• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Many years ago, my mum got a friend of hers to knit me a very long (like Tom Baker long) scarf, all in the one colour (burgundy, like Tom wore in his final series, but not variegated). I still have it but have never worn it anywhere. I would feel a bit silly.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I wore mine to walk the dog one day (it was snowing) and I had someone stop their car! to ask me where I'd got it!

I knitted myself one years ago - using up odds and sods of wool that I had hanging around. No idea what happened to it though, and lack the time and patience to knit another one.
I don't know if it's true, but I love the story of how the original scarf was created.

Apparently, someone took a load of wool to the knitter and said, "Can you make us a scarf out of this?", meaning, "Make a scarf using your own selection of wool", but she misunderstood it as "Make a scarf using ALL this wool" :chuckle:

Pandacracker points in no particular order:

I like that Dr Who is inclusive, although the explanation of binary/non binary was a bit sledgehammery.

The UNIT agent's weaponised wheelchair was great. If that means that a child fan of the programme who uses a wheelchair can now join in the playground re-enactments as a 'goodie' with really useful powers... fantastic!
Wait until they start firing rockets off their wheelchairs. All it would take would be one tik tok.

The BBC isn't the bastion of education and long words that it once was, and Doctor Who has to tread a careful middle ground between those who've grown up on the programme for the last sixty years, have encyclopaedic memories and who are - carefully - perhaps just a touch reactionary and defensive these days, and the kids who deal with issues that crop up in the programme these days in their daily and school life.
But Doctor Who doesn’t have to tread a fine line. It certainly isn’t at the moment. If the show was supported by advertising it would have been cancelled after series 1 of Jodie Whittaker’s effort. The fact is that the BBC hasn’t a captive audience for Who but it does have captive financiers and backers in the form of the licence paying general public and added Disney. While the scripts endlessly hammer us over the head with some current agenda, I miss the escapism and clever storytelling which has been replaced by some very contemporary fashionable concepts that are pretty far away from a Time Lord who is feared throughout the Universe, a destroyer, a saviour - a hope for those here, in the future as well as the past. And she lectured him on pronouns. That’s how bad it is now.
But don’t take my word for it…

1701375240687.png

That’s from BBC‘s own Culture site.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article...0th-anniversary-special-is-a-whimsical-affair

And before I get another warning about introducing gender to this subject, I didn’t start it.

Last edited:
I wrote an episode guide for Torchwood years ago when I worked for SFX magazine, and my memory of Torchwood is its massive variability - from 1 star episodes to 5 stars and all points in between. It could be very, very good indeed, and it could be woeful. And I've no problems with that - you have to be brave occasionally and sometimes it will fail. And that's fine.

And while I haven't watched it in a while (I bought the DVDs before the episodes were put on iPlayer, but haven't watched them yet), I think the Sarah Jane Adventures is one of the most unheralded areas of the whole Whoniverse. Helped by the fantastic Elisabeth Sladen of course, but a lot of the storytelling and acting was head and shoulders above what you might expect from what was nominally children's TV.

(I watched the new Who episode tonight and enjoyed it a lot - I think Catherine Tate's Donna is a great creation and interpretation, and while Ecclestone's my favourite of the new Doctors, Tennant is always very good value. If only I could be so skinny...)
Sarah Jane Adventures were fantastic, love David Tennent but even with him the show had flaws as DT first 2 seasons were brilliant but the last 2 episodes series 4 The Stolen Earth and Journey's End were poor with Billie Piper being brought back doing the same crying as she did in the excellent Doomsday plus I could not really understand her as I'm sure she had done something with her lips/mouth ? but all was made up with the End of Time.

After that I give up.

Great!

We've got a Doctor and baddie.

Who wants to be Jamie and who wants to be Victoria?

Meet at mine in half an hour but my mum says I have to have my tea at five so be quick.

I'm very like a combo of these two Doctors [curly, sandy, female, larger, stern, glasses] - I volunteer to be the locum Doctor! :)

SixSternFilmTMOTR.jpg
MV5BNTdhMTU5Y2EtZGVkMy00Y2MxLTk3MWMtYmVjZmFhNjAwNjQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0MzQwMjgz._V1_QL75_UY28...jpg

I'm very like a combo of these two Doctors [curly, sandy, female, larger, stern, glasses] - I volunteer to be the locum Doctor! :)
Oh, go on then. If you insist, I will be Kamelion. That means I can stand still looking superior in the corner of the playground while everyone else does the running around.

But I dont believe in the LNM

And I still dont know what this Water of Life stuff is.

Back