective journeys.

I’m in the office today, and as I was walking past her desk this morning mentioned our Saturday meet and asked did she have a nice day on Saturday..? She didn’t have a clue what I was talking about, denied the girl I spoke to was her and said she hasn’t been to Epping in years. I’m gobsmacked. I am literally 100% certain it was her.

I've mentioned somewhere on here Dick how I had a period for a good few months of being accused of being somewhere I hadn't been. One guy got quite angry when I told him it hadn't been me. It's a very disconcerting feeling, especially when it happens a lot.

I've mentioned somewhere on here Dick how I had a period for a good few months of being accused of being somewhere I hadn't been. One guy got quite angry when I told him it hadn't been me. It's a very disconcerting feeling, especially when it happens a lot.
Yup, my doppelgänger has that effect too. It's not just that you're irritatingly denying being in the place you're accused of visiting, the person seems to get really angry about it. Like really triggered.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere on this forum. There's a guy who does tech work for the HOPE hacker conferences who looks a lot like me, body language and all, but 10-15 years younger.

There was a photo of Jason Alexander (George on Seinfeld) in the TV Guide once, in a role that gave him a beard and a lot of hair. And while I look nothing like him, that photo looked so much like me that when I flipped through the magazine I momentarily said "why am I in the TV Guide?" However, attempts to take a picture of me that looked like it failed miserably.

Coincidence: when I mentioned this to some people I used to work with, they reminded me that I helped produce Jason Alexander's wedding video, before he was famous.

Yup, my doppelgänger has that effect too. It's not just that you're irritatingly denying being in the place you're accused of visiting, the person seems to get really angry about it. Like really triggered.
I was once accosted by a chap as I was coming out of a phone box near Hazelmere, who crossed the road and greeted me like I was his long lost pal. He was incensed when I explained I wasn't, that wasn't my name and he was mistaken. He got so angry I swiftly edged away...quite weird.

I was once accosted by a chap as I was coming out of a phone box near Hazelmere, who crossed the road and greeted me like I was his long lost pal. He was incensed when I explained I wasn't, that wasn't my name and he was mistaken. He got so angry I swiftly edged away...quite weird.
People don't like being told they are wrong, it's as simple as that. And the more insistant you are, the more they will double down and try to convince you that YOU are the one in the wrong.

It happens to me, only mostly with meal deals...

People don't like being told they are wrong, it's as simple as that. And the more insistant you are, the more they will double down and try to convince you that YOU are the one in the wrong.

It happens to me, only mostly with meal deals...
Like when customers pick up the wrong items and have to pay full price? That would be me. :chuckle:

With he doppelgänger anger, the person who thinks they've seen me is not only confused, they are IRATE. They KNOW their OWN NIECE.

If I thought I'd seen someone out, say in the pub, and the person denied it, I'd say 'Oh well, he looked like you!' and drop it.
Maybe I was mistaken. Or the person didn't want to admit being there for some reason, or had been drunk and forgotten which pub they'd reeled into, none of my business, also OK.

I'm sure most people would do the same, rather than causing a longstanding family row about it as happened to me!

A classic example of this phenomenon, thanks for sharing.

Can you remember what you spoke about? Specifically, did you mention your workplace or the names of mutual friends/work colleagues?

When you spoke with her she ws probably desperately thinking 'Who is this bloke? I must know him, can't put a name to the face though!'
Been there, done that. Used to be greeted warmly at work by a pleasant young man who I obviously knew but couldn't identify.
He eventually mentioned my niece, at whose wedding I'd met him a few months before. Ah, riiiiiiigh!

I've been asked if I'm the shock film director Jorg Buttgerite at a gig. I actually knew who the director was but owned up that I wasn't, me and my 'accuser' went on to become really good friends working on student films together. Once, in a nightclub, some bloke was convinced I was the footballer Dennis Bergcamp, he was trying to talk me into going over and pranking some of his mates which I would have done except I don't know anything about football or who the footballer was so I wouldn't have been able to pull the prank off. He made me go over and meet his mates anyway just for chuckles.

Young Jorg .. we've even aged the same way ..

ajorgbuttgereit.jpg

I've been asked if I'm the shock film director Jorg Buttgerite at a gig. I actually knew who the director was but owned up that I wasn't, me and my 'accuser' went on to become really good friends working on student films together. Once, in a nightclub, some bloke was convinced I was the footballer Dennis Bergcamp, he was trying to talk me into going over and pranking some of his mates which I would have done except I don't know anything about football or who the footballer was so I wouldn't have been able to pull the prank off. He made me go over and meet his mates anyway just for chuckles.

Young Jorg .. we've even aged the same way ..

View attachment 62868
You look nothing like Bergkamp!

You look nothing like Bergkamp!
I didn't think so either. The bloke was pissed and it was a dark nightclub to be fair to him .. and I had more hair then. Jorg though has done me proud and has considerately also become a slap head at the same pace I have so we still look alike.

Jorg yesterday ..

ajorg002.jpg

My husband looks very, very like Jurgen Klopp. Took sons to Anfield once and people were giving him thumbs ups... Not sure how many thought they'd seen the real thing.

We have a photo the kids took of him in the shop there, holding up a Jurgen mask. It looks like he's holding a mask of himself. One of my sons' girlfriends calls husband "Jurgs"... Not just looks like him but has the exact same smile (but not the expensive dentistry). When husband was a young man he did the grand tour of Europe with his hippy friends and apparently, in certain countries, he was spat at and called "bosch" (it was the 70s), so he has always looked, er, German.

My husband looks very, very like Jurgen Klopp. Took sons to Anfield once and people were giving him thumbs ups... Not sure how many thought they'd seen the real thing.

We have a photo the kids took of him in the shop there, holding up a Jurgen mask. It looks like he's holding a mask of himself. One of my sons' girlfriends calls husband "Jurgs"... Not just looks like him but has the exact same smile (but not the expensive dentistry). When husband was a young man he did the grand tour of Europe with his hippy friends and apparently, in certain countries, he was spat at and called "bosch" (it was the 70s), so he has always looked, er, German.
A mate took me to see Man Utd v Crystal Palace at Old Trafford back in 1994 (3-0 to Utd). Not a fan myself but a fabulous experience as my local club was Exeter City. We went to a huge bar at Old Trafford before the game (Trafford Inn?) and there in a United shirt was a Mark Hughes double, could very easily have been his twin brother He was just hanging out with some other fans, although he did sit facing the bar and I think he quite enjoyed the reactions he got....

(it wasn't Hughes himself, or I hope not, as he was in the starting line-up back then :) )

A mate took me to see Man Utd v Crystal Palace at Old Trafford back in 1994 (3-0 to Utd). Not a fan myself but a fabulous experience as my local club was Exeter City. We went to a huge bar at Old Trafford before the game (Trafford Inn?) and there in a United shirt was a Mark Hughes double, could very easily have been his twin brother He was just hanging out with some other fans, although he did sit facing the bar and I think he quite enjoyed the reactions he got....

(it was Hughes himself, or I hope not, as he was in the starting line-up back then :) )
Brilliant.

We have 2 kids live in Manc and have to admit I've been nervous walking round Manc city centre with husband, but so far he's not been murdered...

Back