• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. ravensocks

People Who Feel Wrong

Speaking as a very novice cyclist, the slow one's may be barely managing to, well, cycle. I cannot take a hand off my handle bars and can barely make eye contact. Bikes are scary and hard work when you're just starting out
  2. ravensocks

Peculiar (And Lost) 'Wisdom' & Advice From Our Elders

I always thought it had something to do with cat mums (or unspayed cats) being called queen's. A 'who does she think she is, the Queen of Sheeba?' type deal. I admit though that this is just something I randomly thought of, no idea if that's how or why the use of she for cat's mother came about.
  3. ravensocks

What Was Your Entry To The World Of Weird?

What was the event or starting point for your interest in inexplicable weirdness? Arthur C Clark's World of Strange Powers (then Mysterious World), in the UK in the 80s as a far too young pup. Newby church ghost, SHC, weirdness - Terrifying!
  4. ravensocks

Which Fortean Phenomena Scares You The Most?

I thought I'd replied to this, but it may have been one if the threadalikes. The creepy ghosts - the Newby Church ghost gave me the willies. Don't care if it's debunked - willies. One, can't remember any details, but finger nails scraping over a microphone placed high in a roof. Mysterious...
  5. ravensocks

I Held The Eye Of (A) God

That is very cool!
  6. ravensocks

"Meeting Nicola"

Yes, apologies I may not have been clear. It was Frank's non-appearance I was commenting on.
  7. ravensocks

"Meeting Nicola"

Absolutely, I actually agree with most of what you post here. Clearly only Damien knows the truth of what has been posted, but regardless it is a brilliant post that the majority of replies seemed to have very much enjoyed. * I * don't think there is much to be gained by assuming that just...
  8. ravensocks

"Meeting Nicola"

People are allowed to not want to join/post/be involved in these threads.
  9. ravensocks

Alex Jones

Placeboing's whole Alex Jones playlist is surprisingly catchy
  10. ravensocks

The Loch Ness Monster

Ha, I stand corrected - thanks!
  11. ravensocks

The Loch Ness Monster

Nessie is a roe deer? I'll bet the monster hunters didn't suspect that one! Edit: predictive text hates me
  12. ravensocks

Shadows Of Fear

This series ended last week. On the whole there were more hits than misses. I found 'Return of Favours' and 'Come into my Parlour' quite tiresome, and I confess to not really understanding the ambiguous ending to 'White walls and olive green carpets', but I enjoyed the rest. The final tale was...
  13. ravensocks

Shadows Of Fear

That was a corker! Couple of nasty moments, and a great final scene
  14. ravensocks

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Sometimes the feeling of wool makes the back of my hands tingle in quite an unpleasant way. I'm okay with cotton wool though.
  15. ravensocks

Postal Privacy: Securing Letters (Etc.) From Prying Eyes

Interesting, but I bet people in the 17th century were glad when envelopes were invented, saves all the faff!
  16. ravensocks

Pant-Wettingly Scary Public Information Films

Hooray! Glad my overheated brain didn't make it up. Definately advice to live by.
  17. ravensocks

Does anyone remember a PIF about the dangers of parking near piers or harbours? Had a blue Volvo dropped into a swimming pool and the helpful advice to crack open a window so once the car filled up you could open the door easier. I've been looking for it for decades, but no one remembers it...
  18. ravensocks

Shadows Of Fear

Great stuff, hope the rest of the run holds up! I was quite surprised at some of the names that appeared. Never heard of Menace, but that sounds a cracker
  19. ravensocks

Shadows Of Fear

Very catchy!
  20. ravensocks

Shadows Of Fear

For the resident Brits, the Talking Pictures channel (sky channel 328) are showing Shadows of Fear, an anthology series from 1971 on Tuesdays at 4am. These hour long episodes cover a range of fear inducing situations, but (I believe) without straying into the paranormal. We're only on episode 2...
  21. ravensocks

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

I no longer see spring onion flavour crisps in the UK. Which is a sad state of affairs, as they are the best
  22. ravensocks

Fortean Films

Wasn't sure whether to post this under Fortean Cartoons or here, but I watched Gints Zilbalodis' 'Away' over the weekend. A simple animation style fully created, edited and scored by Zilbalodis - but which tells a powerful story. There's no dialogue, but the unnamed protagonist and his little...
  23. ravensocks

Horror Films

I have a real soft spot for The Unfolding. It is slow moving in places, but I like the extra horror of the escalating nuclear threat, and there are a couple of effective jump scares. Great wee film.
  24. ravensocks

Ghosts & Entities Moving In A Jerky / Disjointed / Clumsy Manner

Maybe these figures come across as strange on a subconscious level - so our brains register them as being in the uncanny valley, unnaturally too/less real or moving oddly. They might look relatively normal, but we perceive some small thing as being more important than it really is, to underline...
  25. ravensocks

Bad Vibes About People

Baddies in disguise - they are cloaked. If picking up on bad vibes is an evolutionary survival mechanism, it stands to reason that predators (of whatever type or level) would have a similar mechanism to come across as nice and normal. We've all heard the stories of the 'not very nice' people...
  26. ravensocks

Bad Vibes About People

This makes sense. Female here, I agree that women maybe do get a bit of a pass for some of that behaviour (my experience). Also more socially adept people are usually happy to jump in if the conversational ball is dropped. I suspect it's a mix of knowing the person, being more adept and a bit...
  27. ravensocks

Bad Vibes About People

I sometimes worry that I give off bad vibes. I'm not great in social situations and often have to remind myself to make eye contact/not make too much eye contact, fill uncomfortable silences/not say that thing I find funny etc. I suspect this can come across as quite off putting to people who...
  28. ravensocks

Homicidal Fictional Reality Game Shows As A Movie / TV Genre

If reality shows that blur the lines of taste count... A bit tamer, but I have found memories of The Murder Game on the BBC. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Murder_Game_(TV_series) I'm also greatly enjoying Release the Hounds, which is trash but actually very creepy...
  29. ravensocks

Seeing A Person Disappear

:eek:
  30. ravensocks

Seeing A Person Disappear

I sometimes see that effect when travelling on buses. Something catches the eye which looks like it is just outside, but sometimes it is a reflection (or a reflection of a reflection) from a window on the other side of the bus (or a reflection x2 of a reflection from a shop window outside). It...
  31. ravensocks

Fortean Art

That looks very cool!
  32. ravensocks

The Thread Of Sherlock Holmes

A classic. One of my personal favourites!
  33. ravensocks

Cloning / Cloned Pets

I think this has the potential to be (genuinely) very sad. You have a beloved pet, but the clone will have his own little personality and obviously won't be the same as the original pet. I think there may be some people would want their exact original pet back and might be disappointed that...
  34. ravensocks

The Scariest Place In Britain

Great thread that definitely deserves a bump! I am not familiar with Hermitage Castle, but from looking at photos I wonder if it is something to do with the sheer bulk of it. It looks intimidating (probably the point, in all fairness), but you expect older castles to be ruinous or whimsical...
  35. ravensocks

Serial Killers

Interesting, thanks and to Maximus Otter too.
  36. ravensocks

Serial Killers

The DNA from a genealogy site is interesting. With the rise in interest, and usage, of these sites you'd expect more DNA links but I've not heard of any. Presumably the guilty party would steer clear, but relatives would show up. Do these sites share their samples with police? Is there a DNA...
  37. ravensocks

Continuing To Hear Noises After They've Stopped

You know when you've been on a ferry, and once you get back on dry land it sometimes still feels like you're at sea? I wonder if it is something similar, your body has adjusted to the noise and so tries to find it/counteract it? Probably not a very scientific or medical (or possible)...
  38. ravensocks

Horror Films

One of my favourites, creepy and quite nasty on a number of levels. Cracking film!
  39. ravensocks

TV Broadcasts From The Future & Phantom Websites

Don't know if it works on radios, but I've noticed that 2+ TVs are always slightly out of sync with each other. Having overlapping audios would drive me batty!
  40. ravensocks

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

I love shoplifting seagull stories. That's bound to be a genre. There's a few local seagull shoplifters near to where I live. Bless their wee thieving, enterprising hearts!
  41. ravensocks

Karen / Karens (Social Stereotype; 2020)

That's a shame, good for Dominoes for trying something light hearted and positive.
  42. ravensocks

Richard Stanley's Early Films (Hardware & Dust Devil)

I think I've mentioned this before, but Richard Stanley turns up as a mysterious figure in an odd film called 'That Deadwood Feeling'. A film about 3 hapless idiots who are trying to make a movie, when a murder mystery plot falls into their laps. Fantasy and reality merge as it all may or may...
  43. ravensocks

Can You Identify These Mystery Items? (Museum Objects; Devices; etc.)

Scooping out eyeballs! Ewwww :eek:o_O
  44. ravensocks

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

Yep! The joke being that Hyacinth would be the only one who wouldn't get it :)
  45. ravensocks

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

The mysterious Sheridan and his close friend Tarquin! I believe he was at uni studying needlecraft. I don't think she was disappointed by him, more he was embarrassed by her. I didnt sense any malice on Hyacinth's part, as she loved her son, but I was young when watching it so I could be wrong...
  46. ravensocks

Assumed-Natural Structures That Appear Man-Made

Giant made - obvs! https://www.finn-mccool.co.uk/irish-mythology/the-legend-of-finn-mccool/the-giants-causeway-finn-mccool/
  47. ravensocks

Mystery 'Spider' - Not!

It would be scary to find one of those in your shower! :eek:
  48. ravensocks

'Allo 'Allo Myth

This is officially the best thread on the entire forum!
  49. ravensocks

Body Odour & Hygiene Habits

Shower in a can! * * one of my friends used to call it. Stinker.
  50. ravensocks

Mind you, NI also had an interesting series of 'dont be a terrorist' adverts too. Not for the faint hearted...
Back