• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Strange image snapped on hunting camera
Is it Bigfoot?

Published : Tuesday, 08 Sep 2009,

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ky. (WAVE/CNN) - Has the legendary Bigfoot finally been found? That's what some people in Kentucky are saying after a hunter says he snapped a picture of an unidentified creature.

Kenny Mahoney says his hunting camera picked up the strange image while he was out last week. Mahoney says the creature looked bigger than him and had gorilla-type shoulders.

He says he doubts it was Bigfoot, but says he's stumped as to what it could be.

The hunter's wife sent his picture to a wildlife expert to have it examined to see if it's a bear.

LINK

Crow or raven taking off close to the camera, created a simulacra of a bigfoot at a greater distance.

Greetings,

Those are some cool shots.

I don't think it is a Bear.

Not sure what it is, but thanks for sharing the link.

PEACE!

Buck

Caught red-handed? New video footage may show Bigfoot... stealing vegetables in Kentucky
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 12:05 PM on 24th September 2009

Closed circuit television footage is often used to nab petty crooks and small-time robbers.
But when a Kentucky couple set up a camera in their back garden to discover who was stealing their vegetables, they received a nasty shock.

The grainy footage showed what appeared to be a shadowy, Sasquatach-like creature at the bottom of their land - immediately sparking speculation that it could be the fabled creature known as 'Bigfoot'.

In a new twist, the footage suggests that - if it is Bigfoot - the creature is in fact a vegetarian.

Kenny and Margaret Mahoney set up a motion camera in their back garden in Fairdale, Kentucky after their home-grown vegetables began to mysteriously disappear earlier this month.
Convinced the cheeky culprit was a racoon, they were taken aback when they later examined the film - and spotted the creature roaming the bottom of their garden.
The Mahoneys sent off the pictures to a wildlife expert friend - and, despite protests from their brother-in-law that the 'creature' is in fact a garbage bag, have now found their home the latest centre for Bigfoot enthusiasts.
'We initially suspected a deer or a racoon of stealing our green beans,' said Margaret, 47.

'However when my husband produced the pictures of the shape at the bottom of our land we must admit to being surprised.
'We worried that it might be a bear, so we sent off the picture to a good friend who is an expert in that field.
'She said in her opinion it looked like fur, but she could not confirm it was a bear.'
Intrigued as to what the motion sensor-hunting camera may have picked up, Margaret sent the image to the local news station to see what they made of it.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the story snowballed.
'After we appeared on television we were swamped with phone calls and emails from crypto-zoologists and Bigfoot hunters wanting to talk,' Margaret said.

'They all think that we may have stumbled onto something important.'
A team from the History Channel have even come and gone, after filming a segment for their show, Monster Quest.
'Our greatest fear is that it is indeed a bear,' says Margaret.
'However, bears do not live in Kentucky... so we are still at a loss as to what this figure could be.'
The mythical Bigfoot is most often sighted in North America. No conclusive evidence showing the creature exists has ever been found.

Margaret's husband, Kenny has kept his sensible hat on during the fuss that his picture created.
'I don't believe that it is Bigfoot,' the 49-year-old said. His brother-in-law had suggested it was a garbage bag that had blown up in the wind, he added. But: 'Truth be told I have no idea what it is.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... z0S78WNxNJ

DougalLongfoot said:
Crow or raven taking off close to the camera, created a simulacra of a bigfoot at a greater distance.

That was my impression also.

Ringo_ said:
DougalLongfoot said:
That was my impression also.
Not sure if you're referring to the Mail story, although a reader there did comment that it was a crow. However, it was actually quite a distance from the camera, as the uncropped photo shows.

Simian antics locally:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/So_whats_monkeying_around_at_body_shop.html

(Scroll down to the bottom of this source to get oriented geographically between this story and the next.)
So what's monkeying around at body shop?READvideocomments (11) Muddy prints were left on a trash bin by a mystery animal that has been wandering the property at JD's Paint and Body Shop.
By Valentino Lucio - Express-News It's not Bigfoot, but a hairy animal definitely is lurking around a far West Side body shop.

Following news reports about a woman who told police she had seen the elusive Sasquatch near Loop 1604 and Texas 151 Monday night, workers at JD's Paint and Body Shop on Wednesday released a murky video that shows what appears to be a hairy animal the workers say has been foraging around their trash bin for several weeks now.

Fidel Amaton, who is a technician at the body shop, was the first to see the animal early last month as he was throwing trash into the bin behind the shop. Amaton said it was early in the morning and he still was rubbing the sleep from his eyes when he was startled by what appeared to be a monkey that jumped out of the bin.

He said that unlike the 6-foot-tall “Bigfoot” sighted near Loop 1604, this animal was about 3 feet tall. It bared its teeth and let out a high-pitched hiss before it scaled the fence to the neighboring business.

“I was freaked out because I wasn't expecting to see that early in the morning,” he said. “I just backed up slowly and when it left, I ran inside to tell the guys what I saw.”

He was sure the animal was not a raccoon or a possum, and “the movement it had looked like a monkey.”

Joe Duarte, the shop's owner, and his brother, Adrian, went to look for the animal, but all they found were prints about five inches long.

“We didn't know what to think,” Joe Duarte said.

But he did wonder if the animal could have escaped from the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, which keeps baboons on hand and is located just north of the shop at Loop 410 and Texas 151.

The two immediately called the foundation. Adrian Duarte, the shop's manager, said that a few hours later, two individuals showed up to inspect the prints. He said the men told them they resembled a baboon's print.

Foundation officials said Wednesday they don't know what it is but they do know it's not theirs.

Ty May, a veterinary resource manager at the foundation who's familiar with the incident, said it's not conclusive that the prints found at the business were from any type of primate. May said the research center was “not missing any animals and have not confirmed a sighting of any kind.” Worried about what kind of animal might be foraging from their trash bin, the Duartes set up a video camera to get a better look at the animal.

“I'm cautious to walk over there,” Adrian Duarte said. “I mean, I want to see him, but then again I don't. Those animals can be dangerous.”

Still, they left food on top of the trash bin, including a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, to try and lure the animal out.

The dimly lit and fuzzy footage shows some type of animal climb atop the bin, grab the sandwich and jump back down — all in a fluid motion. But the video camera is too far back, making it hard to clearly make out any of the animal's features.

So the guys at the body shop called the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation center in Kendalia for a second opinion. On Wednesday, Katie Birk, an animal caretaker at the rescue, went to the shop to see the video.

Her initial reaction was a large smile and a laugh.

“You got a little monkey friend on your hands,” Birk said chuckling. She said the creature was “agile” and it's movements resembled an animal “not native to the area.”

The Duartes showed Birk the evidence they had collected, including the prints and tufts of hair. Birk guessed the animal could be a macaque, a primate mostly located in Asia.

Although a macaque isn't as aggressive as a baboon, Birk said that if anyone comes across the monkey, they should walk away, go inside somewhere and wait for it to go away.

Lynn Cuny, the founder of the nonprofit wildlife rescue, said they haven't received any other calls about a monkey in the area, but would help capture the animal. She said while it's not common, they occasionally will capture exotic animals that people have illegally tried to keep as pets.

She said if the animal is captured, it could live at the 200-acre sanctuary, where they have nearly 200 primates.

It has now been nearly two weeks since the Duartes last saw the hairy creature.

As for Bigfoot, well, police aren't convinced it's the real deal.

“She had seen what appeared to be a 6-foot-3 or larger creature covered with fur or hair, and had a very foul odor,” San Antonio Police Department spokeswoman Romana Lopez said of Monday's report. “It ran toward the water tower, past 1604, carrying a deer. I know there are a lot of hunting areas out that way... maybe it was a hunter.”

Now, if you've looked at the map like I've told you, you've seen Southwest Research Foundation in its relation to the body shop. So what, you ask? Well, SRF was founded by none other than Tom Slick, seeker after the Abominable Snowman! For what that's worth...

Those of you following Cryptomundo will have already seen this local Bigfoot report story:
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Update-Tracks-found-in-area-where-Bigfoot-type/y2q5CwG2O0-ZmMjICO2tDQ.cspx

Update: 'Tracks' found in area where 'Bigfoot-type' creature spotted
Reported by: Kristina De Leon
Email: [email protected]
Last Update: 12/02 8:22 pm

Search for Bigfoot in Bexar County

SAN ANTONIO -- Experts are now investigating reported sightings of a large, hairy, 'Bigfoot-type' creature on the West Side.

Police said the 'Bigfoot-type' creature was spotted in the area around Highway 151 and Loop 1604. A caller told police a large, tall, hairy creature dragged a deer carcass into the woods. Officers searched the area, but said they did not find anything.

"If one sighting is real, then that means something is out there," said Rick Tullos, who is a member of the Gulf Coast Bigfoot Research Organization.

Tullos has traveled around the country to investigate sightings and is now checking out the latest report in the San Antonio area.

"We look for an area where the fence has been bent down," Tullos explained. "Or maybe evidence of some hairs caught in some of the barbs of the fence."

News 4 WOAI's crew looked around the area with Tullos and didn't find anything at first. But a short time later, a set of tracks was spotted that Tullos said did not look like those that would be made by a human.

Tullos said he will have to analyze the tracks and, hopefully, find more evidence of what may have been in the woods.

Tullos told News WOAI there have been a handful of sightings on the Far West Side, including out near Lackland Air Force Base and in other wooded areas near Highway 151 several years back.

The hunter theory is not impossible as it is deer season, and that area is built up enough that if you were hunting there you would want to do it when fewer people are out and about. If the witnesses were close enough to smell it, though...No gunshot reports, but for the same reason you'd probably prefer bowhunting. Even in Texas, suburbanites get upset about guns going off in the middle of the night.

It's either Bigfoot or Johnny Cash. Or a tall Goth.

Since Johnny Cash is dead, that'd be every bit as Fortean as Bigfoot. It certainly isn't a bear. Really the only thing that'd make you think "not human" is the height, and I'm taking the witness's word for that, as he presumably knows the heights of the trees.

Johnny Cash is dead? Really? Better cross him off the list, then...

Anyway, looks to me less than seven feet, by comparison to the grass and leaves in the foreground and the trees near it. But hard to tell from a photograph. Besides, if you saw that late at night, you'd probably over-estimate it's height.

Of course, it seems to be unsurprised by the bright light from the camera flash or spotlight or whatever it is, which is also curious.

Cash died in 2003. That's why you haven't heard any new songs from him lately.

Animals caught by motion-sensitive cameras don't generally look surprised, because the light goes off at the same time that the shutter drops. If it didn't, all you'd get is shots of animal butts racing away.

Is this Bigfoot or just the latest internet viral hoax? Family films 'creepy' silent, monkey-like creature on hike through snow-covered woods
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 6:39 PM on 07th January 2010

Bitterly cold in January, the north-eastern U.S. state of Maine is not known for its monkey population.
So when a family hiking through snow-covered woods claimed they had spotted a strange, ape-like creature sitting silently in a tree, it was not long before the suggestion that Bigfoot had been spotted was made.

The unidentified family managed to capture what they said was a monkey-like creature on video.

The footage, posted on YouTube by American user webtech88 five days ago, has been continuously clicked on ever since and become one of the first internet hits of 2010.

It opens with a shot of the creature, sitting high in a tree in a snow-covered forest.
A woman can be heard telling a child to look at 'the bear' in the branches.
'I don't like bears,' the child tearfully replies - understandably so.
Strangely, the prospect of coming across a bear in the woods while walking with a child does not seem to perturb the adults in the group.
The group appear to have approached the creature from behind and the cameraman can even be heard whistling, presumably in an effort to attract the 'bear's' attention.
'I think its face is the other way,' remarks one of the party before a new angle emerges showing the creature's face.

As the camera closes in, however, the adults grow a little concerned as they realise it might not be a bear. Without moving a muscle the creature steadfastly gazes back at the party.

'I see an ape,' says the confused woman.
'It does look like a monkey,' the cameraman agrees.
'I can't believe we saw a porcupine bear,' the woman jokes. 'That really looks like a monkey,' says the cameraman, adding: 'Creepy.'
The creature remains perched in the tree. Although hair on the top of what appears to be its head is visible, its face remains obscured in shadow.
'I'm going to climb the tree,' the woman announces. The cameraman laughs at the suggestion.
'Did his mouth just open?' he says as the creature shifts position. 'That looks like a freaking monkey.'
'I think it's a snow monkey,' the woman says as the footage comes to an end.
The family has not come forward to speak about the incident.

Maine has had a plethora of Bigfoot sightings over the years.

Bigfoot, also known as Sasquatch, is a creature which supposedly lives in forests, predominately in the Pacific Northwest region of North America. Maine is on the opposite side of the U.S., in the top north-east corner of the country.
It is usually described as a large, hairy creature which most consider to be a figment of folklore and hoaxes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... z0c188NBRx

It looks very like a baboon to me. Though who can say just what a baboon would be doing up a tree in Maine in January...

Freezing it's poor butt off, that's what.

I wish I could say lack of fear and willingness to approach animals in the wild were an unusual feature of American adults. We'd have fewer animal attacks if this were true. It would be cool to see a bear, but not from too close! At least the kid has the sense to keep distance.

Don't think that's Bigfoot, that's an anomaly of a different colour, our old friend the presumed escapee from a circus or zoo.

Well, I'm really disappointed that nobody's come up with the "man in a gorilla suit" option! ;)

(Mind you, he'd have to be a good tree climber...)

Don't know about 'man-in-gorilla-suit' , maybe gorilla suit with nobody in it.
Over on Cryptomundo they are speculating that it's a porcupine, although how the f*** it got all that way up a tree is yet to be explained.
If it's a bigfoot shouldn't it be a bit, well, bigger?

According to the NatGeo site:

The porcupines found in North and South America are good climbers and spend much of their time in trees.

So there you go. Climbing up to meet one would not be any smarter than climbing up to meet a bear. He'd put your eye out!

Shouldn't any self-respecting bear be denned-up and snoozing away the bitter cold of january in Maine? A bear with insomnia so bad as to keep him from hibernating has got to be cranky.

It looks very much like a porcupine to me. It's too small for bear (except a cub) or Bigfoot (ditto) and I don't see anything apelike. Somebody on the video even says "porcupine," but the "monkey" ID is made right after that and the idea is dropped. I'm thinking these aren't habitual nature-walkers. It'd be a good-sized porcupine, and I don't know why it's so high, but we don't have them anyplace I've lived so it's not like I'm up on their habits. Maybe you have to get that high to reach any good bark on that particular tree, or maybe it was hoping the tourists would leave it alone if it got high enough.

I live in CT, northeastern USA, and one of my co-workers claims to have seen what he thinks was a "Bigfoot" while driving through southern Vermont on Interstate 91 (I91).
He and three friends were going skiing for a weekend, and he said that this creature ran out across the highway, and when their lights hit it, it froze and raised its arms above its head. They were all scared, and veered around it and sped up as they continued down the highway. He has told me the story a few times, and he always mentions that their car broke down shortly after that, and they had to pull over at a hotel, and were all terrified because it was still somewhat close to where they had seen the "Bigfoot."
He says a couple of the friends present don't talk about it today (it was close to 20 years ago I think).
I asked him what it looked like, and he sort of laughed, and said "a big tall ape looking man, covered with hair." He said it was very tall.
He has nothing to gain by being snickered at at work (by others, not me haha), and appears to me to be telling the truth. Can't say I am sure what to make of it...

NC man claims to have come face-to-face with Bigfoot
by ANN SHERIDAN / NewsChannel 36
Posted on June 14, 2010 at 11:54 PM
Updated yesterday at 10:14 AM

CASAR, N.C. -- Tim Peeler thought he was calling coyotes, but he got something that frightened even this self-proclaimed mountain man.

"Instead of them, (there was) him. The thing was 10 feet tall with beautiful hair, yellowish hair and a yellow beard," said Peeler.

Sgt. Mark Self of the Cleveland County Sheriff's Office remembers the sightings of a "Bigfoot Beast" when he was a child.

"It scared me," he recalled.

Self said people believed they saw a Sasquatch in the same parts of Cleveland County. The reports were frightening to the then 10-year-old boy.

"It was killing animals and breaking into barns and killing chickens," he said of the reported stories.

Peeler says it's the same creature that he saw for himself just last week near his home atop a mountain in Casar. He says the beast was approaching his dogs and got wrapped around their chains.

"I rough talked him and said, 'You get away from here,'" he said.

Peeler says the beast eventually left, but then came back again.

"And I said, 'Get, get,' and he went back down the path again," he said.

Peeler said he called deputies and then filed a suspicious person report. He is troubled that he didn't give a better description and was drawing a rendering of what he remembers.

"He looked like he had six fingers on each hand," Peeler said.

Reports of a Sasquatch aren't new to Cleveland County. They date back to the 1970s, although deputies we talked to say they haven't heard the stories in years.

"This is totally blowing my mind," said Self. "But it doesn't bother me. We're working up here so if we see something we'll try to capture it and take it into custody."

As for the man making the latest sighting, Peeler says he realizes people may not believe his account. He simply asks that you keep an open mind and not laugh at him. After all, he says, we all know that foxes exist, but how often do you spot one of those?

http://www.wcnc.com/home/Big-Foot-spott ... 48919.html

Additional links:

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12654805
http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/artic ... t/19518628

Surprised the copy 'n' pasters missed this one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12683388

Bigfoot film-maker sues New Hampshire over free speech

An amateur film-maker who dressed as the mythical Bigfoot creature is suing the state of New Hampshire after park rangers told him to leave a mountain where he had been engaging with hikers.

Jonathan Doyle's friends had been filming him on Mount Monadnock.

He argues the state's requirement that he pay for a permit and get a $2m (£1.2m) insurance bond before he can film violates his free speech rights.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is backing Mr Doyle's lawsuit.

"The underlying activities are humorous, but the principle's important," Jon Meyer, a lawyer representing Mr Doyle, told the Associated Press (AP) news agency.

He added: "We don't believe there's any legitimate government role in regulation."

New Hampshire state officials have not commented on the case.

'Socially engaging'

Mr Doyle said no complaints had been made to the state park service in 2009 when he first dressed as Bigfoot, traversed Mount Monadnock, then took off his costume and interviewed bystanders about what they had seen.

"People loved it. It was socially engaging," the 30-year-old told AP.

But when Mr Doyle announced he would head back to the mountain on 19 September last year, Monadnock park manager Patrick Hummel brought it to the attention of his supervisor in an e-mail entitled "Bigfoot problem on Monadnock... not kidding".

Mr Hummel then intercepted Mr Doyle during his next outing, barring the film-maker and his friends from filming and requiring them to obtain a permit.

"Jonathan Doyle started this thing with nothing but good humour and intentions," said Barbara Keshen, a lawyer for the New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union. "But it does have serious overtones."

Both Ms Keshen and the state of New Hampshire filed motions in court on Tuesday.

Mr Doyle is seeking attorneys' fees, nominal damages and to be given the opportunity to film on the mountain without obtaining a permit.

Bigfoot, also known as Sasquatch, is a humanoid creature said to wander the wooded wilds of the Pacific Northwest.

I guess you can sue over anything these days. Does dressing up as a gorilla and annoying passersby count as free speech, though?

Id say it was suicidal given that many US hikers encumber themselves with firearms.

But wouldnt it be funny in an amusing but not nice way if he did get plugged??

Oh goody, another blurry video....

Is this big foot? New video emerges of 'ape man'
By Daniel Bates
Last updated at 1:27 AM on 25th March 2011

Standing 7ft tall and waving his hairy arms in the air, this is supposedly the latest sighting of the mythical creature known as ‘Bigfoot’.
In a grainy film shot by a passer-by the 300lbs creature growls and dashes across the road to try and find cover in the woods.
The clip lasts five seconds but the blurry figure is clearly visible making his way unsteadily across the tarmac - on two legs.
Scroll down for video

It was shot by Vietnam war veteran Thomas Byers who is convinced it was Bigfoot, the mythical ape-like creature which prowls the wilds of North America.
He said it weighed 300lbs, had yellow teeth and left behind six-toed footprints, not to mention a strong whiff of decay.
‘It was truly one of the most amazing sites I have ever seen,’ he said.
‘It was at one point only 15-20 foot from me and it happened so fast and shook me up so bad that I really didn't understand what I had seen until it was up the side of the mountain and out of sight.’

Mr Byers and his friend Carolyn Wright were in the countryside of Rutherford County in North Carolina when they spotted the beast climbing up a bank by the road.
When they stopped the creature looked at Mr Byers, threw up its hands and roared before running into the bushes.
‘It ran across the road and into the woods right in front of us and I was able to film it,’ Mr Byers wrote on his blog.
‘In the short video you can hear it snarl or growl at me.
‘One thing I know is the smell of it was horrid. It smelled like a cross between road kill and a skunk.
‘And it did not like the fact that I was there on the road with it. In the video you can hear it snarl or growl at me as it crosses the road.’

The sighting happened in Golden Valley where a Bigfoot called ‘Knobby’
has been sighted for years.
Mr Byers said: ‘I do know it was a very real being that was severely p***** that I was there on the road with it. It was truly one of the most amazing things that I have ever seen.’

The myth of Bigfoot has been a fixture of local legend in the Pacific Northwest of America for centuries and has achieved a level of notoriety on a par with the Loch Ness monster, despite no concrete evidence he actually exists.
Known as a ‘Sasquatch’, he stands on two legs but is covered with fur and makes crude animal noises instead of speech.
The number of Bigfoot sightings spiked after an article in the December 1959 issue of now-defunct monthly magazine True.

The most celebrated instance was the Patterson-Gimlin film shot by Roger Patterson and Robert Gimlin in northern California in 1967, around the time that the original Planet of the Apes was released.
The film’s director John Landis later accused its costume designer John Chambers, who created the monkey suits, of being the man in the ‘sighting’ footage.
Another man also came forward more than 30 years later and said he was the man in the Gorilla suit, alleging Patterson had offered him $1,000 to don the ape outfit.

Mr Byers’ sighting sparked a frenzy of speculation on the Internet and accounts from other people who also claim to have seen the beast.
Saw one too[?] posted on Mr Byers’ web page: ‘In 1970, my girlfriend and I saw one also, about 7 foot tall, in Northern Wisc.
‘We had just finished a ‘make out session’ in a rural area of heavy woods, I backed the car out of the dirt road to the main road, when we reached the main road, a large bigfoot, pushed the branches apart of the heavy brush by the edge of the road, it was huge and only 5-6 feet from her door.
‘She screamed, I looked over, saw this giant man/ape creature coming at the car, literally a few feet away, I hit the gas and sped away, miles before we stopped and tried to collect ourselves.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1HdH3bGTG

The most celebrated instance was the Patterson-Gimlin film shot by Roger Patterson and Robert Gimlin in northern California in 1967, around the time that the original Planet of the Apes was released.

The film’s director John Landis later accused its costume designer John Chambers, who created the monkey suits, of being the man in the ‘sighting’ footage.

Ha, John Landis directed the ape film Shlock, not Planet of the Apes!

Back