• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Any frequenters of Lidl here, I urge you to give these Mushroom & Tarragon pies a try.
Surprisingly good I thought. £2.49 (Vegetarian only).
Funnily enough I tried their Steak & Old Peculier pies from the same range the other day - not bad either. Will give the mushroom & tarragon ones a go.

One of my new guilty pleasures during the working week evenings is Channel 4's 'Teen First Dates':

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/teen-first-dates

I fins it heart-warming and both intentionally and unintentionally funny. But what has somewhat astonished me is that here we have the Internet 2.0 Greta Thurnberg generation who are exposed to veganism on social media and vegan celebrities and yet so many of them order steak, chicken and fish for their meals. There is hardly a vegetarian amongst them never mind vegans. So we know there is a lot of virtue signalling around veganism and people claiming to be 'meat reducing' and 'flexitarian' but all the same i was surprised and it has made me question even further some of the clearly inflated number bandied around for how many vegans there are

Funnily enough I tried their Steak & Old Peculier pies from the same range the other day - not bad either. Will give the mushroom & tarragon ones a go.
Obviously I can't have those ones, but I did try the ones they do with stilton in them a few months ago ( I am not keen on pies that have stilton in although I am partial to Stilton in it's stand-alone state), but you may like to try them if you haven't already.

Obviously I can't have those ones, but I did try the ones they do with stilton in them a few months ago ( I am not keen on pies that have stilton in although I am partial to Stilton in it's stand-alone state), but you may like to try them if you haven't already.
I’ve tried the steak & stilton ones & they’re not bad although I couldn’t detect much stilton in it. I didn’t realise you’re a veggie.

I’ve tried the steak & stilton ones & they’re not bad although I couldn’t detect much stilton in it. I didn’t realise you’re a veggie.
Well pescatarian, which for some reason I keep thinking that you are too. I do recall you telling me you weren't not so long ago, but I keep forgetting this.

I think we have discussed fish/rollmops a few time and that's perhaps why.

That and the fact my memory is shot. Must be all the mercury in the damn fish.......................

Well pescatarian, which for some reason I keep thinking that you are too. I do recall you telling me you weren't not so long ago, but I keep forgetting this.

I think we have discussed fish/rollmops a few time and that's perhaps why.

That and the fact my memory is shot. Must be all the mercury in the damn fish.......................
Ah yes - who could forget the pickled herring discussion!

I tried a mushroom & tarragon pie today - again pretty good although I didn’t detect much tarragon. A minor quibble though & considering £2.49 for two, a bit of a snip. Cooked it in the air fryer.

We've got a Lidl in my town and I love both mushroom and tarragon. I'm going to take you up on that suggestion (as long as I'm not tempted to buy a portable generator or a wetsuit or something like that from there first).

Nothing gets a girl going more than a neoprene-clad man holding forth PIES... with a frisky look behind his goggles and a diesel generator chuntering away providing the mood lighting..... *phew* it's warm in here! :itslove:

You never know what you’re gonna find in Lidl. I think I saw something like this worn by Homer in an episode of the Simpsons but they’re actually real.

1699824372424.png

£20? I'm in! Then again, I've got my eye on a toy 'Grabber' for £20 in our local Tesco!
If you do, make sure to weaken the claws to recreate that authentic rip off arcade experience and also wrap a couple of fivers with rubber bands round a couple of the prizes and get your Mrs to wear a huge bunch of keys off her hip so you can kick off when you don't win so she'll unlock the cabinet for you.

Last edited:
I tried a mushroom & tarragon pie today - again pretty good although I didn’t detect much tarragon. A minor quibble though & considering £2.49 for two, a bit of a snip. Cooked it in the air fryer.
I see what you mean.
I tried them again last night.

I think, being a non-meat eater, I got a bit carried away with my praise the first time as it was a nice change from the usual vegetarian ones.

I'll still get them on occasion though.

Anyone got any ideas for vegan shower gel?

I've tried the Bulldog and Original source range, but certainly in the case of the latter, I don't particularly want to smell of lemon/mint/coconut/rasberry etc.

I've tried the Bulldog and Original source range, but certainly in the case of the latter, I don't particularly want to smell of lemon/mint/coconut/rasberry etc.
I thought all shower gels were technically vegan, being made of detergent.

What meat derivatives might a shower gel contain? I’m genuinely confused.

Also, what scent would you want? Sprout? Potato?

maximus otter

I thought all shower gels were technically vegan, being made of detergent.
What meat derivatives might a shower gel contain? I’m genuinely confused.

Also, what scent would you want? Sprout? Potato?

maximus otter
Glycerin, Lanolin, Stearic acid, tallow, squalene to name a few, but it's also whether they've been tested on animals as well (which I should have made clear).

Same with deodorants/toothpaste/laundry detergent/soap..................

As for scent, I'd go for little spice shop in Cairo, if they made it.

People can't smell it on you. It gets rinsed off.

Any frequenters of Lidl here, I urge you to give these Mushroom & Tarragon pies a try.
Surprisingly good I thought. £2.49 (Vegetarian only).
I gave these a go on your recommendation Floyd and I concur that they are tasty. I'm not vegan or veggie so I didn't have an alternative gravy so I used chicken granule gravy. Boiled broccoli as well. 8 out of 10.

Want to be eco-friendly?
Don't use shower gel. Use soap (sourced to personal ethics) and a flannel/scrubber*.

* No - not someone referred to as a scrubber.
Bars of soap use animal fats, usually.
But I think you're probably right. Most of the shower gel gets washed away without doing anything.

Back