• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

The Purported Tombs of Jesus (Elsewhere Than Jerusalem)

Jesus' tombs A quick question, really... There are claims that Jesus' tomb is in Kashmir, India. And other claims that it is in Japan. What other locations have (even minor) claims to his tomb besides Israel, India and Japan?
  2. M

Language Extinction / Endangered Languages

I often get asked by my friends, "how cum u use complet sentences wid grammer and all that in your mails!!!11"
  3. M

Back up, back up there! Nothing wrong with studying and attempting to preserve a language! Allow it to get replaced, because it is inevitable as the Reverend Agent Smith would say. But there ought to be some sort of a compendium that documented the entire language in all of its quirkness...
  4. M

The Teaching Of Creationism

I agree with this, that we have this desire for giving our existence a meaning, but I feel that if science were to start integrating such a factor into their system, then we'd fall back. The science process would be stunted (IMEO) and the entire direction of research as well as perspective on...
  5. M

Homo Floresiensis ('Hobbits'; Small Archaic Humans)

Wow. I just read through every post in this thread, and every article linked to from it. :cross eye As for creationists' viewpoints on this matter, I have a feeling that this will be simply sidelined or not looked at. Then again, this find is so big, that it'll be talked about for...
  6. M

LemonPie, you do make a point there. It's always sad to see something of 'heritage' go. Just like ancient monuments becoming derelict due to neglect, or animals being wiped out, or in this case, a language going extinct. But I see a good side to this. With the propagation of computers, as...
  7. M

The Computer Virus Industry

Taras, I'd really like a link to that article if you can remember where you got it from.
  8. M

Teleportation

Er... ok, I know I'm late, but I've been away, y'know? (Thanks Mod for moving it!)
  9. M

Roopkund Lake Mystery

Very interesting. I am a few hundred miles from that place right now. I will find out about it first thing Monday. :)
  10. M

Teleportation

Air Force to study Psychic Teleportation Seriously hope this hasn't been posted before! Crackpot science? :rolleyes: Source (edit: removed the quote as it's identical to the one quoted just above. Jane)
  11. M

Has Arafat Been Poisoned?

Not a conspiracy, but I see the whole region spiralling downwards when he goes...
  12. M

Strange Deaths

Man lies Dead in apartment for 20 years http://news.excite.com/odd/article/id/97612|oddlyenough|06-10-2004::14:46|reuters.html
  13. M

The Placebo Effect

Many years ago, before the dawn of mankind, I did a study on the placebo effect for school. Ever since that day, I lost trust in doctors. And the only thing I think of when I see medicines are "placebo". Two things have come out of it. 1. I don't fall sick very often like I used...
  14. M

China: The Tomb Of The First Emperor (The Eighth Wonder Of The World)

Rivers of Mercury? What for? Can anyone explain this concept?
  15. M

The Frog Menace

Grow, my children, grow. Today, San Francisco, Tomorrow, The world!! MWHAHAHAHAH!!!! *ahem*
  16. M

Time, Temporality & Perceptions Thereof: What Are They?

Time is our attempt to bring order to the chaotic, ceaseless streamline of events that are occuring. It is also used to get us to office "on time," which is what I have to do right now. :mad:
  17. M

Paradoxes

Hedge may be right... I always did feel we're living in a shithole. :)
  18. M

Paradoxes

I just thought of another paradox, somewhat obscure. Fishes, real or symbolic, in odd numbers are considered lucky. So are 13 fishes lucky or unlucky? :blah:
  19. M

People Who Don't Officially Exist (ID Issues; Outside 'The System')

He is the real person. We are non-persons, just numbers. In a way. ;)
  20. M

Plant Emotions / Consciousness / Communication

Related to plants feeling and defending themselves, I read this somewhere some time ago: Acacia trees, as a defense mechanism, grew thorns, to prevent giraffes from eating their leaves. In turn, the giraffes evolved long tongues to get past the thorns. Next, the acacia tree started...
  21. M

Reincarnation? Recalling Past Lives (From Memory; In Dreams)

What are the various reasons and theories as to the existence of past life memories?
  22. M

The Story Of The Great Flood (Biblical / Noah's Voyage; Other Ancient Traditions)

Considering how every culture has it's own Flood Myth, I'd say that this occured a very long time ago, much before the scriptures today claim it to have happened. I think it's a legend passed on by word-of-mouth before it started being written down. What's more, it was probably some...
  23. M

Spam (and the Sender Theory)

In hotmaill, you can choose to view message headers. Get the IP address from there, and add it to your block list. So if the IP mentioned there is 67.218.38.141, add this to your block list: 67.218.38.* Additionally, there are a couple email domains used regularly for spamming...
  24. M

Sea Balls / Seaballs / Neptune Balls

I find it intriguing that a sea-ball that size weighs less than a tennis ball. Nice read, Emp. :)
  25. M

Water On Mars

Don't remember the last time I heard of a non-stop-eternal-lava-spouting volcano, but if that's the case, then yes, it must be gnomes inside.
  26. M

Advice on visiting a psychic

I'm holding my breath for it
  27. M

Is Light God?

That would explain that burni--- uhm... nothing.
  28. M

Exploding dollar bills

Of course. Send your money to me, I'll take care of it. :)
  29. M

Teotihuacan

The first article mentions that it would take about one year for this method. The second article mentions the same method being used at airports. How is that supposed to work, do they analyze the package with the Alvarez method for 3 months? If it's a small package, it might take a few...
  30. M

Secret Societies

Re: Secret Societies...we're all in one... What if I am the one who's the only non-member, and you are a member and you're just saying this to throw me off guard? After all, the Universe does revolve around me. I'm pretty sure of this.
  31. M

Advice on visiting a psychic

And watch out for Barnum Statements. Just because the other person's a psychic, doesn't mean you need to elevate them to a stature of an 'all-knowing' being who speaks in very vague terms. Oh, and please please please do tell us what happened in the session. I'll watch this thread. :)
  32. M

Levitating Stones

Homo Aves is a she? Me is impressed ;) India has a lot of religious places, and the problem is, there are so many allegedly magical places that it's a matter-of-fact thing. Just about every temple there has something of the sort attributed to it. I've been around, but haven't seen a...
  33. M

The Coffee Thread

You are a lucky, lucky person. Either that, or you ain't drinking the right stuff ;)
  34. M

Levitating Stones

I asked him yesterday. He mentions that he's never heard this story before. Do you think you could ask your dad or mom (since she'd know too) for more details? If the stone has a name?
  35. M

The Coffee Thread

My birthday is a national holiday in Columbia. :) Oh, and I've decided to move to Italy. :)
  36. M

Levitating Stones

Don't mean to be a spoilsport here, but this just might be another one of those stories that get passed by word-of-mouth from person to person, without any proof or documentation for that matter. Kinda like a 'rumour' whose purpose is to elevate the religion to a higher point of respect in...
  37. M

Gay Sheep & Human Sexuality

What I'm about to say might sound offensive, but I assure you, it's not my intent. I feel homosexuality is a natural tendency. It's not a perversion or a disorder. It might exist as a result of nature placing its natural checks on the population. The only thing is, it's been given a...
  38. M

Water On Mars

Mars had water. It's gone. Probably evaporated. Some in the ice caps. Was it supposed to stick around, hovering outside the planet, waiting for us to come to it? As an analogy, is Io (the moon) too small to have volcanos? Why does it have volcanos then? Io disperses its lava...
  39. M

Is Light God?

It's not omnipresent, because I can guarantee you there's no light inside my asshole right now. Also, if it's omniscient, please figure out a way to manipulate the data it's carrying. That would be something awesome. Third, I love the way people will come up with some new concept...
  40. M

Time Can be Turned Back !!

A search yields just 3 results, all with the same text. So Pravda would be the source of this info. Now what?
  41. M

Curses

I have one story that I'd like to share. I'm typing this out from a book, btw. A question for our UK counterparts: Is skeptical spelt "sceptical" there?
  42. M

Weird Humanoids

Re: Loveland Frog Loveland Frogs
  43. M

Jerusalem Syndrome

:lol:
  44. M

Globetrotting for People with Short Legs (Staying within Own Nation)

Take it from me, it's not the same thing. Visiting another country is a totally different experience. You can visit all the Indian restaurants and Indian people in the world, but when you're in Delhi or Bombay, you see their 'life', how it is. Souveneirs merely offer a tiny glimpse of the...
  45. M

Or a cool evil smoking frog.
  46. M

Jerusalem Syndrome

There's another theory that this syndrome has existed before Christianity came about, and may have led to its foundation. Indirectly, implying that Jesus Christ himself was subject to the Jerusalem Syndrome.
  47. M

Paradoxes

Everyone: Thank you for your inputs! I apologize for not being clear enough. Paradoxes indeed are more of a play on words in most cases. About the Olber's paradox, there's one more thing to remember: The Universe in the Olber's paradox is the Newtonian universe. So we can also have...
  48. M

Suicides Using Ground Vehicles (Trains; Trucks; Etc.)

The government should realize that throwing yourself in front of a tree isn't a surefire way of dying. What if the tree isn't moving fast enough? :eek:
  49. M

Ghost of Darwin

If we were to view the current state of the spiritual section (religious) of society and assume that a spiritual world would be a larger version of the same, then these are the advantages I can think of: 1. There would be a conflict of interests which would result in wars, genocide or...
  50. M

Paradoxes

Hello. :) I'm looking to collect paradoxes for an article I will write soon, and I'm pretty sure you guys would have plenty to share. Basically, the paradox can be scientific or non-scientific in nature, no matter. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here's what I've got so far...
Back