• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

Just about everybody's seen this before but it's always worth another viewing .. David Bowie, Freddy Mercury and Kermits :)

To me, the story/words of the song were that unemployed gentlemans story, played out beautifully by his total focus on what He was trying to convey to his audience. First time I've seen it, it moved me..

Thanks Swifty.

To me, the story/words of the song were that unemployed gentlemans story, played out beautifully by his total focus on what He was trying to convey to his audience. First time I've seen it, it moved me..

Thanks Swifty.
You'll be relieved and a probably bit pissed off in equal measures to learn that the guy in the video isn't homeless at all but a jobbing actor and comedian. He took a bit of flack for it online and released a follow up video stating that he was trying to entertain and only afterwards went on to highlight the issue of homelessness through his performance although a lot of people felt manipulated. It's a great video whatever the truth is and still very moving. It also shows how timeless Bowie and Mercury still are ..

Last edited:
sounds like next step to homeless - fairly marginalised anyway!
Quite.
I personally know an actress who has been homeless at least 2 times. Not much paid acting work about.

First listen today to Blackstar - really liked it (way more than I expected for some reason). Of all the albums released in the 8 days of 2016, this is currently my favourite.

The LP should be waiting for me when I get home!

(Although I've got the 10" from 2014 which features two of the tracks, and they are both fantastic...)

Just about to listen to Blackstar...but in the meantime I'd like to showcase Life On Mars? I was a very self involved little girl (still am) and I thought that this song had something to do with me and that somehow, somewhere, David was a part of my family. He and I certainly have the same teeth! Anyway, I adopted him and love him still to this day. Happy Birthday, big bro!

*happy dance with EyronRen* :D

we should turn pro......... ;)

Very good. Personally I like a wide range of Bowie stuff from across his career (too many people tend to just go "Oooh no, anything apart from Ziggy / TWD / Berlin / etc is just crap..".) Even the most "eh?" albums have at least one or two redeeming features. The workout mix I use at the gym - whenever I go back to it - has Suffragette City, Holy Holy, Modern Love and Scary Monsters on it, Bowie being the biggest presence on the mix (followed by Led Zep, Floyd and PIL.
Completely with you on everything here, Stuart. Allow me to indulge my senses. is very very good. There are Bowie moments and then there are Bowie subliminals. This album ticks a lot of boxes, but best of all it rewards repeated attention. Lazarus is immediate, but Blackstar is the centrepiece that brings me back. It is chillingly good.

'Tis a Pity She's a Whore exhibits deep shades of this at the intro:

Compare

David takes the piss. Can't get the complete scene on Youtube any more. Shame.

Herbie Flowers lives in a small village not far from me, my mate sort-of-knows him as he used to be Herbie's local PCSO (Dame Vera Lynn is another one he had many a cup of tea with).

Anyway, he just dropped into the conversation yesterday that Herbie mentioned that he goes out Berlin every year for Dave's birthday, a big bunch of musos all meet up in one of his favourite cafes to celebrate the big day. And my mate basically turned-down the opportunity to go out with him and be the photographer for the day...

He also 'never got round' to free bass lessons with Herbie and a guitar jam with Chris Spedding.

Herbie Flowers is the man who did the bass line for Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side"...awesome!

CONSPIRACY THEORY (OR NOT?): DOES DAVID BOWIE KNOW THERE IS A BAND CALLED LAZARUS BLACKSTAR?

043bowvit.jpg

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/does_david_bowie_know_about_a_band_called_lazarus_blackstar

Or was he inspired by where he used to order his VHS cassettes from online fifteen years ago?

CONSPIRACY THEORY (OR NOT?): DOES DAVID BOWIE KNOW THERE IS A BAND CALLED LAZARUS BLACKSTAR?

043bowvit.jpg

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/does_david_bowie_know_about_a_band_called_lazarus_blackstar
Goodness. Well it wouldn't be the first time a chameleon changed its visage to look like something it was sitting on.

The St Vitus shakes are really interesting and quite unnerving to watch. I first saw them on a doco about the Nazis. The old vets from WWI in hospitals for the insane just juddering away uncontrollably. Really nasty affliction. How exhausted would you be after even 10 minutes of that kind of muscular exertion? Kind of lends itself to the war theme the Blackstar song is purportedly about (ISIS et al).

Been pondering the line

Something happened on the day he died
Spirit rose a metre and then stepped aside
Somebody else took his place and bravely cried
I'm a Blackstar I'm a Blackstar

Could be the same message as Spielberg's Munich that no matter how many times you try to take out the enemy, there is always another true believer ready to take on the mantle and martyr themselves in the name of their own perceived good truth.

Consider this:
I'm a Blackstar I'm a Blackstar
Alluah Ackbar Alluah Ackbar

Has anybody else picked up the vinyl version? It's a thing of beauty.

A good friend gave a me a CD version as a birthday prezzie on Friday. Was caning it on my travels in the car this afternoon. 6 speakers with shit bass, but it was loud. Did the job.

Back