• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
They were happy to eat meat though, from animals treading on micro-organisms... Just attention seeking I reckon. so they can bore everyone to death when someone asks why they don't have carrots/potatoes on their plate!
Good point.

They were happy to eat meat though, from animals treading on micro-organisms... Just attention seeking I reckon. so they can bore everyone to death when someone asks why they don't have carrots/potatoes on their plate!
h :bs: is the best thing you can put on soil, insects and microorganisms thrive on it

My son is a chef and for a large dinner group recently one of the party listed their dietary requirement as, only vegetables that don't grow under the ground, as they felt that harvesting of said veg damages the micro-organisms in the earth. They were happy to eat meat though.
There is a school of thought in Agriculture called Regenerative Agriculture.

It doesn't believe in tilling the soil, believes in set grazing (overstocking small panels of pasture with electric fences), and believes that weeds will tell you what is lacking in your soil, rather than weeds being seasonal through the year, or your soil having a seedbank of weed seeds.

It believes that iron will severely impede, if not kill, the micro organisms, and that mycelium is what determines the fertility of your soil...and, of course, it looks down on any one that uses implements to turn the soil.

Oscar Wilde...

“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. And unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them."​

My son is a chef and for a large dinner group recently one of the party listed their dietary requirement as, only vegetables that don't grow under the ground, as they felt that harvesting of said veg damages the micro-organisms in the earth. They were happy to eat meat though.
The Mrs once had a customer inform her at her old work place that he simply had to eat only the veg he'd grown himself, that he was bringing that in and then it had to be boiled in bottled water. Then he had the cheek to ask for money off his bill (and got it) because he'd supplied the veg and water. I must remember that the next time I go to the swimming baths: "I've bought some bottled water, I'm going to pour into the pool so I'll want a discount on my entrance fee!". Or when I'm at the cinema: "I'll be wearing an eye patch, will be viewing the film will only one eye so I'll be paying half of the ticket price!."

Sadly it's against the law to punch people like this in the face. He'd organised an event for about 80 people so was clearly playing the 'look at me! look at me!' card at the Mrs's expense to try and impress his co diners/workers. I hope the chefs didn't all accidently sneeze on his meal.

Last edited:
I've dealt with a few pretentious diners but as Escargot has said, it's part of our job (unless they're physically or verbally abusive or wasted on something then we can refuse them). I used to have a customer who'd complain his peas weren't green enough so we bought green food colouring, we obviously didn't tell him this, then added that whenever he came in .. = happy customer.

One of the only times I can remember having to refuse a customer request was the woman who came in, informed us she was allergic to only the seeds in tomato slices and could we remove each seed by hand (with a que of people behind her) .. "Sorry but no because we can't promise we'll get every seed out" ... she was OK with that .. then it was I'm extremely allergic to garlic, "can you etc etc etc ..................." .. "No. I'm sorry. We can't make a 100% promise to you." .. she was OK with that then at the end of her order, she forgot she was bullshitting us then asked for garlic mayo. "Absolutely! .. no problem but just to warn you, as you've told us you're allergic to garlic, the garlic mayo contains garlic." ... "Oh, don't worry .. a little bit won't hurt." :yawn:

:rollingw:

Good grief. I applaud your patience, and temperament.
We have to. We hate it but we have to mate. I haven't got either the patience or the temperament any more even when I try to fake it mate. I was removed (diplomatically) from the dancefloor last season. Or as it's supposed to called, front of house. Or as most people here will know it as, 'the restaurant'. I didn't piss anyone off and wasn't ever told off so I'm still not sure why I was put on the back bench aka back in the kitchen. I'm glad I was. It's probably because I hate it so I didn't smile enough and I'm not an 18 year old female. Full respect to those young women still having to not punch customers on a daily basis. I'll never wear a name badge again.

There is a school of thought in Agriculture called Regenerative Agriculture.
There's a bloke in the local pub who uses 'no dig' methods in his allotment. Comes up with results, and shows some confirmation of the benefits. If only he didn't get 'triggered' to preach about it to all and sundry - especially but not restricted to tourists, visitors, delivery guys etc.

Re: customer service in restaurants. It's highly desirable and laudable. It is 'part of the job'. However, there's a line between what is possible and what is not. Not being able to comply is not bad customer service. A majority of customers can ask but a few demand. You might have requirements but being able to meet those requirements isn't bad customer service. Going into a busy restaurant and demanding egg-free mayonnaise (I assume such a thing exists) might be met with a polite denial. Sure, a skilled chef might know how to make it but the restaurant isn't obliged to make it. Ask for a single grape and it can be taken from a bunch. If they have a single grape, you can't 'require' a whole bunch.

Go to a restaurant which has no menus and it vows to make whatever your little heart desires.

If you had a pig...the pig would dig and fertilise the land for you.

(Ace things, pigs...)

I have a pretty faddy diet these days but when I am out, I eat normal.

Nobodys going to remove the carbs for me...or bake me ground almond cakes.

egg-free mayonnaise
Yup, there is indeed such a product. I keep a bottle of Hellmann's Vegan Mayo in the fridge at work because I know nobody else will touch it. :chuckle:
Dunno if it's used in restaurants but I bet it is. Easy to make.

There's a bloke in the local pub who uses 'no dig' methods in his allotment. Comes up with results, and shows some confirmation of the benefits. If only he didn't get 'triggered' to preach about it to all and sundry - especially but not restricted to tourists, visitors, delivery guys etc.

Re: customer service in restaurants. It's highly desirable and laudable. It is 'part of the job'. However, there's a line between what is possible and what is not. Not being able to comply is not bad customer service. A majority of customers can ask but a few demand. You might have requirements but being able to meet those requirements isn't bad customer service. Going into a busy restaurant and demanding egg-free mayonnaise (I assume such a thing exists) might be met with a polite denial. Sure, a skilled chef might know how to make it but the restaurant isn't obliged to make it. Ask for a single grape and it can be taken from a bunch. If they have a single grape, you can't 'require' a whole bunch.

Go to a restaurant which has no menus and it vows to make whatever your little heart desires.
I reckon it's another fad to sell books, implements, lectures and other 'musthaves' like terra preta. To say that soil disturbance kills any beneficial microphages is going overboard when you can see that all soil is in constant motion.

Personally, I broadfork without turning the clod, and then mulch with about 3" of mulch - usually sugar cane mulch or lucerne that I've laid down in the hen house under the roosts, and then plant in that - No weeds and tonnes of worms...Lovely!

Yup, there is indeed such a product. I keep a bottle of Hellmann's Vegan Mayo in the fridge at work because I know nobody else will touch it. :chuckle:
Dunno if it's used in restaurants but I bet it is. Easy to make.
I used mayo as a hypothetical example. Replace with some item that isn't quick or easy to make. A busy restaurant gives a menu to show what they can deliver - not examples of their skill.
Go to a vegetarian restaurant and demand a nice t-bone beef steak. What reaction would you get?
Go to a busy restaurant - a mass producer, sort of, but on a small scale. Demand an individual item, not on the menu. They might have the ingredients, they might have the skill ... but your demand is unreasonable. "Hang on - clear that work surface, clear that oven! Stop making all other meals - Mrs Bloggs has come in for the first time and demanded a gold-foil wrapped Himalayan Yak burger! Quick - nip out and find me that butcher we know on the offchance he has yak meat in stock!"
Ultimately, a restaurant is not obliged to meet the demands of a customer. It might or might not.

The customer is not always right - they are always a customer, though, and should be treated with respect and courtesy ... but not as a dictator whose whims are a directive from a Divine Being. Don't like it? Walk away. When told "I'm taking my business elsewhere!" that is the customers absolute right. They can. But the rise of useful/useless review websites (which can be easily manipulated) has also given rise to the notion that the customer is allowed to blackmail a business. It's an expression of entitlement not deserved.

I used mayo as a hypothetical example. Replace with some item that isn't quick or easy to make. A busy restaurant gives a menu to show what they can deliver - not examples of their skill.
Go to a vegetarian restaurant and demand a nice t-bone beef steak. What reaction would you get?
Go to a busy restaurant - a mass producer, sort of, but on a small scale. Demand an individual item, not on the menu. They might have the ingredients, they might have the skill ... but your demand is unreasonable. "Hang on - clear that work surface, clear that oven! Stop making all other meals - Mrs Bloggs has come in for the first time and demanded a gold-foil wrapped Himalayan Yak burger! Quick - nip out and find me that butcher we know on the offchance he has yak meat in stock!"
Ultimately, a restaurant is not obliged to meet the demands of a customer. It might or might not.

The customer is not always right - they are always a customer, though, and should be treated with respect and courtesy ... but not as a dictator whose whims are a directive from a Divine Being. Don't like it? Walk away. When told "I'm taking my business elsewhere!" that is the customers absolute right. They can. But the rise of useful/useless review websites (which can be easily manipulated) has also given rise to the notion that the customer is allowed to blackmail a business. It's an expression of entitlement not deserved.
Well, that escalated quickly.

Sorry. :comphit:
Having worked in the retail sector, I get really steamed up by the few really nasty customers who think they own the staff and can demand anything.
It's nothing to to with 'requirements' but 'demands'.
If you require a meal free of a particular allergen and the staff cannot provide it guaranteed then it cannot be done ... no matter how much the customer 'requires' it.

Having worked in the retail sector, I get really steamed up by the few really nasty customers who think they own the staff and can demand anything.
If you require a meal free of a particular allergen and the staff cannot provide it guaranteed then it cannot be done ... no matter how much the customer 'requires' it.
Haha, touched a nerve there! :chuckle:

So many more people now seem to have a sense of entitlement and that sense of entitlement means they don't hear what is being said to them and it also means they can't accept it.

My wife worked with a woman who we were on friendly terms with outside of their working environment. Occasionally, we would meet up for lunch with her and her partner.
She not only had the outlook the the customer was always right, but that the cafe' or restaurant that she was eating at ought to provide her with whatever she felt like eating as she was a paying to eat there, therefore they should cater to her.
Now, this woman was extremely intelligent, the head of her department, yet couldn't grasp the concept that restaurants have menus and that a sushi restaurant can't provide you with spaghetti carbonara or a chicken vindaloo if that's your desire on the day.
The mind boggles.
Needless to say, we no longer eat out with them any more.

My wife worked with a woman who we were on friendly terms with outside of their working environment. Occasionally, we would meet up for lunch with her and her partner.
She not only had the outlook the the customer was always right, but that the cafe' or restaurant that she was eating at ought to provide her with whatever she felt like eating as she was a paying to eat there, therefore they should cater to her.
Now, this woman was extremely intelligent, the head of her department, yet couldn't grasp the concept that restaurants have menus and that a sushi restaurant can't provide you with spaghetti carbonara or a chicken vindaloo if that's your desire on the day.
The mind boggles.
Needless to say, we no longer eat out with them any more.
That's not being a pushy customer, that's just :loopy:

I agree with all of that. My sarcasm knows no bounds with these people who decide to walk in and re write a menu. The Mrs had a couple tonight who presumably decided to re write her business opening times just to suit themselves. We all know there's exceptions when it isn't people's fault but we also know there's also p**s takers so after she'd tried to phone them at twenty to five for the last attempt of many but they were far too important to answer the phone to a pleb (she finished at five tonight. the entire place is otherwise closed to the public), she decided f**k 'em and came home. Otherwise they'd have rolled in with glib fake apologies them asked if she could also now make them a coffee .. but not yet because blah blah blah ... important business call .. and my son absolutely needs this special attention etc etc etc ..

We couldn't give a shit where they're going to stay tonight instead. In their car hopefully.

One of the biggest p**s takers I think I've ever encountered was when some bloke from California got drunk at my bar, met my Mrs, asked me if I'd mind if he could take her to a local nightclub then actually had the nerve give me 'daggers' when I said "No. You can't take my Mrs to a nightclub." ... I've heard of good customer service and going that extra mile and that but he was basically saying "I'm a customer. Can I **** your Mrs?." ... WTF?! ... and he was being completely serious?!. He wasn't joking. He actually thought in some parallel dimension that that was a reasonable request?.

Yeah, no problem mate. Would you also like the keys to our house and our car and our bank pin numbers while you're at it? ....

I clean the windows of quite a few restaurant and cafes as I'm a window cleaner. I don't charge money but instead do the work for free food. It means I never have to cook or buy food. They're happy and I'm happy. It's almost like a bartering way of life but I never take the piss. I often do extras like clean the shop signage etc, degrease the pavement outside, and so on.

I have found that by being like that and building up a relationship with those who work in these places that when I call by to collect payment, in food of course, I always am reasonable and nearly all times I get extra thrown in. Tonight at one Indian takeaway I simply asked for Bombay Potatoes and the owner said is that it? I said yes. I got Bombay Potatoes, Onion Bajees, Cauliflower Pakoras and 2 chapatis. What a meal and I have left overs for tomorrow. Tomorrow though I'll be collecting two falafel wraps from another shop which means food for Sunday and Monday as well. then on Tuesday I'll be collecting payment from a burger place, which has won national awards, for a veggie burger and I know they'll add in extra's but I always ask for the basic burger and genuinely, I don't expect the extra as that was not part of the original agreement.

I've other places to collect food from for the rest of the week, and it's the same every week. Sometimes I have too much food and give it to my neighbour or the seagulls.

Burger Bros. If you're ever in Brighton, UK, the food is all 100% organic and amazing whether beef or veggie.

https://www.burgerbrothersbrighton.co.uk

My point is though, treat staff properly, be polite and friendly, and you'll get much more than if you have a sense of entitlement.

Last edited:
Don't use the word "Sorry" Stormkhan. You're 100% correct. I call 'them' a mixture of terms, none of those being 'Karen'. It's:

Naomi, Michael or Madonna after celebrities who get to get a department store or restaurant closed to the rest of the public just for them. Legends in their own mind who wish they had that clout try but almost always fail.

I was forced to make one exception about 15 years ago. I was managing a restaurant that was 'trending'. Our slowest night business wise was a Wednesday night. A group of four very wealthy men decided we would be the ideal place to turn up to at our closing time every Wednesday night but they spent a lot of money, the owner of the place was happy so we had to take them in. Come 2am, after they got drunk, swore, got sarcastic, you name it they'd tell me to order them a taxi. Then insult the taxi driver by making him wait by ordering more drinks for fun. Bullington Club attitude level stuff. These bloke were vile. They were called The Phoenix Corporation and had pop stars on their books amongst other stuff. Absolute wankers though. They ended up getting barred from most places in my town because everyone had had enough of them in the end.

I used to fiddle their final PDQ payment and tip off the drivers so they'd start the clock running as soon as the car arrived :)

Funnily enough, one of their daughters lives round the corner from me and is an amazingly kind woman. I think she must have been adopted.

Last edited:
I clean the windows of quite a few restaurant and cafes as I'm a window cleaner. I don't charge money but instead do the work for free food. It means I never have to cook or buy food. They're happy and I'm happy. It's almost like a bartering way of life but I never take the piss. I often do extras like clean the shop signage etc, degrease the pavement outside, and so on.

I have found that by being like that and building up a relationship with those who work in these places that when I call by to collect payment, in food of course, I always am reasonable and nearly all times I get extra thrown in. Tonight at one Indian takeaway I simply asked for Bombay Potatoes and the owner said is that it? I said yes. I got Bombay Potatoes, Onion Bajees, Cauliflower Pakoras and 2 chapatis. What a meal and I have left overs for tomorrow. Tomorrow though I'll be collecting two falafel wraps from another shop which means food for Sunday and Monday as well. then on Tuesday I'll be collecting payment from a burger place, which has won national awards, for a veggie burger and I know they'll add in extra's but I always ask for the basic burger and genuinely, I don't expect the extra as that was not part of the original agreement.

Burger Bros. If you're ever in Brighton, UK, the food is all 100% organic and amazing whether beef or veggie.

https://www.burgerbrothersbrighton.co.uk

My point is though, treat staff properly, be polite and friendly, and you'll get much more than if you have a sense of entitlement.
When I went through my recent turbulent times, the window cleaner at my last work place made the effort to get to know me and he'd always ask how I was getting on, listen, offer advice, laugh etc to the point where he almost became a father figure to me. Our paths never crossed work wise. He was just a really cool person. One day, through no fault of his, he didn't get his free sandwich from our chef but he'd been genuinely worried about me so I gave him mine which I'd already wrapped in foil to take home. "Are you sure?" .. "That's alright man. I've got another one at home." (I didn't but he was being a legend and looking after me mentally) ..

I forgot all about that then a week or so later the business owner came back from holiday and Sean announced "This kind young man gave me his sandwich when I was held up one day!" .... Sean travels around town doing different places so he needed a sandwich. (sausage bacon and egg in nice bread).

Don't use the word "Sorry" Stormkhan. You're 100% correct. I call 'them' a mixture of terms, none of those being 'Karen'. It's:

Naomi, Michael or Madonna after celebrities who get to get a department store or restaurant closed to the rest of the public just for them. Legends in their own mind who wish they had that clout try but almost always fail.

I was forced to make one exception about 15 years ago. I was managing a restaurant that was 'trending'. Out slowest night business wise was a Wednesday night. A group of four very wealthy men decided we would be the ideal place to turn up to at our closing time every Wednesday night but they spent a lot of money, the owner of the place was happy so we had to take them in. Come 2am, after they got drunk, swore, got sarcastic, you name it they'd tell me to order them a taxi. Then insult the taxi driver by making him wait by ordering more drinks for fun. Bullington Club attitude level stuff. These bloke were vile. They were called The Phoenix Corporation and had pop stars on their books amongst other stuff. Absolute wankers though. They ended up getting barred from most places in my town because everyone had had enough of them in the end.

I used to fiddle their final PDQ payment and tip off the drivers so they'd start the clock running as soon as the car arrived :)

Funnily enough, one of their daughters lives round the corner from me and is an amazingly kind woman. I think she must have been adopted.
I'm self employed. I tell people like that exactly what I think and then walk away. A few months back I cleaned the windows of a very rich persons house for the first time and she moaned like anything that this and that window didn't look clean and all that crap. It was all to get the agreed price lower. I've being doing this job long enough to know I do a good job, always and every time and if a customer actually points out a smear, etc, I'll happily re do that window. This woman was something different. It was all bullshit.

When she reluctantly paid me, I held up the £80 in front of her and set light to it with a lighter and said to her words to the effect of 'f*ck you, I don't need your custom or money", which I don't.

Years ago, I would have tolerated these people, now I don't.

When I went through my recent turbulent times, the window cleaner at my last work place made the effort to get to know me and he'd always ask how I was getting on, listen, offer advice, laugh etc to the point where he almost became a father figure to me. Our paths never crossed work wise. He was just a really cool person. One day, through no fault of his, he didn't get his free sandwich from our chef but he'd been genuinely worried about me so I gave him mine which I'd already wrapped in foil to take home. "Are you sure?" .. "That's alright man. I've got another one at home." (I didn't but he was being a legend and looking after me mentally) ..

I forgot all about that then a week or so later the business owner came back from holiday and Sean announced "This kind young man gave me his sandwich when I was held up one day!" .... Sean travels around town doing different places so he needed a sandwich. (sausage bacon and egg in nice bread).
Window cleaners tend to get to be concerned about the people they get to know and their lives. I'm a window cleaner and I know, I do. I phone an elderly customer every week to make sure she is ok. I've done shopping for her sometimes.

I don't like to go on about it, window cleaners are a different breed of person entirely. We get to know about all all levels of society and it takes a particular type of person to do such a job. You get the work by being 'out there' and not afraid of touting for work. If you like comfort zones, then this is not the job for you. I like stretching the boundaries. Most window cleaners are not the normal person, me excepted. I am a normal person. As a window cleaner I am expected to be all things to all people. Over the years I get to know about peoples lives, from the husband doesn't love me to listen to my ailments and my tablets I now take and I like fetish and BDSN or what ever it 's called. I've heard it all. I get to hear and know things the nearest and dearest don't know. Why? I haven't clue? I've seen babies born and grow up and go off to universities. Some customers are more like friends and we've grown older together.

As a window cleaner, I have seen the insides of many homes. Some of what I have seen can't be repeated here. Both straight and gay. Most are just normal and I hardly even look. It's a unique job and it takes a unique type of person to do it. It's always an adventure into the unknown and never the same from week to week.

There's no mental stress at all. It's all physical but with out any mental stress, as when the job is done, that's it, the job is done, the body recovers over night. I think I have seen so lucky that somehow I ended up being a window cleaner. Have any ever met a miserable window cleaner? I think not. That's why, no stress and the ever changing world of such a simple job, window cleaning.

Off topic, sorry.

Last edited:
window cleaners tend to get to be concerned about the people they get to know and their lives. I'm a window cleaner and I know, I do. I phone an elderly customer every week to make sure she is ok. I've done shopping for her sometimes.

I don't like to go on about it, window cleaners are a different breed of person entirely. We get to know about all all levels of society and it takes a particular type of person to do such a job. You get the work by being 'out there' and not afraid of touting for work. If you like comfort zones, then this is not the job for you. I like stretching the boundaries. Most window cleaners are not the normal person, me excepted. I am a normal person. As a window cleaner I am expected to be all things to all people. Over the years I get to know about peoples lives, from the husband doesn't love me to listen to my ailments and my tablets I now take and I like fetish and BDSN or what ever it 's called. I've heard it all. I've seen babies born and grow up and go off to universities. Some customers are more like friends and we've grown older together.

As a window cleaner, I have seen the insides of many homes. Some of what I have seen can't be repeated here. Both straight and gay. It's a unique job and it takes a unique type of person to do it. It's always an adventure into the unknown and never the same from week to week.

There's no mental stress at all. It's all physical but with out any mental stress, as when the job is done, that's it, the job is done, the body recovers over night. I think I have seen so lucky that somehow I ended up being a window cleaner. Have any ever met a miserable window cleaner? I think not. That's why, no stress.

Off topic, sorry.
You should start a thread on this. I personally wouldn't do the obvious and call it 'Confessions of a Window Cleaner' .. maybe George Formby's When I'm Cleaning Windows? .. Windowageddon? .. the topic sounds interesting to me anyway.

Back