• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
We used to have a bar in Whitley Bay called Dune's by the beach and over road was a bar called Rio's but not sure if it was owned by Andy Taylor from Duran Duran.

Finally saw Dune. So bored. Won't be bothering with Part 2. I feel like a lost soul in the wilderness (probably being chased by a sandworm after admitting this).

Dune 2 will release October 20, 2023.

Warner Brothers and Legendary had to wait to make enough money to make 2.

The director is trying to get support to make Dune 3.

I was surprised to learn that Dune 1 was not a complete film story like the original Dune.

Does this mean Villeneuve is stuck making Dune sequels for the rest of his career? He's not my favourite, but what a waste.

279278496_661352151800004_6982541456303244493_n.jpg

Does this mean Villeneuve is stuck making Dune sequels for the rest of his career? He's not my favourite, but what a waste.
There are rumours he's also interested in making Rendezvous with Rama, so there's that.

Christopher Walken to be the Emperor of the Known Universe in Dune Pt 2

Christopher Walken Joins ‘Dune Part Two’ as Emperor Shaddam IV​

The House Corrino has its ruler.
Christopher Walken will join Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya in director Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune Part Two,” as Shaddam IV, the Padishah Emperor of the Known Universe.
Walken’s casting fills out the major characters for the second half of Villeneuve’s adaptation of Frank Herbert’s seminal science-fiction novel. He joins Florence Pugh (“Black Widow”) as the Emperor’s daughter, Princess Irulan; and Austin Butler (star of the upcoming “Elvis”) as Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, the presumptive heir to the Harkonnen dynasty.
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/christopher-walken-dune-part-2-emperor-shaddam-iv-1235265416/

I saw Dune the other day. It looks amazing - epic is an often overused word but actually fits in this case. I read the book years ago & remember little of the details to be honest so can’t comment on whether it’s faithful to the story/language used or not.

I found echoes of other films - The Baron/Kurz in Apocalypse Now, Paul/Neo as ’the one’ in Matrix, Star Wars Stormtroopers, even Tremors for the worms.

Some of the machines are clunky/unlikely & pacing is slow in places but it let the story breathe, & some of the dialogue is quiet & hard to hear clearly. Acting/performances were good enough & sets/locations spectacular. Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer fits the film well. A well above average sci-fi - I liked it more than I thought I might.

I saw Dune the other day. It looks amazing - epic is an often overused word but actually fits in this case. I read the book years ago & remember little of the details to be honest so can’t comment on whether it’s faithful to the story/language used or not.

I found echoes of other films - The Baron/Kurz in Apocalypse Now, Paul/Neo as ’the one’ in Matrix, Star Wars Stormtroopers, even Tremors for the worms.

Some of the machines are clunky/unlikely & pacing is slow in places but it let the story breathe, & some of the dialogue is quiet & hard to hear clearly. Acting/performances were good enough & sets/locations spectacular. Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer fits the film well. A well above average sci-fi - I liked it more than I thought I might.
I read that it was the end of The Police when Sting starred in that movie.

Well, I didn't rate him in Brimstone and Treacle though he gets a lot of praise in his other roles.
Perhaps it was his grand entrance wearing nothing but a winged codpiece.
That costume did him no favours, right enough. It's in the same category of 'no' as Connery's outfit in Zardoz.

I admit, without shame, that Connery's character didn't have a beard - but I'd absolutely dress as him at a cosplay convention.
How simplistic can you get?

I'm reading Patrick Stewarts memoirs Making It So. Dune was his first big movie break. He'd liked David Lynch's work and was delighted when he was suddenly called to Mexico to become Gurney Halleck, after (unnamed actor) dropped out just before filming. He did a long flight from Germany to Mexico, and met Lynch for the first time. Lynch couldn't look him in the eye, didn't speak to him directly, physically moved him to differences in position etc. The rest of the cast and crew were really warm and welcoming to him. Stewart couldn't understand what he'd done to piss off Lynch; the director had asked for him particularly.
Turns out that Lynch had seen Stewart in an RSC production wearing a long, grey and lank wig with a grizzled beard ... and wanted 'his' Halleck to look like that! He said nothing at all, even before shooting, to change Stewarts look. At the end of shoot party, Lynch spoke to Stewart briefly, but only as social chit-chat. Seems to me Lynch might've spoken up at the start but behaved like a spoiled child who'd been given what he'd demanded but was disappointed in it.

Not sure that The Guardian can decide if the whole Dune ethos was fascist or anti-fascist! (rather like Starship Troopers).

I'll watch part 2 when it comes onto Sky, but I was never a fan of the books, which I really struggled to complete in my student days (mind you, I did have other distractions), and found part 1 of the movie to be full of gorgeous eye-candy, but less than thrilling overall.

I will though download the Dune 2 DLC for Microsoft Flight Sim and play through the missions with my own ornithopter.

I'll watch part 2 when it comes onto Sky, but I was never a fan of the books, which I really struggled to complete in my student days (mind you, I did have other distractions), and found part 1 of the movie to be full of gorgeous eye-candy, but less than thrilling overall.

I read the first trilogy and didn't struggle with them but felt no great desire to read more of the books.

*!$%%&&&***!

It's a great film as was Starship Troopers.
I agree and I'm a great fan of Paul Verhoeven - Flesh and Blood, Robocop and Starship Troopers were absolute masterpieces!
Verhoeven did though pile on the satire pretty thick with Troopers that resulted in me rooting for the bugs by the end!
The novel, which I read back in my student days, just like Dune, was rather more straightforward gung-ho fare and, IIRC, lacked the caustic cynicism of the movie.

I think the Guardian's possible luke-warm reception of it comes from ambiguity.
The don't want to be seen promoting a 'fascist' movie (whatever that is) yet don't think the viewing public understand subtle things like satire or clever criticism (such as in Troopers). I don't read news papers, so have any reviews dipped their toes into the world of Dune being - on the surface - a story about a nomadic desert people rising up against alien occupiers who want to exploit the natural resources? I'd think this is more obvious than any 'fascist' interpretation.

Please note: this is not to open up debate about current affairs - this core implication (?) was in the original novel that the films are based on. You could use exactly the same premis on *boke* Battlefield Earth.

Back