• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Rather Unwise Tattoo

carcassandra

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm all for defacing your own body with ink and a needle, but this is something else...

metro.co.uk/weird/article.ht ... _page_id=2
Link dead; no archived version available.

Apologies if everyone's seen this already.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought on tattoos has always been about their permanence - it's quite tricky to wake up one morning, decide you don't like them any more and then try to undo them. And that's clearly the case here.

I just hope that this guy was sober when he dreamt up this idea, and not... er, out of his skull at the time!

Seriously, if ever there was an appropriate time to scream from the rooftops "Less is more!", it would be when meeting this man. Impressive, certainly. Clever? Almost certainly not.

Tell him it's not anatomically correct. Then he will feel a right fool.
:roll:

If you were an employer looking for workers (skilled or otherwise), how would you feel about meeting this face in a job interview?

(Unless you you run a freak show, of course....!)

Another one who couldn't find anything more constructive to do with their time....

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/p ... 694/1.html
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that might be a bit harsh. Granted it seems peculiar, but I've often wondered whether at least some people who get multiple tattoos/body mods have something akin to a form of body dysmorphic disorder, and so have a compulsion to have these things done.
*This is where I start to sound like a loon, but bear with me :) * Certainly over the course of several years when I had my tattoos and piercings done, I had very strong feelings that part of me was missing or incomplete until the work was done. The best way I can describe it was that I felt like a jigsaw with a bit that hadn't been put in - once I had the tattoo done, the jigsaw was completed (at least for a while). With each one, I got a kind of intense ache for weeks, which only stopped once the mod was done, on that spot. Now, 5 tattoos and 2 piercings later, I feel like a complete person.

You'r right. A grafitti artist I know gave me a very similar expalnation as to why he kept doing it despite hundreds of pounds in court fines.

I can see the thinking there, but whereas the graffiti 'artist' may take the decision himself to continue creating art/committing criminal damage, the body-modification fan has to get a practitioner to do it for them.

There may be an ethical argument that if a professional doesn't do it for them, they'll do it themselves, but that applies to medical procedures (such as abortion) rather than self-decoration.

A tattooist who colludes in an individual's delusions to the point of disfiguring their face is irresponsible.

Here in England, tattoists have to register with the local authority and I don't think they'd keep their licences for long if they started behaving lke that.

Incidenatlly, no tattooist that I've ever met would work on a client's face.

Well, this was what staggered me about this story, not that someone would ask for it so much as that someone would agree to do the work!

Oh, I think it's marvelous that he's found a way of distracting attention away from his acne. :roll:

A tube of pimple cream might've been cheaper, though.

That catman dude says that he is part Lakota, part Huron and that the tiger is his tribe's totem........forgive me if I'm wrong , but are there any tigers that are native to North America ? :?

Sssshhh, don't tell him that. Cost him a fortune in Tippex. ;)

myf13 said:
Certainly over the course of several years when I had my tattoos and piercings done, I had very strong feelings that part of me was missing or incomplete until the work was done.
I've a classmate who once rushed into the room, gave me a cup of coffee, in a great bluster, explaining she'd bought it but didn't want it, and ran out the building and across the road to get another star tattooed on her arm. Apparently she'd been "fighting the urge" all day, but gave in, and had to go and get it done. (un?)fortunately, the parlour was too busy at the time, and so she reconsidered.

escargot1 said:
A tattooist who colludes in an individual's delusions to the point of disfiguring their face is irresponsible.

Agreed. But board-certified plastic surgeons who transform their clients (literally) into Barbie and Ken, or who re-build and re-build Michael Jackson's nose, don't face sanctions for doing so.

Incidenatlly, no tattooist that I've ever met would work on a client's face.

Don't British tattooists "color in" whitish surgical scars and/or congenital blemishes on the face? They do here in the States (and I assume Canada).

Years ago I used to regularly run into a young married couple on the local streets - husband handsome, wife attractive, regulation two kids in tow.

All perfectly normal.

Except for the wife's....HANDS.

Her rather small hands were entirely - and I DO mean entirely - covered with Roman Catholic religious artwork. Crucifixes, religious icons, blood-dripping Sacred Hearts, Jesus, Mary, the saints. And the artwork was truly exquisite stuff, expertly done, near to musem quality.

And, no, I never learned the reason. I entertain a fairly educated guess, but only that.

OldTimeRadio said:
escargot1 said:

Agreed. But board-certified plastic surgeons who transform their clients (literally) into Barbie and Ken, or who re-build and re-build Michael Jackson's nose, don't face sanctions for doing so.
We know a plastic surgeon, and his attitude to both his colleagues and tattoo artists is that the best ones are the ones who will say "No", regardless of the money on offer.

OldTimeRadio said:
Don't British tattooists "color in" whitish surgical scars and/or congenital blemishes on the face? They do here in the States (and I assume Canada).
Well, if the blemish is very bad, that's often done by a cosmetic surgeon on the NHS (and therefore for free.) There used a tattooist near me who advertised remedial work though: he "repaired" bad tattoos.

OldTimeRadio said:
Years ago I used to regularly run into a young married couple on the local streets - husband handsome, wife attractive, regulation two kids in tow.

All perfectly normal.

Except for the wife's....HANDS.

Her rather small hands were entirely - and I DO mean entirely - covered with Roman Catholic religious artwork. Crucifixes, religious icons, blood-dripping Sacred Hearts, Jesus, Mary, the saints. And the artwork was truly exquisite stuff, expertly done, near to musem quality.

And, no, I never learned the reason. I entertain a fairly educated guess, but only that.

That's, er, unusual! What's your educated guess?

carcassandra said:
That's, er, unusual! What's your educated guess?

That at some time during her late teens or early Twenties she came down with a raging case of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), wholly unexpectedly, and without having the slightest clue as to what was actually happening to her.

She was certain that she was going crazy, becoming insane....either that or she was demon-possessed. (As a general rule, OCD tends to hit Roman Catholics harder than other people.)

This was accompanied by an extremely strong though entirely erroneous feeling (I hestitate to use the word "delusion" for a neurosis) that she would commit crimes or hurt other people with her hands.

Hence those "talismanic" tattoos.

Eventually she took these problems to a psychiatrist or a psychologist. or her family general practitioner, or even to a good pastoral counsellor well-grounded in modern psychology, who explained to her that she had a fairly garden-variety neurosis affecting two to four percent of the population. She certainly wasn't "crazy." She may have been given a prescription tranquilizer (probably Librium - there were no specific OCD psych meds at the time), although the relief of knowing that she wasn't "insane" may have been tranquilizer enough.

You just had to ask, didn't you carcassandra. That'll learn you.

Frobush said:
You just had to ask, didn't you carcassandra. That'll learn you.

The other explanation is that she was abducted by aliens from Strontium Sx and they did the tatooing work.

Its certainly very well done.

And im sure its a great conversation piece.

Imagine turning over in bed after a good night and thinking, hello, looks like I pulled... :D

... and then catching sight of - that.

You'd think you were back on the Roadkill thread. :shock:

escargot1 said:
Imagine turning over in bed after a good night and thinking, hello, looks like I pulled... :D

... and then catching sight of - that.

You'd think you were back on the Roadkill thread. :shock:

Skinist!

And besides, I bet there are a more than a few Goth girls who would be thinking "result"!!

Back