• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I had previously heard that the Patterson 1967 footage was a human in a gorilla suit.

But in this case, if the DNA results are reliable, it looks like somebody shot a human in an opposum suit...

Guayamar said:
I had previously heard that the Patterson 1967 footage was a human in a gorilla suit.

But in this case, if the DNA results are reliable, it looks like somebody shot a human in an opposum suit...

The Patterson footage was covered in a previous issue about five years ago...

47Forteans said:
The Patterson footage was covered in a previous issue about five years ago...
...and at length, right here, on this very board.
Guayamar said:
I had previously heard that the Patterson 1967 footage was a human in a gorilla suit...
We'd all heard it was a human in a gorilla suit. On the other hand, we'd all heard it wasn't. Patty is a much, much more complex topic all round.

Looks like Cryptomundo has been hacked.....

What did you see there? Nothing out of the ordinary just now. Has been a bit hard to get onto in the last week. Think that was just too much traffic.

47Forteans said:
I have a Unicorn in my freezer, if anyone is interested!

Actually, I think that would be kinda neat. Sort of like that dragon embryo in a jar that turned up a couple of years ago. Nobody's going to take it too seriously, so they won't get bent out of shape 'cuz it's a hoax. I wonder if Charlie White takes comissions...[/url]

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G NEWS

47 Forteans unicorn in freezer appears only to be a mafia warning with a Cornetto stuck to its forehead. Trust me I've seen the photos. Honest.

DougalLongfoot said:

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G NEWS

47 Forteans unicorn in freezer appears only to be a mafia warning with a Cornetto stuck to its forehead. Trust me I've seen the photos. Honest.

eeewwwwww :cross eye

celticrose said:
Looks like Cryptomundo has been hacked.....
They seem to have sorted that out. I tried the site short while ago, and got online with no problem. But it was nearly impossible last week!

Others will have a better idea of what happened, but maybe it really was just an overloaded server, not sabotage. :shock:

It seems over at Cryptomundo that Loren Coleman is now removing all comments critical of his handling of the Georgia Bigfoot case, and his support for it. None of the posts I read were personal attacks or abusive. Now people might say it is his blog and he can do what he wants, but it is sad to see him re-writing history and attempting to cover up the way he fell for this hoax. He has also re-written (not just added to) some of his earlier blogs to make it seem as if he was much more sceptical when the photos were published.

When I tried to get onto Cryptomundo a few minutes before making the hacked observation, te only thing that came up for www.cryptomundo.com was what looked like a word docuement full of wingdings.

DougalLongfoot said:
It seems over at Cryptomundo that Loren Coleman is now removing all comments critical of his handling of the Georgia Bigfoot case, and his support for it. None of the posts I read were personal attacks or abusive.
Quite - most of the responses were of the "Ah well, could have happened to any of us / we all really wanted it to be true / don't be too hard on yourself, Loren" variety. Even those expressing their doubts at the time were careful not to accuse anyone else of credulity.
...Now people might say it is his blog and he can do what he wants, but it is sad to see him re-writing history and attempting to cover up the way he fell for this hoax. He has also re-written (not just added to) some of his earlier blogs to make it seem as if he was much more sceptical when the photos were published.
It is a bit sad. I don't think anyone who follows the field would think any the less of him for wishful thinking - his work up to now, and I'm sure in the future, has set a standard that many could only ever aspire to. Besides, leaving it intact would be a salutary warning to everyone to avoid Tom Biscardi like the plague: if even Loren could be taken in, it could indeed happen to anyone. Caveat quaestor.

inkedmagiclady said:
DougalLongfoot said:

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G NEWS

eeewwwwww :cross eye

It is a chocolate Cornetto, if that makes it any better! :lol:

Greetings,

As much as I wanted the Georgia BF to be real, most of me knew it was a hoax.

I just knew it took a lot of nads to claim to have a body, when they knew indeed that they had no body.

I believe that I am on record here (FTMB) as saying I am a fan of the Patty film.

I have found no evidence to convince me that the Patty film was a fake.

I have seen things that people say can't happen. i.e. objects floating in the air and flying across rooms. I have seen that.

Just say there are 1000 reports of bigfoot. Throw out 300 as liars, throw out 300 as misidentification. That leaves 400.

I think someday this will be solved and we will see lake monsters, woods monsters, and swamp monsters are just another biological being.

PEACE!

Buck

BuckeyeJones said:
...I believe that I am on record here (FTMB) as saying I am a fan of the Patty film.

I have found no evidence to convince me that the Patty film was a fake.
Ditto. Something intangible about it just feels true - besides, 40 years of persistent analysis hasn't managed to "find the zipper" yet.
Buck said:
Just say there are 1000 reports of bigfoot. Throw out 300 as liars, throw out 300 as misidentification. That leaves 400...
And of those, a fair few are Park Rangers, professional hunters and, yes, cops (but ones who want to keep their jobs, thank you very much.) People who are trained observers and also know what they're looking at.

As I've said before, of all Fort phenomena, man-beasts are to me one of the most likely to be proven of all. We've just got to be patient.
Buck said:
I think someday this will be solved and we will see lake monsters, woods monsters, and swamp monsters are just another biological being.
I've only just remembered this - and I hope someone else out there does as well - around Xmas '92, there was a chap who appeared on Montel Williams: I can't for the life of me remember his name, but he looked a lot like Gordon Liddy. Anyway, he was a Bigfoot authority, and stated categorically that not only did they exist, but proof was in the possession of various academics, including DNA evidence, spoors (which to put it politely were too big to come from a human gut), etc. He further stated that a significant number of naturalists were well aware of them and their habitat - the only reason they kept quiet was precisely to preserve the creatures from Good Ol' Boys with beer and guns trying to make a quick dollar.

QED?

stuneville said:
He further stated that a significant number of naturalists were well aware of them and their habitat - the only reason they kept quiet was precisely to preserve the creatures from Good Ol' Boys with beer and guns trying to make a quick dollar.

QED?

That's pretty much what I am hearing about the Tasmanian Tiger (Thylacine) too! And I am hoping it is true!

stuneville said:
I've only just remembered this - and I hope someone else out there does as well - around Xmas '92, there was a chap who appeared on Montel Williams: I can't for the life of me remember his name, but he looked a lot like Gordon Liddy. Anyway, he was a Bigfoot authority, and stated categorically that not only did they exist, but proof was in the possession of various academics, including DNA evidence, spoors (which to put it politely were too big to come from a human gut), etc. He further stated that a significant number of naturalists were well aware of them and their habitat - the only reason they kept quiet was precisely to preserve the creatures from Good Ol' Boys with beer and guns trying to make a quick dollar.

QED?

I suppose when you look at the other great apes that have been hunted almost to the point of extinction then there's truth in that. On the other hand, what would make these scientists any better at finding Bigfoot than the amateurs who spend weekends combing the forests?

But if Bigfoot is real, he can be legally protected - as can his habitat. Some environmentalists want would like the northwestern Bigfoot to be real because his environment is the Pacific Northwest, and big, charismatic species are easier to rouse public sympathy and generate protections for than smaller species. Also, I've read of rumors that the logging companies know perfectly well Bigfoot is out there and actively discourage their employees from making reports, because they know that they'll have a harder time getting permission to devastate forest with such a big charismatic endangered animal in it.

If any entity of more than one person has proof of such an animal, it would leak, sooner or later. Somebody would disagree with the rationale of secrecy, or have an ethical objection to lying to the public, or want to be in the newspaper story about it.

stuneville said:
It is a bit sad. I don't think anyone who follows the field would think any the less of him for wishful thinking - his work up to now, and I'm sure in the future, has set a standard that many could only ever aspire to ... if even Loren could be taken in, it could indeed happen to anyone.
I must say I don’t agree, at all.

Three people come out and say ”we have a dead body of Bigfoot ... but we’re not letting anyone see it!!!”, and one of them is a well-known con artist ... only very few people, I think, could be taken in by that.

Hell, I would be surprised if dumb people believed it.

I'm not saying he actually believed it, any more than I or anyone else did - but, as Buck neatly summed it up:
Buckeye Jones said:
As much as I wanted the Georgia BF to be real, most of me knew it was a hoax.
Likewise, deep down I knew it was a fake, but part of me (and probably part of all of us who follow this field) wished it were real. I think Loren was distracted by wishful thinking, albeit momentarily - in his original blogs he said he really wanted it to be real, and it could be real - what he absolutely didn't say was "Way hey! It's real!"

As for the rest of it, I stand by what I said. Even the most meticulous and hardened researcher can be seduced by dreams, however short-lived the seduction may be. With that in mind, I'll say again that there was really no need to re-write his blogs - fessing up is never a bad quality.

I still greatly respect Loren Coleman. Next time, though, I imagine he'll keep an eye on the ground rather more. As will we all.

I was watching the Bigfoot episode of Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World at the weekend, and besides noting that there were two people interviewed called Grover, there was a bizarre bit of "information" about how to attract a Bigfoot.

There's no nice way of putting this, so look away now if you're of a delicate disposition, but according to this epsiode, Bigfoot is attracted to menstruating women. The researchers featured were so sure they hung bags of, erm, used ladies' sanitary assistance in trees in the hope of catching them (the Bigfoot, that is).

Thing is, I've never heard of a Bigfoot case where a menstruating woman was involved. Have you? It certainly didn't help the researchers in the programme.

The "creature" is now up on ebay:

Bigfoot Hoax 'Body' Up for Sale on eBay

Remember that Bigfoot hoax back in August? Now you can own the fake "body."

A North Carolina man claims to be selling the original rubber Halloween costume on eBay, complete with the basement freezer it was kept in.

Click here to see the eBay auction page

Paranormal entrepreneur Joshua P. Warren says he's working with Rick Dyer and Matt Whitton, the Georgia hunters who claimed, for a while at least, to have shot and/or found the "corpse" in the forest.

To refresh your memory, Dyer and Whitton went on TV with notorious Bigfoot hunter Tom Biscardi on Aug. 15 to announce the "discovery" to the world.

The next day, someone working for Biscardi thawed out the frozen specimen, only to find it was a rubber suit stuffed with animal entrails.

Accusations and counter-accusations flew, Whitton lost his job as a police officer and an Indiana man who'd fronted Biscardi the $50,000 used to buy the body was left holding the bag.

Warren, who e-mailed FoxNews.com directly with news of the auction, claims on the eBay page that the costume's being sold to "settle financial problems created by the hoax."

An e-mailed reply to Warren and a phone call to a number listed on one of his Web sites were not immediately returned.

For your money — bids are currently around $55,000 — you'll get the rubber costume with "non-organic" parts replacing the roadkill guts, the freezer, "legal paperwork to prove its authenticity" and a "personal visit" from Dyer and Whitton.

It's not the first time someone's made money from an eBay auction related to the hoax. Someone in California sold a duplicate head for $600 in late August.

Of course, for $450, you could simply buy the same costume Dyer and Whitton used, minus the entrails, paperwork, freezer and personal appearance.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,437105,00.html

Is this the first sighting of Bigfoot on New Scientist? ;)

Bigfoot's likely haunts 'revealed'
12:16 06 July 2009 by Bob Holmes

Sasquatch, the mythical "Bigfoot" of western North America, makes its home deep within the fertile imaginations of gullible people. If you insist on looking for one in the real world, though, you should search in the home of the black bear – at least according to a tongue-in-cheek study of the ape-like creature's habitat preferences.

The study has a more serious message too: it's easy to be fooled into believing a plausible-looking habitat analysis, even when the data is totally erroneous.

Conservation biologists often need to predict where rare species are capable of living – for selecting the best site for a national park, for example, or forecasting how badly a species' range will suffer as the climate changes in the future.

The latest technique for making these predictions is so-called ecological niche modelling, in which researchers log the locations of known species sightings, then gather environmental data for those places to define the ecological limits of the species' range.

Jeff Lozier, an entomologist at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, was worried that some people may have been too uncritical in applying the technique. "Whenever you have these new, shiny, easy-to-use approaches, there's a temptation to use them even before you know what the kinks are," he says.

Bear facts?
So Lozier and his colleagues decided to apply ecological niche modelling to an obviously false data set – Sasquatch sightings. They gathered all reported sightings in the US states of Washington, Oregon and California and used the environmental data to predict Sasquatch distribution.

They found that the model yielded a perfectly plausible prediction about Bigfoot habitats – a warning to modellers that spurious results will not necessarily announce themselves through obvious warning signs

"The point of the paper is really well taken," says Dan Warren, an evolutionary ecologist at the University of California at Davis who is an expert in ecological niche models. "I think the literature is rife with people who are over-interpreting what comes out of these models."

The researchers also compared the niche model for Sasquatch to one they developed for black bear. The two were statistically indistinguishable, they found. This suggests that many supposed Sasquatch sightings may simply be misidentified bears – a mistake that has been made on at least one occasion, Lozier notes.

Journal reference: Journal of Biogeography (DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2699.2009.02152.x)

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... ef=dn17415

gncxx said:
I was watching the Bigfoot episode of Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World at the weekend, and besides noting that there were two people interviewed called Grover, there was a bizarre bit of "information" about how to attract a Bigfoot.

There's no nice way of putting this, so look away now if you're of a delicate disposition, but according to this epsiode, Bigfoot is attracted to menstruating women. The researchers featured were so sure they hung bags of, erm, used ladies' sanitary assistance in trees in the hope of catching them (the Bigfoot, that is).

Thing is, I've never heard of a Bigfoot case where a menstruating woman was involved. Have you? It certainly didn't help the researchers in the programme.

I remember watching that episode as a kid, with one of my sisters and some of her friends. When that part was shown, I offered mine opine that if I were Bigfoot, that would be the one thing that would ensure I STAYED AWAY from the area, and was met with withering indignation from my sister's friends (this was during the whole "Our Bodies/Ourselves" bodily effluvia=sweet ambrosial wine/female empowerment era).

Sorry ladies, no offense, but - eww.

ignatiusII said:
I remember watching that episode as a kid, with one of my sisters and some of her friends. When that part was shown, I offered mine opine that if I were Bigfoot, that would be the one thing that would ensure I STAYED AWAY from the area, and was met with withering indignation from my sister's friends (this was during the whole "Our Bodies/Ourselves" bodily effluvia=sweet ambrosial wine/female empowerment era).

Sorry ladies, no offense, but - eww.

The weird thing - well, one of the weird things - about it is that it's male researchers doing all of this in the episode, although they must have had female cooperation, but how would they go about asking their wives and girlfriends in the first place?! "You want to do what with my what?!"

There isn't any explanation for the practice in the programme either, so I wonder if Bigfoot researchers still go to these unpleasant lengths to catch one?

Bigfoot's likely haunts 'revealed'
12:16 06 July 2009 by Bob Holmes

Sasquatch, the mythical "Bigfoot" of western North America, makes its home deep within the fertile imaginations of gullible people. If you insist on looking for one in the real world, though, you should search in the home of the black bear – at least according to a tongue-in-cheek study of the ape-like creature's habitat preferences.

The study has a more serious message too: it's easy to be fooled into believing a plausible-looking habitat analysis, even when the data is totally erroneous.

When you think about it, all this article is saying is that if you put data you don't believe in into a system, you'll get results you don't believe in. Well that's a big surprise! The only thing making these results faulty is Lozier's default position of bigfoot not existing in the first place.

A more open minded use of the result would be to track the number of sightings outside the suggested habitat range, this would give some sort of indication whether sightings follow a realistic pattern for a possible real world creature.

I'm not surprised that possible bigfoot habitats and black bears are similar, both being (reportedly) large omnivorous mammals. Many brief sightings probably are mistaken bears (ie. nightime roadside sightings), however there are many than could not possibly be bears, and need some other explanation beyond hoaxes and loonies.

I like this story, I have a problem with the neat edge at the bottom of the big foot figure's image and admittedly the pics of the unknown lights could have been taken out my toilet window. But nonetheless an alleged bigfoot photo and UFO activity in Indian sacred grounds, gotta be worth a punt!

Bigfoot creature photographed in Sierra National Forest

SOURCE

The Bigfoot creature may have been captured on a remote trail camera placed in the Sierra National Forest, based on photography evidence released by Sanger Paranormal Society.

Investigator Jeffrey Gonzalez said Tuesday night that multiple cameras were put in place in this remote area on Memorial Day weekend, and retreived on June 7, 2009.

Gonzalez said they did not immediately see the evidence, but upon closer inspection, noticed what appears to be the Bigfoot creature.

Gonzalez said a group returned to the site to review the exact capture spot after many theories surfaced once the original image was released in early July.

The tree stump theory was ruled out, he said, because the "dark object" is not there. Gonzalez said the bear theory does not stand up either, because the image does not have a snout on the head.

"You can see features of a human face such as the nose, mouth and chin," Gonzalez reports.

"The arms on a bear, when standing, do not hang that far down. We also took measures on how high this thing was. According to the leaves and the branches that were covering the object's face, the tape measure said it was between 8 and 9 feet tall. The same camera that took the picture of the object also took pictures of other objects such as black bear and deer, which does not resemble the object in any way."

Gonzales said that Bigfoot investigator David Raygoza has been visiting this location for six years after an elderly Native American pointed it out to him.

He told David that this spot in the forest was sacred Indian land and that weird things happen here. He said David has had many individual sightings and has collected footprints, but has never captured anything with a camera until now.

Returning to the exact spot where the image was captured, Gonzalez said that the angle of the hill is 45 degrees, which would make it difficult for a bear to stand upright. He also said the the object is clearly brown in color, ruling out the black bear.

The Bigfoot creature has been reported in many different parts of the country during the 20th century, including an "outbreak" during 1973 and 1974, primarily in southwestern, Pennsylvania, and investigated by Stan Gordon. During that period, hundreds of Bigfoot sightings were reported as well as hundreds of UFO reports. No photographic evidence exists from that time, although Gordon collected many foot prints in that region.

Aside from this single image, Gonzalez points out that there were three additional images taken several days earlier near midnight, where a bright light lit up the area.

His group cannot account for how this happened, except that they are ruling out a flashlight as the source of the light in the images.

The following three images are of the unknown light source at this same location captured just after midnight on May 22, 2009, in the same area.

mooks out

I dunno, looks like misinterpretation of shadows to me. If they keep snapping away in that location, we might find out one way or another.

But then, I'd only be satisified if the Bigfoot was cheerily waving down the lens.

Moooksta said:
I like this story, I have a problem with the neat edge at the bottom of the big foot figure's image and admittedly the pics of the unknown lights could have been taken out my toilet window. But nonetheless an alleged bigfoot photo and UFO activity in Indian sacred grounds, gotta be worth a punt!

Bigfoot creature photographed in Sierra National Forest

Definitely shadows. You can even see them in the picture of the man at the spot. They look slightly different in the two photos, but that's probably because of the placement of the branches (and the fact they could have had more leaves) and even moreso because the second picture is a lot sharper and clearer.

Back