• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
If you are on good terms with your siblings that is super great.

I have seen when siblings are crazy to each other.

When there is money involved then it is almost going to war.
Yep. My sister and I are close but our brother is not that close to either of us anymore. He married some weird anti-social woman who constantly criticizes everyone in the family. So it isn't him, except that he allows her to do it and it often is to our faces with him standing right there.

I'm not that close to my sisters.
A couple of weeks ago the youngest rang and said that our middle sister was down from Queensland and they were coming around for coffee.
I raced around and set up cakes and biscuits and got the cups ready for coffee.
When they came they said they didn't want anything as they'd just had lunch and they only stayed a short time.
Maybe it's because I lead a fairly quiet life and they are always off on holidays.
I hear from my cousins more.

Yep. My sister and I are close but our brother is not that close to either of us anymore. He married some weird anti-social woman who constantly criticizes everyone in the family. So it isn't him, except that he allows her to do it and it often is to our faces with him standing right there.
Had similar myself. Brother married someone who strongly reminded me of a British woman called Tracie Andrews, who famously stabbed her fiancé to death and tried to blame it on a stranger in a road-rage incident.

Last year my mother quoted me back to myself about Sis-in-Law - 'She'll kill him. She'll kill him, one day.'

I remember thinking that but not saying it out loud! :chuckle:

Siblings are weird - I have a sister who is a professor in Japan who neither I nor my other sister have spoken to for 40 years, all happened when my mother died and Japan sister rang solicitor to say (as she was quite wealthy) that she wanted nothing from the will and the money, property etc. (which wasn't vast) could go to me and my younger sister, which was when the solicitor had to inform her she was excluded from the will with a statement specifically saying why! This lead to vast family row with my sister blaming me and my other sibling (although neither of us had ever seen or knew about this will!).

When my sisters visited, my friend's husband, who had been sent down to deliver some cakes and pick up some magazines for his wife was about to get into his car and he told them that I was home.
Apparently they looked at each other in a funny way and he was very amused.' When they came in they smirked and said :' Oh sorry, we scared off your friend" and gave me a funny look, even though I explained.
My friend rang me later as her husband had told her and we roared with laughter.
I thought then how little my sisters know of me.

I've no siblings but Mrs T has a brother who was always a bit "faddy" however his wife is some sort of food health nut and there is always some new thing they are not eating/drinking/applying. She spends most of her time telling everyone about everything Mrs T's brother has done wrong (marrying her IMHO). I'm not one to talk but they both look unhealthy.

They have a daughter who is pleasant but doesn't seem to have any interests in anything, she may say a few words about somewhere they've visited on holiday but that's about it. I've tried to find a topic that she will talk about but no luck. She has married an Asian guy who by contrast is interested in all sorts; history, science, literature, etc.

Difficult to say whether I would have liked to have a sibling or not. I suppose if they were anything like me the answer would be, no! :evillaugh:

Not recognizing by doctors, I suffered “Middle Child Syndrome”.

Your birth place will determine your personality down to the way you sleep at nigh.

My older brother was first born and you would think he was “King”.

My younger sister was always my parents’s baby.

Me, well I was just there.

I wonder how it works if there are four siblings?

Would it be 1 against 3 or 2 versus 2 ?

Your birth place will determine your personality down to the way you sleep at nigh.

I grew up the oldest of 4 but our family was not normal, my youngest brother was not babied, he was ignored. I was expected to be the responsible one and I was, I catch myself with knee jerk behavior of making sure everyone is ok even when I shouldn't. My cousins grew up with 4 in their family and the oldest was a boy, he had 3 sisters and the oldest sister was the responsible one. Her younger sister was treated as their parent's baby, the middle sister was a goofball and more like their mother, afraid of what people thought.

My mother was the middle child of 3 girls. What is middle child syndrome? Maybe my mom had it, but I don't know, her older sister was always gone, her younger sister lived with relatives a lot and my mom was the one who helped her mother with the hotel.

Middle Child Syndrome is refused to be recognized by the medical field.

For me it was like I was waving a flag to remind my family that I was still part of the family.

Middle Child Syndrome is refused to be recognized by the medical field.

For me it was like I was waving a flag to remind my family that I was still part of the family.
Why do you think it should be recognized by the medical field? That makes no sense to me.

Ok, I am not a psychiatrist, psychologist, or social worker but I think one’s birth order has a profound affect on one’s life path.

It should be medically studied.

Well, I was the 'baby' of a family of 5 siblings. Two brothers, two sisters all far older than me.
Two perspectives:
My youngest sister (8 years older than me) was expected to babysit me, when she was of an age when she wanted to go out with her friends, have fun etc. Of course, she was bound to resent me. Also, as I was so young I needed more attention than she felt she got at the same age.
From my point of view, I didn't feel spoiled at all for two reasons - firstly, by the time I was old enough to look after myself, all my brothers and sisters had grown up and moved out to their own homes. Secondly, my parents weren't the 'affectionate' type. For one particular reason (I discovered as a middle-aged man*), my parents while keeping me fed, healthy, and homed, offered me no emotional support or affection. So, while my brothers and sisters always saw me as the spoiled baby, I certainly didn't feel spoiled in the slightest.

* Long story - four years after the birth of my youngest sister, my mum left my dad for another man and she got 'with child'. Things didn't work out and mum wanted to return home. Dad agreed but on the condition that my half-brother was adopted and never mentioned again. Also, that mum had to have a child with my dad. In effect, I was a consolation prize. I can't imagine the emotional turmoil they went through - especially since they were of a far older generation - but I'm sure this was why there was no real emotional connection between me and my parents; I was a reminder of a bad time in their marriage.

* Long story - four years after the birth of my youngest sister, my mum left my dad for another man and she got 'with child'. Things didn't work out and mum wanted to return home. Dad agreed but on the condition that my half-brother was adopted and never mentioned again. Also, that mum had to have a child with my dad. In effect, I was a consolation prize. I can't imagine the emotional turmoil they went through - especially since they were of a far older generation - but I'm sure this was why there was no real emotional connection between me and my parents; I was a reminder of a bad time in their marriage.
I used to know an old boy who died a couple of years ago- always immaculately dressed- shirt, tie, jacket, trousers with a razor sharp crease and shoes polished like mirrors.

I saw him many times before I actually got to speak with him and always thought he must be an ex forces officer or aristo.

One day I got talking to him and he told me he'd grown up in the slums of Birkenhead in the 40s/50s.

During the war his Mother had had an affair of which he was the product.
When his Father came back from the war he couldn't handle this and used to beat him so badly he ended up in hospital many times.

Ok, I am not a psychiatrist, psychologist, or social worker but I think one’s birth order has a profound affect on one’s life path.

It should be medically studied.
But like most things, the variables are too large to actually choose what kind of study should be done. For example, all middle children are not the same because (BECAUSE) all families are not the same. If one of the parents is insane or absent or abusive that negates any correlation you might get by adding that family to the study. I think you are fixated on something that you should have outgrown, you mentioned more than once that your parents ignored you. That was your perception, but if you went back as an adult to view what was actually going on in the family you might find that your parents were dealing with some extra stress or something and you were easy child, or they didn't actually ignore you, you just witnessed what you thought your other siblings getting attention that you wanted. There are all kinds of reasons that you grew up thinking that your parents ignored you whether they did or not. You need to examine why as an adult you are still fixated on that. What did you loose, what can't you get for yourself because of it? Now that you are an adult the onous is on you to resolve your inner turmoils.

But like most things, the variables are too large to actually choose what kind of study should be done. For example, all middle children are not the same because (BECAUSE) all families are not the same. If one of the parents is insane or absent or abusive that negates any correlation you might get by adding that family to the study. I think you are fixated on something that you should have outgrown, you mentioned more than once that your parents ignored you. That was your perception, but if you went back as an adult to view what was actually going on in the family you might find that your parents were dealing with some extra stress or something and you were easy child, or they didn't actually ignore you, you just witnessed what you thought your other siblings getting attention that you wanted. There are all kinds of reasons that you grew up thinking that your parents ignored you whether they did or not. You need to examine why as an adult you are still fixated on that. What did you loose, what can't you get for yourself because of it? Now that you are an adult the onous is on you to resolve your inner turmoils.
I disagree. I can and do, still hold grudges from over 40 years ago.

I'd love to read that but it's a mass of text on my phone. No paragraph breaks.

Last edited:
Over the years I tried to put family arguments behind me and stay in the present.

Unexpectedly someone will say a weird remark and that starts to pull emotions from the past.

My wife has taught me how to defuse and go on because in our older age none of this past stuff really matters.

I'm eldest of 5. I have two each brothers and sisters. We are spanned 6 years apart.

I talk to my siblings occasionally, but I actually talk and see several of my nieces and nephews more.

As a kid, though my brother was
1 1/2 years younger, I was the one that had to look out for everyone. If my siblings did something, the blame would be put to me, even if I was absent to the crime. I always got the question of "why didn't you watch them?"

As a teen, I distanced myself from my siblings for this reason. So, my two sisters see and talk to each other often (and did so as kids) and my brothers, as kids, hung out together.

My youngest sibling (brother) told me a couple of years ago that many people (that are friends of my siblings) don't know that I exist. I went to a different high school, on purpose, to get away from some of my parents' scrutiny. And I am 6 years older than he, so I was never in the same school system as he. I was in college and out of the home when he was in grade 8.

I get along with all of them. Most are ok. One and spouse I take with short interactions. They tend to whine about what they think they don't have that others do. Won't listen to that.

I wouldn't call my youngest sibling spoiled. He's probably the most like me, though I don't know why.

My siblings have told me that I was the favourite, so I don't know what my parents said to them about me.

Over the years I tried to put family arguments behind me and stay in the present.

Unexpectedly someone will say a weird remark and that starts to pull emotions from the past.

My wife has taught me how to defuse and go on because in our older age none of this past stuff really matters.
Your wife is a smart woman. My saying, when something starts to really irk me is "in the grand scheme of things, does this really matter?" Most of the time the answer is "no".

I disagree. I can and do, still hold grudges from over 40 years ago.
I am not saying people don't, I am saying if you do (and I know from experience) that you need to accept responsibility for your feelings. You can hold a grudge but what does it serve you? Maybe it is time to let it go. And I don't think my comments to charliebrown had anything to do with holding a grudge, though now that you bring it up, maybe that is what he is doing, holding on to a childish feeling of neglect that may or may not have been more than his perception from his childish mind. Is that a grudge or is that a wound that you keep picking at over and over until it festers and makes you somewhat mentally unstable? Oh, but that is a grudge. So if you recognize it and it causes you pain, at this point no one can fix it but you.

I am not saying people don't, I am saying if you do (and I know from experience) that you need to accept responsibility for your feelings. You can hold a grudge but what does it serve you? Maybe it is time to let it go. And I don't think my comments to charliebrown had anything to do with holding a grudge, though now that you bring it up, maybe that is what he is doing, holding on to a childish feeling of neglect that may or may not have been more than his perception from his childish mind. Is that a grudge or is that a wound that you keep picking at over and over until it festers and makes you somewhat mentally unstable? Oh, but that is a grudge. So if you recognize it and it causes you pain, at this point no one can fix it but you.
Who appointed you Board Counsellor?

Strangely in my older age I found older people just suddenly open up about their strange pasts about their children, husbands, and boyfriends.

After 52 years of marriage my wife and I must be in the minority.

Who appointed you Board Counsellor?
Oh, you feeling attacked? I am stating my opinion, a strong opinion, but it is my opinion. You don't need to do anything I tell you, but it is a good indication that I hit a mark by your response.

Strangely in my older age I found older people just suddenly open up about their strange pasts about their children, husbands, and boyfriends.

After 52 years of marriage my wife and I must be in the minority.
You thinking there is a medical reason that middle children are ignored is not opening up? You might pretend like everything is ok, but sometimes you post things that indicate otherwise.

Back