• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Another victim of the Big Meat conspiracy?
Apparently it's her rivals that are to blame for her firm for going into administration.
https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/heather-mills-blames-gaslighting-meat-171953828.html
Go into a supermarket when they're mostly sold out of food and you'll find plenty of vegan and vegetarian food still on the shelves.
It doesn't sell well at all.
The live poll at the bottom of that page shows around 80% of people do not buy vegan.

Nothing to do with flogging ultra-processed junk in the guise of healthy food...?

Vegetarian food can be so incredibly healthy and it is a shame to taint that image with emulsified oils and powders masquerading as meat

Here’s the ingredients of Vbites chkn nuggets….

Water, Breadcrumb Coating [Wheat Flour (Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine), Water, Salt (2% max), Yeast] Wheat Gluten, Soya Protein, WheatFibre, Rapeseed Oil, Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Fat (sustainable palm), Yeast Extract, Natural Flavouring, Dried Yeast, Salt, Onion Powder, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate, Thickener (Methyl Cellulose), Herb & Spice Extracts, Sugar

Here’s the ingredients of Vbites chkn nuggets….

Water, Breadcrumb Coating [Wheat Flour (Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine), Water, Salt (2% max), Yeast] Wheat Gluten, Soya Protein, WheatFibre, Rapeseed Oil, Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Fat (sustainable palm), Yeast Extract, Natural Flavouring, Dried Yeast, Salt, Onion Powder, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate, Thickener (Methyl Cellulose), Herb & Spice Extracts, Sugar
Yummy Soya Protein:

"Soy protein products are mainly used as ingredients in formulated foods and seldom are seen by the public. They consist of four broad categories. (1) Most soy proteins are derived from "white flakes," made by dehulling, flaking and defatting soybeans by hexane extraction. These may then be milled into defatted flours or grits containing approximately 50-54% protein; extracted with ethanol or acidic waters to remove flavor compounds and flatulence sugars, producing soy protein concentrates containing 65-70% protein; or processed into soy protein isolates containing 90+% protein by alkali extraction of the protein, removal of fiber by centrifugation and reprecipitation and drying of the protein. "

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7884536/#:~:text=(1) Most soy proteins are,defatting soybeans by hexane extraction.

On their own and in their natural state some of those Ingredients are healthy but not when processed. Ingredients of chicken:

100% chicken, low in saturated fats and high in healthy Omega 6 fatty acids also naturally rich in variety of important nutrients, including protein, niacin, selenium, and phosphorus.

For nuggets add breadcrumbs and egg.

Don't want the chicken to die? Make some healthy white bean nuggets.

Last edited:
Ill have to find you some out...

I have vegetarian recipes of about 50 years ago. No strange processed things at all.

I have absolutely no doubt that old vegetarian recipes are delicious. As kids we were brought up mostly on veg, often grown in our own gardens.
I remember the Coop greengrocer coming down the street with a horse and cart. (The local gardeners creeping out 15 minutes later with a shovel and bucket for their roses) The shed on the back sold only the limited seasonal fruit and veg.
I wonder how many today could maintain invention and interest if local seasonal produce was the only selection available. There’s a reason why sprouts are linked to the winter months.

Yummy Soya Protein:

"Soy protein products are mainly used as ingredients in formulated foods and seldom are seen by the public. They consist of four broad categories. (1) Most soy proteins are derived from "white flakes," made by dehulling, flaking and defatting soybeans by hexane extraction. These may then be milled into defatted flours or grits containing approximately 50-54% protein; extracted with ethanol or acidic waters to remove flavor compounds and flatulence sugars, producing soy protein concentrates containing 65-70% protein; or processed into soy protein isolates containing 90+% protein by alkali extraction of the protein, removal of fiber by centrifugation and reprecipitation and drying of the protein. "

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7884536/#:~:text=(1) Most soy proteins are,defatting soybeans by hexane extraction.

On their own and in their natural state some of those Ingredients are healthy but not when processed. Ingredients of chicken:

100% chicken, low in saturated fats and high in healthy Omega 6 fatty acids also naturally rich in variety of important nutrients, including protein, niacin, selenium, and phosphorus.

For nuggets add breadcrumbs and egg.

Don't want the chicken to die? Make some healthy white bean nuggets.

I make a couple of things with soya beans!

Some Asian shops have the brown, black, yellow and white types. The newer types of pressure cookers take out all the hours of boiling.

They make awesome home-made baked beans without all the sugar in the sauce.

One can fry them from raw to make bhatmas- a Nepalese crunchy snack.

bhatmassadeko5.jpg

I can't quite get the obsession with trying to convert them to something akin to 'meat'.

Even Soya 'bits' (TVP) and Tofu is much less processed than the crap you describe. Cubed tofu, coated in cornflor, salt, chilli powder & sesame seeds then fried = gurt lush!

A lot of Sicilian/Italian and Indian dishes are vegetarian, but when you've got really good quality ingredients as I suspect they have, it makes it far more likely that you'll enjoy it I would think.

Rotten, tasteless veg from the local Sainsbury's just doesn't cut it though.

That's the thing with many international meals. At their origin, the fresh, good quality produce makes the delicious dish cost-effective. To make an equivalent, you need to source good ingredients which might cost more in the UK.
I tend to pay more for good ingredients then cook for myself.

Just purchased an item that I have to cook for 55 minutes at 200c and which informs me on the packaging that after doing this Product will be hot.

It also warns me that due to the fugi/mold used, it may cause an allegic reaction.

Just purchased an item that I have to cook for 55 minutes at 200c and which informs me on the packaging that after doing this Product will be hot.

It also warns me that due to the fugi/mold used, it may cause an allegic reaction.
Disclaimer: Eating this product may cause death.

It's strange you mention this, because starting a year or so ago, I now find the shower water to be too hot and too cold at the same time.
I have no idea how that works.
Floyd- do you have an eco setting on your shower or shower head? I have the same unpleasant sensation when I use the flashy settings on power shower and Im told by a "man who knows stuff" its because the eco settings aerate the water.

I have no idea why this makes a difference to sensation either, but I humbly bowed his superior wisdom and stick to the standard setting when hosing down.

Floyd- do you have an eco setting on your shower or shower head? I have the same unpleasant sensation when I use the flashy settings on power shower and Im told by a "man who knows stuff" its because the eco settings aerate the water.

I have no idea why this makes a difference to sensation either, but I humbly bowed his superior wisdom and stick to the standard setting when hosing down.
That's interesting, but no it's just a cheapo hose and head.
It does have three settings, but all that does is change the volume I think.
Thanks for mentioning it though, I'll check it out.

When you look at all the well-travelled ingredients that go into it you realise this is the produce of many fields, resources and processes like soya and coconut oil, pea protein, bamboo fibre (really?) etc.
Ingredients for a beef burger - Field, Cow.
Yes. Compare the carbon footprint.

The general accepted opinion is that plant based is better for the environment which may be true but I’m just looking at all those ingredients and thinking Hmmmmmm.

The business of manipulation...by the manipulation of business. (just my opinion).

The general accepted opinion is that plant based is better for the environment which may be true but I’m just looking at all those ingredients and thinking Hmmmmmm.
It's the same for all processed meat. In fact, all processed foods.

Back