• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Our heat and humidity wave sometimes trigger bad afternoon storms.

I find when this happens my body just aches.

Anyone else sensitive to the weather ?
I have read that barometric pressure can affect people who have arthritis.

I was looking into barometric pressure to see if it affects sinuses because, if I happen to be outside when the weather is unsettled (pretty sure it is when a low pressure front and a high pressure front come together) I get a sinus headache that disappears once the weather has cleared. It doesn't matter if it is raining or sunny, it just isn't unsettled.

Here's an article that mentions different ways barometric pressure can affect us:
https://www.medicinenet.com/how_does_barometric_pressure_affect_humans/article.htm

Our heat and humidity wave sometimes trigger bad afternoon storms.

I find when this happens my body just aches.

Anyone else sensitive to the weather ?
In the desert we sometimes get inverted lows and when that happens I know because my hips hurt. When it is humid I get headaches and sinus issues that aren't allergies. Neither of those things have anything to do with age. I have had those problems since I was a very young child.

I sometimes wake up a bit achey and attribute it to changing weather.
Also when it's about to rain I feel quite cold just before it starts.

Our seat on the toilet ( loo ) came apart, and it is hard for my wife and me to fix things so a son-in-law came over to solve the problem.

He put on a new seat with a blue night light built into the seat.

I wonder if they have ones that also play music also ?
I think there are some models of the training potties that play music:D

99, hopefully Bill will make it to 100 and beyond.

A World War Two veteran has come face-to-face with the modern version of the aircraft he flew in over Germany.

Retired Warrant Officer Bill Shepherd, 99, was a special guest at RAF Lossiemouth's friends and families day. He witnessed an air display by an F-35 aircraft, which conducts the precision bombing role similar to that carried out by the Lancaster aircraft he flew during the war. He also took a salute from the RAF Falcon Display Team as they landed.

Retired Warrant Officer Bill Shepherd, 99, was a special guest at RAF Lossiemouth's friends and families day.
IMAGE SOURCE, RAF Image caption, Mr Shephard was awarded the George Medal, given "for acts of great bravery"

Mr Shepherd said: "I've had such a wonderful day. The RAF has changed a lot but there are still things that are recognisable to me, and it has been nice to see how much the station has grown since I was here during the war. It was wonderful to see the F-35 and the Typhoon flying displays - they both move very differently to a Lancaster!"

Mr Shepherd was on the last of 40 war time missions over Essen in Germany when the aircraft's oxygen system failed. But he singlehandedly revived the crew, including the pilot, while simultaneously defending the Lancaster from attack by enemy fighters.

His heroism saw him awarded the George Medal, given "for acts of great bravery".

Earlier in the conflict, Mr Shepherd was the only survivor when his aircraft was badly shot up over France and exploded after landing at its Cambridgeshire base.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-66279106

Was watching a Basil Rathbone, Sherlock Holmes film from 1942 the other day, which of course is now 81 years old.

I know it's simple maths, but it only seems like yesterday that an 'old' film like that would have been only 50 years old.

Was watching a Basil Rathbone, Sherlock Holmes film from 1942 the other day, which of course is now 81 years old.

I know it's simple maths, but it only seems like yesterday that an 'old' film like that would have been only 50 years old.
Watching movies that I remember being released in the late nineties or early 2000s is weird. The thought that they're 20-25 years old doesn't seem to register in my brain. There have been children born who've grown into adults in that time. To my mind, they're modern movies. Yet when I was getting interested in films in the mid eighties, a film from the sixties or fifties might have seemed like an old classic.

The Mission: Impossible movies are nearly thirty years old now. That's a generation of adults for whom Mission: Impossible isn't that old TV show, or even those couple of movies based on that old TV show. It's just a movie franchise.

Watching movies that I remember being released in the late nineties or early 2000s is weird. The thought that they're 20-25 years old doesn't seem to register in my brain. There have been children born who've grown into adults in that time. To my mind, they're modern movies. Yet when I was getting interested in films in the mid eighties, a film from the sixties or fifties might have seemed like an old classic.
Yes.
I wonder how these young uns manage with black and white films? It must blow their minds.
I even used to watch snooker in B&W.
The Mission: Impossible movies are nearly thirty years old now. That's a generation of adults for whom Mission: Impossible isn't that old TV show, or even those couple of movies based on that old TV show. It's just a movie franchise.
MrsF mentioned 'Back to the Future' to someone the other day.
They'd never heard of it.

Stick around here! Sad when someone loses the will to catty on.
That happened to my Dad after he had to surrender his driving license aged 78 due to his eyesight.

He basically sat in his chair watching tv all day every day and got thinner and weaker until his body packed up. He lasted 4 years living like that.

As a family we arranged outings, holidays, got him an electric wheelchair, etc, but he would have none of it. The doctor told him there was nothing wrong with him and so did the hospital. All he had to do was some appropriate exercises every day and go for a walk up and down the street but no, he wasn't interested. The last time I saw him in a rest home he was a skinny bag of bones. Then one visit he was asleep and I could hear the death rattle as he breathed.

I fell out with my siblings over it, or rather they fell out with me, because I said it is and was his choice.

That happened to my Dad after he had to surrender his driving license aged 78 due to his eyesight.

He basically sat in his chair watching tv all day every day and got thinner and weaker until his body packed up. He lasted 4 years living like that.

As a family we arranged outings, holidays, got him an electric wheelchair, etc, but he would have none of it. The doctor told him there was nothing wrong with him and so did the hospital. All he had to do was some appropriate exercises every day and go for a walk up and down the street but no, he wasn't interested. The last time I saw him in a rest home he was a skinny bag of bones. Then one visit he was asleep and I could hear the death rattle as he breathed.

I fell out with my siblings over it, or rather they fell out with me, because I said it is and was his choice.
There's something to be said for older people 'giving up', or losing interest. There was an older woman living next door to us, she was nearly 96 years old. Lived with her daughter, who cooks healthy meals every day. This older woman got out there and walked around the block and beyond every single day till the end. Got outside and swept the sidewalk and raked leaves, took care of the garden, etc.
She died suddenly late at night, natural causes, and her daughter said the fact that she kept moving was what helped her live to almost 96.

My youngest's friend's mother died today. She was never the same after her husband died and apparently she was just wanting to go.
She was 3 years younger than I am but I'm not ready to go yet.
Good.

I've known two people that's happened to. Both were women. Very sad.

In ancient India women had the right of sati (the a is pronounced as an ri). In those days all who died were cremated on a pyre and the wife had the choice to walk in to the flames and a lot of women in those days saw it as their duty to be with their husband. In those days they saw life, and death, simply as a transition. Regardless, the choice always remained with the wife and she was thought no less of if she chose not to.

Back