• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Panic: A Genuine Example In The Old Sense Of The Word?

Yes none of the foliage overhangs the footpath where she would be doing her walking.
Not sure if she's the one who drops their cigarette butts and packets on the path and in the garden.
Our council is trying to get people to keep trees and make it greener as it lowers the temperature.
Just ignore her completely, and put a camera outside to film whoever is throwing debris on your property.

I have quite a few bushes and flowers in my front yard and I remember a couple of years ago a woman who had recently moved into the court commenting that I should cut it all down. I asked her if it upset her and she answered "yes"
Her house had only concrete.

Going way off thread now - but when I first moved into my place I found my neighbour in my garden with a hatchet, attacking the lower branches of some scrappy conifers that bordered his back pathway. They didn't encroach on to his path, but he told me that in strong winds the lower branches might swing around and 'knock his spectacles off', and that - bedsides - 'burglars hid in them'.

Needless to say, he got well and truly sent on his way - but the question 'So, when was it you said you are going to cut the trees down?', delivered in a way which suggested that I had at some previous time agreed to cut my trees down, became an ongoing feature of our relationship.

Last edited:
Often, just putting up a sign saying 'cameras are in use' is enough to stop people.
Yes - we put one on our front porch, the car break-ins are on the increase, and robberies of catalytic converters. And we have a large Jeep, which is a high vehicle so they can get underneath into the engine very easily.
Quite a few of the neighbors here have cameras installed.

Many years ago, I had a very strong reaction to a large tree. I was in a small park that just had a small thicket of trees. Maybe 40x40 ft, and you could see from one side to the other. I love walking in woodlands (meaning much bigger areas of trees than this).

I took a short stroll through this area and came to stand under this tree. It was the largest tree, but not overly large to tree standards. I immediately was overcome with a strong sense of foreboding and fear. I couldn't even stay to look at the tree to try to figure out why I had these feelings.

That is the first and only time I have experienced this in a "natural" space.

The euphoria that people feel when in nature is amazing. I also love it on a warm sunny day just lying on my lawn staring at the sky and letting myself become unconnected to the mundane world and experience the sense of awe and the vastness and interconnectedness of nature.

When I looked at the view of the Grand Canyon and beyond while standing at the Desert View Watchtower I was so overwhelmed I had to keep looking away.

I also had the same experience when looking at the Milky Way from a campsite at Shirakami Sanchi in northern Honshu.
I have this type of reaction when I lie out and look and realize the vastness of the galaxy. It is sometimes scary to me, but I try to sit with it.

I have a similar reaction when in open spaces. I don't think I would want to live in Manitoba or Saskatchewan or Alberta because of the open sky.

I feel how small I really am in comparison to this. I feel like I could just fall off.

Many years ago, I had a very strong reaction to a large tree. I was in a small park that just had a small thicket of trees. Maybe 40x40 ft, and you could see from one side to the other. I love walking in woodlands (meaning much bigger areas of trees than this).

I took a short stroll through this area and came to stand under this tree. It was the largest tree, but not overly large to tree standards. I immediately was overcome with a strong sense of foreboding and fear. I couldn't even stay to look at the tree to try to figure out why I had these feelings.

That is the first and only time I have experienced this in a "natural" space.

The euphoria that people feel when in nature is amazing. I also love it on a warm sunny day just lying on my lawn staring at the sky and letting myself become unconnected to the mundane world and experience the sense of awe and the vastness and interconnectedness of nature.
When we first moved to the house where we presently reside, there were two trees in the garden, right next to the house.
One was taller than the other, the smaller tree was of a different type and seemed to be 'ailing'. I put my hand on the trunk to see if anything came to me - apparently there was a tangle of wires in the branches which were 'hurting' this tree, at least that's the feeling I was given.
At some point one of the utility companies straightened out the wiring mess and took it away, and the tree has been thriving ever since.
I think we tend to forget that they are alive and have feelings.

I'm watching something on YT about Tyntesfield, and a man has just described the experience of walking through the woods there as 'epiphanic'. Close enough to 'panic' to count?

More 'phanic' than 'panic'
But he does seem to be describing the same emotion that we were talking about earlier, an intense emotional response to beautiful scenery. The question is - is that related to the 'panic' that is the topic of the forum? Are the two just oppositional expressions of the same thing, or different? Has anyone who experiences one, experienced the other, or do some people feel the traditional 'panic' while others feel a blissful serenity? Can one person feel both?

The nearest I've ever come to 'panic' has been a kind of 'terror of the woods in the dark', which I put down to obscured sight lines and not knowing what might come bursting out at me. I've never had any kind of fear out in the open in daylight.

!!! I had not heard of this before (note to self: I need to get out more) and so I just watched it on you tube. It is really scary, and I thought a perfect depiction of a lonely, rigid college professor. Thanks, gojiramonkey.
Apologies for the stupidly late reply.... But you are very welcome
It is ridiculously scary

This experience has stuck with me for many years, and deeply upset me at the time.

Summer 1997 and my then wife and our three year old daughter were visiting my wife’s brother and his partner at their home in a village in East Sussex. It was a sunny Saturday late in the afternoon; we’d all been to the village pub for a few drinks and had returned to their cottage where my brother in law and his partner started to prepare dinner. My little daughter was a bit restless so my wife took her outside for some fresh air. The cottage faced the village green across the road. At the far end of the green, probably 100 metres or so away was a hedge and beyond that, I think, a stream or brook. I watched my wife and daughter walk across the green in the direction of the hedge through the front room window as I chatted with our hosts. I was still watching them as they reached the far hedge when suddenly I was hit with this terrifying and overwhelming feeling that something dreadful was going to happen. I literally dropped my drink and sprinted out of the door, across the road and the green to where they were. My wife asked if I was ok as I obviously looked so shaken. I didn’t tell them what I’d felt, just that it was time to come back to the cottage now. I felt like my presence had diffused whatever it was that had caused me to feel that way, but I still felt very uneasy and insisted we go back.

I have no idea what caused me to suddenly feel this utter dread, nor any clue of what I thought was going to happen. It left me feeling shaken for a while, and still sometimes troubles me now, how powerful a feeling it was. My wife and I are long divorced, and my daughter is now 29. We have a close relationship but I have never mentioned this incident to her.

That's very interesting! It must have made quite an impression on you that you remember the incident all this time later - it must have been a very unusual powerful feeling as you say. This is pure speculation, but you say you'd had a few drinks. I'm not accusing you of being drunk! I just wonder if even a little bit of alcohol would sort of soften the usual input you'd get from the rational bit of the brain ("don't be silly nycuk, they're just going behind a hedge") and let the more intuitive primitive survival-y parts of your brain get their say across ("get over there nycuk, your wife and child are about to be eaten by a sabre toothed tiger"), which you were more receptive to acting on.

When you think about the scene, do you think it was something about what you were looking at that made you think 'there's something not right, it looks dangerous' (as they were going out of sight?) or did it feel more like a bolt from the blue (that you would have thought it whether you were watching them or not)? Impossible questions I know :)

I mean who knows, if your life were a science-fiction film, your swift action might have prevented some unpleasant disaster and nudged your time-line into a safe outcome, and you got a little premonition that echoed back and helped you! You say it still troubles you sometimes now, what makes you feel that? (is that because you worry what would have happened if you hadn't run over there? or because you don't understand what the feeling was or where it came from? or something else?) And why have you never mentioned it to your daughter?

questions questions, sorry

That's very interesting! It must have made quite an impression on you that you remember the incident all this time later - it must have been a very unusual powerful feeling as you say. This is pure speculation, but you say you'd had a few drinks. I'm not accusing you of being drunk! I just wonder if even a little bit of alcohol would sort of soften the usual input you'd get from the rational bit of the brain ("don't be silly nycuk, they're just going behind a hedge") and let the more intuitive primitive survival-y parts of your brain get their say across ("get over there nycuk, your wife and child are about to be eaten by a sabre toothed tiger"), which you were more receptive to acting on.

When you think about the scene, do you think it was something about what you were looking at that made you think 'there's something not right, it looks dangerous' (as they were going out of sight?) or did it feel more like a bolt from the blue (that you would have thought it whether you were watching them or not)? Impossible questions I know :)

I mean who knows, if your life were a science-fiction film, your swift action might have prevented some unpleasant disaster and nudged your time-line into a safe outcome, and you got a little premonition that echoed back and helped you! You say it still troubles you sometimes now, what makes you feel that? (is that because you worry what would have happened if you hadn't run over there? or because you don't understand what the feeling was or where it came from? or something else?) And why have you never mentioned it to your daughter?

questions questions, sorry

No problem! I would discount alcohol consumption as having any influence on this; alcohol has always had the effect of making me happy and relaxed, as opposed to amplifying any paranoia etc.
I really have no idea why I had this feeling or what was potentially going to happen, it was just that suddenly something felt very wrong.
I was 28 then, and I’d never felt anything like it before or since, and I was unable to rationalise it which is probably why it still bothers me sometimes. I should mention it to my daughter, she has an interest in strange phenomena.

No problem! I would discount alcohol consumption as having any influence on this; alcohol has always had the effect of making me happy and relaxed, as opposed to amplifying any paranoia etc.
I really have no idea why I had this feeling or what was potentially going to happen, it was just that suddenly something felt very wrong.
I was 28 then, and I’d never felt anything like it before or since, and I was unable to rationalise it which is probably why it still bothers me sometimes. I should mention it to my daughter, she has an interest in strange phenomena.
I wonder if it was 'something out of place' that caught at your brain and made you think that there might be danger lurking in or under the hedge? We aren't that far on from primitive ancestors and maybe some of us are just more attuned to 'that shadow just moved, could be a predator' than others? Especially since your child was involved.

This experience has stuck with me for many years, and deeply upset me at the time.

Summer 1997 and my then wife and our three year old daughter were visiting my wife’s brother and his partner at their home in a village in East Sussex. It was a sunny Saturday late in the afternoon; we’d all been to the village pub for a few drinks and had returned to their cottage where my brother in law and his partner started to prepare dinner. My little daughter was a bit restless so my wife took her outside for some fresh air. The cottage faced the village green across the road. At the far end of the green, probably 100 metres or so away was a hedge and beyond that, I think, a stream or brook. I watched my wife and daughter walk across the green in the direction of the hedge through the front room window as I chatted with our hosts. I was still watching them as they reached the far hedge when suddenly I was hit with this terrifying and overwhelming feeling that something dreadful was going to happen. I literally dropped my drink and sprinted out of the door, across the road and the green to where they were. My wife asked if I was ok as I obviously looked so shaken. I didn’t tell them what I’d felt, just that it was time to come back to the cottage now. I felt like my presence had diffused whatever it was that had caused me to feel that way, but I still felt very uneasy and insisted we go back.

I have no idea what caused me to suddenly feel this utter dread, nor any clue of what I thought was going to happen. It left me feeling shaken for a while, and still sometimes troubles me now, how powerful a feeling it was. My wife and I are long divorced, and my daughter is now 29. We have a close relationship but I have never mentioned this incident to her.
I wonder if it could just have been a delusion, with which you may have developed a sudden strong belief in?

A Sunday Morning thought...

I wonder some times about this reality of ours, and the senses that we have to observe it all, and how our total perception is confined to a small aspect of that electromagnetic spectrum thingy.

We've had cursory immersion in the study of Quantum physics in my life time, which, if I understand it, is a very small aspect of the totality of basic physical science - which has brought into recognition the bizareness of physics itself, and how natural laws are defenestrated when it is seen from a micro view.

Is a Panic Episode a sense of another reality intruding on this mundane one, an intersectionality if you like...And the sense overload that we experience, is actually part of our Brains saying to us "Eh up our Kid, fang elt a thisen...May it serve you well"?

Muttered under my breath 'God knows'.

I wonder if it could just have been a delusion, with which you may have developed a sudden strong belief in?
By which do you mean a random brain-fart, which felt like it should have some real meaning because it was such a compelling sensation?

Is a Panic Episode a sense of another reality intruding on this mundane one, an intersectionality if you like...And the sense overload that we experience, is actually part of our Brains saying to us "Eh up our Kid, fang elt a thisen...May it serve you well"?
I'm not Northern enough to know what 'fang elt a thisen' can mean :) but I think you're right if you're implying there's a lot more weirdness out there than we can ever imagine, but it would do us good to open our minds to the idea of it now and again?! I like your idea of other realities intruding and giving us unaccountable experiences.

A Sunday Morning thought...

I wonder some times about this reality of ours, and the senses that we have to observe it all, and how our total perception is confined to a small aspect of that electromagnetic spectrum thingy.

We've had cursory immersion in the study of Quantum physics in my life time, which, if I understand it, is a very small aspect of the totality of basic physical science - which has brought into recognition the bizareness of physics itself, and how natural laws are defenestrated when it is seen from a micro view.

Muttered under my breath 'God knows'.
Just in case there was anyone else (like me) who wondered what the word 'defenestrated' actually means, it's - 'thrown out, presumably with the bathwater!' :)

Or Latin "fenestra". I love language.:)
Origin of 'Thrown out with the Bathwater.' - (1512)
1692553372469.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_throw_the_baby_out_with_the_bathwater
*Changed webpage address over to 'Wikipedia' so that it makes it available to read - same article.

Last edited:
By which do you mean a random brain-fart, which felt like it should have some real meaning because it was such a compelling sensation?

I'm not Northern enough to know what 'fang elt a thisen' can mean :) but I think you're right if you're implying there's a lot more weirdness out there than we can ever imagine, but it would do us good to open our minds to the idea of it now and again?! I like your idea of other realities intruding and giving us unaccountable experiences.
G'day Eponastill. Being fortunate to have been raised in Australia, and the Australian Bush from the age of 9, and having been given a minimal insight into the old Australian Aboriginal perception, The idea of imposing realities is not unusual.

Our Yowie, ( Yarooma, Jimbra, Tjangara), is accepted here on traditional lands as being a guest from what we call The Dreaming (Tjukurpa), and they faultlessly merge into this reality when they want and need to.

We have many characters that can do this here, so it makes a lot of sense for Panic to be understood by me this way. They bring with them a different kind of energy perhaps, which reacts to our own?

'Fang helt a thissen' was what my Potter GranDad would say to me if he wanted me to catch something, and interestingly, the present day German for catch hold is something quite similar 'Fang Halten'...

Does this mean we spoke some old Saxon in the Potteries until quite recently...It looks like it, doesn't it.

Last edited:
Back