• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I turn 34 in two days.

I can feel the Reaper approaching in the distance.

However, I am a transhumanist, so hopefully I'll become an Electronic Old Man.
That idea actually scares me. I would rather be dead and nothing else. I am rather a cynic though try not to be, so an optimistic cynic. Is that possible?

I turn 34 in two days.

I can feel the Reaper approaching in the distance.

However, I am a transhumanist, so hopefully I'll become an Electronic Old Man.
I thought you were making a joke. 34, still wet behind the ears. If you feel the reaper at that young age you are doing something wrong, or too much.

I think medicine today is better in putting people to sleep in the hospital.

Having been put to sleep in 1950 at age 4 with ether was absolutely beyond terrifying, but again I think kids having their tonsils out was a real “ 1950s thing “.

There was an American sitcom called “ Leave it to Beaver “, where the young child nicknamed Beaver wanted his tonsils out to be like his friends who had their tonsils out.

The Brady Bunch TV show also had an episode where Cindy and Carol had to have their tonsils out.
In the early 60's one of my ex husband's siblings (there were 6 of kids in that family) got tonsilitis so the Arse of a doctor (I say that because he had no consideration for their mother) scheduled all 6 kids to get their tonsils out on the same day! Can you imagine, and this was not the olden days when the doctor did it on your kitchen table like when my mother was a child. I had my tonsils out when I was 3 in the 50's. The only reason my daughter got her tonsils out at 3 was that they were chronically swollen so that she was in danger of choking on them, but by the 80's doctors were not in a hurry to take tonsils out. I don't know about now.

I went to a friends 90th birthday party and told him I was impressed that he had been retired for 22 years.

I asked him how he felt, and always being the joker he said he was never smart and he couldn’t really tell me.

But this always puts the same question in my mind is genetics the reason why some people seem to keep going along without too many problems ?

My older brother died young with cancer.

My young sister is fighting poor blood circulation where she is always cold with blue fingers.

And of course, I am diabetic.

What determines one’s health ?
I think the answer to that has too many parameters to list, genetics, diet, exercise or lack thereof, environment, stress, mentality, etc. Your mental state does affect your health along with many other factors.

My mother died of cancer at 78, her younger sister died of a different cancer at 42, her older sister just turned 89 and is living with me as her children are hateful addicts. I want her to be ok. In my dad's family there are 5 of 9 left, my dad died at 88. One of his sisters died of COPD, and respiratory issues, another from lung cancer. The youngest brother died just a few months ago from Covid. He was only 73 and still working the ranch. The oldest just turned 91. Maybe we all punch a ticket for a specific ride, maybe it is chance.

I think the answer to that has too many parameters to list, genetics, diet, exercise or lack thereof, environment, stress, mentality, etc. Your mental state does affect your health along with many other factors.
I agree. But there are people who smoke like chimneys, drink like fish and eat un-healthy food, but live to a good old age and others who are 'health freaks' and die young. I definitely think that the environment you live in plays a major part though. If you're not happy with where you live then the knock-on effect from that causes many other health issues IMO, but you could still maybe live a long time, but be unhappy until the end anyway.

I was happiest when living on top of a mountain in Israel with hardly any possessions, no tv/mobile/internet/car and very little money. There was a tv but only 2 channels anyway. (Probably watched an hour or two a week, at most). Of course, the climate played a big part in my enjoyment of that life.

I agree. But there are people who smoke like chimneys, drink like fish and eat un-healthy food, but live to a good old age and others who are 'health freaks' and die young. I definitely think that the environment you live in plays a major part though. If you're not happy with where you live then the knock-on effect from that causes many other health issues IMO, but you could still maybe live a long time, but be unhappy until the end anyway.

I was happiest when living on top of a mountain in Israel with hardly any possessions, no tv/mobile/internet/car and very little money. There was a tv but only 2 channels anyway. (Probably watched an hour or two a week, at most). Of course, the climate played a big part in my enjoyment of that life.
I think genetics is probably the main factor. My Nan had ten sisters and they all smoked for fifty plus years of their lives. They didn’t worry about their diets,it wasn’t really a thing then. Plus they were living in real poverty,they were all born in the 1910s/1920s in London slums .None of them were real drinkers just the occasional tipple. They all lived into their nineties apart from the eleventh sister who died from TB when she was a child.
I’ve got a friend whose male members of his family have all died young (pre sixties) and he’s getting a bit concerned as he’s 55 now.

My Mum has a friend called Violet. She's aged 101 and in amazing condition, with no major illnesses to speak of.
Somebody recently asked her what was the secret to a long life, and she answered 'cake and biscuits'.
:D

I think genetics is probably the main factor. My Nan had ten sisters and they all smoked for fifty plus years of their lives. They didn’t worry about their diets,it wasn’t really a thing then. Plus they were living in real poverty,they were all born in the 1910s/1920s in London slums .None of them were real drinkers just the occasional tipple. They all lived into their nineties apart from the eleventh sister who died from TB when she was a child.
I’ve got a friend whose male members of his family have all died young (pre sixties) and he’s getting a bit concerned as he’s 55 now.
Yes and it amazes me how anybody survived those conditions in that period let alone before that time. I think it really was a case of survival of the fittest. And before antibiotics etc, most people must have been in constant pain to some extent.

I am 64 shortly and this has just arrived in my Facebook newsfeed....

Did nobody check it beforehand and consider.... 'hang on a minute...'.

Screenshot_20220425-163404~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-163404~3.jpg

Having been put to sleep in 1950 at age 4 with ether was absolutely beyond terrifying, but again I think kids having their tonsils out was a real “ 1950s thing “.
My experience was totally the opposite to yours!

I had my tonsils out in our newly created(1948) NHS here in the UK in 1954 when I was five. I was so excited to be going to hospital and to be getting a ride in car from someone in the village, not many people had them in those days. My mum handed me over at reception and I skipped down the corridor holding the nurse's hand without a backwards glance!

Being anaesthetised was no problem for me as I interpreted the sensation of the mask being put over my face as a teddy bear and teddy bears are a good thing. They asked if I could count and I said proudly that I could and they said 'have a go at counting backwards'. I was up for the challenge and I remember saying some numbers and then asking 'what comes next' but I'm not sure how far I got!

I can remember coming round and calling the nurse as I was worried about all the blood on my pillow. All through the night some of the other children in the ward kept crying, I didn't but I was wondering where the teddy had gone.

In the morning the ward gradually emptied until it was just one nurse and me (still no sign of the friendly teddy :( ). A porter came by and gave me some ice cream after the nurse gave permission.

Eventually I was called for and I couldn't wait to tell my mum about the teddy. It was years before I'd believe it was actually a mask!

I'm so glad I didn't have any of the experiences mentioned up thread. For me it was my first big adventure away from familly on my own, it was brilliant, the ride on the trolley and everything!

Both of may parents had high blood pressure and diabetes.

I always figured I didn’t have a chance and that fact seemed to come true as I have high blood pressure and diabetes.

I guess before one marries someone, a honest discussion about family health problems should be talked about for their future children.

But love is blind, and family genetics is probably not on the mind of two people only thinking about love.

Knowing family genetics is a good health tool.

I think most doctors today have you fill out a family background sheet.

My realisation of 'old' age, apart from making involuntary noises every time I move or talking to myself in shops, has to be music. I've reached that age of non compliance with new music - it's all rubbish.

When I was a kid in the 70's I knew of the Beatles but they seemed really ancient and black and white. I didn't comprehend that they only split up just four years before I was born. The Beatles were not 'in my life' (see what I did there) whereas Iron Maiden definitely were and now they are thirty to forty odd years in the distance. I know they are still going, but my days of Heavy Metal are limited now to nostalgia bouts and very little to no head banging. Nowadays, I love them both, but much prefer The Beatles. I've matured... ish.

I'm also grumpy, but reaching that age (just one year off the big 50) where it is acceptable. Not sure when I'm supposed to start being racist though... ;)

Both of may parents had high blood pressure and diabetes.

I always figured I didn’t have a chance and that fact seemed to come true as I have high blood pressure and diabetes.

I guess before one marries someone, a honest discussion about family health problems should be talked about for their future children.

But love is blind, and family genetics is probably not on the mind of two people only thinking about love.

I think most doctors today have you fill out a family background sheet.
After I had my heart attack in 2018 I had to see the consultant at Harefield hospital. He asked me about diet,lifestyle and family history. He told me that family history overrides everything when it comes to the likelihood of having a heart attack.
Luckily heart attacks aren’t a thing in our family but doesn’t bode for my wife as most of her family especially the females have died from or had heart attacks.

I once split up from a boyfriend because his sister wasn't very bright and had five children none of whom were quite 'all there' so to speak! Of course I didn't give that as the real reason and came up with a less hurtful excuse.

Not sure when I'm supposed to start being racist though... ;)
Hasn't happened to me yet and I'm in my early 70's!

The grumpiness ... well as you can see from my avatar info I'm still working on that one!

My realisation of 'old' age, apart from making involuntary noises every time I move or talking to myself in shops, has to be music. I've reached that age of non compliance with new music - it's all rubbish.

When I was a kid in the 70's I knew of the Beatles but they seemed really ancient and black and white. I didn't comprehend that they only split up just four years before I was born. The Beatles were not 'in my life' (see what I did there) whereas Iron Maiden definitely were and now they are thirty to forty odd years in the distance. I know they are still going, but my days of Heavy Metal are limited now to nostalgia bouts and very little to no head banging. Nowadays, I love them both, but much prefer The Beatles. I've matured... ish.

I'm also grumpy, but reaching that age (just one year off the big 50) where it is acceptable. Not sure when I'm supposed to start being racist though... ;)
OMG, I'm so sorry!

I don't think is going to happen to me now; I've just turned 52 and I rarely listen to any music form my youth; nearly everything I listen to now is less than 10 years old, there's a lot of great new music around! As I often say, it's not the fault of old music; Unreqvited has heard Black Sabbath, Black Sbabath could never have heard Unreqvited :)

I find older music pretty boring and bland TBH! But then, I think Slayer are dad rock, so no-one should take any notice of my opinions XD

OMG, I'm so sorry!

I don't think is going to happen to me now; I've just turned 52 and I rarely listen to any music form my youth; nearly everything I listen to now is less than 10 years old, there's a lot of great new music around! As I often say, it's not the fault of old music; Unreqvited has heard Black Sabbath, Black Sbabath could never have heard Unreqvited :)

I find older music pretty boring and bland TBH! But then, I think Slayer are dad rock, so no-one should take any notice of my opinions XD
Sad Truth is, Slayer are Granddad rock - hits even harder with Sanatogen!

I'm trying to ignore the power of genetics as both my grandmothers were dead at a younger age than me. My dad's mum died in her early 50s (stroke) mum's mum died at 47(cancer). My mum also died at 47 (asthma). Maybe a curse! I've made it past although for the entire year I was 47, people in the family kept asking me if I'd realised my mum and her mum died at 47...

I try really hard not to think about past events in my life that make me angry.

I really try to live in the present and try to wake up on a happy side.

I know burying the past is hard to do.
There's a lot to be said for the Buddhist philosophy of living in the present! Way easier said than done...

Hasn't happened to me yet and I'm in my early 70's!

The grumpiness ... well as you can see from my avatar info I'm still working on that one!
:cheer:I am working on becoming a curmudgeonly person who says what I want without embarrassment. Not that I'm intentionally rude without cause, but when needs must, I say what I think. Too many insensitive people splurt out stupid comments to others to hurt and insult just because they don't think there are consequences and others will stay quiet. Nope. My goal in life is to not stay quiet.

Brownmane,

You and my wife would probably get along fine, but in my wife’s older age I think she is starting to get a little quiet.

Meeting another friendly female who wants to talk gets my wife’s adrenaline going.

:cheer:I am working on becoming a curmudgeonly person who says what I want without embarrassment. Not that I'm intentionally rude without cause, but when needs must, I say what I think. Too many insensitive people splurt out stupid comments to others to hurt and insult just because they don't think there are consequences and others will stay quiet. Nope. My goal in life is to not stay quiet.
Heh. I'm finding that my age and realtive indifference to losing my job makes me the only person who's prepared to say "This is not a good idea and it will go wrong", although I occasionally re-phrase this if I think there's a serious chance I can change minds. I find it interesting that some people can't deal with a person who just doesn't kowtow, not as a oppositional thing, but as an indiffernce to a priori assumptions of status. I assume this is age related...:cool2:

Heh. I'm finding that my age and realtive indifference to losing my job makes me the only person who's prepared to say "This is not a good idea and it will go wrong", although I occasionally re-phrase this if I think there's a serious chance I can change minds. I find it interesting that some people can't deal with a person who just doesn't kowtow, not as a oppositional thing, but as an indiffernce to a priori assumptions of status. I assume this is age related...:cool2:
I don't think it's some people though, I think it's most people. I am amazed by the attitude of keeping yer gob shut when the outcome of most actions or inactions is so predictable. I thought it was just me. Lost count of the number of times when I was working people came to me and said wish I had listened to you. As you say, not being negative just perceptive.

@brownmane @Coal @charliebrown @PeteS - I don't know about other countries, but the Israelis and French (or certainly the Parisians) are often thought of as being rude/arrogant, when in actual fact they just don't like 'fake politeness', that, let's be honest, the British and Americans are very good at. It takes some getting used to, but I much prefer it compared to pointless conversations that people have with acquaintances and even strangers, where they aren't really interested in you, but feel that they have to at least pretend to be. It gets very fatiguing.

Most of my parents' families died in their 60's, yet my parents lived into their late 80's. This despite the fact that my dad smoked and drank for the best part of 70 years, yet never had a day in hospital and my mother liked a drink as well. Having got through the war unscathed they had a fairly comfortable existence and environment, with virtually no really life problems, which must have contributed to their extended life. I've never thought of it that way before until you brought the subject up. You've perhaps solved a life mystery for me!

Wake up call for me this morning. I woke up at 05:00 with chest pains that won’t go. Thought it may be wind, but nothing cleared it. I’m currently sat in Warrington General after being ferried here by the paramedics. 2 ECGs have come back ok. I’m now waiting for them to take some blood.

The hospital is rammed. I’ve never seen so many people on stretchers in the corridors. Many of them pensioners with bandaged heads.

Wake up call for me this morning. I woke up at 05:00 with chest pains that won’t go. Thought it may be wind, but nothing cleared it. I’m currently sat in Warrington General after being ferried here by the paramedics. 2 ECGs have come back ok. I’m now waiting for them to take some blood.

The hospital is rammed. I’ve never seen so many people on stretchers in the corridors. Many of them pensioners with bandaged heads.

62-624490_transparent-fingers-crossed-png-small-finger-crossed-emoji.png

maximus otter

GWS, mate. Positive vibes getting your way.

Back