• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

666 (Six Six Six): The Devil's Number? The Number Of The Beast?

Calculators.......

I just tried to work out my overall mark so far for each subject I'm doing at university, and I'm apparently on triple figures per cent already.

Darn these pesky machines.

I have a 666 in my home phone number. Have had for over 20 years.

And I'm soooo tired of people pointing it out...:no-no:

Including sales tax, the price of my issue of Fortean Times purchased today was $6.66.

Hey, Ogopogo -- remember the old channel 6 building
in downtown Duluth? It had 666 painted in 20 foot numerals
on its east-facing side... until the building burned down in
a flash fire... hmmm.... ;)

TVgeek

i'm suprised no one's brought up the pixies song with the lyric 'if the devil is six then god is seven, if god if seven then this monkeys gone to heaven'.:D
give 'monkeys gone to heaven' a listen. it makes more sense than the book of revilations.

I heard once the number of the antichrist was 7 (or 777)... anyone else heard that?

JackSkellington said:
I heard once the number of the antichrist was 7 (or 777)... anyone else heard that?
Robert Graves asked whether the number was originally written in Latin, or Greek. He reckoned it was either a numerical name cipher for the Emperor Nero, or somebody like Diocletian, or Trajan. Some Emperor that had it in for the early Christians anyway.

The thing about some Christian's and other End of the Worlders, is that they always expect the End of the World to be Immanent. Like it should happen to them, especially!

Ogopogo said:
Including sales tax, the price of my issue of Fortean Times purchased today was .66.
Queue the Twilight Zone Music there Ogo! :eek:

Gematria a bizarre notion used by Armageddonists proves definitively that that Bush should not come to Canada

Posted by: joan.Russow on http://PEJ.org Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 11:38 AM
28 Reads

Peace Gematria a bizarre notion used by Armageddonists proves definitively that that Bush should not come to Canada

If the fear of being booed in Parliament, being detained at the border under the Anti Terrorism Act, or being prevented from entering Canada because of violations of the Citizen and Immigration Act, being tried for crimes against humanity, or by causing a National Day of Mourning with the wearing of black bands in Canada, has not deterred his determination to come to Canada, surely this definitive proof through Gematria will finally persuade him not to come.

Gematria a bizarre notion used by Armageddonists proves definitively that that Bush should not come to Canada

In 1983, Ed McAteer (recently raptured) from the Religious Roundtable, proclaimed that nuclear weapons are part of God’s design. Outraged at the danger inherent in the stupidity of his statement, I decided to attend a session on "Armageddon and the Mark of the Beast” at a local fundamentalist Church.

The American Preacher fully armed with the latest evidence through Gematria of Christ reappearance, stated his proof in this way.

C H R I S T I S C O M I N G
With each letter standing for the evidence. For example C stands for Crime is rampant; H is for hurricane spreading across the earth etc. He then assigned numerical value to the letters and miraculously the letters added up to a sum that was the final definitive proof.

If Gematria is applied to this visit to Canada , Bush can be linked to the mark of the beast 666

W . B U S H I S C O M I N G T O O T TA W A A N D T O H A L IF A X = 364

364 = 3 x 6 x 4

3 x 6 x 4 = 72

3 x 72 = 216

216 = 6 x 6 x 6

6 x 6 x 6 = 666

666 IS THE MARK OF THE BEAST – THE DEVIL

If the fear of being booed in Parliament, being detained at the border under the Anti Terrorism Act, or being prevented from entering Canada because of violations of the Citizen and Immigration Act, being tried for crimes against humanity, or by causing a National Day of Mourning with the wearing of black bands in Canada, has not deterred his determination to come to Canada, surely this definitive proof through Gematria will finally persuade him not to come.

by Joan E Russow = 11

Source

So...who assigned these numbers?
Who has the numbers 1 to 665?
Why isn't God's number 1?

I just think whoever invented this concept is barking.

What is the origin/significance of 666?

I could just google this but it's much more fun posting here. Can anyone explain the history of 666 & why it inspires such dread? Has the no. Been actually linked to any events? How many religions make reference to it? I'm curious.

Re: What is the origin/significance of 666?

Dana said:
I could just google this but it's much more fun posting here. Can anyone explain the history of 666 & why it inspires such dread? Has the no. Been actually linked to any events? How many religions make reference to it? I'm curious.

Well, it's mentioned specifically in Revelations in the bible, but I can't quote you chapter & verse. It's mentioned as the 'mark of the beast' meaning the symbol to be used to identify Satan & his followers. I'm not aware of any mention of it before that, but if there is someone will know.

Long section here looks like a legitimite exploring of the issue:

http://www.satan4u.8m.com/history/666.html

And a bit from the begining (of the rather long essay):

Origin of Revelation and the '666'

There are two things which, no matter how often it is showed to be erroneous people still persist on believing, it’d be the Book of Revelation, and the “666”. The predictions for Jesus failed return would have seemed to have, by now, made the believers realize that he’s not coming back, ‘cause he didn’t exist in the first place. Indeed, throughout the entire New Testament, every single prophet of “Jesus” says to be wary for his return, in their lifetimes! Certainly we find that the same failed predictions that took place 1800 years ago, (when the Bible was actually written), are the same failed predictions that are taking place now.

Normally, delusional crackpots and fundamental Christians have little to do with Satanism, however, this issue will be addressed at length here, for both the benefits of the Satanist and the casual observers. Really, almost no one knows the actual origins of the Book of Revelation, who “John” really was, and what the number “666” actually meant. Most of the time in applying to what, “666” meant, non-scholars and charlatans have used modern day definitions to apply to something that was written thousands of years ago. The idea is really silly. It’d be the quintessential same as letting an ancient civilization write a book on what a plane is, then accepting that proposal as being correct. Trying to reinterpret something ancient using modern and contemporary ideals is fallacious at best, and shows the main problem that mythology has. People who are not researchers are trying to prove their own religious agenda’s. Let’s examine the basis for the Book of Revelation without an agenda, and see what it leads us to find.

and a bit about the main site:

http://www.satan4u.8m.com/

Welcome to the new web home of the United Satanic Covenire.
We are an emerging Western occult school and initiary body whose focus is to utilize the Satanic myth structure; thereby building a philosophic, mystical, and spiritual platform through which Satanic Aspirants may gain a better understanding of their right powers and responsibilities, as befits healthy functional individuals. We utilize Ritual Enactment, Invocation, and Evocation, and have developed original and modified Satanic Magickal Rituals through which our aims and goals may be exercised and achieved.

In the coming years, we will endeavor to grow and improve with our membership body, as the facilitators of this organization we stay in direct contact with all Aspirants personally - so things may change often to meet the requirements of the many, but never forget: We observe the ultimate right and responsibility of each individual to hold him or herself as the ultimate authority in all matters. Participation on all levels, in all things, is completely voluntary at all times. We suggest that if you are considering applying for membership, that you first read about our levels of expectation.

It only tends to inspire dread in the minds of certain christians and people who find 'The Omen' films scary ;) No other religions aside from christianity make reference to it. Historically (and biblically) the number is linked with the Beast. Later, with the Anti-Christ - various attempts to pin the AC label on various people - Napoleon, various popes, etc. IIRC, cod-numerology has also been used to 'translate' the number into the names of various AC candidates.

That said, the actual reason why 666 is significant as a number is hard to pin down - AFAIK, opinion is divided about it's true origins, etc..

Mr RING - that's not really a site for a balanced overview ;)

You could check out Gematria: Hebrew Numerology.

And from the wikipedia entry for Number of the Beast:

[...]
One interpretation is simply that 666 represents humankind in general because of the special significance that the number has in the Bible. Six is known as an "imperfect number" because it is one short of seven, the "perfect number" (seven days in the week, seven tongues of flame, seven spiritual gifts...). So three (the number of the Trinity) sixes is seen as extremely imperfect. Therefore, 666 represents imperfect man, while 777 represents God.
[...]

I've read someplace (Tim Callaghan? Skeptic Magazine reference in an article on Anastasia? Prometheus magazine? Damn, can't pin it down.) that the number of the beast in the oldest extant copies of Revelations is actually '646' rather than '666', and that in Numerology '646' was -apparently- the Emperor Nero.

I repeat it without passing judgement on the accuracy of it. :?

JerryB said:
Mr RING - that's not really a site for a balanced overview ;)

Well, that's true, but it was the first place I found and it looked like there was a fair amount of (seemingly) detailed info on the page. Plus, a "pro-666" website might have different conclusions than an anti-666 site, so it seemed a worthy inclusion.

Doing this from memory...I believe that in Hebrew or Greek, there are numerical values associated with each letter, and 666 is believed to be "Nero" or "Neron". In modern-day terms it'd be like saying "Be alert for another Hitler." I believe that 616 is credited in some translations...it's all a coded message to the faithful, oo-er! I see Revelation as an extended allegory, carrying on the eschatological tradition of Daniel; others, as we know (van Impe is a famous one for this) take it as literal truth/prediction.

Phun phact: Martin Luther did not believe that Revelation was canonical.

If the devil is 6, if the devil is 6...then God is 7!

This monkey's gone to heaven.

"This Monkey's Gone to Heaven" by The Pixies

This is all very enlightening. I remember at college I had a student number that ended in the digits 666. I merely laughed it off but a friend of mine was utterly horrified and said I should go to administration and have it changed. That always reminded me of hotels not having a 13th floor out of superstition.
I had the number 666 turn up in my life one other time that I cannot recall right now. Plus I think in one of the Omen movies the child-beast had the numbers 666 on his scalp under all his hair. That spooked me because i've had a scar in the middle of my scalp since infanthood that my mom never properly explained to me. She said I had stitches there. It's in such a position and covered under so much hair now that i've never really seen it properly, but hairdressers have always been curious about it. None of them have died after doing my hair tho :lol:

A couple of years ago I travelled to Turin in order to visit the Fiat museum. My family used to own a very old Fiat known as 'Mephistopheles', it was the last car to break the land-speed record on the public roads.

I was staying with 3 friends in a very old part of the city. After dinner on the evening before my trip to see the car we all went for a drink at a nearby bar and then sat in the square behind the flat for a last cigarette.

It was very late and quiet. The city was also fairly empty anyway as it was the height of the summer and many of the locals have the good sense to bugger-off to the coast until it cools down a bit. From out of nowhere a black Alfa-Romeo (Alfa are owned by Fiat by the way) with tinted windows screeches into the square, drives round the fountain three times and drives away. As it left we noticed the '666' in its' registration plate!

I was also mildly alarmed to discover the following day that the surname of Mephistoph's designated keeper/mechanic was Fausto!

Oxy

Almost completely OT, But...
After Good Friday services last week, my sister and I stopped at the store for odds and ends. Guess what my total was? We made a few silly jokes about the "Satan Reciept", and I don't think the cashier appreciated it! Still have it, though.

666 - NOT the number of the beast!

Turns out they were a little off:

Revelation! 666 is not the number of the beast (it's a devilish 616)
By Tom Anderson
01 May 2005

A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616.

The new fragment from the Book of Revelation, written in ancient Greek and dating from the late third century, is part of a hoard of previously unintelligible manuscripts discovered in historic dumps outside Oxyrhynchus in Egypt. Now a team of expert classicists, using new photographic techniques, are finally deciphering the original writing.

Professor David Parker, Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism and Paleography at the University of Birmingham, thinks that 616, although less memorable than 666, is the original. He said: "This is an example of gematria, where numbers are based on the numerical values of letters in people's names. Early Christians would use numbers to hide the identity of people who they were attacking: 616 refers to the Emperor Caligula."

The Book of Revelation is traditionally considered to be written by John, a disciple of Jesus; it identifies 666 as the mark of the Antichrist. In America, the fundamentalist Christian right often use the number in sermons about the coming Apocalypse.

They and satanists responded coolly to the new "Revelation". Peter Gilmore, High Priest of the Church of Satan, based in New York, said: "By using 666 we're using something that the Christians fear. Mind you, if they do switch to 616 being the number of the beast then we'll start using that."

Whoops! :devil:

How do they know the Greek writings they found were not just mistakes. I'm pretty sure the modern revelation didn't rely on one copy of one source.

I'm not sure that this is a new discovery anyway, the 616 variant was already known from existing sources (though not if you rely on the Omen )

Interestingly little article on how this stuff's worked out:
Numerology of the Beast

But the really suggestive hint is that the oldest manuscripts don't agree on the number: some have 616 instead. It's much harder to concoct an explanation that fits both numbers, and only one of the proposed interpretations of the Number of the Beast accounts for both: Nero. Remember it was NeRON QeiSaR in Hebrew. But the final N of NeRON is optional: the name can also be rendered NeRO, subtracting the letter N [Nun] and its value of 50 to get -- 616.

Dana said:
This is all very enlightening. I remember at college I had a student number that ended in the digits 666. I merely laughed it off but a friend of mine was utterly horrified and said I should go to administration and have it changed. That always reminded me of hotels not having a 13th floor out of superstition.
I knew a drug dealer who was utterly chuffed with having those digits in his phone number.

Now here is a subject on which I know way, way too much!

666 is a triangular number, the sum of all the numbers from 1 to 36, which is also a triangular number, as is 6.

666 is also the sum of the first 6 Roman numerals DCLXVI (which can be turned into a Caesarian title).

In some manuscripts, the number of the Beast is 616. This does not prevent scholars from turning it into Caesar's title. In fact, they are not perturbed by Greek, Hebrew or Latin. It works suspiciously easily in them all.

In gematria, the biblical numerology which underlies the Bible Code, 666 is associated with the Temple, the World, completion, etc. It is not necessarily an evil number at all. In fact, it's use as the Number of the Beast may be a Judeo-Christian jibe at their Jewish as well as their Roman masters and persecutors--there are two Beasts in Revelation--the Beast from the Land (the Holy Land, we call it) and the Beast from the Sea (the Peoples of the Sea).

Six is the number of profane days in the week, so 666 may symbolize the World--or the World Empire, also totality, the End, etc. It is, in short, a Cosmic Number quite aside from it's use in Revelation.

As for WHO is the Beast 666, it is obviously George Walker Bush, at least until 2008. The Beast is the Priceps (President) of the Empire (New Rome) whose "merchants are great men in the Earth" and "who has made the merchants of the Earth rich with her delicacies". The Book of Revelation expends an entire chapter on her wealth and adds the lament (or flattery) of the nations, "who is like the Beast, that they might make war on him?"

World's greatest economic and military power, um, let's see who could that be? Senatus et populus Americanus in Quorum.

Which brings us to another nice piece of numerology--the tradition that American Presidents elected in a year that ends in 0 die in office. Bush hasn't so far, but then most people don't really think he counts because he wasn't elected--he was appointed by Judge Antonio Scalia. So he won't die in office, maybe. But the Beast will be wounded and miraculously recover, according to Revelation. Somebody may take a shot at him and miss by an inch or more.

The thing that scares me is that you don't have to believe in God for this story to resonate because there's such a thing as self-fulfilling prophecy. And who better to act out a script like this than a recovering alcoholic and (alleged) cokehead who is a Born Again Christian and draftdodger?

Bush fits the profile of a serial Antichrist. I never liked the look of him from the start. Too stupid. All of the cunning demogogues of history have looked a lot stupider than they are.

As for 666, there are 1,000 numbers from 000 to 999, so it comes up 1 in 1000 or 1 in 999 depending on whether you allow the 000 to be a number. It has appeared twice in my ID numbers--once in a telephone number with a Service Provider now defunct, and once in an old credit card number. There is no reason why it shouldn't unless the number provider is superstitious--think of forbidden licence plates such as FU2UKNT.

Look up the formula for calculating the odds of three given digits turning up in a series of x numbers supposing that each 6 is identical. We are not talking about long odds, particularly if you allow for all the telephone, credit card, bank account and other numbers that attach themselves to modern people like soot attached itself to the urban poor a century ago.

And that's assuming that you have singled me out in particular as the subject of this experiment. My guess is that it would be unusual NOT to come into contact with any particular three digit number on a regular basis, including the numbers that stand out such as 666, 911, 123, etc.

More time has been wasted on the Number of the Beast than on balancing chequebooks. Well, more of my time has been wasted. My chequebook is rather simple to balance--you put your thumb under a spot very near the middle.

I'd suggest that you google 666 only the web is full of Nasty Christians and even nastier Anti-Christians--white supremacists, satanists, Bush Republicans, satirists, nutters, etc.

Here is the best discussion of the various gematria of the number 666 that I have found:

http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_666.asp

It even has a section on the mathematical properties of 666.

Brilliant!

Nota bene, the Greek word for TRADITION(S)--paradosis--is 666 in Greek gematria.

http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/grk/v ... umber=3862

Is 666 a Greek Judeao-Christian pun? You bet! But then all numbers are word play in gematria.

The correct answer to the meaning of 666 is all of the above, or if you think numerology is superstititious rubbish, even in the hands of theologians, none of the above.

By the way, I am not the Beast.

You are not the Beast.

Don't worry about it.

Like conspiracy theories and religion, numerology only tells you what you want to believe.

The Oracle is equivocal.

It can not be wrong, because it is always right, no matter what happens, and it can not be right, because it is never wrong, no matter what happens. As a scientist said in exasperation of another scientist's theory "He's not even wrong!"

Better to be wrong, in a useful way, than so muddled as to be incapable of being wrong. Science has learned that lesson well, but Religion is still in the dark.

Oh, look! Here it is:

The Day of the LORD is darkness, not light. [Amos 5.18]

Another 666!

Just saw an article in Fortean Times Breaking News section today - the number is 616 and it means the Emperor Caligula.

Now he was a right bastard so it makes perfect sense.

Back