• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. S

The Thread Of Sherlock Holmes

Some of us just enjoy admiring Benedict Cumberbatch from as many different angles as possible. For as long as possible.
  2. S

Or she's simply been shown a picture of Sherlock by her kidnappers and told that he'll get her if she tells the police anything? I don't know why people have leapt to wild conclusions involving masks, clones and doppelgangers. I have no coherent alternative theory to all this mind. Just...
  3. S

Glad to know I'm not the only one wearing out the pause button on the sky remote! However, I think this of one of those things that the more you look at it and the more possible clues you find, the more obscure things start to seem! [SPOILERS] I agree that Moriarty/Sherlock...
  4. S

This is a bit of a long shot and would be pretty messy to pull off but something about the way the 'death' scene was set up suggests that Watson may be looking at a different building to the one Sherlock is actually standing on. In other words it's a case of literal misdirection.
  5. S

Morgellons: Mystery Illness Or Delusional Parasitosis?

A small-scale study of people who believe they have Morgellons shows, you know, that they don't. LA Times (via gawker.com) But as one of the comments underneath the article points out, the article doesn't mention whether the issue of the 'fibres' patients claim to find growing out of...
  6. S

Morgellons: Mystery Illness Or Delusional Parasitosis?

Fairly long piece in The Guardian about morgellons.
  7. S

Sarah Palin Baby Hoax?

That guardian article is astonishingly stupid. As far as I understand it, the loudest proponent of this CT has been Andrew Sullivan who, you know, not a 'liberal' and who has repeatedly challenged Palin's political legitimacy not on the grounds that she is a vagina owner, but on the grounds...
  8. S

Obama 'Birtherism' & Associated Conspiracy Theories

And as someone pointed out on twitter, if he was born in 1961, how come his birth certificate is in pdf form? :lol:
  9. S

Sarah Palin Baby Hoax?

Some of the key points Some of the supposed evidence of a fraud/hoax seems a little weak IMO, but she certainly doesn't look particularly pregnant in the photos accompanying the article. But then, not all women show particularly (strangely enough Palin parodier Tina Fey recently announced a...
  10. S

That Seventies Man..

Yeah. I have to say that if I saw someone dressed in 70s style clothes near a roundabout I wouldn't think it especially strange. I'd be more likely to assume I was witnessing a lone reveler wending their way home from one of MKs many crappy nightclubs than ascribe some weird significance to it.
  11. S

The BBC & Television Licensing Propaganda

A recent issue of the Radio Times featured a short q&a with the 'Head of Revenue Management, BBC' in which a reader asked "Do you really have a fleet of detector vans?" The answer given was So, in other words some bloke rocks up to an address that's flagged as unlicensed and looks for a...
  12. S

Family Nicknames

I love how many of these nicknames come from children's mispronunciations. My grandad is known as Daddits because as a toddler I had trouble with that well known tongue twister, grandad. He's been Daddits to me and my siblings ever since. There was a brief attempt to start calling him grandad...
  13. S

Britain: Police State?

Ha ha! Perhaps one of the security staff had seen it too and guessed what he was up to. It's all starting to make a bit more sense now!
  14. S

Perhaps the man murdered his wife by writing The Killers on a piece of paper before handing it to her secretly, causing a massive squeaky demon to turn up and set her on fire. :)
  15. S

ID Cards / Identification Cards

The government may well be trying to peddle a new, less fear-mongering, more patronising argument in favour of the introduction of ID cards; the 'won't someone think of the under-privileged?' gambit. There's an interesting discussion of this at the Liberal Conspiracy blog. Liberal Conspiracy
  16. S

Definitely one for the WTF? files. A more reasonable and understanding fella than I that's for sure. The Independent
  17. S

The Urge to Laugh at Inappropriate Times.

I suffer from an unfortunate family trait on my mum's side where our near automatic response to someone hurting themselves is to dissolve into hysterical laughter. My dad once walked into a patio door he thought was opened and it took a full 30 minutes before anyone else in the room was calm...
  18. S

LINK Via Boing Boing
  19. S

Rappers Rule The World

Article Link Do click over to the article to see the pictures that accompany the article, if only to marvel at the ridiculous fashion stylings of Lady Gaga, who apparently attended the award ceremony dressed as a period.
  20. S

The 'Wrapped In Cotton Wool' Experiment

Last year one of the BBC's Horizon episodes covered sensory deprivation and it's effects on the human brain. It was pretty fascinating. A group of volunteers were split in half. Half the volunteers were covered in padding, blind-folded and plugged into headphones which played endless white noise...
  21. S

Kids Today

Whenever I read one of these "OMG the kids are idiots" stories I always think that at least some of the erroneous answers were given on purpose. It was the kind of dickhead I did when I was young. I filled out an entire technology GCSE paper with what I thought to be hilariously witty answers...
  22. S

"It happened to me"

It means "quasi-corporeal companion". An imaginary friend in layman's terms.
  23. S

Ghosts in the Machine (history of the supernatural on UK TV)

"Beware of a man called Jim wearing a green hat". I'd never heard of Doris Stokes before. The footage of her was hilarious. Awesome stuff. A pretty good documentary. It was good to see the Beeb acknowledge Ghostwatch as the fantastic piece of telly and which, I'm not a bit ashamed to...
  24. S

'Balloon Boy' (2009; Colorado: Runaway Balloon; Hoax?)

A hoax is maybe looking more likely. Depends how much store you put in folk who give exclusive interviews to internet gossip sites I suppose. It's an interesting story nonetheless, particularly in the area of some of Heene's more esoteric beliefs. From Gawker.com etc etc. The main points are
  25. S

Andrew Kadir-Buxton

You can then use The Buxton Handclap Method (comment right at the bottom) to deliver your lemonade-free babies. The mind fairly boggles.
  26. S

'Balloon Boy' (2009; Colorado: Runaway Balloon; Hoax?)

Caught the tail end of a piece about this on channel 4 news tonight. They showed the video of the family being interviewed on some US show where little Falcon (what a name) appears to let it slip that it was all a hoax. Now, the look on his dad's face at that precise moment speaks volumes. He...
  27. S

Down with Literature!

To paraphrase Stewart Lee, that's because he's a grown man. :)
  28. S

Kids Today

My mum is a primary school teacher in a school that has over the last 5 years or so slowly become a dumping ground for kids with behavioural and emotional problems, along with a sizeable population of kids whose parents just don't give a toss. Some of the abuse, both verbal and physical (and, on...
  29. S

Kids Today

Another perceptive article about the growing gulf between children and adults. The Guardian
  30. S

Now this might not be strictly speaking, a supporting example of a burgeoning 'police state', but I think it is an example of a grossly over-regulated state, where the government and it's various agencies unjustly interfere in our private lives. I often think that it's this kind of ridiculous...
  31. S

Derren Brown: Master Mind-Manipulator

You might be right about that. I hadn't been watching the show properly before the film at the end, what with keeping one eye on the internet and that, although I still caught a few of the 'subliminal' flashes. My partner saw all the images, is of the opinion that there was something written on...
  32. S

I watched the film again today with my partner and found myself stuck again. I had been hoping it was a one-off thing yesterday (I was pretty tired, and I'd only been half-watching the programme) but, nope. Stuck. I had to slide myself forward until I ran out of sofa and fell on the floor. Very...
  33. S

To my great surprise, I got stuck. It took around 2 minutes for me to get out of my seat. It's really hard to explain what it felt like, because mostly it really felt like, well, nothing. My legs felt heavy, but not really, and I felt as though I had no energy in my arms and was totally...
  34. S

Neurological Terrorism

What is 'Ventriloquial Terrorism' and when can I learn it! It sounds pretty awesome!
  35. S

The Guardian
  36. S

Neurological Terrorism

It's quite something isn't it? Of course Fluff hasn't been acting alone. Nicholas Witchell's in on it as well. And Clive Anderson obviously.:shock: A few years ago, I used to work for a crappy internet company and we received fairly regular correspondence from a man who had a similarly...
  37. S

Neurological Terrorism

It's also a bit like this guy. That's some persecution complex!
  38. S

Steorn & Claims of Free Energy

Just ran across this on Boing Boing Boing Boing Link
  39. S

Ooh-Err... Nasty House

There could always be an 'environmental' explanation. I've mentioned this on here before, but my family home growing up had a horrible atmosphere and I never liked to be on my own there. There was always a sense that you were not quite alone, that you were being watched. So much so in fact that...
  40. S

Missing news story

I highly recommend the book Flat Earth News by journalist Nick Davies. He makes a pretty good case that the news works in more or less exactly the way you describe. As with most things in life, the root cause is the pursuit of money rather than conspiracy or ideological conviction on the part of...
  41. S

I guess this puts the kibosh on us keeping our dna to ourselves. The Telegraph
  42. S

Rappers Rule The World

This doesn't appear to be a particularly new CT but it seems to be gaining sudden popularity (round my way at least). Something to do with Dan Brown's latest movie excrapaganza no doubt. Jay-Z is an agent of the Illuminati Apparently artists such as Jay-Z and Rhiana are puppets of the...
  43. S

Who's Watching You?
  44. S

Where the hell did this spring from? Cause I'm pretty fupping sure this nasty piece of illiberal bs was being put on the back burner. LINK
  45. S

LINK
  46. S

As suggested by one blogger here this proposal may simply be a way of normalising the carrying of id in order to access public transport, an internal passport as it were, with this eventually become mandatory across the country. A neat little way of getting us all to obtain these supposedly...
  47. S

Whilst we're on a good news tip (sorta), it looks as though Bailiffs aren't going to be legally allowed to kick our front doors down or work on our kidneys in the pursuit of credit card debt. Until 2012. LINK BBC ARTICLE
  48. S

The Future Of Lie Detection (Theories; Techniques; Etc.)

I was certain there was a thread specifically about this particular issue, but I'll be buggered if I can find it. Anyway, there is currently a fair bit of interest in the area of 'Voice Stress Analysis' (lie detecting to you and me) because the government, with their fixation on modernising...
  49. S

Angry customer with orange card. Any ideas?

The muttering to herself afterwards might indicate she was simply a little bit mentally poorly. I used to work in a record store which had a regular 'customer' who carried a wallet full of blank pieces of cards which he clearly believed should have some significance for us. No one was quite...
Back