• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Not clicking a link without some explanation of why it's interesting, so what's going on there then?
You don’t have to go through the link there’s a read more will open it here. Basically they saw a black square/dead pixel I. The sky.

You don’t have to go through the link there’s a read more will open it here. Basically they saw a black square/dead pixel I. The sky.
Nope, on my screen it's just 'view the conversation' which takes you to the Reddit page.

This is the most relevant part.

"On my way to the metro station, I was looking around and just admiring the outside (it was truly a beautiful day), when I saw a helicopter in the sky. There was no sound, which was very odd as since we all know it, helicopters are bloody loud. The helicopter looked suspended in the air, not moving at all, including the rotor at the top.

I looked down to check my glasses, as maybe I was seeing it wrong, or maybe I was just tired after a long shift, but to my surprise, when I looked up again, the helicopter disappeared and was replaced by a black pixel in the sky. By pixel I mean a black square in the middle of clear blue sky. I immediately called my friend who was in the area and asked her to take a look at the sky, but she told me there was nothing up there."

I’m not sure where the poster comes from. Because they talk of working in a gas station but then likens the helicopter to a UK Police one.

It doesn't liken the helicopter to anything in that post. Is there another one with a helicopter?

I thought everyone knew that things don't exist unless someone is looking. Perhaps they weren't quite quick enough to put that bit of sky there in time!

It doesn't liken the helicopter to anything in that post. Is there another one with a helicopter?

I thought everyone knew that things don't exist unless someone is looking. Perhaps they weren't quite quick enough to put that bit of sky there in time!
Sorry I meant to say it was in the comments.
IMG_1306.jpeg

Sorry I meant to say it was in the comments. View attachment 67198

It was about the size of a thumb, or a bit bigger…”

If he means “the apparent size of a thumb at arm’s length”, then there’s no way he would be that close to a flying helicopter. Flying within 500’ of a person is forbidden without prior written permission from the Civil Aviation Authority.

s.5(3)(1)(b) on page 5 here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/734/pdfs/uksi_20070734_en.pdf

maximus otter

It was about the size of a thumb, or a bit bigger…”

If he means “the apparent size of a thumb at arm’s length”, then there’s no way he would be that close to a flying helicopter. Flying within 500’ of a person is forbidden without prior written permission from the Civil Aviation Authority.

s.5(3)(1)(b) on page 5 here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/734/pdfs/uksi_20070734_en.pdf

maximus otter
I’d say the police helicopter I saw yesterday would have been that. Police ‘copters could be lower than normal because they are usually searching for something or someone.

I’d say the police helicopter I saw yesterday would have been that. Police ‘copters could be lower than normal because they are usually searching for something or someone.

s.6(e) on page 6 of the above legislation grants an exemption to police helicopters re the 500’ rule, though I’d imagine that the crew would have to have very good reason to be closer to people.

maximus otter

One story that seems to stick with people and is mentioned on the 1 million subscribers thread. The water wheel, it remembered it too. It’s extremely interesting and seems to hold the posters fate. It ever much reminds me of the wheel of fortune card in tarot. I do wonder if anyone else has ever experienced similar.

https://www.nderf.org/Experiences/1wilson_fde.html

I have heard a story very similar to this. I can't remember, but I do believe it is from a fiction novel. The ones that come to mind are Stephen King's The Gunslinger series, though it's many years since I have read any of these.

King's series is about many interconnected worlds and times. The Gunslinger can alter ka and any actions in one world alter another. This is the series that comes to mind, but I don't remember if one novel described a large wheel.

On ADB-S exchange I have never seen police helicopters lower than about 700ft. That is not to say they don't ever go lower, it's more that I havn't seen it.

I'm suspicious of this author as there seems way too much build-up to the actual alleged event that to my mind is a red flag (that is, the pixel is not the focus of the writing but rather the author themselves).
It's tricky, isn't it, because we're told that detail is important, but too much detail detracts from the story. Sometimes people focus on the wrong details...

It's tricky, isn't it, because we're told that detail is important, but too much detail detracts from the story. Sometimes people focus on the wrong details...
I feel it is too often a 'fingerprint' of a fictional story when the focus is on the author's life story and opinions and not the actual mystery

s.6(e) on page 6 of the above legislation grants an exemption to police helicopters re the 500’ rule, though I’d imagine that the crew would have to have very good reason to be closer to people.

maximus otter
Pah! That wasn't my experience when the police bird was based at Exeter headquarters just up the road. They seemed to love using our estate as practice for looking for people at a low height. Now they have moved out to Exeter Airport we get buzzed by them less.

However, as a former resident of the first hill at the edge of the Fens when the RAF boys suddenly thought, "Sh!t, gotta get above 200 ft fast!", I am relatively immune to low-flying aircraft...

Pah! That wasn't my experience when the police bird was based at Exeter headquarters just up the road. They seemed to love using our estate as practice for looking for people at a low height. Now they have moved out to Exeter Airport we get buzzed by them less.

However, as a former resident of the first hill at the edge of the Fens when the RAF boys suddenly thought, "Sh!t, gotta get above 200 ft fast!", I am relatively immune to low-flying aircraft...
Ha ha!

A school friend lived on a farm near Iddesleigh in Devon, set on a high ridge above the Taw river valley. An RAF Hercules flew so low it took the top off a tall chimney attached to a disused foundry.

Just found another gem on reddit: Ok, but really. What's the deal with the Appalachian Mountains?

Just so we're on all on the same page, the Appalachians are on the East Coast (thereabouts) of the US. Lots of strange lore about the area going back generations covering all sorts of things from lizard-folk to the Brown Mountain Lights. There are some good stories from folks in the area in this one.

Just found another gem on reddit: Ok, but really. What's the deal with the Appalachian Mountains?

Just so we're on all on the same page, the Appalachians are on the East Coast (thereabouts) of the US. Lots of strange lore about the area going back generations covering all sorts of things from lizard-folk to the Brown Mountain Lights. There are some good stories from folks in the area in this one.
The excellent Small Town Monsters team have investigated paranormal goings-on in the Appalachians and have released a box set of their work:

"Featuring all three Appalachian Monsters films in one box set! Own The Mothman of Point Pleasant, Invasion on Chestnut Ridge and The Flatwoods Monster: A Legacy of Fear"

https://www.smalltownmonsters.com/shop/volume2

I really enjoyed reading the stories. The Appalachian Mountain and if I remember correctly, the Blue Ridge Mountains, are both very weird yet not weird at all. Going by the people posting there seems to be a strange kind of acceptance that the place is very strange and 'don't worry about it'

Back