• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
"But if the sign says Men's Shed, then people will come. And that's when the magic begins . . . "

Ah, Men's Shed, the new Men's Cottage! :likee:

JamesWhitehead said:
"But if the sign says Men's Shed, then people will come. And that's when the magic begins . . . "

Ah, Men's Shed, the new Men's Cottage! :likee:
:laughing:

The council want to move this old boy into something more shed-like...

Man faces eviction from property

A 60-year-old man faces eviction from the home he has lived in for 28 years, because he is not the official tenant.
David Leaman is refusing to move from the two bedroom council house he had shared with his mother until her death.

But Exeter City Council wants to move Mr Leaman to a one bedroom flat and has given him notice to leave.

Council spokesman Steve Warran said: "We have to make the best use of our stock. We have no intention of making Mr Leaman homeless."

He added: "Mr Leaman has been offered four properties over the last few months, we have done everything we can to help him".

However Mr Leaman said: "Aren't we allowed to hold on to our memories anymore?

"I am aware there are families needing homes, but where am I to go?

"We all have to get old, and the memories are all we have. When they're old they may see things differently".

However Exeter City Council is threatening to go to court to get possession of the house.

Council figures show that here are more than 800 families waiting for a two bedroom home in the Exeter area alone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6994457.stm

And of course, you can never be sure when you're going to pop your clogs.
I heard two old ladies at the bus stop today, discussing methods of growing runner beans.
One said, "If I'm still alive next year, I'll try that method.."

So, it's nice to have continuity, and it's nice to have something
to look forward to. 8)

The same thing happened to my friend, but he was young and it didnt matter.

Im sure the neighbours would prefer him to a family, dont you?

Happy happy sound

Radio 1 is nearing its 40th anniversary. Looking back on previous eras might bring a fond smile, but it might also make you feel your age. Dedicated fan and blogger Simon Hayes Budgen offers his own appreciation.

It's sometime between the alarm clock and the school run, and, on Radio 1, a portly bloke with some ill-considered facial hair is filling the large gaps between top 40 records with a mixture of in-jokes, insights into his fabulous life and the occasional shout-out to lorry drivers on the M62.

It's 1979, and the bath-robed, breakfasting nation is lapping up Dave Lee Travis in their millions.

How far Radio 1 has changed, eh?

One can find it easy to look back over the 40 years of the nation's favourite and, putting Tony Blackburn up against Bobby Friction, conclude that the current sassy young sound of Britain is built on foundations of the purest cheese.

It's an impression that memories the Radio 1 of the early 90s do little to counter. When the idea of refreshing the sound of the station was to rename Gary Davies' Bit In The Middle as Let's Do Lunch, it did seem Radio 1 had hopelessly lost touch.

Since the network has always had a remit to reflect popular music and cater to younger audiences, both of which are by their nature somewhat fickle, it's only right that most of the programmes and presenters from the station's history seem of their time. Being of its time is what Radio 1 is meant to be.

Audience connection

Take the Roadshow. In 2007, when programmes happily pack up and head off to trail round Ibiza and the European festival circuit, winning a goody bag from Mike Read on a windswept prom in Rhyl or Eastbourne might lose a little in comparison.

But in the 70s and early 80s, a day trip to North Wales or a family holiday in Skegness was often the best a teenager could hope for. It's arguable if watching Steve Wright orchestrate a competition involving wet fish made the holiday better or a little worse, but as far as the 21st Century obsession of "connecting with audiences" goes, the Roadshow knew what it was up to.
8)

Similarly, the charge that Radio 1 used to be a little staid is unfair. Some of the most extraordinary moments in broadcasting have come from between 275 and 285 metres on the medium wave band [the frequency before FM].

Chris Morris's beautifully drifting and twisted Blue Jam might have been tucked away in the small hours of the night, but he was also brought in to do much the same thing on a Christmas afternoon. To this day, I'm convinced that could only have been the result of an administrative error.

Another Christmas, and the traditional "DJs pretend to like each other for an hour" of the Radio 1 presenter's lunch suddenly took place - for no good reason - in Grey Gables, the hotel in The Archers.

The paper-thin conceit that Steve Wright, John Peel and Simon Bates would gather to share their festive lunch was stretched further to ask the listener to accept they'd all driven 200 miles to the fictional village of Ambridge, and not minded Eddie Grundy trying to flog them used Christmas trees while they were broadcasting to the nation.

And yet this was the station which would include gay listeners' love stories as part of Simon Bates's venerable Our Tune slot, at a time when mainstream media was uncomfortable with homosexuality, outside the safe confines of documentary and current affairs.

Likewise, Bates's decision to pack up his mid-morning show and broadcast it live from Berlin as the wall fell might have resulted in confusion as to what the actual historical event was (the fall of communism v Radio 1 live from Germany), but it showed a network that had interests way beyond the Top 40 and the "England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales" of its jingles.

The station used to challenge itself in all sorts of interesting ways, though admittedly John Walters used to stretch the arts brief somewhat, by featuring unmade tuna sandwiches, what happens when a fox in heat ventures onto your lawn, and the peculiar nature of Riddlesdown. It seems odd that there's no similar programme at a time when Banksy, Lucas and Gormley have brought art ever closer to the heart of British culture.

Ukrainian folk songs

And maybe the time is right for comedy to return (and, yes, I have heard Scott Mills's prank phone calls). Nobody mourns the loss of Fun At One slot, dumping 10 minutes of The Glums or Round The Horne into the lunch breaks of a blameless nation, but the evening slots which gave The Mary Whitehouse Experience and Lee and Herring a starting platform are sadly missed.

Even the stuff which the new Radio 1 is good at can struggle to better the past. Jo Whiley's Live Lounge, with its surprise covers, is something of which the network is proud.

But the "rock band does pop song/pop band does rock song" looks a little formulaic when set against the time indie janglers The Wedding Present turned up and delivered four folk songs - in the original Ukrainian - for John Peel, or Janice Long booked the Housemartins for a session and - in place of tracks from the latest album - got a collection of acapella gospel songs.

But I'm falling into the trap of trying to measure different eras against each other. It's a youth station, and part of getting older is tuning in to Radio 1 and feeling that - in the words of DLT's famous on-air resignation - changes are being made with which you cannot agree.

After all, if we weren't supposed to one day find that Radio 1 has become a bemusing and befuddling place to be, what would be the point of having Radio 2?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7005377.stm

Oh, damn, I actually remember the start of this! :(

Interesting history here:
http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/history_of ... etails.htm
It was established in London on 30th September 1967 following the Marine Offences Act 1967 which outlawed the unregulated pirate ship and fort radio stations broadcasting to Britain from the sea such as Radio London, Caroline, Swinging Radio England, Scotland, 270, 390, 355, BBMS, and land based Radio Jackie.
...And I later worked with an East Coast fisherman who had carried supplies to Radio Caroline in the 'pirate' era...

All I know is, Radio 2 - NO. :evil:
Anyone else remember the mad scramble for that pesky dial right after the Top 20 on a Sunday evening?

Yes. But then I'm getting old. I remember when people used to listen to the radio! CRAZY! Pop pickers! Not 'arf!

I've recently been looking at photos found in my late mother's papers. Some of them I've not seen for decades.

One is of a chubby baby aged one year....

How the hell did I get here from there?!

Pensioner given Asbo for loud Vera Lynn music
Last Updated: 2:39am BST 26/09/2007

A patriotic pensioner has been given an Asbo for playing his Vera Lynn records too loudly.

George Large, 66, was handed the court order after neighbours complained about the constant repetition of Forces favourites There'll Be Bluebirds Over (The White Cliffs of Dover) and We'll Meet Again. He has been banned from playing the music for two years.

Residents in the vicinity of Mr Large's flat in Catford, south London, made a string of complaints about the noise over 10 years and police eventually took the retired print worker to court.

Greenwich magistrates agreed to the order after hearing evidence of Mr Large's antics, including alleged abuse of neighbours.

Mr Large said: "Letters have been distributed to every door in this street, which makes my name mud. Apart from this, I have got a clean record."

Sgt Peter Hopkinson, of the Catford South Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: "This man has caused much stress to his neighbours over a long period."

http://tinyurl.com/2q9uk7

I'm not sure if this a case for :D or :shock:

Someone living on their own who plays loud music at all hours is obviously doing it to provoke others. They could listen to it privately through headphones if all they wanted was to deafen themselves.

If he's 66 that means he was born in 1941, so he can probably barely remember WWII, he's just being an irritating git.

escargot1 said:
They could listen to it privately through headphones...
You don't get headphones with wind-up gramophones! ;)

Centenarians reach a record high

The number of people living beyond 100 years has reached a record high in England and Wales, according to official figures.
The Office for National Statistics says there are now 9,000 "centenarians" - a 90-fold increase since 1911.

Estimates suggest this will carry on rising to 40,000 by 2031.

The rapid increase in the number of very elderly people began in the 1950s and is due to improvements in housing, healthcare, nutrition and sanitation.

The proportion of the population above the age of 70 has been rising steadily, and is expected to rise further.

The over-90s are now the fastest growing age group.

Experts say this is likely to place a far greater burden on the health service, as the costs of catering for diseases of the elderly such as cancer and dementia rise too.

The same increases have been happening in other industrialised countries, the ONS says.

There used to be proportionately more female to male centenarians - seven women for every man.

However this ratio is now beginning to fall as survival to this age becomes more common.

Greater male effect

Recent improvements in death rates have been greater for men than for women.

Although the rate at which the number of centenarians increased actually fell between 1981 and 2000, this reflects a slowing down in the birth rate a century earlier, rather than a worsening of the lifestyle and living conditions which contribute to long life.

There were only 100 centenarians in 1911 - up to 1940, the annual increase was 1.9%, rising to approximately 6% between 1941 and the 1990s, 4.5% during the 1990s and 5.8% since 2002.

The ONS expects that the number of over-100s in England and Wales will rise an average of 6% per year, quadrupling the current number by the 2030s.

Dr Lorna Layward, from Help the Aged, said: "It's hard to know whether these extra years are providing extra years of good health.

"Hopefully, with better medical provision, these extra years can be happy and healthy."

Emma Soames, the editor of Saga Magazine, said: "The government has got to get its act together, because the care services in this country are really not fit for purpose at the moment.

"We have a whole generation in their 50s and 60s who are looking after elderly relatives."

Gordon Lishman, director general of Age Concern, said: "Demographic change presents a number of opportunities and challenges to public services and public spending.

"For example, most people living in care homes are over the age of 85. As the number of people over the age of 90 increases, so will the need for care home spaces.

"All too often we are failing to respond adequately to the changing demographic challenge facing the UK."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7017856.stm

Reaching 90 in the post-war period was a rare event but now many lead fit and active lives. Here some of them talk about life at 90.

"Good old days? What good old days?" says Rose Butt, 93, after outlining a childhood that included a four-mile walk to school, the cane, bed at 6.30pm every night and a father held in a German POW camp.
The prospect of being "skivvy" to a farmer's wife in rural Essex propelled a 14-year-old Rose to London and a job in domestic help, followed by a 60-year marriage to Reg that she describes as unhappy. Despite such a hard life, Rose remains, chirpy, mischievous and twinkly-eyed. Cheerfulness, it seems, has been a key ingredient in her recipe for longevity.
"I'm inclined to be a happy-go-lucky person," she says. "I've always looked after myself except for smoking, which I regret. People always say 'you're always smiling', but I have my moments when I get depressed and have a cry."
Her friends don't phone any more because they've all died, she says. And angina, arthritis, inflamed legs and an irregular heartbeat mean she has to take nine tablets every morning.
But she still gets out on her mobility scooter - despite an accident last year that broke her arm in two places, she was straight back without a trace of nerves - and her fondness for Formula One motor racing makes her one of the oldest petrolheads around.
And she knits for charity. A pile of cuddly toys in the corner of her living room are testament to her skill in this regard including, amazingly, a doll wearing knitted roller skates.

When his wife Ivy died of Parkinson's disease in 1999, the Reverend Edgar Dowse decided to return to his studies. But what does a man with six degrees do next?
The answer for Mr Dowse was a PhD, called The Soul in Relation to God, which took four years to complete.
Three years short of receiving a telegram from the Queen, he credits his faith and a loving wife for his ripe old age. Before they were married, Ivy found a mystery benefactor to finance Mr Dowse, who then worked at Lloyds Bank, to go to theological college.
"Ivy was ingenious and discovered someone to put up the money for me and she would never let on who it was. How she did it I still don't know.
"She was a tremendous help. She had the position of a vicar's wife but she had a level of genius and would always tell me what to do and I always followed her advice because she was always right."
Although he can no longer walk properly Mr Dowse, who saw a Zeppelin shot down in World War I, still preaches every Sunday at various churches and he has a love for ancient languages. He reads his Bible in Hebrew, Aramaic and Syriac, which he has taught himself, and he can also read ancient Greek and Latin.
His faith was kindled as a boy at Bible class in Sheen, west London, and has given him a sense of purpose that has sustained him for nine decades.

Any 90th birthday would be a huge milestone but for Winifred Timbrell it drew her ever-closer to a personal competition she had to outlive her mother.
"I was pleased because my mother lived to be 92 so I thought I only had another two years to go."
Two years after the party at Guild House in Gloucester she's drawn level with her mother, and she puts this achievement down to an active life.
"I always liked to exercise when I was young - walk, swim and cycle - and now I try to keep going as much as I can.
"I exercise to music once a week and I don't sit down to be waited on, I still do a few jobs. I knit a lot for a charity and I still read the papers."
She counts herself lucky to have lived so long but does not want to live to 100.
"I'm quite happy now, but if I was poorly I would think it better to pass away. When you can't get about much and can't do the things you always did, it's not so good. I miss going into town and looking around the shops and buying something and maybe have a coffee."
Her father died in World War I and she just remembers sitting on her mother's knee, aged three, seeing her weeping while clutching a telegram.
And a tale from her first wedding day, in 1944, challenges the notion that manners were better in yesteryear.
Setting off on her Blackpool honeymoon after the service, she stood on the train all the way to Birmingham, because it was full of soldiers.

It's only two weeks since Duncan Clark, 92, reluctantly gave up his mobility scooter, but what others would view as a serious restriction on their freedom is for him a minor irritation - he'll just have to get the bus.
"I don't know why I've lived so long, maybe it's just that I've done everything in moderation - drinking, walking, cycling, and a lot of my life has been outdoors."
A draughtsman by trade, Duncan spends his time doing jigsaws, raising money for a children's charity, reading and walking.
His 90s were greeted with some enthusiasm, he recalls. "I didn't find it so bad, I think it's something to be proud of. When I was young, if you were 90 you were on the scrapheap but now they consider it more. So in some ways old people are treated better now but not in others."
His motto for life is stick with your friends, don't show off and keep a sense of dignity.
He spent 63 years with Lillian, whom he married in Liverpool in 1942 and who died in 2005. But he never called her Lily.
"She wouldn't have it. I would've been shot at dawn. Actually, she wouldn't wait till dawn, she'd shoot me at sunset."

Luck is what has taken Violet Parish to 90, she believes. "I've just been normal and worked hard, but I've been lucky.
"I'm always Mrs Groaner or Mrs Moaner but there are people terribly ill. You're very lucky if you haven't got anything worse than arthritis."
On her 90th birthday last November Violet had a party at the Bupa Ashley Park Nursing Home in Guildford, but she was not feeling well.
"Don't get old, it's not all it's cracked up to be. When you're young you think it will be wonderful to be sitting down and being waited on but it's not, it's boring.
"I want to be up and helping the nurses when they're a bit short, but I can't."
To ease the boredom, Violet does crosswords and su doku or watches television.
"I like Vicar of Dibley and I've got into the soaps, which is nuisance because they're a load of rubbish. People used to ask me why I watched EastEnders and I said because it was true to life but now I'm not sure it is."
Sadly, her husband George fell ill and lost consciousness just before their diamond wedding anniversary in 2000. He died soon afterwards.
But Violet says her proudest achievement is her family - two sons, two daughters-in-law and two granddaughters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7016844.stm

Did you know today is UK Older People's Day? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the other papers...

Use only pictures of happy, carefree pensioners, Government tells charities
By POLLY DUNBAR
Last updated at 22:41pm on 29th September 2007

The Government spin machine has been accused of peddling a false view of old age after it was revealed it had paid a PR company to portray all pensioners as happy and carefree.
Organisations involved in the first UK Older People's Day tomorrow have been instructed only to use promotional images in which elderly people look affluent and active.

Out go pictures reflecting the reality of life for the majority of older people, including an older man and woman slumped in armchairs, presumably in a care home, and an elderly woman appearing distressed.

In come photos such as a youthful-looking couple laughing as they run across a beach, a woman about to work out in a gym, another woman happily gardening, a couple cuddling on holiday and a man enjoying a game of tennis.

Approved: A happy couple on a beach is one of the images given a tick in the guideline pack

The approved images are marked with a large tick, while those to be avoided are marked with a cross.

The instructions form part of a guideline pack sent to organisations involved in the Department of Work and Pensions' Generation Xperience UK Older People's Day, which include the charities for the elderly Help The Aged, Age Concern and The Beth Johnson Foundation, as well as retail giants John Lewis and B&Q.

The Government booklet, produced by PR company The Red Consultancy, urges: "Any imagery used should be consistent with the upbeat, celebratory nature of the campaign.

"Avoid using images that reinforce incorrect stereotypes about older people's lifestyles."

It continues: "Contrary to common misconceptions, the UK's over-50s now have greater opportunities to lead healthy, active and fulfilling lives than ever before, largely thanks to improvements in services and pension reforms."

But critics said the chosen images were a far cry from reality for most older people at a time when more than a fifth live in poverty.

Nigel Waterson, Tory spokesman for pensions and older people, said: "This just shows spin is alive and well under Gordon Brown.

"Lots of older people have no reason to look or be happy – two million are living in poverty, 125,000 have lost their pensions due to the Government and many are facing penury in old age."

Some of the organisations backing the day have also criticised the images.

Alan Hatton-Yeo, director of the Beth Johnson Foundation, said: "I would not have chosen these pictures because they are clumsy and we are not using them.

"The Red Consultancy clearly didn't think carefully enough about the implication of the pictures. All the ones they have chosen seem to show middle-class people enjoying activities a lot of elderly people cannot participate in."

Paul Bates from Help The Aged added: "There's nothing wrong with showing positive images of old people but at the same time, it must be recognised that many old people are not fortunate enough to have the finances or physical abilities to do active, fun things and take holidays."

A spokeswoman for the Department of Work and Pensions said: "GenerationXperience UK Older People's Day is about celebrating the huge contribution that older people make to society.

"Part of that is about tackling negative and outdated stereotypes of older people, the majority of whom see age as an opportunity – not a barrier."

http://tinyurl.com/yth3tz

So I guess they don't want my picture, then... :twisted:

As you get older, you realise more and more strongly that you'll fall in one of (at least) two types of people - 'Survivors', and 'Died before his time'...

Last year, my ex-wife died, as well as my father-in-law. This year my mother died, as well as an old drinking companion not seen for a while.

And in the last couple of months another two blokes have 'passed over' - one with the same name as me, and also the same age as me, and the other who was a work colleague in the early 80's, and who later turned up living in the same town as me about 10 years ago!

I'd like to think that this particular cluster of events has now petered out... :shock:

EDIT: (Nearly missed the point of the story...)
Got back to my local today after learning of my namesake's death. I was having a quiet drink when the landlord offered me a sausage roll. I accepted (several) gratefully, and asked where the food had come from.
"A funeral", he said....

Later (and after some additional tuna vol-au-vents) I commented to the barman that there were too many funerals recently for my liking.
"Yes," he said, "That's the second this week!" :shock:

Cherie: prisoners have more rights than elderly
By Sarah Womack, Social Affairs Correspondent
Last Updated: 12:56am BST 27/10/2007

Cherie Blair is expected to say next week that the elderly residents of care homes do not have the same human rights as prisoners.

The wife of the former prime minister is due to highlight the "betrayal" of more than 311,000 pensioners in private care homes in her first high-profile foray into the public arena since her controversial decision to publish her autobiography next October.

Mrs Blair, a barrister, is expected to say in her speech that to deny human rights to older people in care homes is to deny them the right to be treated with fairness, dignity and respect.

Elderly people in privately-run homes are protected by the Care Standards Act 2000, which sets out minimum standards of care. It does not cover all potentially abusive and negligent situations and, crucially, does not prevent a care home from evicting a resident.

Earlier this year five Law Lords ruled that old people in independent care homes were outside the scope of the Human Rights Act. :shock:

This left such residents more vulnerable to neglect and abuse because, unlike hospital patients, council tenants or prisoners, they were not protected by human rights laws.

The Government has hinted that it intends to ensure the Human Rights Act will cover private companies that are providing a public service — such as old people's homes – and may include the proposal in the Queen's Speech next month. It is unclear, however, whether the Act will be extended to everyone or just those whose care bills are paid out of the public purse.

John Wadham, the legal director of the new Commission for Equality and Human Rights, said this week he intended to make the extension of the Act to older people his top priority.

When drafting the Human Rights Act in 1998, ministers said it should apply to all public bodies.

But they left a loophole by failing to include private sector care homes – which make up nine out of 10 care homes – even when the person is paid for by a local authority.

http://tinyurl.com/2jkvfz

I'm not sure which is more scary - having no human rights, or having La Blair speak up for you! ;)

Now here's an Oldie who knows about rights:

Solicitor, 89, wins thousands for injured friend
Last Updated: 12:12am BST 27/10/2007

An 89-year-old woman took on the legal system after her elderly friend was badly injured in a street attack - and won thousands of pounds in compensation.

Vivien Symons, who retired as a solicitor 25 years ago, made a triumphant return to the courtroom after successfully appealing a decision not to award her friend any money.

Mary Sylvester, 87, suffered a broken leg and arm after being knocked down by a man in Bath city centre last October.

The pair, both widows, suspected that he was attempting to steal her handbag after he fled from the scene without stopping.

He was never traced but Mrs Symons, a grandmother of three from Bathford, was determined to see justice done.

Mrs Symons, who qualified as a solicitor in 1947, argued that her friend should be treated as a victim of crime and made an application to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

It pays money to victims of violent crimes who have been seriously injured in an attack.

Their first two applications failed but Mrs Symons, who was the first female member of the prestigious London Criminal Courts Solicitors' Association, was not willing to give up without a fight.

She appealed CICA's decision and prepared a watertight case with evidence from the police officer who had attended the scene. He agreed that even if the man had not been attempting to steal the bag, he had behaved so recklessly it could be treated as assault.

The pensioner returned to the courtroom to represent her friend at the tribunal in Bristol, and outlined why she should be treated as a victim of a violent crime.

The pair, who still enjoy a round of golf, won the case and Mrs Sylvester was awarded £13,560 in compensation and legal costs.

"It was strange going back to court after so long, but I was treated with a great deal of respect," Mrs Symons said.

"I told them, 'I'm a bit out of touch so be patient'. I knew we had a strong case so I was confident we would win.

"We had quite a laugh about it afterwards. I told her, 'You got the money and I got the glory'.

"The laywoman in court said to me afterwards, 'If I need someone to fight my case I want you'.

"I don't think I'll be coming out of retirement again. I think I'll fade into old age gracefully now."

http://tinyurl.com/ywpqqr

She’d just turned 100, and a card from the Queen wasn’t exciting enough . . .
Mike Theodoulou Nicosia

A great-grandmother floated gracefully into the record books, becoming the oldest person to paraglide a day after celebrating her 100th birthday.

Peggy McAlpine, fortified by a breakfast of cornflakes, was fearless as she took off yesterday from a 762m (2,500ft) peak in a craggy mountain range with spectacular but dizzying views over the northern coast of Cyprus and the Mediterranean.

There was no need for the ambulance that was on standby when she touched down 15 minutes later � but the champagne was in great demand.

“It was the most wonderful, pleasant experience and I’m ready to do it again anytime,” Mrs McAlpine told The Times. “I was sitting in a chair floating above the mountains. I saw the full range of the coast of the island from one end to the other, with ships on the Mediterranean, which was as blue as it is always said to be.”

She said that the experience was “far superior” to bungee jumping, which she did at the age of 80 with members of the Royal Parachute Regiment at the Essex showground.

Mrs McAlpine, who is partially sighted, added: “I’m not scared at all. I love heights, I love climbing. I love getting up in the air. I hope to do this again when I’m 105, but this may be my final goodbye to all my flying escapades.”

Her daughter, Elizabeth Forsyth, who is afraid of heights, watched Mrs McAlpine’s daredevil antics from the landing spot near the coast. “There was no way I could stop her,” she said.

The organisers said that Mrs McAlpine had broken a record held by a 95-year-old Dane. Before her record, the oldest Briton to paraglide was Reg Rose-Innes, 91, from Beddingham, who flew at 800ft above the Devil’s Dyke in Sussex last December for 20 minutes. Two volunteers monitored yesterday’s flight for The Guinness Book of Records yesterday.

Mrs McAlpine has long loved excitement. As a 14-year-old girl she flew with Sir Alan Cobham, a celebrated pioneer of commercial and long-dis-tance aviation, in his First World War surplus biplane. But yesterday was her first time paragliding.

She was strapped into the front seat of a tandem paraglider piloted by Ozgur Gokazan, 34, who owns High-line Air Tours, a tandem paragliding company in Kyrenia. He marvelled at her composure. “She was cool and relaxed and she landed perfectly,” Mr Gokazan told The Times.

Mrs McAlpine said that she felt no different now that she had turned 100, insisting that excitement helped to keep her young. She had hoped to make her record attempt on Tuesday to celebrate her birthday before receiving the traditional birthday card from the Queen, which was delivered by Peter Millett, the British High Commissioner. But dark clouds coming in from the sea and the crackle of distant thunder forced a postponement. “I was born during a thunderstorm,” she recalled.

Mrs McAlpine, who has fond memories of her years in Scotland and Great Dunmow, Essex, moved to the seaside town of Kyrenia, northern Cyprus, with her daughter in 2004.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 781211.ece

"There's no point in being unhappy about growing older. Just think of the millions who have been denied the privilege." ~ Cary Grant

Yup. Horizontal horticulture.

You know your growing old when....

A friends advises you to see your GP when you have chest pains (wind) and your GP orders you in ASAP.

And it is indeed wind.

'Bill didn't get down on one knee... at 96, he would never have got up again'
KURT BAYER

AT 96, Bill Rodger could have been forgiven for thinking romance had passed him by. But today, he will prove it's never too late for love, when he marries his 78-year-old sweetheart.

After 11 years of courting Liz Stewart, he will tie the knot with her in a ceremony at his bungalow in Cherrybank, near Perth, making him one of Scotland's oldest grooms.

For more than a decade the couple have shared companionship, regular holidays to the sun and a passion for St Johnstone football club, frequently attending home games.

But it was not until Mr Rodger fell ill that he felt the need to propose to the woman he calls his "twilight years sweetheart".

The retired managing director of Camerons, the house furnishers, said yesterday: "I had three life-threatening illnesses, with which she was with me all the time, so I felt I owed her a bit more than just being my bidie-in [live-in partner]."

And he was spurred on by an innocent question from one of his great-grandchildren, who was unsure if Ms Stewart was their great-grandmother. They are both widowed.

Mr Rodger, a former captain of Blairgowrie Golf Club and Royal Perth Golfing Society, admitted: "That started the bell tinkling, I suppose. We'd talked about it before but had shelved it. There didn't seem to be many advantages in getting married."

And even after such a long relationship, Ms Stewart, from Errol, Perthshire, still needed time to ponder the proposal.

She said: "Bill didn't get down on one knee or propose or he'd never have got up again.

"We were sitting in the conservatory when Bill said he had something I should think about. That's when he said we should get married. I hadn't expected it and asked for time to think it over. It was a big step. I had been a widow for 16 years and we have long been thought of as a couple anyway.

"I thought about it overnight and decided the answer was yes. Bill is a bit of a romantic. We always have a special meal for Valentine's Day."

While Mr Rodger passed on a rowdy stag night, his bride threw a hen party at her village bowling club.

The ceremony is due to be conducted by the Rev Douglas Main, the minister at Errol Parish Church, where Ms Stewart is a long-time member of the congregation.

Mr Rodger's son-in-law, Derek, will be his best man, and also in attendance will be his two daughters, four grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.

The couple are hoping their special day is capped with a winning performance by St Johnstone over Dundee.

Ms Stewart said: "We had to make sure Saints were playing away from home before setting the date. 8)

"We have no honeymoon plans but at some point we will probably escape to a nice hotel.

"It has been very hectic over the last few months. At our age, we have to do everything ourselves - we don't have parents to do things for us, but I can't wait. It will be a great day."

Mr Main said: "Bill is certainly my oldest groom, though I do recall a bridesmaid in her eighties.

"Bill and Liz are a lovely couple and we're all looking forward to the wedding. I'm delighted to be conducting the nuptials."

Ruth Ingram, the Perth registrar, confirmed Mr Rodger will be one of Scotland's oldest bridegrooms. She said: "The oldest man I can recall getting married was in his eighties. I certainly don't know of anyone getting married in his nineties."

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1751712007

To the manor born – a century at same cottage
Simon de Bruxelles

There was only one place for Dorothy Loveless to celebrate her 100th birthday: the Somerset cottage in which she was born and has lived ever since.

When Miss Loveless, a shepherd’s daughter, first graced the living room of the three-bedroomed house in Closworth on November 5, 1907, there was no bathroom, electricity or running water, and only a fire for heating. She added a bathroom in the 1960s and central heating ten years ago but her home is essentially unchanged.

Miss Loveless occupied the cottage through two world wars, and the deaths of her parents and her siblings. She has no intention of moving. “I have had some good times and some bad times in this house, but I try to remember all the good times,” she said. “I wouldn’t want to spend my 100th birthday anywhere else.

“I just wish that all my siblings were still around and could celebrate with me but I have plenty of friends and my neighbours have all visited. I miss the noise and the laughter but at least I have the memories.”

Miss Loveless’s parents moved into the cottage in 1901 when her father, Charles, got a job as a shepherd. They had four children, of whom Miss Loveless was the youngest. She never married, and lived with her brother, Harry, until his death two years ago. After her parents died in the 1950s, Harry took over as shepherd while she worked at home sewing gloves for a Bristol company.

On Sunday 150 people attended a church service held in her honour.

Miss Loveless recalled a less frenetic age but has never forgotten how hard life was. She said: “There was a time when the water was hand-pumped and boiled on the stove but now I have central heating and a gas fire. The cottage itself hasn’t changed much since it was given to my father. We have redecorated a few times but no major work has ever been needed.

“But I never take the boiler, the gas fire or the hot water for granted because I remember when this house was freezing.

“We used to love it when our father had to bring a sick lamb home and keep it in overnight. He had a bottle for them, and I used to love feeding them.” She was aged eight when Harry was called up to fight in the First World War, serving in what is now Iran and Iraq. She attended the local school, which then had a total of 20 pupils.

“It was quite a busy household as they were in those days,” she said. “There was always something that needed to be done. We used to boil the water and share the hot water between the whole family. And we didn’t have a fridge so we would have to go shopping daily.

“Life is a lot easier now but I stay young by doing all my chores myself. I have reached 100 so I must be doing something right. I am the last one left but I am still going strong and I still feel like a spring chicken.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 813940.ece

The longest I ever lived in one place is about 8 years..... :?

Old 'leeches' drive a wedge in golf clubs
By Lewine Mair and Nick Britten
Last Updated: 2:33am GMT 13/11/2007

Senior citizens who dedicate their retirement days to golf have been denounced as "leeches" on their clubs.

Many elderly players, who pay reduced fees, spend more than half their week playing, ruining courses and annoying younger members who often pay a lot more for membership, says The Golf Club Secretary Newsletter.

Now clubs are considering banning elderly players at certain times and dropping concessionary rates.

The suggestion will split opinion in the golfing world.

The monthly newsletter says that as life expectancy and fitness levels increase, older players are making greater use of memberships, playing two or three times a week. They spend so long on the course they become "leeches" on the club.

Most regular members are too busy at work to play more than 20 rounds a year.

Typically, they could be paying £1,000 as against the £700 of an over-65.

http://tinyurl.com/3dnmry

rynner decides to take up golf... :twisted:

..of course, I'd have to do it on the cheap - any S/H clubs on offer? 8)

Most regular members are too busy at work to play more than 20 rounds a year.

Depends how committed they are. Our Techy plays that many rounds a month in summer, weather permitting. :D

And yup, take it up, Ryn, old bean. You'll love it. 8)

Well, maybe I'll take up football instead:

Football loving Dickie kicks off his 60th season - at the grand old age of 72
Last updated at 16:37pm on 15th November 2007

Football player Dickie Borthwick is the oldest winger in town 8) - after kicking off his 60th season at the age of 72.

Sprightly Dickie has taken to the field every year since he was 12 and, despite his age, he still runs around for 90 minutes today.

The silver-haired veteran plays in the thick of it in midfield and regularly pits his skills against players who are more than half his age.

And despite his years, Dickie said he has got no plans to hang up his boots and will play on until his knees give up on him.

He said: "I have lost a bit of pace and can't run as much as I used to but I am still quick in the mind and that's what counts.

"I don't feel like I am in my 60th season. I still feel young at heart and feel like I can go on for a few years yet."

Dickie, from Weymouth, Dorset, starred in his side's latest game, a 5-1 thrashing of local hotel team who had players 50 years his junior in their team.

He said: "I felt absolutely fine afterwards, the knees were all right.

"I enjoyed the game and sprayed quite a few passes about.

"I even went on a run down the left wing and put a good cross in, which reminded me of my glory days.

"It was quite an even first half but I think they began to tire a bit in the second half!"

Dickie, a retired engineer, began his footballing career at the age of 12 when he played for Invergordon Academy in the Scottish Highlands.

He went on to play for Ross County and then Invergordon Town FC before his family moved south to Dorset.

Sprightly: Dickie Borthwick is still playing football 55 years after this picture was taken

He played for a total of 11 non-league clubs, including Sherborne Town, and regularly banged in 25 goals a season.

He joined his current team Wyke Rangers 30 years ago and they became a veterans team 10 years later.

Two of his three sons, Gavin, 32, and Glenn, 40, also turn out for the side.

Dickie said he puts his fitness down to quitting his 30-a-day smoking habit and drinking tea and eating a bowl of porridge before every game.

He said: "I have a strict routine with my vitamins every day and I gave up smoking 37 years ago which helped. I also have porridge before every game for energy.

"I have got a good strong body which I got from my mother who was a big country girl."

Dickie thinks he has scored between 350 to 400 goals in his career and has never been booked or sent off.

He said: "I am a clean player and I believe in playing hard but fair. I also build up a rapport with the referee and have a bit of banter with them."

The pensioner has been lucky with injuries over the years until he dislocated his shoulder five years ago.

He added: "People then told me to pack it in but I still got a buzz out of playing so didn't want to."

Mick Saunders, the player-manager for Wyke Rangers, explained his team now only play friendly games during the season because it is difficult to find regular opposition.

He said: "There don't seem to be many other veteran teams about nowadays so we make do with friendly matches and on average we will play about once every two weeks.

"Dickie is the oldest player in the team but he can still cut it. He can read the game well and always uses the ball wisely."

Wyke Rangers' next game is on December 2 against a local taxi company.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1779

The first reigning monarch to celebrate a 60-year marriage

The Queen and Prince Philip celebrate 60 years
By Andrew Pierce
Last Updated: 2:16am GMT 17/11/2007
In public and private, Prince Philip has been the Queen's compass and confidant. Andrew Pierce examines a momentous marriage.

When the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh walk into Westminster Abbey on Monday for the service to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary the following day, Prince Philip will, as throughout their long and resilient marriage, be several steps behind his wife and monarch.

Yet, despite the Queen's constitutional superiority, there is a another balance of power that has made the marriage so successful.

For 60 years, the couple have had to combine the duties of state with their private lives and the raising of four children, while coping with the end of the age of deference and an ever more intrusive media. Since the moment of their engagement, everything they have done and said has been subjected to microscopic scrutiny.

The Queen, now 81, and still the world's most famous woman, has rarely put a foot wrong in public - unlike her children and her outspoken husband.

But the success of her reign, and her continued and remarkable popularity, is not just down to her own selfless commitment to the job of monarch, but also to the unstinting support of Prince Philip, 86, who has been there to lean on through the most turbulent years.

Their relationship has been at the core of the Queen's life. They met at the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, when Princess Elizabeth, then aged 13, was shown round by Cadet Captain Prince Philip of Greece. After this first encounter, they met intermittently.

Unlike most other women of her time, Elizabeth had only one boyfriend. He was born on a kitchen table in Corfu in 1921, the great-great-grandson of Queen Victoria and the son of Prince Andrew of Greece, with German, Danish, Dutch and Russian ancestry.

His father, a career soldier who was sentenced to death for abandoning his post in the face of the enemy, was then driven into exile.

When Philip was eight, his mother, Princess Alice, was committed to a lunatic asylum, while his playboy father drifted around the Continent in a state of gloom. This perhaps accounts for official disapproval of the Queen's choice of husband.

In the words of Sir Alan Lascelles, private secretary to George VI, "They felt he was rough, uneducated, and probably would not be faithful."

This issue of faithfulness has surfaced in several books. In Elizabeth, Sarah Bradford wrote: "The question of Philip's fidelity is, like the real extent of Elizabeth's personal fortune, the last bastion which courtiers will defend to the death."

Gyles Brandreth, a friend of the Duke whose book Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Marriage gave him unrivalled access to the couple, is adamant that Philip has never betrayed the Queen. It was in his book that the Duchess of Abercorn revealed that she had "a highly charged chemistry" with the Duke in an intense friendship that spanned two decades from the late 1960s.

Whatever the truth, there is no doubt that the marriage is strong. The Prince, asked about the success of his marriage, said: "The Queen has the quality of tolerance in abundance."

It is clear from Elizabeth's warm tribute to her husband in her golden wedding speech at London's Guildhall in 1997 that the relationship had been a personal as well as a public triumph.

"He is someone who doesn't take easily to compliments," she said. "He has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years, and I, and his whole family, and this and many other countries, owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim or we shall ever know."

However, in the beginning there was unease about the love match. He was born Prince Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksberg; a "Greek princeling of no consequence," he once said.

Politicians were worried about how a union would be received by a man dismissed as "a German" by the people and dubbed "the Hun" by Queen Elizabeth, his future mother-in-law. Even Philip's sisters were not invited to the wedding, because they had made the supreme social mistake of marrying Germans.

It was the wily Lord Mountbatten who had ensured that Philip, his nephew, conducted the guided tour at Dartmouth, during which the Princess met her Prince Charming, and who used his skills and connections to ensure his nephew's naturalisation. He even donated his name to the suitor, who arrived at the altar as Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten.

The Queen, as Supreme Governor of the Church of England, takes her wedding vows very seriously. She would never have countenanced divorce and, at the beginning of her reign, no divorcee could be presented to her.

She is the first reigning monarch to celebrate a 60-year marriage and it is one of her greatest disappointments that her own close family has been so visited by marital troubles.

Princess Margaret and three of her four children all divorced, destroying the myth that the monarchy sat astride a higher social order.

Yet it was Prince Philip who proved a stalwart source of strength and comfort as her children's marriages disintegrated, and the tabloids went in hot pursuit of Diana and Sarah Ferguson.

For many years, the Queen was opposed to Prince Charles marrying his long-time companion Camilla Parker Bowles. Prince Philip accepted that Charles should marry to tidy up his private life.

It was he, too, who steadied the Queen's nerves while her courtiers were panicking over the extraordinary outpouring of public grief after the death of Diana - a phenomenon which, to this day, neither of them understands.

When they married in 1947, he was 26 and she 21. It was the fairytale wedding that shone a glittering shaft of light into the depressing gloom of post-war Britain.

For Clement Attlee's great reforming government, the wedding was a chance to lift the spirits of the King's loyal subjects, who were struggling with rationing and the grim austerity of life barely two years after the celebrations of VE Day.

On the day of the wedding, Princess Elizabeth rode to Westminster Abbey with her father in the Irish State Coach.

The crowds cheered all along the procession route. Richard Dimbleby described her arrival at Westminster Abbey thus: "The doors of the coach are open. The crowds shout with excitement and love. Now she steps down. A great cheer arises to sustain her."

The carefree mood of the day was meant to last much longer - the King was only 52. The first few years of their marriage were idyllic, living in Malta, where Prince Philip was stationed with the Royal Navy, as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.

It was a relatively ordinary life, away from the cameras and the onerous grind of official engagements. But after only four years Elizabeth's father was dead, and she was Queen. Their private life was over - as was Philip's naval career, which he resented.

In the subsequent decades, the irascible Duke, short-tempered and gaffe-prone, has often caused controversy. But without his love and unceasing support, the Queen's enthusiasm for her job would be diminished.

"Prince Philip is not an easy man and the Queen knows he can be difficult," says a former lady-in-waiting. "But she adores him and defers to him."

They talk all the time, including on the telephone when they are apart. The Duke is deliberately challenging. The Queen does not have to say anything remotely interesting, as she is the reason everyone is there. She is a good mimic and unswervingly conscientious. He is cleverer. She is cautious. He is unpredictable, she is predictable. She is non-judgmental; he is not. He is always protective of her, often barking at photographers who get too close to the Queen to "get out of the way".

While the Duke is often portrayed as being remote from Prince Charles, father and son have more in common than people think. They are both deep thinkers. Prince Philip has a library of 11,000 books, including 1,000 on art and 200 volumes of poetry. It was a shared love of Jung that sparked the friendship with the Duchess of Abercorn. He reads T S Eliot and Shakespeare.

The Queen, who is not an avid reader, and is more at home with her horses, is deeply religious; far more so than her husband.

The marriage has often come under pressure, particularly in the early years, when he had to come to terms with taking a back seat to his wife - something any husband in the 1950s would find difficult. At the start, he was regarded as an outsider by the court. He was kept in the dark about affairs of state and not even at first permitted to pass his surname on to his own children. "I am nothing but a bloody amoeba," he once complained.

This was one of the reasons why the Queen, in so many speeches, referred to "my husband and I", to the delight of the satirists. 8)

In 1960, with the birth of Prince Andrew imminent, she announced a change of the rules: her descendants - other than her children and those entitled to use HRH - would bear the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

While the Queen is the head of state, with the power, technically at least, to dissolve Parliament, Prince Philip has assumed the traditional mantle of head of the family.

It was the Duke who insisted that Charles stayed in the spartan atmosphere of Gordonstoun school in Scotland, of which he was an old boy.

It was also he who wanted Prince Edward to maintain tradition by entering the Armed Forces: the spell in the Royal Marines was one of the unhappiest periods of Edward's life, and was cut short in the full glare of publicity. It was also Prince Philip, according to popular legend, who pushed his eldest son into the fateful decision to marry Lady Diana Spencer.

Ultimately, it was Lord Charteris who summed up the success of the union when he told Brandreth: "Prince Philip is the only man in the world who treats the Queen simply as another human being. I think she values that. And, of course, it is not unknown for the Queen to tell the Duke to shut up."

Today, as they prepare to enter their seventh decade together, the Queen and Prince Philip are enjoying their twilight years. They are closer than ever, particularly since the deaths of Princess Margaret and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Lady Penn, a former lady-in-waiting to the Queen Mother and a friend of the Queen, says: "They are good friends and that is their secret. She has had a lot to contend with. The fact she has coped so wonderfully is mostly thanks to him."

http://tinyurl.com/2wljey

And if you waded through that lot, good luck to you

- I had to live through it!

(There were fancy dress parties for the kids at the Coronation in '53, and we all got models of the Coronation coach. Wonder what that would be worth now, if I still had it...?)

I really had to laugh at one of the articles today that said due to rationing, the Queen had to save up her coupons to buy her wedding dress, yeah right.

Back