• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rude & Suggestive Place Names

I recently was surprised (not offended) by an advert for toilet paper claiming they "uncrap the world". :D I'm wondering how long before the pearl-clutchers gather their forces ...
errr ... these have been advertised on face book for a year or two now. I think they first appeared around about the time of the shortages of said item during the pandemic.

inyo-butte-funny-street-signs.jpg

maximus otter
From Reddit:

So on cracked.com today, there was an article called 17 Images You Wouldn't Believe Aren't Photoshopped. Number 1 was a picture of the intersection of Inyo and Butte in Bakersfield, CA. I happen to live in Bakersfield, so naturally I took a quick trip to the intersection to see what was there. Not 200 yards away was a lumberyard called Diamond Hardwoods. I could not make this up if I tried. So remember, there is Hardwood Inyo Butte.

Found it!
https://www.google.nl/maps/@35.3707...pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

My earliest experience was to walk to, and discover a local "Ha Ha Lane" near the Woolwich barracks. Sure it aint rude but it made me look into why it was called that.
Give it eight years and I'd desire to walk GropeCunt Lane in Southwark, where the Bishop of Southwark owned so much land that it's prostitutes were known as The Bishop's Geese.

Not sure where the name originated, but ha-ha's used to be, as Herr C. says, manor boundary walls. The were ditches with one side near vertical (the 'house' side). Sheep could get in and out but not cross onto the houses lawn. This was when the 'home farm' would let the livestock range free.

Digressing only slightly - Wetwang is a very odd place. I regularly drive through on my way to visit my friend in Beverley and it feels almost like a separate state. Often very different weather conditions prevail there than in Malton or Beverley and it feels as though it's in the middle of absolutely nowhere, despite only being 20 miles from Hull.

Digressing only slightly - Wetwang is a very odd place. I regularly drive through on my way to visit my friend in Beverley and it feels almost like a separate state. Often very different weather conditions prevail there than in Malton or Beverley and it feels as though it's in the middle of absolutely nowhere, despite only being 20 miles from Hull.
Sounds like the climatic barrier you experience when going north. See a sign for Doncaster and you put your wipers on as it saves waiting.

Last edited:
Well you are coastal. I'm not sure what Wetwang's excuse is.
It's apparently a term that means 'wet field'. A bit like the wet meadow of Runnymede, but an older term derived from Nordic languages.
Or it could be a place where men travelled to, in order to right their wrongs and wet their wangs.

It's apparently a term that means 'wet field'. A bit like the wet meadow of Runnymede, but an older term derived from Nordic languages.
Or it could be a place where men travelled to, in order to right their wrongs and wet their wangs.
I thought it was to do with something like wet meadow, but Wetwang runs along the top of a very visible ridge of land (there was a noteable chariot burial found there when they built some new houses), so it ought to be free draining.

I thought it was to do with something like wet meadow, but Wetwang runs along the top of a very visible ridge of land (there was a noteable chariot burial found there when they built some new houses), so it ought to be free draining.
One of my favourite place names. i have high hopes the chariot burial will denote a cultural watershed and will inaugurate discussion of a ‘wetwang culture’ as per ‘la Tene’.

There's nothing funny about Cornwall or Dorset, okay?

View attachment 74285

(Is this vaguely accurate?)
As a Mebyon Kernow born and bred, I knew that the -Wall bit, just as in Wales and Walnut, derives from the old English word for foreigner.
Corn does indeed derive from the Proto-Indo-European Ker, meaning horn. In terms of geography though, it likely simply describes something sticking out so, I would suggest a better description would be "Foreigners of the headland (or Promontory)".
Being a Cornish ex-pat, having now lived most of my life in Hampshire, the latter derived from Home Shire, does have a nice cosy Lord of the Rings feel about it.

I'm not sure what the map is about. Kent has nothing to do with Bright Ones.
The name Kent is believed to be of Celtic origin. The meaning has been explained as 'coastal district,' 'corner-land' or 'land on the edge' (compare Welsh cant 'bordering of a circle, tyre, edge;' Breton cant 'circle;' Dutch kant 'side, edge').

I'm not sure what the map is about. Kent has nothing to do with Bright Ones.

There are two other possible etymologies.

The map (of which you are right to be suspicious) goes with:

Old Welsh 'cant' (white, bright).

Back