• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I’m guessing a couple of us may have experienced this first hand. My reaction is not sadness it has closed but astonishment it lasted so long.

Durham disco named the worst in Europe closes down after 50 years as Dominic Cummings (who used to work there) pays tribute to 'the best nightclub outside Moscow'​

• Klute, known for its sticky dancefloors and cheesy tunes, shut on April 20

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13357283/Durham-disco-worst-Europe-Dominic-Cummings.html

Yes indeed! Klute was a mainstay when I was a teenager in the 1970s. I preferred the Rowing Club although I have never been keen on Northern Soul. Then I discovered motorbikes and pubs at about 13 and never went to either venue again.

Yes indeed! Klute was a mainstay when I was a teenager in the 1970s. I preferred the Rowing Club although I have never been keen on Northern Soul. Then I discovered motorbikes and pubs at about 13 and never went to either venue again.
Isn't Klute a quick acting poison from the Jack Vance universe?

Vid at link.

Watch: Spitfire flypast for UK's oldest WW2 veteran​

The UK's oldest World War Two veteran has been honoured with a flypast from a Spitfire.
Donald Rose, aged 109, was joined by hundreds of people at the Canal Vue Care Home in Ilkeston, Derbyshire, as the iconic aircraft flew past.
The Spitfire, which was taking part in the Royal Air Force's Battle of Britain memorial flight, dipped its wings to show respect to Mr Rose when it passed by.
"It means a lot for me because I've never had anything like this in my whole life," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-68970785

It's been four busy days. Dentist, then routine breast cancer screening, then routine smear test, then optician.

One clean bill of health, two now waiting on results. And the very early stages of cataracts in one eye :(

You have been busy Possum.

At least it's now all done and I can sleep under a couple of cats* for a while! The garden is full of blossom and in between showers I'm out there soaking up the scents and feeling very chilled :)

*both cats being now rather mature they spend a lot of time asleep and are most amenable to being scooped up and positioned elsewhere, especially if a human that radiates body heat is involved!

Last edited:
It was once argued that this saying came from Australia or Alaska, but “ a one dog night, or two dog night, or even a three dog night “ was to indicate how many dogs to take to bed in order to keep warm.

In my area, the elderly locals still use this winter’s expression, and even my parents used to say this to us when we kids.

I've been really starting to feel my age these past couple months. I'm only middle aged, but I really can't imagine being old at the rate my body is deteriorating. I'm beginning to think the live-fast-die-young crowd were onto something.

I've been really starting to feel my age these past couple months. I'm only middle aged, but I really can't imagine being old at the rate my body is deteriorating. I'm beginning to think the live-fast-die-young crowd were onto something.
I know that my energy levels definitely had dropped notably from quite a while back, but since the weather has picked up for the better (Sunny wise), I feel back to normal again. Might have something to do with the jabs depleting some energy/mood levels all-be-it temporarily, "so keep at it!"

I'm also feeling a lot better now that the sun is out. The miserable winter (and, to be honest, most of last summer too) did nothing for the energy levels. But I'm still taking it easy - my excuse is that I ran the 10k, so I'm allowed a few days off, so I'm running alternate days this week rather than every day.

I think some gardening beckons today now we've got sunshine. However, I've planted some new things up and they probably need watering, but I'm not sure I can stand there with a hosepipe after all the rain we've had, not without clenching my teeth and bitter resentment coming out of every pore.

I'm well again, thankfully, but I find myself incredibly frustrating - I still spend ages most days looking for band/music-related t-shirts, badges etc to buy, as if I were young. I know there are legitimate reasons for this exasperating mindset, and it's not merely a case of me refusing to act my age, but nevertheless I feel like a strange or immature person.

We have a 13 week old puppy and after 4 years without a dog you forget how lively puppies are! It certainly makes us forget any age related aches or pains, as we are too busy dealing with the needle sharp teeth and claws!

I still spend ages most days looking for band/music-related t-shirts, badges etc to buy, as if I were young.

Stop being ageist! :chuckle:

Seriously, why limit people like this? People carry on being into the things they used to be into. I'm not going to stop doing laser hunts until I can no longer make myself a sniper nest!

I know there are legitimate reasons for this exasperating mindset, and it's not merely a case of me refusing to act my age, but nevertheless I feel like a strange or immature person.
What is "acting your age" mean? Just a question I think when I hear this phrase.

While we all have more responsibilities as we age, people still need to have fun and silliness in their lives.

I sing out loud when I hear a good song, and if the (store broadcasted) music is really good, I dance to it. I never did this as a kid as I was too shy, but I later learned that if you enjoy doing something and it hurts no one, but may be outside of how you SHOULD act, who cares?

We only have one life and why not be a little joyful at times? There are too many people who take themselves way too seriously.

Damn it, and I thought it was upwards and onwards from here on in!
Well unless you believe that you may be reincarnated, but I have considered this, and as (1) I don't want to come back to this world and (2) if there is reincarnation, my luck would be such that I would probably be allowed to return as a gnat, well, I prefer the one life idea:nods:

Well unless you believe that you may be reincarnated, but I have considered this, and as (1) I don't want to come back to this world and (2) if there is reincarnation, my luck would be such that I would probably be allowed to return as a gnat, well, I prefer the one life idea:nods:
I don't think any of us will get the chance to have the choice, one way or the other?

I'm beginning to think the live-fast-die-young crowd were onto something.
I often find myself thinking that if I'd seen what life was going to be like when I'd got to my 70's I wouldn't have taken such good care to get here! A few more risks and if they didn't pay off at least I'd have spared myself this! Triple A is how I feel ie Angry, Achey and Alienated.

I still spend ages most days looking for band/music-related t-shirts, badges etc to buy, as if I were young.
Good for you Steven! Enjoy it and don't get exasperated with yourself! This is an order of the 'do as I say not as I do' variety by the way! :) Seeing your post has reminded me to take my own advice!

It was once argued that this saying came from Australia or Alaska, but “ a one dog night, or two dog night, or even a three dog night “ was to indicate how many dogs to take to bed in order to keep warm.

In my area, the elderly locals still use this winter’s expression, and even my parents used to say this to us when we kids.
Yeah...I sleep with two dogs at the mo - just not under the blanket. (mugshots of the culprits)

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20221015_083937.jpg
    20221015_083937.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 12
I'm well again, thankfully, but I find myself incredibly frustrating - I still spend ages most days looking for band/music-related t-shirts, badges etc to buy, as if I were young. I know there are legitimate reasons for this exasperating mindset, and it's not merely a case of me refusing to act my age, but nevertheless I feel like a strange or immature person.
I adore my Totoro tshirts Steven...All Daughters call me a nerd for some reason, but still watch my collection of Studio Ghibli If I put them on.

Bruce Willis movie Tshirts, SciFi tees, and my favourite is my Pengu Tee (it says 'noot noot M*****F*****'s).

P.S. Strange is good.

Back