• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

Have you verified these are real books that actually exist?
Yes, they do, I checked. (Good question BTW) They do, and to my pleasant surprise I was advised some that I already know and like:

"Dark Star Rising: Magick and Power in the Age of Trump" by Gary Lachman - While not a biography of a single individual, this book explores the influence of mysticism and esoteric beliefs on contemporary politics and figures like President Donald Trump.

"Madame Blavatsky: The Mother of Modern Spirituality" by Gary Lachman - Helena Petrovna Blavatsky was a controversial figure and a leading mystic and spiritualist of the 19th century who co-founded the Theosophical Society.

"How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence" by Michael Pollan – This book explores the renaissance of psychedelic science and the potential of these substances to improve mental health and enhance our understanding of consciousness.

And I'm starting with this one right now:

"Shaman of Oberstdorf: Chonrad Stoeckhlin and the Phantoms of the Night" by Wolfgang Behringer - This book tells the story of Chonrad Stoeckhlin, a 16th-century herdsman who had strange and terrifying visions of the night world, marking him as a social outcast and a target of witch persecution.

I'm curious if it will be similar to this one, that's also very good:

The Cheese and the Worms (Italian: Il formaggio e i vermi) is a scholarly work by the Italian historian Carlo Ginzburg, published in 1976. The book is a notable example of cultural history, the history of mentalities and microhistory.[1] It is "probably the most popular and widely read work of microhistory".[2]

The study examines the unique religious beliefs and cosmogony of Menocchio (1532–1599), also known as Domenico Scandella, who was an Italian miller from the village of Montereale, twenty-five kilometers north of Pordenone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cheese_and_the_Worms

Have you verified these are real books that actually exist?
This one might be a hallucination of ChatGPT, but it's the only one from the list:

"Carlos Castaneda: The Man, His Work, His Critics" by Ruth L. Bunzel - A biography of the controversial anthropologist and mystic Carlos Castaneda, who introduced the spiritual teachings of a Yaqui Indian sorcerer to the Western world.

This one might be a hallucination of ChatGPT, but it's the only one from the list:

"Carlos Castaneda: The Man, His Work, His Critics" by Ruth L. Bunzel - A biography of the controversial anthropologist and mystic Carlos Castaneda, who introduced the spiritual teachings of a Yaqui Indian sorcerer to the Western world.

With the fear that other posters may not be as diligent with checking as you have been, we'll be adhering to our policy here and deleting any further posts from ChatGPT:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/good-posting-practices.16430/page-6#post-2259132

I haven't read any Stephen King since the appalling Under The Dome killed off half its plot threads and characters rather abruptly. However, I came across The Institute in a charity shop, and not wanting to clog up my already overburdened bookshelves, I downloaded it onto my Kindle. I was pleasantly surprised, although it wasn't particularly original, it did keep me interested, and it was good to see the author back on form.

Saw this book in a bookshop in Delft today. Couldn’t resist buying it. It is gorgeous. I know a lot of weirdness, but much of the book is new for me.

The Theory of Everything Else: A Voyage Into the World of the Weird
Dan Schreiber
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...e?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=NTgOxfugJC&rank=2

For example:
George Michanowsky (born Georgei Ilyich Mikhanovsky; Russian: Гео́ргий Ильи́ч Михано́вский; March 9, 1920 – November 15, 1993) is known for his interpretation of rock art in Bolivia and Mesopotamian artefacts which he interpreted as referring to a supernova explosion in the Vela (constellation) which he dated to about 6000 years ago.[1][2] He is described by Kenn Harper as a having "claimed to be a self-taught archaeologist, linguist, Egyptologist, epigrapher, and expert in Mesopotamian astronomy.[3]

Two very good, bit dense, and thoroughly researched books. The language is good too. This is a writer to follow:

Demons and Spirits of the Land: Ancestral Lore and Practices
Claude Lecouteux
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...d?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=dKNmpt6gLd&rank=1

We quickly realize, on reading such narratives, that our world is haunted by invisible beings and forces, and this opinion persists into the present, which is proven time and again by the folk traditions and beliefs that have been collected up until the very recent past. Spirits loom up everywhere and place-names confirm the existence of mysterious figures, or at least the persistence of their memory. Here we have “Dragon Spring” (for example, the Foun del Drac in Lozère), and there the “Fairy Well” or the “Fountain of the Ladies,” names that evoke the spirits that preside over springs. During the fifteenth century it was almost proverbial to say something was “as naked as a fairy coming out of the water.

The Return of the Dead: Ghosts, Ancestors, and the Transparent Veil of the Pagan Mind
Claude Lecouteux
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7089241-the-return-of-the-dead

True revenants, which is to say the deceased who returned of their own volition for personal reasons, can be divided into two large categories, depending on whether they appeared to men in dreams or when they were awake. A distinction must therefore be made, as in the source material, between corporeal, three-dimensional revenants and the evanescent, immaterial beings known as ghosts. It is also helpful to see the role played by daydreams and dreams in the Middle Ages. Without understanding this, it will be difficult to grasp the reasons compelling the church to intervene in this area—as well as the consequences of that intervention.

While browsing to prepare a lay sermon I discovered that M.R. James of ghost story fame has written a book on New Testament apocrypha!

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Apocryphal_New_Testament_(1924)/Preface

And he criticises this gnostic book, rightly I think:

M. R. James was unimpressed with the work; he wrote that its "mystic diagrams, and numbers, and meaningless collections of letters (...) require a vast deal of historical imagination and sympathy to put oneself in the place of anybody who could tolerate, let alone reverence, the dreary stuff."[3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_Jeu

And the Book of Jeu came from a ChatGPT comment.
I'm too easily distracted ...

I recently read a kindle version of 'The Beetle' by Richard Marsh from 1897, which became a bestseller during the Edwardian era. Probably best to describe the book as an occult horror novel. Includes a savage portrayal of London at the time as quite an inhuman and bleak city....and an Egyptian Pagan death cult are featured. There are attitudes which reflect the fears and prejudices of the time would be challenged today but still enough in the novel to make it an intriguing read.
I wrote up some thoughts about 'The Beetle' on my blog.
https://bleakchesneywold.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-beetle-by-richard-marsh-1897.html

I recently read a kindle version of 'The Beetle' by Richard Marsh from 1897, which became a bestseller during the Edwardian era. Probably best to describe the book as an occult horror novel. Includes a savage portrayal of London at the time as quite an inhuman and bleak city....and an Egyptian Pagan death cult are featured. There are attitudes which reflect the fears and prejudices of the time would be challenged today but still enough in the novel to make it an intriguing read.
https://bleakchesneywold.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-beetle-by-richard-marsh-1897.html

I enjoyed your article/review and shared it on FB and X.

From your synopsis of The Beetle it sounds as if Drood a novel written by Dan Simmons was very much influenced by it. Drood itself is a fictionalized version of the last 5 years of Charles Dickens' life (with some flashbacks) narrated (self-servingly) by Wolkie Collins in which Edwin Drood is a real life character. Also involves an Egyptian Pagan Death Cult. I highly recommend it.

From your synopsis of The Beetle it sounds as if Drood a novel written by Dan Simmons was very much influenced by it. Drood itself is a fictionalized version of the last 5 years of Charles Dickens' life (with some flashbacks) narrated (self-servingly) by Wolkie Collins in which Edwin Drood is a real life character. Also involves an Egyptian Pagan Death Cult. I highly recommend it.
Thank you so much for your support and interest. Appreciated. I will need to check Dan Simmons' work out. I can see a connection !
I don't read a great deal of horror fiction, but earlier this year read Jennifer Renshaw's 'The Parlour Game' which I quite enjoyed. Set in London in 1873.

https://bleakchesneywold.blogspot.com/2023/02/review-of-parlour-game-by-jennifer.html

I enjoyed how the titular Beetle is racially ambiguous being lengthily described in good old-fashioned fin de siecle terminology.

Have read both, don't recall there being too much similarity to be honest.

At least The Beetle doesn't refer to pavements as "sidewalks" though.

I'll have to read The Beetle.

I bookmarked an audio version some time ago, but still haven't listened. There are others on YouTube, but this one is narrated by Greg Wagland, who has a great radio voice. (He read some of the ghost stories released by Penguin Classics on audio cassette in the 90's; bit hard to get hold of these days - but great stuff.)

I think there are four parts in all - you'll find them all on the Sherlock Holmes Stories Magpie Audio account, which I think actually belongs to Wagland.

Les Mots, la Mort, les Sorts (English title : Deadly Words : Witchcraft in the Bocage), by Jeanne Favret Saada

An ethnological study of witchcraft in the late 1960s' French countryside (Mayenne, immediately south of Normandy). It makes an enjoyable read (at least in French), mixing a theory of rural "witchcraft" with local family "tragedies".

As a matter of fact, the author came to be considered as a potential "witch / saviour" by one of the families she was surveying. Among other issues, the husband, a small farmer of the area, was afflicted by erectile problems that no local witch ever managed to cure, much to the despair of his wife. The couple hence saw this unusual parisian academic (the author) as a potential saviour (she had "shaking hands", didn't mock magical beliefs, and looked "strong"), and hence, they told her the full story of their misfortunes (over several years), which enabled Mrs Favret to get an indepth insight of how "bewitching" was perceived among the rurals of that area. By the end of the book, she delivers a general theory of how bewitching was believed to function, as well as an overall vision of this sadly human "case" (the man did not really want to be cured from its ailment, for personal and social reasons you will discover by reading the book).

I won't develop the personal aspects of the case, for the sake of those who would like to delve into this book.

The book starts with the difficulty of collecting ethnological data about witchraft in rural France. People did not want to speak about this topic, because they did not want to appear "backwards" and because talking about it submits one to magical power. Therefore, the reader is led to suspect that the belief in sorcery was widespread, and yet always publicly denied. Hadn't the author mistakenly be taken for a witch healer, she probably wouldn't have been able to collect so much data on the topic.

A second major point is that witchcraft, in this rural area, was mainly seen as a struggle between "strong" and "weak" people. The weak are the ordinary people who tend to their own domain. The strong are those so magically charged with power, that they HAVE to invade their neighbours (otherwise their power will turn against themselves).

Magic isn't a long distance struggle. In Mayenne, it was a territorial affair : the invader (the sorcerer), usually a farmer, spreads his power on his neighbour's land, stealing his health (ilnesses strike the invaded territory) and wealth (the classical churning / stealing of cow's milk). Basically, it is "vampire business". And even though it is not explicitly said in the book (apart from a fleeting mention in the last pages), one can easily see how such beliefs could feed beliefs in vampirism in rural areas (at least in Europe).

Magic works at a clanic / familial level. A whole family targets another (althoug sometimes, sorcerers fight their own family members). The only way for a bewitched person to save her life and farm is to appeal to the help of another "strong" man or woman, who will fight the sorcerer on his behalf. This counter-witch often accuses a local culprit to be the witch without explicitly naming him. For instance, he will say : "the first man who comes to ask you some help he's your sorcerer" (and obviously, this fuels suspicions and hostility within the village). He then ritually fights a battle to the death with the supposed evil-doer. The loser either has to flee or suffer the effects of bewitchment.

Among the phenomena related to bewitchment, I was surprised to find some reports of poltergeist-like activity like walking heard in the attic, even by outsiders, when nobody is ever found there ... But usually, the phenomena are related to cattle epidemics, car accidents, crop/milking failure and various illnesses, whose accumulation, even when "logical" is deemed to signal bewitchment (for instance, a lady had had a car accident which damaged her vertebae. Instead of considering normal her subsequent back pain, she put it on "bewitchment").

Overall a good read. It makes me wonder wether these beliefs are still strong or if they weathered over time. I suspect the triumph of television and the social media got rid of these, but who knows ?

One last note : this is not a book about female witches. Half if not more of the witches described in this book are male, even if the counter-witches are often ladies.

Last edited:
Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger

An Englishman in Tokyo signs up for an intensive course in Aikido. Training alongside the Tokyo Riot Police, the students have to make the tea and scrub the bogs. At the end of the course, if they pass, they should be awarded their black belts.

I haven't read any Stephen King since the appalling Under The Dome killed off half its plot threads and characters rather abruptly. However, I came across The Institute in a charity shop, and not wanting to clog up my already overburdened bookshelves, I downloaded it onto my Kindle. I was pleasantly surprised, although it wasn't particularly original, it did keep me interested, and it was good to see the author back on form.
I kind of grudgingly read 11/22/63 years after its publication because I was not really interested in several of King's novels at that time. It is also a fairly good book. Worth a read imo. Though again, I have not subsequently read any of his more recent novels because I am not as interested in his writing as I used to be.

His son Joe Hill has had a few novels written. I did enjoy his collection 20th Century Ghosts.

Last edited:
I've just finished the five books of the Lockwood & Co. series by Jonathan Stroud, and can recommend them without reservation.

For those who missed the excellent - and tragically short-lived - telly series, the premise is that about 50 years ago, ghosts began to proliferate. They aren't the frightening but essentially harmless woo entities we know: these ghosts can attack, paralyse ("ghost lock") and kill humans. Adults can't deal with them; only children and young people have the ability to detect, confront and end them. Accordingly, numerous large and small psychic detection agencies spring up to combat the threat, the titular Lockwood & Co. being the smallest and newest.

Lockwood_and_Co_poster.jpg

We follow the adventures of Anthony Lockwood (founder), George Cubbins (researcher) and Lucy Carlyle (newest recruit and expert ghost listener) as they battle apparitions, rival agencies, criminals and even the authorities.

It's top stuff, relevant to Forteans and highly enjoyable. Buy all five, because you'll go through them like a dose of salts.

maximus otter

I know this thread is usually about book recommendations, but to be a little contrarian, the material below is a set of requests for information from books.

From a time before the internet, when librarians were the all powerful keepers of wsidom - the living indices for knowledge, one had to ask questions, via cards or telephone calls!

Would welcome recommendations . I understand that 'The Wendigo' and 'The Willows' are rated as Algernon Blackwood's best work.
I have enjoyed listening to 'The Kit Bag'.

Both superb.

I would add 'Secret Worship' and 'Ancient Sorceries', but many of the short short-stories are neat little amuse-bouches, too.

'Accessory Before The Fact' is one such—reminds me a bit of a creepy G.K. Chesterton tale.

'Ancient Lights' has an M.R. James atmosphere.

Would welcome recommendations . I understand that 'The Wendigo' and 'The Willows' are rated as Algernon Blackwood's best work.
I have enjoyed listening to 'The Kit Bag'.

I have read The Willows and The Wendigo. I found his stories in collections of his writing so can't really remember specific stories.

This link to Indigo Chapters (Canadian) lists collections of his work:
https://www.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/algernon-blackwood2/

It's great that his writings are still in print and fairly attainable.

...I would add 'Secret Worship' and 'Ancient Sorceries'...

I'd second both of those choices. There's something quietly horrific about Secret Worship, and something horrifically surreal about Ancient Sorceries.

I've had the former bookmarked for regular listening for a long time now; Hugh Ross has a great radio voice, and one perfectly tuned for Algernon Blackwood, I feel:

I have an aversion to mindless nostalgia - I suspect I've always liked Secret Worship because it somewhat justifies that mindset.

(Hugh Ross did a whole load of shorter Blackwood recordings for BBC Radio 4 some while back, although I think they may have been somewhat abridged. I think I may have seen them on YouTube somewhere as well.)

Thanks ever so much for the Algernon Blackwood recommendations.
Yes I am avoiding abridged versions of his work.

I have found this clip on Youtube claiming to be a recording of Algernon Blackwood. Lasts just under 15 minutes.

Am I the only English speaking person who finds Blackwood really hard to follow and understand?

Back