• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'll give these a go because we've got an Iceland in town and those vegan pies you recommended were really nice .. but be honest .. they're not strictly speaking 'burgers' are they? .. in the same way that carrot shaped drumsticks are not chicken and 'not dogs' are not hot dogs etc etc .. they're plant based patties but that takes longer to write on a cardboard box and doesn't sound as exciting for marketing reasons. I will still give them a go though.

I'll give these a go because we've got an Iceland in town and those vegan pies you recommended were really nice .. but be honest .. they're not strictly speaking 'burgers' are they? .. in the same way that carrot shaped drumsticks are not chicken and 'not dogs' are not hot dogs etc etc .. they're plant based patties but that takes longer to write on a cardboard box and doesn't sound as exciting for marketing reasons. I will still give them a go though.
I would pay for them with little bits of plastic and other tat I call ‘Founds and Koinz’. I mean it’s just like real money, you won’t notice the difference. Honest.

They're reduced at the moment too.
Oven is good, but if you defrost them a bit, they also do quite nicely in the pan on a low heat.

The general accepted opinion is that plant based is better for the environment
I don't think I've ever said that though.

I also buy the fish from there occasionally, which usually comes from Thailand/Vietnam etc.

In a FB discussion with t'missus, one vegan insisted that vegan processed foods were healthier than any meat-containing foods 'because of all the harmful chemicals in meat' etc. etc. You know the score ...
When the vegan we know showed them the additives list of the product they'd eaten, the line went "oh, well, that's different - those additives are produced naturally"!
Everyone else agreed that it all depends on one's own motives for going vegan. Turning away from any ultra-processed foods are a good thing for health, regardless of diet.

I was looking at the ingredients & calorie-score of a supposedly 'healthy' breakfast cereal the other day: it contained the equivalent of ten teaspoons of sugar in one serving(!) Worse still, it's most marketed at children.

I was looking at the ingredients & calorie-score of a supposedly 'healthy' breakfast cereal the other day: it contained the equivalent of ten teaspoons of sugar in one serving(!) Worse still, it's most marketed at children.
I've always found breakfast cereals to be inedible (and often smothered in sugar as you say).
I suspect that Alpen probably isn't too bad for you though. Anything that tastes that bad can't be.

Spent years not letting my kids have overly sugary cereals and my bete noir I'd always go on about was Coco Pops. One of the kids got an infection and ended up in hospital. First thing dr said, to my kid, that next morning, doing his ward rounds and trying out some bedside manner, was "I hope you're having Coco Pops for breakfast!"

Kid never let me live it down.

I've always found breakfast cereals to be inedible (and often smothered in sugar as you say).
I suspect that Alpen probably isn't too bad for you though. Anything that tastes that bad can't be.
I just buy oats and drop in cranberries and nuts and some greek yog. Job done. It's my only "healthy" meal of the day, probably.

At school, I loved Alpen and would have it frequently.
As I grew up and my tastes changed, I 'discovered' how revoltingly sweet it was. I've nowt against muesli as such, but I prefer Eggs Benedict or poached eggs on toast now.
I used to like a good salad, but the quality of produce now means I don't very often.

Salads can be quite ... boring. At school, we had the usual components - lettuce, cucumber, tomato, grated cheese, red onions etc. We also had the unusual - raw white onions and cold baked beans.
Now, even my wife - a hesitant consumer of salad - enjoys my creations. The usual ingredients but a few olives, pickled gherkin slices, chopped red peppers, sliced jalapeno, or home-made pickled beetroot.
As far as I'm concerned, if you make it colourful, you make it interesting.

Salads can be quite ... boring. At school, we had the usual components - lettuce, cucumber, tomato, grated cheese, red onions etc. We also had the unusual - raw white onions and cold baked beans.
Now, even my wife - a hesitant consumer of salad - enjoys my creations. The usual ingredients but a few olives, pickled gherkin slices, chopped red peppers, sliced jalapeno, or home-made pickled beetroot.
Boring?! How very dare you!

No, I love a 'basic' salad for breakfast, although admittedly it is better with a few other accompaniments.

All you need to go with that would be some boiled eggs, sprouts and cabbage.

In most restaurants present salads as ...
Plenty of lettuce (cheap), a few slices of cucumber, a couple of tomato slices. Add a bit of grated cheese (so-called 'cheese salad'), a couple of slices of pre-cooked chicken ('chicken salad') or three rolled-up slices of processed ham ('ham slices'). Salad cream, mayonnaise, vinegar? The sachets on the table. Salad dressing? Costs extra.

One 'odd ingredient' our place had was grated (raw) carrot. I loved it, as well as the beans. ;) I love boiled eggs, sprouts and cabbage, though the former and the latter can be made into egg salad and coleslaw.

I dont like those salads.

My family believe they are the ONLY salad.

For brekfast I have berries and cream, or beans and sausages.

I used to eat either toast or cereal, (Aldi do a nice low sugar version of cocopops) but...no more stodge.

(Actually I had a red berry crunch today; first in about 3 months).

Vegans- be careful if you've bought stuff from Lidl's 'veganuary' (I know) range.
Some of it has been reported as being only vegetarian.

My son is a chef and for a large dinner group recently one of the party listed their dietary requirement as, only vegetables that don't grow under the ground, as they felt that harvesting of said veg damages the micro-organisms in the earth. They were happy to eat meat though.

My son is a chef and for a large dinner group recently one of the party listed their dietary requirement as, only vegetables that don't grow under the ground, as they felt that harvesting of said veg damages the micro-organisms in the earth. They were happy to eat meat though.
At one time root vegetables were considered food for the poor.
The potato was held in high suspicion for many years too.

I saw, or rather smelt a rotten bag of potatos in the shop the other day.
My God it was terrible. Like rotten fish.

Maybe they are suggesting that the ones in the ground are doing more good?
They were happy to eat meat though, from animals treading on micro-organisms... Just attention seeking I reckon. so they can bore everyone to death when someone asks why they don't have carrots/potatoes on their plate!

I recall someone at our club's Christmas dinner tucking in to a full turkey roast.
"But Pete - you're a vegetarian!"
"I am ... I don't eat sentient beings."
Cue several hours of hilarity discussing which living creatures are sentient or not.

Even if sincere, that sounds more pretentious and ignorant.
That's not a 'dietary requirement', that's a personal preference.
It's a requirement at the point of service though, if it's what the customer wants.

Back