• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Yes ....agree it's a great collection Mecury Crest ! It's kept me busy with good reading material for 4 nights now :)

Possibly off topic but I just can't take anything on Reddit seriously anymore, not that I ever did.. but no. There's just too much 'noise' devoid of substance over all.
You mean the paranormal-type content? Have to say I barely browse it. There are only so many ways a teenager can try to describe a jump-scare. :chuckle:

There are plenty of more down-to-earth subs to enjoy.

i thought this was quite an interesting Reddit post about bright lights outside a house captured on an internal camera. It has been posted on the CasualUK sub, which is more usually home to photos of roast dinners and old postboxes, rather than any of the paranormal ones:

My parents noticed these strange lights on my Grandma’s home security cameras, and we have no idea what they could be.

It appears to move around the front garden of her house in a really unnatural way.

There is a lawn in front of the window that it appears in with thick bushes at the other end, so it can’t be light coming from the road. She lives in a tiny rural village on the Cheshire/North Wales border too so there’s barely any cars even in the daytime!

Also, we don’t think it’s a torch as we can’t see any people on the video, and the light seems extremely bright for a torch anyway!

You can also hear it’s setting the doorbell off too, so could it possibly be ball lightning triggering it with electrical interference?

Also, if anyone knows a good sub to crosspost this to, please let me know!

He has uploaded the video to Youtube:

Around christmas I posted on this board about lights recorded outside my sister’s house on a Ring CCTV camera but they turned out to probably be an optical illusion caused by snow falling on the infrared light. The ones in the video above are rather more difficult to work out what’s going on!

i thought this was quite an interesting Reddit post about bright lights outside a house captured on an internal camera. It has been posted on the CasualUK sub, which is more usually home to photos of roast dinners and old postboxes, rather than any of the paranormal ones:

He has uploaded the video to Youtube:

Around christmas I posted on this board about lights recorded outside my sister’s house on a Ring CCTV camera but they turned out to probably be an optical illusion caused by snow falling on the infrared light. The ones in the video above are rather more difficult to work out what’s going on!
I am in no way familiar with the country of Wales, but, depending on how close this home is to the sea, what about a lighthouse beacon? I don't always believe when people post about "weird" lights. The way the light moves past at fairly regular intervals (for the short 30 seconds clip) and the way it lights up the entire room reminds me of a lighthouse beacon.

And why only a 30 second clip? What about posting a couple of minutes to show the before and after times?

The poster mentions ball lightning as a possibility. Maybe, as I don't know what effects are created by ball lightning.

I’ve stayed in a couple of holiday lets in Wales where you could see the Bardsey lighthouse blinking; it’s red, used to be white then was changed to red much to the annoyance of an uncle who loves to see it at night. The North Wales/Cheshire border is far inland. It looks more like lights of an ambulance or police vehicle etc? But if there was no noise of them and it’s setting of the Ring doorbell that’s extremely strange. Did the Ring doorbell not capture anything? Our records all the time.

Having grown up on the North Wales / Cheshire border, there are definitely no lighthouses visible.

The poster has now updated their post to say that the mystery is solved...it was a couple of paramedics. His relative had accidentally set off a personal emergency alarm earlier that day.

Having grown up on the North Wales / Cheshire border, there are definitely no lighthouses visible.

The poster has now updated their post to say that the mystery is solved...it was a couple of paramedics. His relative had accidentally set off a personal emergency alarm earlier that day.
A-ha. So the MiBs have paid a visit then....

Oh dear, how dull! I’m feeling a bit silly now for getting so interested in this one.

Unfortunately it does descend into 'everyone who believes in ghosts is delusional' territory, but I did wade in and try to keep our end up!
That’s what put me off of the last mumsnet one. ‘I don’t know what ghosts are but they definitely don’t exist and all those millions of people who have experienced something are just off their rocker’.

Agree with the above, some people seem very challenged and when others relate a ghost sighting.

However, the thread is worth it for the woman who saw a businessman in a suit appear in her flat, make eye contact and then react with utter confusion before promptly vanishing. Ghost or time-slip? I don't know but I love it...!

UK big cat sightings and musings:

I thought this post was interesting:

There's plenty of evidence for non-native big cats having lived wild in the UK. Not a whole load of them, mostly lynx and a couple of pumas, almost certainly all escaped or released pets, and the numbers are perhaps 10-15 overall.

There's also some reasonable evidence that pumas were released onto Dartmoor in the early 80s, as some which were supposed to have been moved from Plymouth zoo went unaccounted for. According to locals that claimed to be familiar with them, they supposedly did breed, but died out between 2000-2010.

Plausible sightings suggest that there might be a very small handful of big cats living wild still. Probably closer to servals or caracals, or perhaps even fossas (not a cat, but would look like one) than pumas or leopards, but those are not totally unfeasible.

However, what there's almost certainly currently not is a sustainable breeding population of any species, or even more than one in any one place, since the supposed Dartmoor population died out.

Oh, and there was a report of a 'large black cat' very close to where I live, which was reported on in the local press, but I'm pretty sure that was literally my large black cat.

Additionally, my neighbours literally kept a lion in their back garden.. I would not be completely surprised if at some point they'd had other cats there which escaped and that they kept quiet about, but there's no indication to say they did. I think that if that happened they'd have asked locals to help them find it rather than just keeping totally silent.

Agree with the above, some people seem very challenged and when others relate a ghost sighting.

However, the thread is worth it for the woman who saw a businessman in a suit appear in her flat, make eye contact and then react with utter confusion before promptly vanishing. Ghost or time-slip? I don't know but I love it...!
Oh maybe parallel worlds. All the Prof Brian Coxs on there made my blood boil. At least we try and keep an open mind here.

That’s what put me off of the last mumsnet one. ‘I don’t know what ghosts are but they definitely don’t exist and all those millions of people who have experienced something are just off their rocker’.
It's the conflation of "So many people have seen some kind of ghost they must be real" with "Ghosts are a real non-corporeal independent entity."

The second does not necessarily follow the first.

Kinda the reverse "Ghosts are not real, therefore only mad people see ghosts".

Kinda said it before but the phenomenon of ghost sightings is almost certainly real. Ghost as entities strikes me as very very very very very unlikely.

One of those things where the detection mechanism might well be the root of the phenomena and 'antis' dismiss it as madness and 'believers' don't examine that proposition.

Back