• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

Was watching Have I Got A Bit More News For You, and apparently the controversy of Blue Riband chocolate biscuits no longer being made in the UK because of Brexit was overshadowed by the controversy of people believing the comestible was called Blue Ribbon for the past 80-odd years, in spite of it clearly saying "Blue Riband" on the wrapper all that time.

For years I genuinely believed this to be the case. But I inherited that because it's what my Mum called them.

The A Team van being silver at the top blows my mind. It absolutely was not silver at the top in the 1980s!

The A-Team is currently being shown on one of my multi-shite channels. I watched it the other night (purely for research purposes, of course). The van is indeed, dark grey at the top, not black. In some lights, however, it would be easy to see why people remember it as all black.

I seem to be generating my own Mandela effect.

I borrowed a pair of trousers from youngest daughter and was telling her that I had. She said 'which ones?' I told her the orange swirly pair. She looked puzzled and said she had never possessed such a pair, did I mean the purple ones? No, I meant the swirly orange ones.

Until I looked at them the following day. They were purple. No orange swirls to be seen. But I could have sworn...

And then explaining an outfit I was preparing to wear to an evening do, I was trying to describe it as 'black with gold sequinny shapes on it'. It's not. It's black. All black. The sequinny things are black too.

Mandela effect in my wardrobe? Or do I just have a shit memory for clothes? (I've owned the black dress for years and worn it many times....)

Memory's playing tricks...

84fcdf36.jpg.757x975_q85.jpg

I had a Kojak toy car with a guy hanging out the back window with a gun.
Got it for christmas in the middle of the 70s I think. And here it is! Photo from the internet.

View attachment 8456

Growing up in the frozen wastes of the North East of England, I once encountered a sign put out by someone with a keen eye for a marketing opportunity attempting to cash in on the Kojak wave but little sense of relevance, or indeed spelling. It read ‘Cochy Cochy Bab Pony Rids’.

I carried on walking.

The Beatles - "What would you *blank* if I sang out of tune?" .. (and threepio never had a silver leg!)

Easily explained by the most famous cover version changing the line and a subsequent verse of the original starting 'What do you do,..."

Makes sense .. and we were pump fed Cocker's cover version as the intro song for The Wonder Years .. although I swear the leading kid never had brown hair but has always been blonde ! (just joking) ..

...but The Pfeiff is still played by Marilyn Manson in this timeline, correct?

(*worried*)
They'd mostly have us believe that Pfeiff is played by a Josh Saviano....

So saying, I find almost no-one remembers Bowie first singing Drummer Boy with Bill Cosby, a lot of people insisting it was only ever Bing Crosby (presumably after he split with Stills & Nash, following the release of 'Moon River')

They'd mostly have us believe that Pfeiff is played by a Josh Saviano....

So saying, I find almost no-one remembers Bowie first singing Drummer Boy with Bill Cosby, a lot of people insisting it was only ever Bing Crosby (presumably after he split with Stills & Nash, following the release of 'Moon River')

Surprising as the video is shown on a loop on all music channels in the run up to Christmas...

Perhaps one day in the future, we will be talking about the day professor Stephen Hawking died, and we will be ridiculed as he is alive and (relatively) well. I don't say this I jest either. Even then, we will have absolutely no way of proving this is a case of the Mandela Effect.

One day in the future, a few people will say 'wasn't there once a concept called the Mandela Effect - I seem to dimly recall' and the majority will say 'nah, there never was - look it up on WikiGoogle'.

I'm having my own personal Mandela Effect on the FTMB…

@Ermintruder - has your name always been Ermintruder? I only just noticed the context-changing 'r' on the end of your username. Please tell me that is a recent change and I haven't slipped through from my alternate universe where your username is just simple Ermintrude.

One day in the future, a few people will say 'wasn't there once a concept called the Mandela Effect - I seem to dimly recall' and the majority will say 'nah, there never was - look it up on WikiGoogle'.

They will be getting it confused with the Biko Effect. The false memory that former South African President Steve Biko was assassinated in the 1970s.

Just seen the comedy duo, Little and Large on Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway. I really thought Eddie Large had died some time back. Not saying I think this is an example of a Mandela Effect though.
I once was absolutely convinced Russ Abbott had died, I remembered seeing it on the news but of course, he is still around. Maybe there should be a sub catagory for comedians.

Just seen the comedy duo, Little and Large on Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway. I really thought Eddie Large had died some time back. Not saying I think this is an example of a Mandela Effect though.
Did they appear together? I thought Sid had retired, because they had a falling out.

I once was absolutely convinced Russ Abbott had died, I remembered seeing it on the news but of course, he is still around. Maybe there should be a sub catagory for comedians.
Bella Emberg, Russ's associate, died recently.

I'm having my own personal Mandela Effect on the FTMB…

@Ermintruder - has your name always been Ermintruder? I only just noticed the context-changing 'r' on the end of your username. Please tell me that is a recent change and I haven't slipped through from my alternate universe where your username is just simple Ermintrude.

Umm....it was always originally intended to be Ermintruder but, initially, it was mis-spelt, due to phonofanatic fiddle-faddle.

It's always been there, but for most of the time it's been written in white pixels, which is the modern equivalent of invisible ink. So most people didn't notice.

If you'd ever done a full copy/paste of the raw HTML, or if you've been reading the forum via a legacy browser such as Pine, it'd come as no surprise. Or Netscape Navigator without the Java plug-ins.

But: if you'd ever been looking at your monitor or smartphone whilst wearing proper Polaroid sunglasses, or, ever taken a brass-rubbing of the screen with a crayon held sideways, you'd've seen it straightaway.

Plus, 'The Intruder' is what I always refer to myself as, when talking in the fourth person.

Anyway, I blame the Tories.

Are you related to the Milka cow?

Are you related to the Milka cow?
Curiously-enough, no. I was oblivious to the existence of such a brand ambassador. My avatar is a respectful bow to cow-dom in general, and to the devine bovine who magicked themself into my life roundabout the 1960s & 70s.

But in reality, I'm not really a cow: I'm a human being. And although I've always been here, I'm a bit of an intruder, as well.

As well as being a PODAGO. You're a bit of a PODAGO, maybe?

EDIT....wait...What happened to my sig-file under each post? Is it still there, but I just can't see it?? The tables have been turned, the trickster has been trixed...!

Last edited:
I think the Mandela effect explanation is fairly straightforward. Humans' memories are extremely fallible; we often don't fully pay attention; even when we do pay full attention, we fill in blanks or see what we expect to see and vice versa. Many psychological experiments have shown this to be the case (e.g. the basketball players and the gorilla).

It is well established that Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca and that William Shatner never said "Beam me up, Scotty" in Star Trek, yet try telling that to a group of people. Few will believe you.
Then again, maybe I'm from a parallel universe. :actw:

It is well established that Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca and that William Shatner never said "Beam me up, Scotty" in Star Trek, yet try telling that to a group of people. Few will believe you.
Then again, maybe I'm from a parallel universe. :actw:

And similarly, Carl Sagan never actually said "billions and billions." :)

Back