• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

The plot thickens: Mr Low was at first believed to have died of natural causes.

Family told man was shot dead a week after body find
The family of a man shot dead in rural Perthshire learned how he died more than a week after his body was found.

Brian Low's body was discovered in the Pitilie area near Aberfeldy at about 08:30 on Saturday 17 February.

Police said the death was initially treated as non-suspicious until a medical examination found injuries consistent with a shooting.

A post-mortem examination then took place six days after his death, prompting a murder investigation.

The family of the 65-year-old retired groundsman only learned of the development on the afternoon of Saturday 24 February.

Seeing as we have talked a bit about the fatal shooting on the set of film Rust, it has now been reported that the armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
Possible imprisonment up to 18 months and a 5000 dollar fine.
I believe the trial against Alec Baldwin will be in july.

Seeing as we have talked a bit about the fatal shooting on the set of film Rust, it has now been reported that the armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
Possible imprisonment up to 18 months and a 5000 dollar fine.
I believe the trial against Alec Baldwin will be in july.
I had an idea that would happen. I am surprised at such a low fine, however.
Baldwin's production company will have to bear the brunt of any compensation, I think.

I had an idea that would happen. I am surprised at such a low fine, however.
Baldwin's production company will have to bear the brunt of any compensation, I think.
Responsibility for this incident goes round and round, like that story about the man jumping out of a window who is shot on way down by someone threatening a partner with a gun they didn't know was loaded, and so on.
Even so, the buck stops with Baldwin.

What a strange accident. This young man is said to have suffered massive bleeding after cutting the carotid artery in his neck when he slipped and fell at his own engagement party.

British cop dies after neck was sliced open when he fell over at his engagement party

Liam Trimmer, 29, left the UK for Australia as a teenager before appearing on the BBC One police show, filmed just a year later.

On the show he gave a Scottish teenager, aspiring to join the police, advice on life in Australia before they migrated, MailOnline reported.

Now the constable has died after suffering a fatal neck injury at a party his fiancée organised to announce their engagement to friends and family on Sunday, March 10.

Man in Thailand goes on rampage in temple, dies after being impaled by Buddha statue​

https://www.asiaone.com/asia/man-thailand-goes-rampage-temple-gets-impaled-buddha-statue
‐---------------------------------
A man in Thailand who went on a violent rampage at a temple in the Chonburi province died after being impaled by a Buddha statue.
According to investigations, he had tried to climb and deface the largest statue in the hall but slipped and fell, landing on the sharp end of another statue below, South China Morning Post reported on Wednesday (March 13).

The statue's head had pierced his heart and lungs.

Man in Thailand goes on rampage in temple, dies after being impaled by Buddha statue​

https://www.asiaone.com/asia/man-thailand-goes-rampage-temple-gets-impaled-buddha-statue
A man in Thailand who went on a violent rampage at a temple in the Chonburi province died after being impaled by a Buddha statue.
According to investigations, he had tried to climb and deface the largest statue in the hall but slipped and fell, landing on the sharp end of another statue below, South China Morning Post reported on Wednesday (March 13).

Instant Karma.

lf only everyone who tried to deface historical artefacts suffered the same immediate fate…

maximus otter

Freak winds kill three people by pulling them from apartments in China​

By Chris Lau, Sophie Jeong and Hassan Tayir, CNN
Published 10:19 PM EDT, Fri April 5, 2024

Three people died after typhoon-like winds pulled them out through their apartment windows in southern China, as extreme weather battered the region over the past week.

A total of seven people had died in Jiangxi province since the exceptionally strong winds began on Sunday, state broadcaster CCTV reported on Thursday. More than 5,400 houses were damaged and 313,000 people affected, of whom about 1,600 had to be evacuated to safety, it added.

The Chinese meteorological authority issued an orange alert - the highest on its three-tier warning system – on Tuesday, the first since 2013, according to the state-run Global Times.

Four deaths and at least 10 injuries were reported in the provincial capital Nanchang, the hardest-hit city, when severe thunderstorms and heavy rains hit on Sunday, according to CCTV.

Among them were a woman in her 60s and her 11-year-old grandson, yanked from their apartment windows by strong wind together with their mattresses, according to CCTV citing media reports.

A 60-year-old woman from the same building was also swept out of the window by extreme wind. All three were confirmed dead, the state broadcaster reported.

One weather station picked up a wind speed exceeding the highest level of 12, equivalent to a Category I hurricane, according to state media, while 29 others detected level 10 and 11 winds.

Air conditioners were blown out of high-rises in the city, while more than 2,000 trees were toppled, state media said.

Extraneous Detail on Extreme Weather Etc:
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/05/asia/three-killed-high-winds-china-intl-hnk/index.html

I'm no physicist, but one wonders whether some kind of freak pressure-difference built up and was suddenly and suddenly and violently resolved when the window was opened.
Fizzysist. . . me neither! However, I imagine that one side of the building would be experiencing a pressure vortex from the wind itself, and on the other a turbulent spin which might cause the extra (vortex) suction on the exiting side. . . something like this?
1712483923484.png

Last edited:
That is horrific.:eek: That building must have been very poorly made.

Nothing to do with the quality of building construction; everything to do with physics.

Think of your mum's perfume atomiser, the "old-fashioned" style with the rubber squeeze bulb:

"All atomizers work on the principle of air flow and suction. When horizontal air passes over a vertical tube, it causes the air and liquid inside the vertical tube to be pulled upward. Classic atomizers use a squeeze bulb to store a lot of air that moves quickly over the feeder tube when squeezed."

https://sciencing.com/perfume-atomizer-work-4568884.html

In this case quickly-moving wind moved past small windows, and the victims were the perfume that was "pulled upoutwards"...

maximus otter

Nothing to do with the quality of building construction; everything to do with physics.

Think of your mum's perfume atomiser, the "old-fashioned" style with the rubber squeeze bulb:

"All atomizers work on the principle of air flow and suction. When horizontal air passes over a vertical tube, it causes the air and liquid inside the vertical tube to be pulled upward. Classic atomizers use a squeeze bulb to store a lot of air that moves quickly over the feeder tube when squeezed."

https://sciencing.com/perfume-atomizer-work-4568884.html

In this case quickly-moving wind moved past small windows, and the victims were the perfume that was "pulled upoutwards"...

maximus otter
Just like tiles/slates come off a roof with a suction motion by high winds.

This what I was wondering. Or that the window was ripped out. As it would be odd for not one but two people in the same building to think it was a good idea to open their windows during a typhoon.
If you have ever watched new windows being put in it is scarily easy to remove the old ones, so if some windows had been put in poorly to start with then ripped out could be likely.

If you have ever watched new windows being put in it is scarily easy to remove the old ones, so if some windows had been put in poorly to start with then ripped out could be likely.
I live 15 floors up in a tower block and all my windows are on one side of the building and open inwards. Often if a strong gust of wind hits the back or side of the building all the windows in my flat (and all my neighbours) will slam shut due to the sudden reduction in air pressure.

I live 15 floors up in a tower block and all my windows are on one side of the building and open inwards. Often if a strong gust of wind hits the back or side of the building all the windows in my flat (and all my neighbours) will slam shut due to the sudden reduction in air pressure.
I bet you get some cracking views from those windows.

Back