• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

…the top level cannot be disabled by the individual user. This level will indeed turn on the phone if it is off and/or awaken it from aeroplane or silent modes.

As things stand at the moment all originators of alert messages in the UK, including local authorities/councils, will have access to the 'Government' priority level.

- And as your parish, town, district and county councils, plus the national government, may well have their fingers on this Red Button, and because the notion of “an emergency” has a big subjective component, expect lots of alerts…

“A gas main has been punctured…”

“A road has been flooded…”

“A man had been mugged…”

“A tree has fallen on **** Road…”

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

- And as your parish, town, district and county councils, plus the national government, may well have their fingers on this Red Button, and because the notion of “an emergency” has a big subjective component, expect lots of alerts…

“A gas main has been punctured…”

“A road has been flooded…”

“A man had been mugged…”

“A tree has fallen on **** Road…”

:rolleyes:

maximus otter
Therein lies the problem. Similar to the media warnings that the country will grind to a halt due to snowstorms etc, which they have done over the past few months. Too many warnings and people will simply ignore.

Therein lies the problem. Similar to the media warnings that the country will grind to a halt due to snowstorms etc, which they have done over the past few months. Too many warnings and people will simply ignore.
In the same way as many people became less stringent about Covid as time wore on. I guess we evolve a kind of blase immunity to 'yet more dire warnings' and just stop listening, even though the danger may not have abated at all.

In the same way as many people became less stringent about Covid as time wore on. I guess we evolve a kind of blase immunity to 'yet more dire warnings' and just stop listening, even though the danger may not have abated at all.

- Or people realised that the danger to the general public was minimal in the first place, so begin to ignore the shrieks of "We're all going to die!"

maximus otter

Last edited:
- Or people realised that the danger to the general public was minimal in the first place, so begin to ignore the shrieks of "We're all going to die!"

maximus otter
Not sure the danger was minimal, but it did take a while for everyone to realise that it wasn't as dangerous to most people as was at first thought. I prefer not to get ill in any way at all, so I am careful during Norovirus and flu outbreaks as a rule, but eventually even I become deaf to the persistent scaremongering.

Or you can just keep your phone in a 'Faraday Cage'.
These block all signals.
Pouches and wallets using the same principle are available.
1679500565819.png

I forgot to mention this (i think).
I went to put some things in my car a couple of mornings ago before driving down to 'the old place', and was surprised to find the seats and carpets, and some of the plastic trim, criss-crossed with silvery slimy paths as though a slug or snail had taken up residence!
A brief inspection revealed the culprit having a snooze on the car mat in the passenger footwell.
He was rapidly introduced to the outside world via a quick shaking of the mat.
He must have hitch-hiked his way into my motor via the bottom of a plastic garden tub that I took to the dump the previous day.

…the seats and carpets, and some of the plastic trim, criss-crossed with silvery slimy paths as though a slug or snail had taken up residence!
A brief inspection revealed the culprit having a snooze on the car mat in the passenger footwell.
He was rapidly introduced to the outside world via a quick shaking of the mat.
He must have hitch-hiked his way into my motor via my laundry basket.

FTFY

maximus otter

Those slugs can be tricky though.
A couple of weeks ago I found a large slug on the toilet floor.
There was a slimy trail halfway down the screen on the small window at the back and where it had started off was on the other side of the screen for a few centimetres.
I still can't work out how it got through as the mesh is very small.

Those slugs can be tricky though.
A couple of weeks ago I found a large slug on the toilet floor.
There was a slimy trail halfway down the screen on the small window at the back and where it had started off was on the other side of the screen for a few centimetres.
I still can't work out how it got through as the mesh is very small.
Slugs don't have a skeleton. They can squeeze down really tiny. I mean, have you seen how small a space a mouse or rat can get through? And they have hard bones!

In my house the slugs are coming in through the cat flap, which is just rude.

Slugs don't have a skeleton. They can squeeze down really tiny. I mean, have you seen how small a space a mouse or rat can get through? And they have hard bones!

In my house the slugs are coming in through the cat flap, which is just rude.
Yup, we used to get slugs coming in that way when we kept dogs. If I went downstairs in the early hours I'd see the slugs slurping around the dog food bowls.
The big dog once went to his bowl, spotted them and jumped out of his skin. :chuckle:

The Waitrose magazine is only free to loyalty cardholders so it does have cover price (£3.75 apparently) just one that few ever pay. The other mechanism that could confuse is a 'free with minimum spend' offer.

oxo
Oxo- is your avatar a Red Kite ?

The Waitrose mag causes some confusion among customers who fail to produce a arc. I wondered if this was a factor for Catseyes customer..

Oxo- is your avatar a Red Kite ?

The Waitrose mag causes some confusion among customers who fail to produce a arc. I wondered if this was a factor for Catseyes customer..

Yes it is a Red Kite. They are very smart birds that only swoop down low when they are sure I don't have my camera on me. This shot isn't quite in focus but at least kitey was hovering.

Probably not a factor in Catseye's transaction, but I wonder how often shoppers pick up the Waitrose mag assuming it's free and don't check that they've been charged.

Yes it is a Red Kite. They are very smart birds that only swoop down low when they are sure I don't have my camera on me. This shot isn't quite in focus but at least kitey was hovering.

Probably not a factor in Catseye's transaction, but I wonder how often shoppers pick up the Waitrose mag assuming it's free and don't check that they've been charged.
Don't think any of this was a factor for my customer since the magazine was displayed up on the rack with all the other 'paid for' magazines and back when we used to have 'in store' copies of the Co Op magazine they were always displayed by the tills. I think the customer was either trying it on or confused when she said she didn't have to pay in any other shop. They may well have given away magazines, but not THAT magazine, basically.

Red kites are just starting to move in here (North York Moors). There are pockets of them but they just haven't joined up yet. My daughter was at Oxford and used to regale me with stories of the kites she could see from her window. Whenever I went down to visit they were conspicuously absent, except for once when about ten hovered over my train as we sat at Didcot Parkway and I slightly feared I was about to be in a Hitchcock remake.

Don't think any of this was a factor for my customer since the magazine was displayed up on the rack with all the other 'paid for' magazines and back when we used to have 'in store' copies of the Co Op magazine they were always displayed by the tills. I think the customer was either trying it on or confused when she said she didn't have to pay in any other shop. They may well have given away magazines, but not THAT magazine, basically.

Red kites are just starting to move in here (North York Moors). There are pockets of them but they just haven't joined up yet. My daughter was at Oxford and used to regale me with stories of the kites she could see from her window. Whenever I went down to visit they were conspicuously absent, except for once when about ten hovered over my train as we sat at Didcot Parkway and I slightly feared I was about to be in a Hitchcock remake.
Only about a mile or so south of Didcot is Blewburton Hill, an Iron Age hillfort, where the red kites swarm majestically all over the hilltop... and yet I can still never get a decent photo!

I had a minor strangeness the other night. I came home from work and went upstairs (just 'upstairs', @Floyd1 not 'upstairs upstairs') where I found the that door to my spare bedroom was open.

I keep that door closed, mostly because cats can get in through the window (which I often leave open) and I don't want them to get into the rest of upstairs (there's a door downstairs to stop anything from downstairs getting upstairs, if you follow.) My dog would kill a cat if she caught one in the house, so I want to keep any accidental ingress contained.

It had been breezy, but I live on the top of a hill and it's quite often windy but I've never known that door to open on its own before.

I had a minor strangeness the other night. I came home from work and went upstairs (just 'upstairs', @Floyd1 not 'upstairs upstairs') where I found the that door to my spare bedroom was open.

I keep that door closed, mostly because cats can get in through the window (which I often leave open) and I don't want them to get into the rest of upstairs (there's a door downstairs to stop anything from downstairs getting upstairs, if you follow.) My dog would kill a cat if she caught one in the house, so I want to keep any accidental ingress contained.

It had been breezy, but I live on the top of a hill and it's quite often windy but I've never known that door to open on its own before.
Probably best not to leave the window open.

Watch a couple of Mr Ballen episodes. That'll cure you of leaving windows open when you're out.

(Also of skindiving, caving, surfing, cave diving, (ESPECIALLY cave diving!) or sailing, gliding, going to hospital, not going to hospital, walking dogs, mountain hiking, orienteering, mountain walking, in fact walking anywhere or staying where you are or going to bed. At home or anywhere else.)

These last few years I've seen Red Kites over the South Downs.

For the last 3 mornings on the highest part of my roof doves will line up on one side and robins on the other side and then they fight.

The doves are the ones to leave the roof after a few robin pecks.

Do these birds have “ Covid brain “ and are crazy ?

Watch a couple of Mr Ballen episodes. That'll cure you of leaving windows open when you're out.

(Also of skindiving, caving, surfing, cave diving, (ESPECIALLY cave diving!) or sailing, gliding, going to hospital, not going to hospital, walking dogs, mountain hiking, orienteering, mountain walking, in fact walking anywhere or staying where you are or going to bed. At home or anywhere else.)
Yes, Mr Ballen is fantastic. I do wish he would not do so much true crime.

On the route I usually walk our dog I always look out for an elderly lady. She waves at me through the window and comes out for a chat if the weather is ok.

A few days ago I saw her in the chair but not clearly enough so didn't wave. A neighbour of her informed me that she sadly passed away about ten days ago.

I have little doubt that I saw a coat or something over the chair and my brain filled in the blanks...or did it...

Where I park my van in the car park to the two towers blocks where I live, the entrance is via a short downhill road that bends to the left before getting into the car park proper.

There's only about a dozen or so vehicles that park there. Considering the car park is in the middle of an area of permit parking where drivers would kill for a parking space it seems at odd which the 50 odd empty parking spaces in the car park.

What's odd is potholes are starting to appear in the very short road that leads to the car park. Considering there's very few cars that drive in and out and at very slow speed it's strange how the potholes seemingly appeared almost over night. Stranger still is the potholes are in the middle of the road where car tyres don't make any contact with the road surface.

I reckon there's 'people' going around at night time who work for Gov Secret Operations who are paid to do this all over the country. MIO maybe? (Men in Overalls).

Back