• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Obama 'Birtherism' & Associated Conspiracy Theories

OldTimeRadio said:
Spookdaddy said:
Don't tell me - he's an otter. Barack Hussein Obama is an otter: a Muslim, drug addicted, male prostituting, tax evading, Kenyan bog otter.

I have no udea. I merely reported (accurately) what I heard reported on local (Cincinnati) TV news.

I wasn't having a pop at you, OTR - I appreciate that you are the conduit and not the source. It just strikes me that the whole subject long ago reached a point where it has become utterly indistinguishable from parody. It was the word 'stunned' that got to me - I mean, what else can they say about Obama that someone, somewhere, hasn't already said? Apart from the fact that he's an otter, that is.

I think this subject is on an unprovable truth level, along with, for instance, the assassination of JFK and the identity of Jack the Ripper: that is, that even if evidence were to come to light of a significance and irrefutability which for any other subject would suffice to close the matter once and for all, in this case it would remain insignificant for a very considerable proportion of those interested in the matter. And this is, I think, one of the ironies of the subject - in that, in clamouring for counter-evidence the Birthers are not actually asking for information to counter their argument, they are asking for fuel to stoke it - the two are one.

I agree. Even to have the idea that Obama's not a US citizen bandied about serves the purposes of those who want to get rid of him. I imagine that this would still be the case to some elements even if Obama was called John Smith (or something similarly average).

Row grows over Obama's birth certificate
The right-wing 'birthers', convinced the President was not born in the US and is therefore ineligible to govern, are gaining strength
By Guy Adams in Los Angeles
Sunday, 24 April 2011

Forget about "Change we can believe in", "Yes, America can" and other heart-warming slogans of your average presidential election. The catchphrase being shouted loudest in the early skirmishes of the 2012 race consists of four angry words: "Where's the birth certificate?"

The single most debated issue among Republicans seeking to select their next candidate is not the economy, healthcare or the three wars that the nation is currently fighting. Instead, they are noisily debating the question of whether Barack Obama was actually born in Hawaii. This even though the President's name appears on government birth records for that state.

"Birthers", or people who believe the President was not born in the US, making him constitutionally ineligible to govern, nonetheless have in a few short years emerged from the fringes of far-right politics into the limelight of the mainstream. Today, they represent roughly 50 per cent of registered Republican supporters, according to several recent polls, and about a quarter of the entire US population. The suspicion for many is that Obama may have been born in Kenya, his father's country, or Indonesia, where he spent some childhood years.

Yesterday, the Associated Press reported that only an AP journalist and one other person has tried to access Obama's birth records this month. The only publicly available documents in the Department of Health building show a listing for a boy named Barack Hussein Obama II, born in Hawaii in 1961.

The full certificate, or so called "long form certificate", is locked away by privacy laws. But Dr Chiyome Fukino, the former health director, confirmed its existence. Even so, the birthers are marching towards the mainstream and last week a book entitled Where's the Birth Certificate? was briefly propelled to number one on Amazon's US sales chart. It won't even be released until the middle of May, but, last night, it was holding steady at number two. Its author, Jerome Corsi, claims the book will reveal how crucial details about the President's birth cannot be verified because of "missing records" in Hawaii, Kenya and Indonesia. "It's utterly devastating," he said. "Obama may learn things he didn't even know about himself."

Intrigue surrounding the issue threatens to have a huge knock-on effect on the coming primary season. A poll released last week revealed only 26 per cent of Republican supporters in Iowa, one of the first and therefore most strategically important states to select presidential candidates, now believe that Barack Obama is a natural-born citizen. Cashing in on their appetite for scepticism is the property tycoon Donald Trump. After declaring himself interested in exploring a presidential bid several weeks ago, he toured news studios announcing his conversion to the "birther" cause. Within days, he was second favourite to win the Republican nomination.

The President has always claimed to have been born in Hawaii in 1961, when his mother was studying in Honolulu. His birth was announced in two local newspapers, copies of which exist on microfilm. A certificate of live birth, from the hospital at which he was born, was released by his campaign office in 2008.

That holds little weight with "birthers", however. They insist that only a full-form version of the President's birth certificate will prove him to be a "real" American. For reasons that President Obama has yet to elaborate upon, such a document has not entered the public domain.

Some Democrats now wonder if Mr Obama is deliberately withholding the certificate so as to make sure the "birther" debate continues to overshadow Republican politics. That may indeed be the case. But he could be playing with fire. Mr Corsi wrote the 2004 book Unfit for Command, which brought to public attention the so-called Swift Boat Veterans, who claimed that the then Democrat candidate John Kerry had embellished his war record. While the majority of their claims were found to have been fabricated, Kerry was rejected at the ballot box in favour of George W Bush.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 74079.html

"Some Democrats now wonder if Mr Obama is deliberately withholding the certificate so as to make sure the "birther" debate continues to overshadow Republican politics. That may indeed be the case"

Actually not - they wouldn't release it even if he asked. All they can legally release is the short form they already have.

Still waiting for actual evidence he was born somewhere else?

The "Birther" movement has just picked up another high-profile adherent. First Donald Trump, now the Rev. Franklin Graham, son and theological heir of Billy.

Obama has released the long-form certificate, but you can bet your life this won't stop the conspiracy loons:

Obama releases 'long form' birth certificate

The White House has released President Barack Obama's birth certificate, in response to persistent rumours he was not born in the US.

Mr Obama had previously released an official "certification of live birth" showing he was born in Hawaii.

But fringe "birther" theorists have insisted Mr Obama was actually born in his father's native Kenya, making him ineligible to be president.

Recently potential Republican candidate Donald Trump has revived the rumour.

On Wednesday, the White House made what was seen as an unprecented move - handing out photocopies of a sitting president's birth document.

"The president believed the distraction over his birth certificate wasn't good for the country," White House spokesman Dan Pfeiffer said in a statement.

"It may have been good politics and good TV, but it was bad for the American people and distracting from the many challenges we face as a country."

Mr Obama was scheduled to make a statement at 0945 local time (1345 GMT).

The release of Mr Obama's long form birth certificate, which had been stored in a vault in Hawaii since his birth in August 1961, comes after years of speculation among conspiracy-minded conservatives.

The "birther" conspiracy held that Mr Obama was born in Kenya or in Indonesia, where he lived as a child, or that the birth certificate revealed other unwholesome information about the president.

During the 2008 presidential campaign Mr Obama released a computer print-out of the birth certificate information that is recognised as an official record of his birth, and Hawaiian public health officials vouched for its authenticity.

But the move did little to quell the birthers, even as most mainstream Republicans have sought to quash the movement, calling it a distraction from substantive policy disagreements.

On Wednesday, the White House released copies of the original birth certificate, with a stamp indicating it was received from Hawaiian officials on Monday.

It shows Barack Hussein Obama II was born 4 August 1961 at Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital in Honolulu, to Barack Hussein Obama, a 25-year-old student, and Stanley Ann Dunham, 18, and includes the signature of the attending physician.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13212230

Well obviously it's forgery! He's had the time, and he has the resources, to make it look authentic..! (Cont.p.92) ;)

rynner2 said:
Well obviously it's forgery! He's had the time, and he has the resources, to make it look authentic..! (Cont.p.92) ;)

And as someone pointed out on twitter, if he was born in 1961, how come his birth certificate is in pdf form? :lol:

Obama's Mum is called Stanley?
Another victim of the US obsession with giving boy-names to girls.

An update:

Some poster on Fox News site points out the name of the hospital on the certificate is not correct. The hospital did not get the name Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital until 1978. The hospital originally had the name Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital until 1978.

“Hate to bring this up, but I just checked the official web site for Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital and according to the information there, the name of the hospital at the time of his birth should have been Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital. According to the web site the name didn’t change to Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital until Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital merged with Kapi‘olani Maternity Home in 1978. So how could his official long form birth certificate that was generated in 1961 have the name of the hospital that wasn’t created until 1978?”

The conspiracy web sites claims this was posted on a foxnews website, but I can't find it.

Godlikeproductions - Obama's Birth Certificate Debunked Already ***Proof***

SameOldVardoger said:
Some poster on Fox News site points out the name of the hospital on the certitifcate is not correct. The hospital did not get the name Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital until 1978. The hospital originally had the name Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital until 1978.
See! I said it was a forgery! :madeyes:

Isn't this the long form certificate that nobody, not even the President, could release to the public without breaking Hawaii's laws?

So the President has decided the laws of the United States (or at least one of the States) don't apply to him?

IMPEACH HIM!!!!

This one is never going away. He doesn't release it, he's hiding the truth, he releases it, it's faked. He releases it after a long time, he's weak and caving to the opposition.

And now I want to debunk the hospital name conspiracy:
As seen on this web page, they did use the name Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital in 1961 !!

SameOldVardoger said:
As seen on this web page, they did use the name Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital in 1961 !!

Obviously they changed to webpage to suite the president's newly doctored BC! If you want to read from some people who truly feel this way, read here:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-new ... =1&;page=1

Barack Obama releases birth certificate in extraordinary 'birther’ intervention
President Barack Obama has made an extraordinary intervention to silence “birther” conspiracy theorists, releasing a copy of his original birth certificate which shows definitively that he was born in Hawaii.
By Nick Allen, and Jon Swaine 7:02PM BST 27 Apr 2011

Mr Obama condemned the long running row over his place of birth as “silliness” and a “sideshow,” and said the United States had more serious “monumental issues” to deal with such as the national debt, education and petrol prices.
He described those who have peddled the myth that he was not born in the US as “carnival barkers.” Mr Obama did not identify those opponents by name but appeared to be referring to Donald Trump, the would-be Republican presidential candidate and property tycoon.

Mr Trump and the so-called “birthers” had suggested Mr Obama was born in his father’s native Kenya. That would make him ineligible to serve as the US Constitution specifies presidents must be “natural born” citizens.

Showing the prominence the issue had gained Mr Obama addressed the nation from a podium at the White House, with television networks breaking into their regular schedules to broadcast his remarks.
He said: “Yes, in fact, I was born in Hawaii, August 4, 1961, in Kapiolani Hospital. Over the last two-and-a-half years I have watched with bemusement, I have been puzzled, to the degree to which this thing just kept growing.

“I know that there is going to be a segment of people for which, no matter what I put out, this issue will not be put to rest. But I’m speaking to the vast majority of the American people.
“We do not have time for this kind of silliness we’ve got better stuff to do. I’ve got better stuff to do. We have got big problems to solve. And I’m confident we can solve them but we’re going to have to focus on them, not on this.”

Mr Trump immediately took credit for the release of the birth ceritifate, and even suggested he wanted to see it before accepting it was genuine.
Speaking in New Hampshire, where one of the key 2012 presidential primary races takes place, he said: “I want to look at it, but I hope it’s true so we can get on to much more important matters. He should have done it a long time ago. I am really honoured to play such a big role in hopefully, hopefully getting rid of this issue.” :roll:

Other Republicans criticised Mr Obama for raising the issue in the first place. Mitt Romney, a front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, said; “What President Obama should really be releasing is a jobs plan.”
Mr Obama faced some criticism for having taken so long to release the certificate, allowing the conspiracy theory to take hold. Mr Trump’s repeated recent comments had brought a fringe conspiracy theory into the mainstream.
It was regularly being debated on US television networks and threatened to become a major focus of the 2012 campaign. A recent poll found 47 per cent of Republicans believed Mr Obama was born outside the US.

The White House had been reluctant to engage with the “birthers” but eventually decided to call Mr Trump’s bluff after the issue started to overshadow America’s budget problems.

The origin of the conspiracy theory goes back to 2004 when false rumours about Mr Obama’s background surfaced in Illinois, where he was a state senator.
Later, an anonymous email circulated by supporters of Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination in 2008, suggested he had been born in Kenya.

Before he was elected President Mr Obama released a computer print out “short form” birth certificate, which is the standard form released by the state of Hawaii.
The director of the Hawaii health department stated she had seen the full certificate, which is kept in a vault. Birth records in two local newspapers from the time were also found.
However, a growing band of critics suggested the full “long form” certificate must contain information Mr Obama wanted to hide.

That certificate, which has now been released, contains some additional information including that the president was born at Kapiolani Maternity and Gynaecological Hospital in Honolulu.
It shows Barack Hussein Obama II was born at 7.24pm on Aug 4, 1961 and is signed by the delivery doctor, his mother and the local registrar.
His mother, then 18, signed her name Ann Dunham Obama of 6085 Kalanianaole Highway, Honolulu.

The certificate shows his father Barack Hussein Obama, 25, was African and born in Kenya and his mother was Caucasian and born in Wichita, Kansas. There is no mention of religion.

The White House also released a letter faxed to the Hawaii Department of Health by the president, on April 22, 2011, formally requesting two certified copies of the original “long form” birth certificate containing two pages.
The president dispatched his personal lawyer, Judith Corley, to Hawaii to pick up the documents and carry them back to Washington by plane.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ntion.html

End of story - close the thread! ;)

Of course, if enough birthers continue to describe this new certificate as a forgery, it puts Trump in an awkward position: having bragged about his part in forcing Obama to produce the certificate, he can hardly then turn round and say, "Yeah, actually I think it's a fake too", without appearing to swing like a weather vane whenever the wind changes. :twisted:

With that "hair" Trump would do best to avoid the wind altogether.

Things are desperate if anyone considers this ludicrous man as a potential presidential candidate....

A big problem with publishing this as a PDF is that a certain amount of JPEG-style compression is used on all images in the PDF. This leads to pixel artifacts, making it difficult to distinguish any editing that may have been done.

Timble2 said:
With that "hair" Trump would do best to avoid the wind altogether.

Things are desperate if anyone considers this ludicrous man as a potential presidential candidate....

Well, I wouldn't be voting for him if I was American!

I've tried to watch Alex Jones videos - I just can't, it is too stupid for words.

Trump's next move:

6a00e551f080038834015431fd3363970c-pi.png

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2011/04/b ... centa.html

Doesn't he look like Boris Johnson's (evil) older twin?
Spode to his Bertie, or something...

SameOldVardoger said:

This link provides also one more refutation that long form certificates can't be released. The Hawaian administration got all muddled up on this one

Whilst I'm not one to subscribe to the rabid views of Alex Jones or his ilk, I think it's possible that there may indeed be a problem with this scan of the birth certificate.

If you have Adobe Acrobat Professional, you can check this yourself:

Open the PDF.
Use the Advanced > Export All Images... menu option.
Select PNG in the Save As Type drop-down.
Click on the Settings... button and in the Resolution drop-down, select one of the higher numbers (e.g. 1200 pixels/inch).
Click OK, then Save.

Instead of producing just one image (as one would expect from a single scan), it produces 3 separate images.

This is more than a little odd, I think. In my mind, it casts reasonable doubt on the authenticity of the document.
If it is a fake, it has been badly done.

Mythopoeika said:

Instead of producing just one image (as one would expect from a single scan), it produces 3 separate images.

This is more than a little odd, I think. In my mind, it casts reasonable doubt on the authenticity of the document.
If it is a fake, it has been badly done.
You'd think someone would be a bit better at using ye olde Photoshoppe, wouldn't you?

Back