• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Dogman Or Werewolf

curiousgeorge

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ive posted in the Cryptozoology forum asking for info. My experience goes back to two years ago in north yorkshire to what only can be described as seeing a werewolf. Im a logical person, to me they are something from horror films and science fiction and dont exists but after hearing what i heard and then seeing it - I know believe different. Ive googled ever since to see if anyone has seen anything in that area but never found anything. It's the first time Ive posted as obviuosly posting Ive seen a werewolf leave my post open to ridicule. Put it this way I wont camp out on the moors again. I went for a walk outside my motorhome and can only describe what was blood curdling howls exactly as you would imagine from a movie. I heard them to the side of me so decided to walk back to my van then the howls were in front of me so yes i started to do a fast walk then i saw the shape of something shaggy on two legs it was behind my motorhome stood up. It was about 6ft tall shaggy with glowing red eyes and stood on two legs. It was not a dog far too big . Ive had dogs all my life never heard a howl as deep or loud , plus Ive never heard my dogs howl. There was no one around for miles a pretty remote place no animals , no farm animals. It was exactly as you would imagine from the horror movies but I didnt see it close up instead I legged it as fast as i could. I saw the shape of it from a distance I heard it following me and to the side of me so it moved pretty quick. It was wandering outside my van for a while a good 20 minutes, it sounded like it was underneath. To be honest I sat in there quiet and was too scared to look out the window . No one was playing a prank. In the morning nothing , no evidence. I went to the spot where it would have been stood that where I get the estmate it was 6ft .I had lit a fire earlier outside im presuming seeing a fire in the middle of no where attracted it. It was foggy , wasnt camping season only me out there in a campervan. no foot prints around the van in the morning nothing.

Assuming you are not BS-ing us:

This sounds so terrifying if it happened to me i'd be hard pressed to ever go outside again at all.

I would also like to extend my sympathy. Even on a board like this, almost no one will ever really believe you. This is I think the hardest thing about these experiences. They're completely unexpected, they're unaccountable and unacceptable, they're unproveable and unrepeatable, they appear to have no meaning or purpose, and they leave you socially isolated with your world-view turned on its ass.

How can you be so sure there was nobody around and that nobody was playing a prank on you? You seem fairly definite about it.

Hi curiousgeorge,

While unfortunately I can't tell you anything about werewolf sightings in your part of the world, I can tell you what happened to my spouse once. Maybe it will be useful somehow.

Years ago, he and a friend were camping. In the open field at night, he saw a huge, red-eyed wolf charging and leaping at him. He screamed. His friend, surprisingly did not react to the wolf, but responded by whispering "shh" and pointing at their van. According to the friend, he did not see the wolf, but instead saw something tall and white (vaguely human shaped) walking around the corner of the van at the same time. Both shapes disappeared at the next moment. Both men jumped into the van and hid, terrified. They could hear something in the grass outside. Suddenly, they both experienced a "presence" in the van with them, as if an invisible person was staring at them at very close range. They were scared out of their minds, so they started the van and drove for at least a mile before the feeling of being watched dissipated. They described it as the most frightening thing that ever happened to them.
He later did some research on the area and found the land had once been the territory of the Tonkawa tribe, whose name means "people of the wolf" and who considered the tribe to be descended from wolves.

I mention all this because my spouse has no doubt to this day that he saw a wolf. His friend saw something completely different. Whatever it was might have appeared to each of them differently. Whatever it was scared the hell out of them, regardless. I'm not necessarily saying you saw an apparition that only looked like a werewolf - the fact that you heard howling indicates it was something more corporeal. But any avenue of investigation might yield some insight.

Perhaps you can look into the history of the area to find out if there is any association with wolves, not just in modern times, but even ancient civilizations that associated themselves with wolves as totem animals or in some other way. You may have to look far back into history for this, so you may have to plow through some old history books to find anything. But it may be worth trying.

Interesting story Ulalume...reminds a little of an encounter in an abandoned caravan I read on the Obi Wan Paranormal Pages.

They were scared out of their minds, so they started the van and drove for at least a mile before the feeling of being watched dissipated.

That would seem to be the logical thing to do if you were hiding in a van (or motorhome) and were scared. Just drive away from the area...what stopped you, Curious George, from doing that if you don't mind me asking?

Curious George, would you be able to give us a rough idea where this happened? Like a google map screen shot? North Yorks is quite a big place.

Interesting story Ulalume...reminds a little of an encounter in an abandoned caravan I read on the Obi Wan Paranormal Pages.

That would seem to be the logical thing to do if you were hiding in a van (or motorhome) and were scared. Just drive away from the area...what stopped you, Curious George, from doing that if you don't mind me asking?

Could you give me a link please I'd be interested to read it. To be honest I was too petrified to drive off , it would be the most logical thing to do thinking afterwards but when you are in that situation it's different. I didn't want that thing looking at me through the windscreen !!

Ive posted in the Cryptozoology forum asking for info. My experience goes back to two years ago in north yorkshire to what only can be described as seeing a werewolf. Im a logical person, to me they are something from horror films and science fiction and dont exists but after hearing what i heard and then seeing it - I know believe different. Ive googled ever since to see if anyone has seen anything in that area but never found anything. It's the first time Ive posted as obviuosly posting Ive seen a werewolf leave my post open to ridicule. Put it this way I wont camp out on the moors again. I went for a walk outside my motorhome and can only describe what was blood curdling howls exactly as you would imagine from a movie. I heard them to the side of me so decided to walk back to my van then the howls were in front of me so yes i started to do a fast walk then i saw the shape of something shaggy on two legs it was behind my motorhome stood up. It was about 6ft tall shaggy with glowing red eyes and stood on two legs. It was not a dog far too big . Ive had dogs all my life never heard a howl as deep or loud , plus Ive never heard my dogs howl. There was no one around for miles a pretty remote place no animals , no farm animals. It was exactly as you would imagine from the horror movies but I didnt see it close up instead I legged it as fast as i could. I saw the shape of it from a distance I heard it following me and to the side of me so it moved pretty quick. It was wandering outside my van for a while a good 20 minutes, it sounded like it was underneath. To be honest I sat in there quiet and was too scared to look out the window . No one was playing a prank. In the morning nothing , no evidence. I went to the spot where it would have been stood that where I get the estmate it was 6ft .I had lit a fire earlier outside im presuming seeing a fire in the middle of no where attracted it. It was foggy , wasnt camping season only me out there in a campervan. no foot prints around the van in the morning nothing.

Hi, curiousgeorge - I've only just found your post. I strongly suggest you visit the dogmanencounters website and have a word with Vic Cundiff. He will be very sympathetic and glad to hear from you. Many of his reports - and there are hundreds, you are not alone, are from the US but some are from England, reported by folk just like yourself. Hope this helps.

Barghest/gytrash/gabble-ratchet/padfoot is a Yorkshire thing (and pops up in other parts of the UK with a Norse culture). Oddly someone was just telling me about seeing what sounded like a classic gytrash near here (North Yorkshire but a different part) - and they saw it in a churchyard which - like remote moors - is a traditional spot. Although the person telling me had zero knowledge of folk lore and didn't even know big black dogs are A Thing.

Gytrash is a moorland thing too. Some may well be on two feet - am not sure. Leeds was very big on Padfoots (Padfeet?) How far were you from Goathland? They appear to have one.
http://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/leisure/countrywalks/4253153.Spooky_tales_of_the_moorland_hounds/

In the Brazilian werewolf article, the first picture looks like a prawn out of District 9 and the second picture is clearly a bear.

The video looks more like an ape to me.

Has this video been mentioned on site before? I think I can remember some comments about the obviously visible strap to the mask. You can see it quite clearly in the close-up at the end.

Also that photo, the first on the page. One of the main things I find slightly ridiculous about werewolves in films, TV and computer games is that they always seem to have 'dog legs'. Like a quadruped does. I suppose some people would say this lends them an extra element of the uncanny, but I can't help thinking how ungainly it looks.

I hope you're all following dogmanencountersradio.com hosted by Vic Cundiff. 66 shows up to now with VERY interesting guests who certainly seem genuine.

Hi where abouts were you camping when you have this experience?

I dont know if you're allowed to post a link offsite, but if you go to the bigfoot field researchers website, click on by region, then Oregon, then lake county and scroll down, you will see a report titled lady has long nightime sighting while walking her german shepard dog late at nite or something to that effect. I Believe she saw a werewolf. The Upper peninsula of Michagen is noted for werewolf sightings too. And who can ever forget the dogheaded men, wearing trenchcoats and smoking cigarettes seen at Skinwaljer Ranch, Utah? Good times!!

Hi curiousgeorge, not sure if you're still reading this, but if so you may want to google 'flixton werewolf' - a North Yorkshire beastie with sightings dating from 920AD through to the 1970s whose 'hunting ground' is fairly close to Helmsley :)

The most compelling Dogman photo I have seen .
The beast of the seven chutes.

It looks like a baboon faced type 7 to me.
It is carrying a rabbit? Dog? Something it has killed for food. The guy in this vid enhances the photo, you can even see red on the creature, which looks like blood , transferred from the dead prey, to dogmans fur.

Beast 7 chutes - photo enhancement .

The seven different types of Dogman.

I hope you're all following dogmanencountersradio.com hosted by Vic Cundiff. 66 shows up to now with VERY interesting guests who certainly seem genuine.
I love that channel! I've seen your same avatar on YouTube comments , recognised you from here .

Last edited:
The road up from Helmsley is the direct route to Teeside, via Bilsdale, and that part of the moors is the most frequented by people. So its isolation would depend on how far out of Helmsley the sighting was. There aren't many car parks up there either, nowhere you could pull a camper van in and not have traffic passing literally just outside your window. The North York Moors aren't really like Dartmoor, with loads of car parks and facilities, once you are out of the town it's pretty much just road, the only places to get off the road are tracks leading to farms. (I drove that road once a week for eight years, I know it pretty well). I live not far away, and there's no tales of anything 'spooky' up there - in fact I have complained on here, many times, about the lack of 'spookiness' of my bit of Britain.

For any interested in this sort of thing I'd recommend this - https://wordery.com/the-michigan-do...R2U0VuMVE9PQ&gclid=CIXOsuf8xMgCFQmNGwodukAJ9g

I admit, the cover made me dubious, and it's not even a subject I've had much interest but it was a great read. Sober, sensible and very well-researched.
I've got a few of Linda Godfreys books downloaded and ready to go. I'm halfway through a book about France's Shea ( Reg Krays tragic first wife who committed suicide). When Im done with that , I'll be starting the Dogman books.

Nothing spooky on the North York Moors !. .?

You have lots of weirdness going on up there , especially around the "weird wolds" . Paul Sinclair is local and has written a book about weird wolds.
UFOs, the Flixton Werewolf ...and other things I can't recall , but deffo lots of strangeness.

I'm going to Filey in 5wks time , will be driving through the werewolf /Dogman hotspots en route. Might have to stop off for a mooch about.

The OP is long gone. It was me who dragged an old thread up, as I was dying to share the above vids, searched Dogman , and this seemed the best thread .

Cats eye, you are correct about "where would he park a motor home" . I thought the same. As you say, there is nowhere to park. It's just moors, and they are rough and bumpy , I can't imagine a vechicle been able to get off the road and onto the moors.... Nope...too bumpy/ditches/uneven .

I'd love to have seen a gmaps screenshot of the area, as if it was a real sighting it would be very interesting to see if it's happened I'm the same place as the others reported by Paul Sinclair.

Alas, we will never find out sadly.

You say your in Hemsley . If that's further up and going out towards Newcastle / Teeside then I'm not familiar with it. Furthest up I've been is Whitby/scarbro.

It sounds like you may be quite a bit higher up than I realised, and thus away from the strangeness that happens in the wolds. ( Brid/Filey/ wolds)

Check out Paul Sinclair, great local knowledge and info.

You say your in Hemsley . If that's further up and going out towards Newcastle / Teeside then I'm not familiar with it. Furthest up I've been is Whitby/scarbro.

It sounds like you may be quite a bit higher up than I realised, and thus away from the strangeness that happens in the wolds. ( Brid/Filey/ wolds)

Check out Paul Sinclair, great local knowledge and info.
Yes, The North York Moors are nowhere near the Wolds, and Filey/Scarborough are way over on the coast. No tales of ghostly lights, orbs, anything much, I even put an appeal on here for anyone who'd got any good stories about my locality - nothing. Plenty of things from York, and all points of the compass elsewhere, but not the moors. Helmsley is at the southern end of the road that goes, via Bilsdale, Chop Gate and Stokesley, up to Teeside and Middlesborough. Newcastle is a very long way from Teeside!

It looks like a baboon faced type 7 to me.
With no intention of making fun or mocking, I have to say to me it looks like someone in a gorilla suit carrying a watermelon.

Morning funky tt I agree with you PLENTY of weird stuff going on in Yorkshire and the wolds.
The beloved missus and me went for a walk there years ago we had parked in the village of west heslerton?
Didn’t see anything strange/weird but the area was absolutely packed with wildlife brilliant.
Anyway a work colleague of mine told me that his ma &pa had done the same walk and a bright pale blue and yellow lizard had walked across the path in front of them and the weird part was they just looked and said nothing to each other for ages about it not till they got home at least

Back