• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. N

Inside No. 9

I whizzed through this thread having never seen any "Inside No9". Rushed off an watched the live Halloween one and loved every unsettling moment. Figured out how to get into daughters Netflix account and watched the first two- what warped brilliance! Can't wait for weekend when family are...
  2. N

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Did I miss hear ( or imagine !) the name of the new born baby as being Avocado- named for the great Vegan as a compliment to the Earthling Douas?
  3. N

The Fallen Astronaut

Am I the only one a bit disappointed by this sculpture? it looks like silver painted lego man. The plaque is a nice, the idea of commemorating those who fell during the space race is good and this would seem an appropriate way to do that.
  4. N

Did I See A Ghost Nurse?

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/a-new-hope.64728/ Chin up Scribbles- there is a light in the tunnel
  5. N

Disease Mongering

is Chronic Lyme Disease a real thing or is it an example of the above - see next thread.
  6. N

Disease Mongering

ouch! The medication I have for dizzy spells and mild tinnitus has been improved, now has the added warning that it may cause tinnitus and slight nausea. So I have a choice between "woozy and a bit noisy" to "not woozy but nauseous and a lot of flipping crackling!"
  7. N

Disease Mongering

Getting back to the original post about big Pharma companies manipulating peoples perceptions of what is a disease - My kids introduced me to the "Big Bang Theory" where Bernadette is a microbiologist for a Pharmaceutical company She often mentions drugs they have created but are working...
  8. N

Ever Seen A Vampire?

reference the roof top perching- he was probably scoping a pond in someone's back garden. They are partial to koi as well as frogs. We see them regularly along the canal and river doing normal Heron stuff ( they are creepily quite) . despite the abundance of wild fodder there is often one on...
  9. N

Did I See A Ghost Nurse?

Scribbles, back in the 80's my school friend went to train as a nurse at one of the London hospitals ( may be something to do with freemasons?) and she had the most extraordinary headgear as well as a rather severe uniform. Headgear not as big and swooping as the one you have posted but it did...
  10. N

Did We Smoke Out A Time-Traveller?

ahh, knitwear models..................
  11. N

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

Escargots tale of historical trees disappearing and reappearing rings a bell, I am sure this was on local TV ( in the south west) about 8 years ago in connection with a recently published book about interesting & historical trees, the chap being interviewed said that some of the trees had...
  12. N

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Dick, I think this may be a Dartmoor thing. We are fairly frequent visitors , often there is a sense of something being slightly "out of wack" time wise and minor oddities are the norm. Nic
  13. N

When Did It Begin?

Hi, just passing through on way to lunch- Yes I think I am talking about an instinctive reaction, but sometimes is feels like a physical thing- almost like an unpleasantly damp fleece or pieces of greasy clingfilm separating you and the person/event from the rest of world. Now I have made it...
  14. N

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

Zebs phone box reminds me of the Bear at "Bear flat" in Bath. There is a pub called the Bear on Wells road leading out of Bath, It has a large polar bear over the porch. Ever since we have moved this is a regular route for us to and from the city, I have known Bath for years and can remember...
  15. N

When Did It Begin?

Hi Bloop, nice thread you have started. I really cannot describe or define my earliest experience, like many here I find that they are slippery to pin down and describe, particularly when you were a child. The more you try to focus on them the more difficult it is, even writing about them is an...
  16. N

British Bigfoot?

Just musing.........Some animals and plants emit light at wavelengths towards the ends of the spectrum visible too humans, is it possible that this is something similar? or even that they absorb some wavelengths and so appear really black to us?
  17. N

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Is that Avon form Blakes 7?
  18. N

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

We had a collective Mandela moment last night during quiz night in the pub, the question was about name of Beatles album. Half of those present confidently stated it was the "white album", a few opted for the "Blue album" and there were a couple of don't knows. The correct answer is Blue album...
  19. N

Appearance Of Jade Egg

this thread reminded me that I have a black onyx egg in my desk. Had it for years, cannot remember when I acquired it or who gave it to me. It's always been in with my office stuff , along with the tape measure, dalek paperclips etc. I fiddle with it when I am stressed or need distracting
  20. N

Reheating Rice

Jemima, you can get Vesta curry- Least ways I found one in the kitchen cupboard after BH went shopping. I think he found this treasure in £1 land (or somewhere similar). Apparently it was a childhood treat to have a Vesta. On keeping cooked rice- freeze it when cool and just plonk in hot water...
  21. N

Strange Falls & Rains Of Objects & Substances

I had an unnerving experience one sunny afternoon last year when walking my dog, a Bloody squirrel tail landed in front of us. No sign of bird or kids, middle of a quite country road Gave the dog a fright
  22. N

Uncanny Hearing: Impossible Electronic Tones Heard Close-By

Ermintruder, your account bought back a memory of a mildly puzzling episode last June. Early evening, its warm and windless as I walk across a field with dog, suddenly to my left I hear what sounds like 3 beeps of an old style digital watch. I don't have digital watch, nor have a phone with...
  23. N

Pennies From Heaven (Coins Falling Before You)

Not quite Pennies from Heaven, but close. I got my Weekender bag off the top of the wardrobe at the weekend for a short trip, whilst packing I found 7 $ US dollar bills folded into one of the pockets. These are greasy old bills, folded as if they have been in a back jeans pocket for some...
  24. N

Ribena / Blackcurrant Juice Tasting Like Old Socks

[ Could the variation in taste/smell/perception be due to the type of sweetener used? I dislike Ribena intensely, my husband likes the muck*. Some varieties are ranker than others (I too under to the ordeal of Ribena in the interests of of board.) I will admit that the standard sugar...
  25. N

Seeing Lightning Indoors

James, these are brilliant, Did you create them yoursef? I have been trying to explain/describe the first one for ages. The first two are exactly what my migraines are like. I now get the pain as well. I have realised that the visual disturbance and weird taste/smell thing are precursors for...
  26. N

Unidentified Fallen Debris

Well that was a speedy reply for a rather niche subject! The short answer is I was told by our guide that it was space junk. There is less military hardware lying around that most people expect, British stuff is mostly cleared up and either recycled, re-used or restored by enthusiasts. There...
  27. N

Unidentified Fallen Debris

Hi, I was recently in Stanley, West Falkland and was taken past a large piece of space junk which I believe to be part of the European communication satellite that broke up in 2013. I did not really get close enough for a picture as my companions were more interested in abandoned Argentinian...
  28. N

Visual Stress/ Irlens syndrome is it real?

Good morning, not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes. I have recently been involved in some discussion about the impact of Dyslexia on adults in the workplace. this has led to discussion about " Visual stress" its believe that this effects 40% of the population, I had not...
  29. N

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

We lived in Ohio from 1991 to 1994 . My sons loved the books and it was definitely Bernstein- unfamiliar name to us Brits so very memorable. A few years later back in Britain we came across these much loved characters as beer stain. I thought it was one of those inexplicable publishing changes...
  30. N

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Escargot, thank you for illumination ad to what wasps actually do. I have always refrained from harming them just in case they were useful. Incidentally eWe call them " jasper " which I think ties to the stripy jumper thing. I am currently in warmer climes ( Cyprus) for work enjoying a bit of...
  31. N

Crop Circles

After the splendor of the Anstey example I hesitate to ask if anyone saw the "Circle" beside the A36 Dual carriageway connecting the Bristol road and the Globe roundabout in Bath earlier this month? It was small and low in the wheat field on the out of town side, looked to be a Hydrogen...
  32. N

Stories Of People Living Different Lives Whilst Unconscious?

Mouldy, I too have recurring dreams that seem to take place in a specific location- usually they happen when i am unwell or excessivly tired. House seems to be a private lodging house or hotel, possibly in the West country near the sea- sometimes I can "smell" the sea and the light is like the...
  33. N

Classic Archive Merged: Pani(ic) In The Woods

MrTH, re-reading this has reminded me of a very odd morning I spent in the area near Jays Grave. This was one mid week morning in May probably 1994. To give the background, my family were in the UK for a short holiday fitted around a work activity of my husband and visiting a few relatives...
  34. N

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Hi Ulalume, Myself and several family members have the same problem with watches or battery powered devices near the body. Batteries in watches rarely last more than a month, phones die around midday no matter when you charge them. No idea what causes it but it gets worse if you are agitated or...
  35. N

My First "Person" Vardoger

Hi GNC, I should have responded sooner. Yes there was a study about pets and owners, I have been trying to find it to link to this. My dogs normal response to real (or imagined) threats outside the back door is to bounce up and down barking in a high pitched tone*, it's rare for him to greet in...
  36. N

My First "Person" Vardoger

Definite Vardoger event two weeks ago. I had a rare weekday off and was upstairs changing the sheets when I heard the very distinctive sound of my dog run throught the house into the kitchen ( sort of skittery, scratchy sliding noise) followed by a few wuffs and growls- his reaction to...
  37. N

Strange Coincidences?

A truely odd coincidence happened to me four years ago. My husband and I had previously won a weekend break in Anglesy for a family and for various reasons had to postpone taking it. We eventually set it up and took ourselves, 13 year old daughter and her pal off for a long week end. It was...
  38. N

Strange Things As Food & Drink

GNC, Humans are omnivores- we can eat at range of things, look at the teeth. On a more pragmatic level, are insects that different to seafood? Prawns do look a lot like woodlice and are a lot easier to catch. Please excuse spelling etc, been a long week with heavy cold and wine.
Back