• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

I have read it, at first i thought it was going to be as entertaining as will storr vs the supernatural, but when it started examining the effects of upbringing, society etc on our actions i had to force myself to finish the book, i found myself trying to marshal arguments in order to defend free will, but all i could come up with was I DON'T WANT TO BE A FLESH AND BLOOD ROBOT.

There are many excellent points to the book, the new ideas on mental illness, the interview with randi and the tour with david irving where superb, but i found the whole outlook of the book to be very bleak and depressing, i normally read a book again right after i finished it, this one is going to a friend for their views on it.

I found it rather challenging as well.

But I'm no robot!

Have you read The Meme Machine by Susan Blackmore?

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v21/n12/wg-runciman/darwinian-soup

Again a great book, but I don't accept her robotic conclusions.

i would never get one of her books, she really annoys me, she is as smug as a smug thing thats feeling extra smug today

Just checked out a new Ruth Rendell from the library. She's a pretty old gal and I'm so glad glad to see a new book from her.

Just finished A Song of Shadows, A Charlie Parker Thriller by John Connolly. Involves Nazis, serial killers, the supernatural. If you've liked the series to date then you'll like this one.

Years ago Connolly claimed that everything happening in his novels could be explained by psychological factors but it seems to have gone far beyond that now.

Last edited:
Just read The Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Loved it. If you like Harry Potter, Doctor Who and Neil Gaiman you should like this as well.

Paul Keller - How UFO's took over the world
Saw this one at the train station bookshop. A history of the UFO phenomenon. Looked quite decent.
Was too expensive for me in hardcover. But I can't find it on the Internet, strange!

This looked fabulously awful:

Has anybody read it? It's 30p on ebay...

The Steal: A Cultural History of Shoplifting, by Rachel Shteir. From the days when you could be hanged to the idea of shoplifter as social bandit. Covers the early history of anti-theft devices and Daniel Defoes writings on thieving. From Abbie Hoffman to Fregan debates about shoplifting.

Not just a sociological text, of interest to Forteans.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/25/entertainment/la-et-book-20110625

Never read that, but I have come across George Scithers. I seem to recall he was a magazine editor or something like that.

This looked fabulously awful:

Has anybody read it? It's 30p on ebay...

Funnily enough I have. It's ok, not great, a picked it up visiting a relative in a nursing home, it was on a shelf and returned it when I went back.

The Steal: A Cultural History of Shoplifting, by Rachel Shteir.

that looks good. How did you come across it? From the history angle, or the sociological one or....?

Who suggested Mythago Wood? I read it after seeing it mentioned on here and must say I really enjoyed it. Very 'British'.
Well thanks because I wouldn't have heard of it, or the author R Holdstock otherwise.

I love Mythago Wood, but I love the semi-sequel "Lavondyss" even more. :)

Just started reading this after finding it in the sales bookcase. At page 40 now and I'm quite enthusiastic:
Philip Roth meets a man who may or may not be Philip Roth. Because someone with that name has been touring the State of Israel, promoting a bizarre exodus in reverse of the Jews. Roth decides to stop him - even if that means impersonating his impersonator.
Also describes going seriously crazy from sleeping pills:
Concerns about the safety of Halcion began to emerge when a Dutch physician reported a possible link between this drug and a syndrome that included depression, amnesia, hallucinations, and anxiety.

Have just, very belatedly, discovered this thread. Would give some input in favour of an author of whom I am, with qualifications and reservations, a fan – and who could be seen to be Forteanly qualified in that in many of his works, magic is an ordinary and everyday component of life in the world.

The author concerned, is Harry Turtledove, writer of sci-fi / alternative history / fantasy fiction. He seems to be one of those authors whom most people either love or loathe – and there’s no shortage of loathers of him. I take delight in a lot of his stuff (some, I emphatically don’t); and I’ll admit that his writing has many glaring stylistic faults / clumsinesses /corny-nesses – and that he basically writes far too much, both in number of books churned out, and in repeating himself within individual works. However, I see him as like the little girl with the little curl: when he’s bad, he utterly sucks; but when he’s good, for me he’s very enjoyable.

He has written a number of series of novels. He seems most renowned for the “Southern Victory” or “Time-Line 191” series, whose premise is the Confederacy winning the American Civil War in 1862, and successfully seceding; leading to a spell of history, followed over eleven novels, from 1881 to 1945 -- nastier overall than what happened in “our real” time-line. Maybe because Turtledove is American and the majority of his readers are American, with chords thus struck -- most Turtledove fandom seems to be focused on the “Southern Victory” series; which I regret, because this series seems to me, weak and uninspired in comparison to other, overlooked, works by HT.

The three series of his in which I take particular joy, are “Videssos”; “Darkness”; and “Worldwar”. Taking them in order: Turtledove is a well-informed scholar of the long-ago Byzantine Empire, and his Videssos novels (eleven books in all, in three sequential, occurring-at-different-times “sub-series”) are about an alternative, “other-world” Byzantium and its neighbours – in this “alternative”, magic is commonplace, and largely replaces our technology. I understand from knowledgeable folk, that Turtledove – his forte maybe not raw imagination, but doing good stuff with the material which he finds to work on – has in the Videssos books, taken and made over into his universe, a great deal of our-world Byzantine history. My knowing virtually nothing about Byzantium and its history, has perhaps worked to my advantage here.

“Darkness” is a fantasy novel series (six books) patterned on a simplified World War II, but in a universe where the geography differs-but-partly-corresponds vis-a-vis Earth – again, a universe where magic, rather than technology, does the biz. It would seem that most otherwise-Turtledove-fans, think the “Darkness” series to be one of his disasters, regarding it as beyond awful. Briefly described in cold blood, it does sound dire – but it just so happened that I was captivated by it, in the first couple of chapters, and I’ve remained so; and I’d be hard put to it to explain why.

His “Worldwar” series is magic-less: premise is, Earth invaded in the middle of World War II (with which conflict Turtledove does seem hyper-obsessed) by an alien race from elsewhere in the galaxy, their objective being to conquer and colonise Earth. These aliens are – as alien would-be conquerors-and-enslavers go – oddly chivalrous and likeable, and not so far removed from humans re processes of the mind, for friendly and empathic interaction to be impossible. In the series, four books about the battle for Earth in the 1940s, between humans and aliens; and three set in the 1960s, when a fragile stalemate situation obtains – the aliens are still on Earth in strength, but Earth’s most technically-advanced nations are still human-run, and have nuclear weapons. There’s a supposedly final seventh book in the series, but universal verdict on that one (including mine) is, that it’s rubbish – author trying hastily to wrap the whole thing up, and failing.

As well as the series, Turtledove has written a fair few stand-alone novels in the same general ballpark: many appear to consider the stand-alones often superior to the series, and I’m rather inclined to agree.

I'm glad there's somebody else who likes old Harry -- he seems to be a bit of a minority taste, with many folk harbouring an extreme distaste and disdain for his stuff.

As I mentioned, his stand-alone novels tend often to be of higher quality than his series. One stand-alone of his which many fans think very well of, but which didn't do it for me, was The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump. I got about two-thirds of the way through it, and then abandoned it in disgust. For me, a painfullly-contrived, contorted premise; and innumerable truly awful puns (Turtledove appears to think himself, mistakenly, the world's master-punster). My opinion remains that there's a lot of "curate's egg" about HT.

Reading the Ghost of flight 401 John G fuller about the everglades plane crash in the early 70's and the ghosts reported on other planes that had recycled parts from 401.

Quite a good read, my first ever Kindle.

Last edited:
I'm looking for recommendations for a scholarly treatment of the Ahnenerbe, and fellow travellers, and their (non) contribution to policy.

I'm on my fourth Alexander Kent novel about Cornish sailor Richard Bolitho, and his progress in the Royal Navy in the late 1700s into the early 1800s. And I have two more waiting to be read, so you can take it I'm a fan!

There's a lot of technical stuff about sails and rigging and gunnery, etc, but there is also a lot of sophisticated stuff about human relationships in warships and ashore, the loyalties and enmities, the loneliness of command, and so forth. But there are also family entanglements and romantic interludes, so it's not all blood and thunder!

It never seems to get 'same old, same old', as the plot twists throw up something unexpected all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Reeman

His pseudonym Alexander Kent was the name of a friend and naval officer who died during the Second World War.[1] Reeman is most famous for his series of Napoleonic naval stories, whose central character is Richard Bolitho, and, later, his nephew, Adam.

The Bolitho novels started in 1975, and went on into 2011, 30 books, so I still have a fair few to search out yet!

Reeman/Kent was aged 90 in the latest Wiki update.

I'm on my fourth Alexander Kent novel about Cornish sailor Richard Bolitho, and his progress in the Royal Navy in the late 1700s into the early 1800s. And I have two more waiting to be read, so you can take it I'm a fan!

There's a lot of technical stuff about sails and rigging and gunnery, etc, but there is also a lot of sophisticated stuff about human relationships in warships and ashore, the loyalties and enmities, the loneliness of command, and so forth. But there are also family entanglements and romantic interludes, so it's not all blood and thunder!

It never seems to get 'same old, same old', as the plot twists throw up something unexpected all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Reeman

His pseudonym Alexander Kent was the name of a friend and naval officer who died during the Second World War.[1] Reeman is most famous for his series of Napoleonic naval stories, whose central character is Richard Bolitho, and, later, his nephew, Adam.

The Bolitho novels started in 1975, and went on into 2011, 30 books, so I still have a fair few to search out yet!

Reeman/Kent was aged 90 in the latest Wiki update.
I love the patrick o'brian aubrey/maturin books and have never found any others that can compete with them, how does kent compare to o'brian?

I love the patrick o'brian aubrey/maturin books and have never found any others that can compete with them, how does kent compare to o'brian?
It's years since I read any O'Brian, although I did rate them highly back then.

But the gap in time means it would be unfair to say now that A is better than B, so I'll settle for saying that they're both good and worth reading. :)

i have ordered the first three of the series, after i had finished the aubrey/maturin series i tried other napoleonic sea fiction, but nothing came close to the humour, storytelling and wonderful writing of o'brian, so i expect to be disapointed

Back