• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. J

Author Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's

YAHOO NEWS Terrible news. :(
  2. J

More or less 'Forteana' and more or less writing?

Not about a specific piece of Forteana, more about the culture of Forteana than anything else. I didn't really know where to post this either. Anyway... I commented elsewhere about the reasons I stopped buying a couple of 'Fortean'-related magazines, chiefly because the pr0n content...
  3. J

Marcel Dzama

Anyone else like Marcel Dzama? I saw some of his work earlier this year at Tate Liverpool and was really impressed. Technically not the best painting/illustrations I've ever seen, putting it politely, but there's a really great quality to the work that would be lost if the execution was on a...
  4. J

Paedophiles' brains 'different' and brain scanning

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7006628.stm This is interesting but raises a lot of questions. The more that paedophilia is seen as a biological model, the more it places the idea of societal finger pointing in more ambiguous territory. Also, with regards to brain-scanning in terms of...
  5. J

My God is greener than your God

On a BBC radio broadcast a few years ago, the one mentioned in the Emma Restall-Orr thread, there was an Anglican proffering the point of view that the Christian church was a pretty 'green' and nature-based religion. In todays Indie: http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2987811.ece...
  6. J

Emma Restall Orr

Chief of the Order of the Yew and the more attractive (and marketable?) face of modern druidry. I know some people aren't happy with where she's taking druidry at the moment but it's not her views or role that I'm interested in - it's her voice. I've never heard her speak in real-life; only...
  7. J

word count?

I appreciate the argument that it's quality rather than quantity that's important, but I'm wondering whether there's actually less to read in Fortean Times these days? I tend to read everything in the magazine but I get the feeling that there's less written material these days than there has...
  8. J

the importance of Wyrd

I've been wondering of the last few days about the concept of wyrd and how important it was to North European cultures. Now I'll admit to buying the little Blum book about runes in the mid-1980s which had the blank/wyrd/Odin rune and am aware that it's a modern invention but, to me at any...
  9. J

The New Barbarism

I’ve started a new thread rather than continue from the otherin Mainstream News Stories as I believe that it’s a far wider issue than education and I don’t want to derail the existing thread. Also, this is a very long post and I didn’t want to rude and just drop something so big in an existing...
  10. J

Rasputina: eating rats and the pope

I know there's a few Rasputina fans on here so this may appeal from the start, but the 'Fortean' nature of these particular lyrics, as well as others*, may intrigue others too. Rasputina did a song called Ratson their Cabin Fever album. Now for some reason, this is niggling some nerve in my...
  11. J

Pict Religion?

I know the TV-opiate horror of Big Brother is beneath the likes of a lot of you, but you may or may not be aware but last weekend saw the eviction of a short-lived contestant who claimed to be a 'Pictish pagan'. There's been a lot of talk about him being a 'witch' but I'm not sure as to whether...
  12. J

Celebrating and acknowledging the fakeness of urban legends

Sorry the title's a little clumsy! I was wondering whether anywhere else acknowledged the fact that a local urban myth was a myth but celebrated it all the same? The frog in the wall has always been popular where I live - why the 'investigation' in the article occurred I don't know as...
  13. J

A little love for Bill Willingham's Fables comic?

Easily one of my favourite comic runs of all time and has some great Fortean material in it, particularly for the folklorists amongst us. It's really clever in places and the artwork is consistently brilliant and the covers are amongst the best in comicdom. The Christmas issue has some nice...
  14. J

Which conspiracy, if true...

Which conspiracy, if true, would have the greatest ramifications for us all? Jesus getting hitched and having kids? The Protocols of the Elders of Zion? Hoaxed moon landings?* I'm not interested in what's the most likely etc., etc., just which would have the biggest "SHIT!" factor...
  15. J

Steven Jesse Bernstein

Any fans of this late performance poet and writer? For the uninitiated, it's kind of beat, kind of stream-of-consciousness but with an angry, almost Dead Kennedys feel. His poems, to me at least, sound like a Winston Smith pop culture collage looks. His sad life dominated by addiction and...
  16. J

High Weirdness by Mail (and the death of print weirdness?)

I bought a second hand copy of High Weirdness by Mail - A directory of the Fringe: Mad Prophets, Crackpots, Kooks & True Visionaries by Rev. Ivan Stang (from the Church of Sub-Genius) today. It's a great compendium of some of the more unusual fanzines and journals out there (has a good write-up...
  17. J

Cyclical Non-Uterine Dysmenorrhea

Didn't really know where to put this, but it's a little odd never-the-less. http://www.menwithcramps.com There's a great bit of gender stereotyping with the question: Involuntary loss of interest in pleasurable activities (such as fishing, sports, or handling tools)?
  18. J

If you could buy a ghost, would you?

I know the fad has passed, but regarding the eBay 'ghost in a bottle' craze, would you actually buy one if they were the real deal*? Would your interest in the paranormal actually outweigh the possibility of bringing a spectral loose cannon into your home? Also, if these entitities had some form...
  19. J

B sub s meson particle

There's an interesting article about the B sub s meson particle here.
  20. J

Buffy Sainte-Marie

Apologies if this has been posted already. Buffy Sainte-Marie's Censored Sounds
  21. J

Graham Bond

Has Fortean Times ever done an article on the late, great Graham Bond? Not quite Joe Meek-level weirdness but a strange character none-the-less.
  22. J

The Cock Lane Ghost ('Scratching Fanny'; London; 1762)

The Cock Lane Ghost: Murder, Sex and Haunting in Dr. Johnson's London by Paul Chambers I wasn't sure whether to put this here on in the ghosts forum. I read this the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it; the amount of background information provided was amazing. In fact, the actual hoax...
  23. J

The Air Loom Gang

I've tried searching for a thread on this but couldn't find any as such, just a few isolated references in the odd post here and there. I've consciously avoided reading it for several years but finally succumbed and read it one day earlier this summer. I know some people here have read it and...
Back