• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Haven't Aliens Contacted Us Yet? (Fermi Paradox)

Do you think there is a drip drip scenario going on?

A few years ago when they found some microbes (they may not have been) but the world went crazy could you imagine the reaction is we found intelligent life? Or if intelligent life found us?

I think it would actually lead to the collapse of the materialistic world, just like if reincarnation or the afterlife was 100% proved. people would just give up on the rat race
I think once the initial shock died down, people would just normalise it... yeah there are intelligent aliens 1000 light years away, but how does that affect me in my everyday life?

I think once the initial shock died down, people would just normalise it... yeah there are intelligent aliens 1000 light years away, but how does that affect me in my everyday life?
I agree. I think, for years, people have overestimated the consequences to our society of discovering intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. Obviously, if it turns up here the impact will depend on its intentions. But most likely it'll be distant, and the most important change will be to our estimates of the density of life and civilisations in the cosmos. Everyone who's not involved in that research or obsessed with assigning spiritual value to everything will soon get back to proving that, on Earth anyway, intelligence is rare.

Maybe but does that not depend on the degree of interaction ?

I mean knowing about intelligent life (how would we know 100% if there was no attempt to communicate) and communicating with it are quite different, you would presume if it had the ability to get here it would be much more advanced than human civilization, historically human civilization has not fared well when it meets with a so called more advanced civilization (for more advanced read better weapons)

We seem to be edging closer to definitive evidence of some form of extraterrestrial life:

"Nasa's James Webb Space Telescope may have discovered tentative evidence of a sign of life on a faraway planet.
It may have detected a molecule called dimethyl sulphide (DMS). On Earth, at least, this is only produced by life."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66786611
Also mentioned in this thread,
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ble-life-on-faraway-world.70748/#post-2290947
and this thread
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/astronomical-news.19841/page-51#post-2290837

The dimethyl sulphide is probably a false positive, but it would be nice if it were a real positive. Unfortunately we probably won't be able to tell using the current state of technology.

Maybe but does that not depend on the degree of interaction ?

I mean knowing about intelligent life (how would we know 100% if there was no attempt to communicate) and communicating with it are quite different, you would presume if it had the ability to get here it would be much more advanced than human civilization, historically human civilization has not fared well when it meets with a so called more advanced civilization (for more advanced read better weapons)
I feel this discussion keeps repeating the same way over and again. Aye, if they turn up on our doorstep, the effects on us will be entirely down to them. I doubt we'd be enslaved. Human slaves would be useless compared to sufficiently advanced machines. I doubt we'd be food. If they're sophisticated enough to get here they've probably cracked food production in whatever forms they need it. If they can breathe our air and want Earth for expansion of their own civilization, they'll probably want rid of us. I'd suggest releasing some kind of probe swarm in the atmosphere to seek us out and eradicate us. We'd probably never see it coming and would have no defence. Little point in them modifying the planet to their biology as the most valuable thing Earth has going for it is its biosphere. But if they can't live in our atmosphere or modify themselves to do so, and Earth really does suit their needs in every other way, their job is even easier. Giant atmospheric processors land on Earth to change our atmosphere, and we'd all die, and they can start replacing our biosphere with lifeforms taken from their own.

So, yes, if they turn up here, we would probably stop being so materialistic, and generally so alive.

I feel this discussion keeps repeating the same way over and again. Aye, if they turn up on our doorstep, the effects on us will be entirely down to them. I doubt we'd be enslaved. Human slaves would be useless compared to sufficiently advanced machines. I doubt we'd be food. If they're sophisticated enough to get here they've probably cracked food production in whatever forms they need it. If they can breathe our air and want Earth for expansion of their own civilization, they'll probably want rid of us. I'd suggest releasing some kind of probe swarm in the atmosphere to seek us out and eradicate us. We'd probably never see it coming and would have no defence. Little point in them modifying the planet to their biology as the most valuable thing Earth has going for it is its biosphere. But if they can't live in our atmosphere or modify themselves to do so, and Earth really does suit their needs in every other way, their job is even easier. Giant atmospheric processors land on Earth to change our atmosphere, and we'd all die, and they can start replacing our biosphere with lifeforms taken from their own.

So, yes, if they turn up here, we would probably stop being so materialistic, and generally so alive.
Most Fortean discussions tend to repeat over time

My suspicion is that they have not communicated with us, because they don't know how to, perhaps some of the more bizarre stuff we see is their attempts to communicate

The answer is - if the alien life in question is moss/lichen on a rock, it won't respond to our existence.

Most Fortean discussions tend to repeat over time

My suspicion is that they have not communicated with us, because they don't know how to, perhaps some of the more bizarre stuff we see is their attempts to communicate
Interstellar communication is a real problem. Even if we can communicate, civilisations end in the timescales in which we can respond to a, 'Hi there,' with a, 'Hey, how're you getting on?' If they're already here, of course, then we need to ask what their motives are for hiding from us. I don't buy that an interstellar species has no way to communicate effectively with a species that can't possibly be of any threat to them.

Interstellar communication is a real problem. Even if we can communicate, civilisations end in the timescales in which we can respond to a, 'Hi there,' with a, 'Hey, how're you getting on?' If they're already here, of course, then we need to ask what their motives are for hiding from us. I don't buy that an interstellar species has no way to communicate effectively with a species that can't possibly be of any threat to them.
Have you ever tried talking to ants?

I doubt we'd be food. If they're sophisticated enough to get here they've probably cracked food production in whatever forms they need it. If they can breathe our air and want Earth for expansion of their own civilization, they'll probably want rid of us.
They might be into hunting, like The Predator. Or they might like to eat food that is 'free range'.

They might just have a quiet word with all world leaders and strike a deal for slow reduction in the human race. CO2 reduction/reduced plant growth, weakened population, lower IQs, chems in the water to induce infertility...

They might be into hunting, like The Predator. Or they might like to eat food that is 'free range'.

They might just have a quiet word with all world leaders and strike a deal for slow reduction in the human race. CO2 reduction/reduced plant growth, weakened population, lower IQs, chems in the water to induce infertility...
There would be quite some irony if we were hunted as prized game, with the finest specimens stuffed and mounted over the fireplace in some intergalactic club!

Or they might like to eat food that is 'free range'.
It is not really very likely that they would be able to eat us as food, or that we could eat them. Unless they have very sophisticated culinary technology, which is certainly possible.

They might just have a quiet word with all world leaders and strike a deal for slow reduction in the human race.
Or they could transplant humans throughout the galaxy. Meeting a sufficiently advanced alien civilisation could be the start of a massive population explosion for each contacted species, assuming that the civilisation values cultural diversity above anything else. Of course, even if the advanced civilisation merely introduces us into a vast multispecies post-scarcity utopia, there would still be some people complaining because the human species no longer has the freedom to destroy itself.

Last edited:
It is not really very likely that they would be able to eat us as food, or that we could eat them. Unless they have very sophisticated culinary technology, which is certainly possible.

Or they could transplant humans throughout the galaxy. Meeting a sufficiently advanced alien civilisation could be the start of a massive population explosion for each contacted species, assuming that the civilisation values cultural diversity above anything else. Of course, even if the advanced civilisation merely introduces us into a vast multispecies post-scarcity utopia, there would still be some people complaining because the human species no longer has the freedom to destroy itself.
...Or because we are considered so aggressive and warlike, use our young as soldiers in their wars, in exchange for some tech - maybe a bit a fusion help, improved longevity, nano tech for health, etc- just enough to keep us useful - but without letting us out of the Solar system...?

With any luck they will take our nuclear toys off us, I would trust them more than the looneys that have their fingers on the button at the moment.

Humans would be ideal, as a spices we are very adaptable perhaps Earth is a a research facility

I’ve become more persuaded that Earth and life on it may be unique in the Universe. It isn’t just that we inhabit a goldilocks zone, but nature of the star at the heart of our system. The very particular combination of elements thrown our way and created after the bang. Large outer planets and their gravity shielding us from extinction-level event asteroids. The collision of a planet resulting in our Moon and thus tidal action stirring up the primordial soup is also likely to have a similar effect on tectonic plates creating an ever active environment promoting evolutionary change and progress.
I‘m always struck by the astonishing coincidence that the Moon is EXACTLY the right size and the EXACT right distance away to create solar eclipses so exact we see the last glimpse through the lunar valley producing the diamond in the ring. It really boggles the mind yet so does the concept of exactly the right elements, chemicals, nutrients and conditions being given the chance to develop long enough to create just a single cell organism.

Which brings us to The Big Filter. Top boffin Brian Cox…

I think my favorite's the other one, so I'll do the other great filter. If I was to guess why we see no evidence of other civilizations out there, the so-called 'great silence' is what astronomers call it, is because there aren't any and there never have been any. The reason I guess that, and I emphasize it's a guess, is biology. So if you look at the history of life on Earth, then we see that life began 3.8 billion years ago, let's say. But then we see for the best part of three billion years on this planet that there's nothing more complex than a single cell. And there could be good biological reasons for that: One that springs to mind is the evolution of what's called the 'eukaryotic cell,' which form all multicellular living things on the planet. Those cells, which seem to be prerequisite for complex multicellular life, evolved once on this planet as far as we can tell. Pretty widely accepted. It's called the 'Fateful encounter hypothesis.' And so it seems that there is a very unusual evolutionary event at some point that lead the foundations for us. If it typically is the case that it takes four billion years from cell to civilization, then I think there may be very few planets in a typical galaxy which are stable enough for long enough for that process to proceed.

I think there's one civilization in the Milky Way galaxy, and there only has ever been one, and there might only ever be one-and that's us. Which, by the way, means that we have a tremendous responsibility not to mess this up. That means the Earth is the only island of meaning in a sea of 400 billion suns. And so if we destroy this, we might destroy meaning in a galaxy forever.
https://bigthink.com/series/explain-it-like-im-smart/aliens-fermi-paradox/

While it may be exciting to think we may reach a stage where we communicate with aliens from another solar system, if we embraced the stunning concept we really are alone on the most desirable property in the universe, we may treat the place - and ourselves a lot better.

While it may be exciting to think we may reach a stage where we communicate with aliens from another solar system, if we embraced the stunning concept we really are alone on the most desirable property in the universe, we may treat the place - and ourselves a lot better.

Sadly, I fear it's going to take something pretty damn Earth-shaking to make humanity abandon its bellicose and tribal ways.

I’ve become more persuaded that Earth and life on it may be unique in the Universe. It isn’t just that we inhabit a goldilocks zone, but nature of the star at the heart of our system. The very particular combination of elements thrown our way and created after the bang. Large outer planets and their gravity shielding us from extinction-level event asteroids. The collision of a planet resulting in our Moon and thus tidal action stirring up the primordial soup is also likely to have a similar effect on tectonic plates creating an ever active environment promoting evolutionary change and progress.
I‘m always struck by the astonishing coincidence that the Moon is EXACTLY the right size and the EXACT right distance away to create solar eclipses so exact we see the last glimpse through the lunar valley producing the diamond in the ring. It really boggles the mind yet so does the concept of exactly the right elements, chemicals, nutrients and conditions being given the chance to develop long enough to create just a single cell organism.

Which brings us to The Big Filter. Top boffin Brian Cox…

https://bigthink.com/series/explain-it-like-im-smart/aliens-fermi-paradox/

I would agree that that life intelligent enough to build nuclear weapons and burn fossil fuels to power aeroplanes is probably rare in our own galaxy simply because it all gets too dangerous for the planet and the climate and in a cosmic blink of an eye we will be gone.

Yes, the moon creating ellipses is mind-boggling but then so is the wider universe and I feel we need to be mindful of the human ego and remember where we exist on a cosmic scale; that is, a tiny dot on the outer edge of an average galaxy that will exist for a cosmic blink of an eye. The 'we may be the only ones' argument is, I fear, a politicised one aimed at the climate crisis.

Why? Because the Universe is seeming infinite and very, very old and infinity means there will be many more than one Goldilocks zone planet with a moon that eclipses its star. Therefore, i believe that there are planets out there with primordial life, with dinosaurs, with civilisations living Neanderthal lives and so on. To my mind the tricky bit comes with harnessing nuclear power and the ability to destroy ourselves with the push of a button. Yet such advanced technology is a prerequisite for interstellar travel and thus the odds of being visited by another civilisation more advanced from us are sadly pretty nonexistent.

Somebody else's stray thought on Facebook:

If space is infinite, then a scale model of space would also be infinite. This thought has just occurred to me and blown my mind...
The blindingly obvious thought that arrived as a Eureka moment for me:

I'm wondering if this explains many things. We are living in the equivalent of a model railway layout, where we are mere trackside accessories, while carefully crafted interstellar train models in the sky are things we mistake for UFO's. All this is going on in the attic of a model-interstellar-mass-transit nut on Alpha Centurai, who may even now be considering ripping up and repurposing the Sol System part of the layout as it's frankly getting boring, a branch line leading to nowhere..

Additional thoughts:

Model railway buffs might talk to their layouts, but they don't expect an answer.

Earth-lights and so on are the model railway buff fixing the electrics on the layout...

"missing time" is due to the modeller noting a human figure who might be standing on a station platform, remarking "I think you'd look better on a street corner in this side of the layout", thus the sensation of translocation, and no memory of having got from point A to point C...

Somebody else's stray thought on Facebook:

If space is infinite, then a scale model of space would also be infinite. This thought has just occurred to me and blown my mind...
The blindingly obvious thought that arrived as a Eureka moment for me:

I'm wondering if this explains many things. We are living in the equivalent of a model railway layout, where we are mere trackside accessories, while carefully crafted interstellar train models in the sky are things we mistake for UFO's. All this is going on in the attic of a model-interstellar-mass-transit nut on Alpha Centurai, who may even now be considering ripping up and repurposing the Sol System part of the layout as it's frankly getting boring, a branch line leading to nowhere..

Additional thoughts:

Model railway buffs might talk to their layouts, but they don't expect an answer.

Earth-lights and so on are the model railway buff fixing the electrics on the layout...

"missing time" is due to the modeller noting a human figure who might be standing on a station platform, remarking "I think you'd look better on a street corner in this side of the layout", thus the sensation of translocation, and no memory of having got from point A to point C...
OMG. We're not real? o_O

The moon is actually moving away from the Earth at 3.8cm per year so the coincidence of it looking the same size as the sun won't hold for long. However I think out "double planet" may be unusual for a world the size of the Earth. It seems quite common for smaller bodies (Pluto for instance) The influence of the moon IMO may have given us the conditions we needed for life on Earth; plate tectonics, tides, some shelter from metorite bombardments, etc.

I think we make a lot of the Goldilocks zone because it is more or less right for us. Liquid water exists on the moons of the gas giants and they may provide some of the same conditions that the moon does for us; molten core or tidal heating, etc. Some sort of life on Titan may consider that there are no other Titonian (Tithonian??) Goldilocks zones in the Solar system.

If technological life isn't an evolutionary dead end (We are not the pinnacle of evolution, whatever we may think) then I'd guess we are too primitive to be able to pick up whatever communications other life forms are using.

If lightspeed cannot be circumvented then either robotic beings could be travelling the universe or being who spend so much of their time travelling at near lightspeed that journeys of a few years to them are thousands of years to us or their planetside relatives. There could be travelling cultures and planetside cultures and the two only connect every so many centuries.

If there is anything to the ancient aliens theory then perhaps they gave a few trinkets to the Babylonians and have gone off on a trip of, to them thirty or so years but to us of three thousand years. (Lifespans could be very different as well)

Apologies for expanding on my own post here but could a potential alien civilisation actually comprise two (or more) cultures? Those travelling at near lightspeed and those that are planet bound, either the homeworld or subsequent colonies?

The travellers would spend years or decades travelling and maybe radioing back information, but time on the homeworlds would be at a different rate so if they did return it may be to an advanced technology or maybe even to the ruins of their world. Most of the traveller's subjective time may be spent in acceleration or deceleration and maybe probes sent from these ships at the start of deceleration may tell them if it is worth slowing more or just re accelerating.

Given this scenario would they bother to make contact with us? They may come across other travellers from other civilisations or evidence that they have visited somewhere or even other homeworlds; but given the vastness of space need they take the risk of contact? Focussed communication may take place but could we pick that up?

As for Earth, why take the risk? The probe shows an aggressive bunch with capability to send projectiles into their solar system and fit them with things that go bang. The traveller's ship could probably fry the lot of them but, who knows, a lucky missile could cause a lot of damage. Why bother? Re accelerate and keep going. Send a message out to the homeworlds with all the data you have from your own probes and the transmissions from Earth and leave it for another few centuries.

In other words we are not dealing with an advanced homeworld but a self sufficient expedition pretty well cut off from its homeworld so fairly risk averse. Our presence makes exploring the system not worth the risk. Water, fuel, minerals could be picked up or mined far out in theKuiper belt or Oort cloud without troubling us.

Crashed UFO's? Drone style probes that tell us nothing other than that aliens with an advanced technology exist. Oumuamua? Saw us and decided to move on! :)

Apologies for expanding on my own post here but could a potential alien civilisation actually comprise two (or more) cultures? Those travelling at near lightspeed and those that are planet bound, either the homeworld or subsequent colonies?

The travellers would spend years or decades travelling and maybe radioing back information, but time on the homeworlds would be at a different rate so if they did return it may be to an advanced technology or maybe even to the ruins of their world. Most of the traveller's subjective time may be spent in acceleration or deceleration and maybe probes sent from these ships at the start of deceleration may tell them if it is worth slowing more or just re accelerating.

Given this scenario would they bother to make contact with us? They may come across other travellers from other civilisations or evidence that they have visited somewhere or even other homeworlds; but given the vastness of space need they take the risk of contact? Focussed communication may take place but could we pick that up?

As for Earth, why take the risk? The probe shows an aggressive bunch with capability to send projectiles into their solar system and fit them with things that go bang. The traveller's ship could probably fry the lot of them but, who knows, a lucky missile could cause a lot of damage. Why bother? Re accelerate and keep going. Send a message out to the homeworlds with all the data you have from your own probes and the transmissions from Earth and leave it for another few centuries.

In other words we are not dealing with an advanced homeworld but a self sufficient expedition pretty well cut off from its homeworld so fairly risk averse. Our presence makes exploring the system not worth the risk. Water, fuel, minerals could be picked up or mined far out in theKuiper belt or Oort cloud without troubling us.

Crashed UFO's? Drone style probes that tell us nothing other than that aliens with an advanced technology exist. Oumuamua? Saw us and decided to move on! :)
Think you are probably correct.

Another possibility is that by chance there are two other advanced civilisations in our galactic backyard but they find themselves relatively close to each other and we are a lot further away. Consequently they put all their efforts into detecting, contacting and visiting each other and ignore us.

We shouldn't ignore our nearest neighbours though:

"And they are also among the prime targets in the hunt for habitable exoplanets. Using the HARPS instrument astronomers already discovered a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B. 24 August 2016 astronomers announced the discovery of an Earth-like planet in the habitable zone orbiting the star Proxima Centauri."

https://esahubble.org/images/potw1635a/

Too far away to visit but perhaps evidence of an exoplanet with a biosphere may not be far off. In fact, work has started to photograph the surface of an exoplanet using the sun's gravitational lens:

"Traveling 60 billion miles within a human lifetime isn’t possible using conventional propulsion technology like rocket motors. Instead, Turyshev wants to use fleets of small spacecraft outfitted with solar sails, each not much larger than a microwave. The spacecraft would start their journey by passing within about 6 million miles of the sun. The solar gravity assist, plus the boost from sunlight pushing on the solar sails like wind acting on a sailboat, would whip the spacecraft up to 300,000 miles per hour. This is similar to the speeds achieved during a recent solar pass by the Parker Solar Probe, the fastest spacecraft ever built.

At these speeds, it would take the spacecraft about 25 years to reach the beginning of the sun’s focal region in interstellar space. Each spacecraft in the fleet would be carrying a component of the telescope, and along the way they would assemble the telescope. Once the telescope arrives at its destination, it will have to rely on AI systems to do its work; waiting nearly four days for commands from Earth simply won’t cut it. The telescope will also need some beefy onboard processing to perform the signal analysis needed to make sense of the data."

https://www.wired.com/story/nasa-wants-to-photograph-the-surface-of-an-exoplanet/

Last edited:
Back