• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

And it was very good.
‘He who controls the past, controls the future’.
~ Orson Welles.

Somewhere, the ghost of George Orwell is instructing lawyers:

'Who controls the past,' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'

Nineteen Eighty-Four

maximus otter

Somewhere, the ghost of George Orwell is instructing lawyers:

'Who controls the past,' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'

Nineteen Eighty-Four

maximus otter

That was the point of the episode. When Fox corrected the protagonist saying, 'That was George Orwell', he replied, 'For now'.

I'm not sure these count, but:

a) There is a bear on the Toblerone packaging.
b) The FedEx company logo features an arrow.

Would you instinctively agree?

a] no idea. seems unlikely - bear,chocolate, why?
b] yes
Likewise, but I haven't checked. If you asked me what the Toblerone logo was, then I'd probably go for something mountainous. Like a mountain, maybe.

Isn't the FedEx arrow "hidden" between 2 letters? Again, I haven't cheated, I promise.

Likewise, but I haven't checked. If you asked me what the Toblerone logo was, then I'd probably go for something mountainous. Like a mountain, maybe.

Isn't the FedEx arrow "hidden" between 2 letters? Again, I haven't cheated, I promise.

There's a bear on the mountain--it isn't obvious, but it's clearly there.

I never noticed the FedEx arrow, but--again--once you see it you cannot unsee it.

There's a bear on the mountain--it isn't obvious, but it's clearly there.

I never noticed the FedEx arrow, but--again--once you see it you cannot unsee it.
I saw a great list of these online somewhere - The Fed Ex arrow, the "Amazon A to Z arrow/smile", the Toblerone Bear, the Pepsi "Sex" logo, 31 flavours in Baskin Robins etc etc

One of my favourites is Hersheys Kisses - Spot the hidden chocolate kiss.

Here's one. I could have sworn that the ashes (or even body) of the late Diana Dors had been interred in the garden of her and husband's Alan Lake's house and that after his suicide, the remains were quietly removed and buried in a cemetery.

This was in the mid-80s when Dors was still considered a big star and her loss had been keenly felt, as they say.

However, I've just read that she was buried in a churchyard right away. What was I thinking?

We had a collective Mandela moment last night during quiz night in the pub, the question was about name of Beatles album. Half of those present confidently stated it was the "white album", a few opted for the "Blue album" and there were a couple of don't knows.

The correct answer is Blue album, all these years the majority have been wrong!

Wasn't the album simply called The Beatles, with the lack of artwork giving rise to the nickname?

At least for US releases ...

Yes. 'Blue Album' was a similar popular label for the early 1970's compilation album of later material (late 60's to the end).

Wasn't the album simply called The Beatles, with the lack of artwork giving rise to the nickname?

Yes, what is popularly referred to as The White Album is called The Beatles. What is popularly referred to as The Blue Album is a compilation called 1967-1970.

Here's one. I could have sworn that the ashes (or even body) of the late Diana Dors had been interred in the garden of her and husband's Alan Lake's house and that after his suicide, the remains were quietly removed and buried in a cemetery.

This was in the mid-80s when Dors was still considered a big star and her loss had been keenly felt, as they say.

However, I've just read that she was buried in a churchyard right away. What was I thinking?
Is there any chance you'd somehow conflated Diana Dors and Diana Spencer (as was)? There is apparently a conspiracy theory that the latter is not actually in the mausoleum at the family stately pile, and is in fact in the church where it was apparently initially intended she should be buried.

We had a collective Mandela moment last night during quiz night in the pub, the question was about name of Beatles album. Half of those present confidently stated it was the "white album", a few opted for the "Blue album" and there were a couple of don't knows.

The correct answer is Blue album, all these years the majority have been wrong!
Gawd, that sounds like a quiz strewn with possible arguments!

As others have pointed out, there was The Beatles LP in 1968 (AKA the White Album); The Beatles 1967-70, originally a double LP in a blue sleeve on blue vinyl (a fantastic album); and The Beatles 1963-1966, originally a double LP in a red sleeve on red vinyl (I prefer the single LP 'A Collection of Beatles Oldies'). And while The Beatles 1968 was/is commonly know as the White Album, I've never heard the name 'Blue Album' used, and I'm a huge Beatles fan. Hope that helps!! Or not. What exactly was the question?

Is there any chance you'd somehow conflated Diana Dors and Diana Spencer (as was)? There is apparently a conspiracy theory that the latter is not actually in the mausoleum at the family stately pile, and is in fact in the church where it was apparently initially intended she should be buried.

I have definitely not mixed up the two Dianas. They died some time apart and I was well aware of both their deaths when they happened.

It's just a brain-fart!

Anyone mentioned the spelling of a UK confectionary made by Mars yet? Come in a red bag and are small, round chocolate balls filled with a malt flavoured, crispy centre. What are they called agin? Are you sure?

Anyone mentioned the spelling of a UK confectionary made by Mars yet? Come in a red bag and are small, round chocolate balls filled with a malt flavoured, crispy centre. What are they called agin? Are you sure?

Which continues to confuse many because in a box of celebrations it's a Maltesers 'Teaser' and a Easter you get the 'Malteaster' Bunny.

Which continues to confuse many because in a box of celebrations it's a Maltesers 'Teaser' and a Easter you get the 'Malteaster' Bunny.

My youngest owned a teeshirt with a Maltesers-style logo that read 'Manteaser'. She was living abroad at the time so the joke may have been lost, possibly for the best.

I've just found another Mandela effect. I looked up the spelling of sentance to check I was getting it the right way round with sentence and found only this thread on another forum.

http://intelligentanswers.co.uk/index.php?topic=6095.0

When I was at school I was taught that 'sentence', as in a group of words, was spelled with an e but a prison sentance was spelled with an a.

A few other people on the same thread think the same thing. I don't have any specific memory of being taught it at school but I do seem to think it is actually the other way round! Now I find that not only does the word "sentance" not exist but that if it did, I had it wrong anyway! :crazy:

A few other people on the same thread think the same thing. I don't have any specific memory of being taught it at school but I do seem to think it is actually the other way round! Now I find that not only does the word "sentance" not exist but that if it did, I had it wrong anyway! :crazy:

Some teachers can't spell but react very indignantly when students point that out to them. Source: I was a student once.

I've just found another Mandela effect. I looked up the spelling of sentance to check I was getting it the right way round with sentence and found only this thread on another forum.

http://intelligentanswers.co.uk/index.php?topic=6095.0

We must have originated in different parallel universes - I've never seen or heard of "sentance" used anywhere!

Back