• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
People react oddly when I say I still play video games. It's as if they think I should stop doing it now I'm over 60.
Why? If you act young, you may stay young.
Ditto. In as much as I still play video games at 61. I’ve been wading through Starfield recently and have gone back to Assassin’s Creed to finish it off.
I played games with the kids when they were younger, and now in their 30’s and 40’s they buy me games for birthdays etc.
When I was in Russia in 97 I used part of my allowance to buy a chipped PlayStation. Ripoff games were about £1 each. My Soviet tv in the flat couldn’t connect to the console, so I brought it home with probably 50 to 60 games for the kids to enjoy.

I love playing games although I’m shying away from new AAA titles as they usually cost too much, arrive broken and need updates and day one patches at launch and are continually begging for more cash out of you for DLC or stupid skins.
I played Starfield and got through the story to the next couple of multiverse incarnations and found the Constellation people irredeemably insufferable and you can’t even eject them into space.
Amelia Earhart is a good companion at first but her cute homespun Gee Willikers comments (What’s shakin’ Bacon?) grate after a while. I did marry Sarah on my first life even though she came across as a rather dry and crusty English Teacher who basically spends her time admonishing you for having a cool time. She’s such a Fun Suck. Then I married sexy Andrea and had her around on missions and noticed she walks like a constipated man. My favourite character is Donna Rain who’s the janitor at the metro station. She’s just an NPC and she’s got a boyfriend called Tony. I hate Tony. I’m much better than Tony. If they wanted to improve the game, I’d suggest beefing up Donna’s role and have a different and more interesting quest path if you choose her.
Any road up. This put me off modern games so I went back to Red Dead Redemption 2 - which is the best game ever made and then back to Red Dead Redemption which I’ve parked for Fallout New Vegas. I just recruited a robot and reprogrammed it to be a sexbot called Fisto for a paying client.
You won’t find any of THAT sort of thing in Starfield - or anything else interesting for that matter.

Did I mention I’m well old and love games?

A man of taste.

Baldurs Gate 1-3 *
Neverwinter Nights 1-2 *
Assassins Creed (all)
Elder Scrolls Arena to Skyrim*
Fallout all of them I think :)
Dragon Age (1-3) *
Pillars of Eternity (1-2)
Planescape:Torment
King's Bounty all, including the nonsequential 3!
Witcher 1-3
Drakensang 1-?3
Mass Effect 1-3
Portal
Thief all

* means I'm actively involved in writing mods.

Any good @Mythopoeika @Analogue Boy ?

Baldurs Gate 1-3 *
Neverwinter Nights 1-2 *
Assassins Creed (all)
Dragon Age (1-3) *
Witcher 1-3
Drakensang 1-?3
Mass Effect 1-3
Portal
Thief all

Well, that beats me! I'm a lightweight.

Elite Dangerous
Assassin’s Creed Origins, Oddysey, Black Flag, Valhalla.
No Man’s Sky
Skyrim
Fallout
Wolfenstein
Red Dead and Red Dead 2
Dead Space
And many, many more.

Baldurs Gate 1-3 *
Neverwinter Nights 1-2 *
Assassins Creed (all)
Dragon Age (1-3) *
Witcher 1-3
Drakensang 1-?3
Mass Effect 1-3
Portal
Thief all

Nice collection. Portal’s a classic.

I suspect I'm older than the rest of the posters above - 70 years old, and I still play computer games. RPG's are my special weakness. I got sucked in by the old Might and Magic series, and they remain sentimental favorites, but any RPG will do.

My wife was chatting with some friends the other day. She commented that her sister had asked her 'Why do you two always seem so young?' She thought about it for a moment and then replied 'It's because we're both so immature!'

I think she was right.

It was once argued that this saying came from Australia or Alaska, but “ a one dog night, or two dog night, or even a three dog night “ was to indicate how many dogs to take to bed in order to keep warm.

In my area, the elderly locals still use this winter’s expression, and even my parents used to say this to us when we kids.
Yeah...I sleep with two dogs at the mo - just not under the blanket. (mugshots of the culprits)

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221015_083937.jpg
    20221015_083937.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm well again, thankfully, but I find myself incredibly frustrating - I still spend ages most days looking for band/music-related t-shirts, badges etc to buy, as if I were young. I know there are legitimate reasons for this exasperating mindset, and it's not merely a case of me refusing to act my age, but nevertheless I feel like a strange or immature person.
I adore my Totoro tshirts Steven...All Daughters call me a nerd for some reason, but still watch my collection of Studio Ghibli If I put them on.

Bruce Willis movie Tshirts, SciFi tees, and my favourite is my Pengu Tee (it says 'noot noot M*****F*****'s).

P.S. Strange is good.

Back