• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

What? Men don't ask for directions. :chuckle:
Men are superior. They don't need to ask directions in order to get lost.
Years ago I was headed for Preston and pulled over to ask a woman for directions before I got too far in. She didn't know, but suggested I go into the butchers as he'd lived here all his life. The butcher not only was the splitting image of Fred Elliot (coronation st butcher at the time) he spoke like him too.

He put his arm around me and guided me outside- ''Come here lad, I said come here. You need t' stay on this road, I said stay on this road, until you come t'ring road. Only town in England wi' a ring road that goes through it.......''

Years ago I was headed for Preston and pulled over to ask a woman for directions before I got too far in. She didn't know, but suggested I go into the butchers as he'd lived here all his life. The butcher not only was the splitting image of Fred Elliot (coronation st butcher at the time) he spoke like him too.

He put his arm around me and guided me outside- ''Come here lad, I said come here. You need t' stay on this road, I said stay on this road, until you come t'ring road. Only town in England wi' a ring road that goes through it.......''
Would recommend you avoid Preston by car- it's been turned upside down by continuing "improvements". Drives you to a gibbering wreck it does.

Attachments

• KW.jpg
    KW.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 5
As a side not I HATE that interrogative style of speech where every statement sounds like a question. Not sure I could listen to your sat nav without smashing it to pieces.
There's another type of accent (British) that I really hate but I can't describe it. I've heard a couple of examples on tv lately.
Mind you, heaven knows what a lot would think of my mongrel tones.

There's another type of accent (British) that I really hate but I can't describe it. I've heard a couple of examples on tv lately.
Mind you, heaven knows what a lot would think of my mongrel tones.
I've noticed on TV adverts now some really fake Northern accents, particularly for life/death insurance and funeral plans. It's enough to put a Northerner off buying their products (not that I buy anything advertised anyway but still)

I've noticed on TV adverts now some really fake Northern accents, particularly for life/death insurance and funeral plans. It's enough to put a Northerner off buying their products (not that I buy anything advertised anyway but still)
I'll try to find an example of the one I'm on about. On second thoughts- better not- it could cause great offence.

I've noticed that Channel four news seem to be interviewing more people with 'different accents' these days. Usually though, with the 'street interviews' it's used to make the point that 'the plebs don't know what they're on about'.
Although you can't blame them really, when the other day Waynetta Slob a woman from Cannock actually said ''it's all bollocks'' when referring to a particular subject (politics related).

What? Men don't ask for directions. :chuckle:
I was out for a run yesterday and and was flagged down by a delivery man in a white van. He asked if I was local and when I said I was his relief was audible. He was looking for one of the local farms (because we are such a rural area, one post code covers about a mile's worth of various farms), and I was able to tell him he was only one farm away. He then told me how he'd been driving up and down the road in every conceivable direction (there are only two, it's that kind of place) searching for the farm.

They had their gate open, so the name wasn't visible from the road. I guess it was open because they are having a new barn put up and there's lots of big lorries going in and out, but it's not doing them any favours!

Re Sat Navs etc. Bath is full of people gazing at the map App on mobile phones, oblivious to where they are going and what they are. missing. I volunteer at a small cultural centre not far from the Jane Austen centre, Often get people wandering in, who insist on telling me that this is the Jane Austen centre and showing me their phones as proof. As we are currently having an exhibition about Beetles they are surprised.

If they are polite and pleasant I set them on the right track with a picture map. If they persist then I sadly deny all knowledge of JA.

The In-House GP went into the garage earlier to fetch some port and came back reporting that he had found quite a big worm on the floor there, drying out nicely. I asked if he had re-homed it and he had indeed chucked it onto the flower bed at the side where it was pathetically flopping around NOT getting into the soil.

A worm? In the garage? Why so strange, you ask. Because he went in again about ten minutes later and there was another long worm on the garage floor, which also got a trip to the floor bed. As the other one hadn't dug itself in yet, the IHGP covered them both with soil and left them to it.

He wondered if they had come in on my bikes. Unlikely, I feel. Just a moment of minor weirdness that he felt compelled to report to me.

Yesterday I scanned a copy of Country Living magazine for a customer (a woman, not elderly but certainly veering toward the older side. She was in with her husband). She asked me whether it was free. I said no, it was £5.99.

She then proceeded to tell me that it was always free, that it was free in 'the other shop' (another branch of the Co Op in a town a few miles away) and that she wasn't going to pay for it.

I tried to tell her that she was thinking of the old Co Op magazine - which is now entirely online as it has been for months, and anyway looks absolutely nothing like Country Living (which, for the unitiated, is a very glossy mag featuring aspirational interiors and gardens). But she would not have it. No, all other shops, apparently, give away Country Living magazine for free.

Absolutely no idea what she was on about. She seemed otherwise sane-ish, and not as though she were trying to blag something. Her husband did look a bit embarrassed though, so I wonder if she was just a bit confused. But her general attitude was that I was trying to scam her out of £5.99 by scanning the magazine...

Yesterday I scanned a copy of Country Living magazine for a customer (a woman, not elderly but certainly veering toward the older side. She was in with her husband). She asked me whether it was free. I said no, it was £5.99.

She then proceeded to tell me that it was always free, that it was free in 'the other shop' (another branch of the Co Op in a town a few miles away) and that she wasn't going to pay for it.

I tried to tell her that she was thinking of the old Co Op magazine - which is now entirely online as it has been for months, and anyway looks absolutely nothing like Country Living (which, for the unitiated, is a very glossy mag featuring aspirational interiors and gardens). But she would not have it. No, all other shops, apparently, give away Country Living magazine for free.

Absolutely no idea what she was on about. She seemed otherwise sane-ish, and not as though she were trying to blag something. Her husband did look a bit embarrassed though, so I wonder if she was just a bit confused. But her general attitude was that I was trying to scam her out of £5.99 by scanning the magazine...
I bet he crawled up his own backside. :hahazebs:

Funny that she asked you if it was free before arguing. Possibly seeing if you'll just give it to her to shut up her complaining. The other places may have given it to her for "free":clap:

I HATE that interrogative style of speech where every statement sounds like a question
High Rising Terminal, or Upspeak. It drives me disproportionately crazy (not in a good way)

I'll try to find an example of the one I'm on about
No, please do exactly this. Give us a few clues, and we can subjectively-dissect it's potentially-disgraceful shortcomings. And by opposing, end them (in our meta hivemind)

Just a moment of minor weirdness that he felt compelled to report to me
But if you are his boss, why would he not report this to you? It just seems....appropriate

She then proceeded to tell me that it was always free, that it was free in the other shop
Sounds more likely to be a manic episode, or dementia: I would've preferred a putative parallel universe scenario

The In-House GP went into the garage earlier to fetch some port and came back reporting that he had found quite a big worm on the floor there, drying out nicely. I asked if he had re-homed it and he had indeed chucked it onto the flower bed at the side where it was pathetically flopping around NOT getting into the soil.

A worm? In the garage? Why so strange, you ask. Because he went in again about ten minutes later and there was another long worm on the garage floor, which also got a trip to the floor bed. As the other one hadn't dug itself in yet, the IHGP covered them both with soil and left them to it.

He wondered if they had come in on my bikes. Unlikely, I feel. Just a moment of minor weirdness that he felt compelled to report to me.
A few years ago I found a worm on a station platform. As I was on way to a train the best I could do was place it in a nearby very large planter.
When passing along there now I wonder how it's doing. :thought:

In a similar vein at the local Tesco Express (dubbed Harrods by the locals) there is a woman who persistently tries to blag a free carrier bag on the basis that she "can't afford it". This despite her shopping containing booze and fags. Employees have finally caught on and tell her no free bags, but doesn't stop her trying it on.

In a similar vein at the local Tesco Express (dubbed Harrods by the locals)
Years ago a woman (who one guy once told me ''would argue with her own fingernails'') was moaning on the local f/b page that she'd gone in the co-op, bought a few items and it had come to a whopping £10 ish - Shock horror!

I asked if she had not looked at the prices as she was chucking the stuff in her basket- to be told ''I'm not a man, I don't have time for that''.

Funny that she asked you if it was free before arguing. Possibly seeing if you'll just give it to her to shut up her complaining. The other places may have given it to her for "free":clap:
She can complain all she likes - she's not getting a £5.99 mag for nothing!
Sounds more likely to be a manic episode, or dementia: I would've preferred a putative parallel universe scenario
I think dementia is the most likely explanation, judging from her husband's expression and their ages. Or just a plain mistake. We don't give away magazines unless it's the store magazine, any that we don't sell we return for our money back. I think she'd got confused with the Co Op store magazine although there are almost no points of similarity and the store mag was always next to the tills, not on the magazine shelf with all the other magazines which also need to be paid for.

A bit of minor strangeness. Pulled into the local ish large petrol station this am -one of those with Costa cafe and the rest. Happened to glance over at the side of the fuel pumps to see that an outdoor launderette had been installed . 2 commercial washers and 1 dryer installed under quite a small canopy. Never seen this before. Very little protection from the weather, robbery and vandalism I wonder how long they will last. The cost must have been huge. Anyone else seen one of these installations before?

A bit of minor strangeness. Pulled into the local ish large petrol station this am -one of those with Costa cafe and the rest. Happened to glance over at the side of the fuel pumps to see that an outdoor launderette had been installed . 2 commercial washers and 1 dryer installed under quite a small canopy. Never seen this before. Very little protection from the weather, robbery and vandalism I wonder how long they will last. The cost must have been huge. Anyone else seen one of these installations before?
No, but a 'parcel collection cabinet' type thing has turned up outside Lidl here.

Don't know whether this is minor or major strangeness but the Government "Armageddon Alerts" on your phone are to start soon, with their don't leave home type warnings. I doubt I'll get warned cos I don't give my number out so no doubt I'll drown in flooding/ice/ die in nuclear attack/ etc. Mmm thin end of the wedge methinks.

Yes I’ve seen a few petrol stations with these. My local Morrisons has them too, outside in the car park.

Don't know whether this is minor or major strangeness but the Government "Armageddon Alerts" on your phone are to start soon, with their don't leave home type warnings. I doubt I'll get warned cos I don't give my number out so no doubt I'll drown in flooding/ice/ die in nuclear attack/ etc. Mmm thin end of the wedge methinks.
Every phone handset in the target cell site(s) will receive them whether or not they’re switched off or in aeroplane or silent mode. The powers that be can decide which cell sites to target at national, regional or local level. They don’t need to know your phone number or any of your personal details; these emergency alerts are not sent like a normal text message, they are sent by all the mobile carriers to every handset. The phone doesn’t even need to be registered as long as it has a sim card installed. It is an inbuilt function in every handset and has been for years now.

Back