• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Just recently I put my back out, resulting in three days of agony and multiple medications, due to the stupid and violent act of... pointing at something on the floor of the lounge.

I am 54 this year. My wife (who is 41) found this hilarious.

On the subject of older people saying weird stuff, my mum (who is 81, but was about 75 at the time) was discussing various fortean topics with my kids when they were younger. She expressed her hope that "they never find Nessie, because they will kill it, stuff it, and put it in a museum". She followed up with- "and I'll tell you what else I hope they never catch... the sausage. No! I mean 'sasquatch'!"

Needless to say, to this day "hairy man beasts" are, in my family, "sausages".

When I was in my 20s, I took a washing machine to my girfriend's mothers house.
When I collected it, I squatted down, wrapped my arms around it and in one fell swoop lifted it in through the side door of the van.

I got arm ache the other day, holding an onion up for 5 seconds while checking the quality of it.
I've just turned 61, and I started doing pilates and seeing a personal trainer in January, with the aim of preventing things like pulled back muscles etc. I do a lot of cycling and work part-time as a sub-editor, neither of which are especially back-friendly pursuits.

Sunday before last I was going out for a bike ride. I'd been up an hour, was nicely relaxed and somehow before I even got on the bike, or even tried to get on my bike, I felt a muscle in my lower back go ping!

In the past I've usually been doing some exercise or lifting something wrongly. Nada! just getting old. I looked up what it might be if it wasn't a muscle... kidney stones, slipped disc etc - so I'm glad it was a muscle pull.

But I was back at pilates today, which I really do think is helping my core and my permanently tensed-up shoulders! And I'll be back on the bike come the weekend...

I'm 62 and on an armful of medications. I'm the most unfit person on the planet.
I've repeatedly been told I look 10 years younger than my age, which I put down to being a lazy bastard.
Mind you, my face has aged a bit in the last 3 years... but it's nothing that a 'mini facelift' couldn't sort out.

Just recently I put my back out, resulting in three days of agony and multiple medications, due to the stupid and violent act of... pointing at something on the floor of the lounge.

I am 54 this year. My wife (who is 41) found this hilarious.

On the subject of older people saying weird stuff, my mum (who is 81, but was about 75 at the time) was discussing various fortean topics with my kids when they were younger. She expressed her hope that "they never find Nessie, because they will kill it, stuff it, and put it in a museum". She followed up with- "and I'll tell you what else I hope they never catch... the sausage. No! I mean 'sasquatch'!"

Needless to say, to this day "hairy man beasts" are, in my family, "sausages".
I love the way my Mrs says "sausage" in her Norfolk accent. It's "Sharshudge". In the same way some people get a bit turned on by the French accent, the way she says sausage just does it for me.

I remembered posting something on here about a weird ritual I had witnessed, where a group of men drank some liquor from a miniature shoe. A recent Guardian article seemed to indicate it was a tame variation on the Australian Shoey!

I was convinced this had happened about two years ago. It came to mind in connection with the more recent Wetherspoon's thread, as the location was their dismal, brown branch at Piccadilly Gardens. Looking it up, I found it was from late 2016 and that the Australian explanation had been proffered at the time! :loopy:

Edit: Here is the link!

Last edited:
I'm 60, just. I have coworkers who are early 30's to early 40's who will sit and complain -to me! - that they are too sore to do (fill in the blank) at work.

My job is fairly strenuous with pushing wheelchairs and using mechanical lifts and bringing in groceries but we don't lift heavy things nor run marathons.

My mid back and lateral back muscles are usually sore because of the mostly upper body work, but rarely do I ever sit and say that I'm too sore to work.

I can't imagine how these people will cope at twice their ages.

I did grow up on a dairy farm and had strenuous work and some heavy lifting so I have some strength left. I hated mowing away hay. Some of those bales were probably close to 70 lbs. I'm not very tall so trying to lift them above my shoulders to stack them was a feat.
There was only one thing I hated more than Hay getting Brownmane, and that was chaff cutting...Oh, and one other thing comes to mind. Going for a swim in the irrigation canals and getting chased out out of the water by eastern browns.

I'm 62 and on an armful of medications. I'm the most unfit person on the planet.
I've repeatedly been told I look 10 years younger than my age, which I put down to being a lazy bastard.
Mind you, my face has aged a bit in the last 3 years... but it's nothing that a 'mini facelift' couldn't sort out.
A mere youth I wish I was 62 again.

I’m 67 soon the 20th of this month and I’m fairly fit I’ve always worked outside so fairly strenuous activity.
And I’ve always suffered with a bad back but now my bliddy knees have decided to join in.But the doctor and the physio both said it has helped long term and like cycle boy Pilates and Padel tennis which I love

My state pension kicks in this month - whoopee. I've been retired for nearly 7 years now, had enough of working beside young people who thought they knew it all then when I retired they demanded that management ask me to come back and do some training because they felt I hadn't shown them what to do... funny that as the usual response had been "There's nothing you can teach us we don't already know.". My reply to the invite to do some training consisted of two words :)
I had my annual medical a month ago and passed - I'm a healthy physical wreck.
I've never really felt old... until I saw this!
431821090_808046508013469_5046004091709511317_n.jpg

Well, I feel old when I hear about people saying their parents were born during WW2.
My parents fought in WW2.
My father fought in WW1 (OK Mum was his second wife, and he was in his 50s when I was born) Royal Fusiliers in time for Operation Michael in 1918. Mum was conscripted into the ATS in WW2. :omr:

My state pension kicks in this month - whoopee. I've been retired for nearly 7 years now, had enough of working beside young people who thought they knew it all then when I retired they demanded that management ask me to come back and do some training because they felt I hadn't shown them what to do... funny that as the usual response had been "There's nothing you can teach us we don't already know.". My reply to the invite to do some training consisted of two words :)
I had my annual medical a month ago and passed - I'm a healthy physical wreck.
I've never really felt old... until I saw this!
View attachment 74701
Plus, being able to spend more time with Dave must be a blessing for you.

What seems not too long ago, was when you got talking to an old person you knew that they'd fought in, or at least been around during WW2, but now of course, you can be talking to a 78 year old who wasn't born until after.

Along with coppers and politicians getting younger (especially younger than us) it really is another way of making you feel old.
In fact, I think once the Prime Minister is younger than you, that's it.

Dave's been in the huff with me for years - ever since he found out I was retired. "Sheer laziness!" according to 59-year-old Dave who left school at 16 and has worked less than 3 years in total since then.
You've got to admire his dedication though.

Actually, I bet he had to work very hard at being so workshy!

Wasn't there a pTerry Prtchett character that displayed that hardworking laziness?

My wife’s parents, which who have been long deceased, both served in WW II, her father in the Army and her mom a WAC.

They were stationed in New Guinea, fell in love, and realized they lived around the corner from each other in Brooklyn, New York.

You never know about life.

Her father was shot in the hand and this caused him problems in later years.

Fortean Strangeness:
When my dad was in the closing years of the war, he was in a P.O.W working party in slate mines. One time he was chipping away and a sliver hit his right hand, embedding itself in the 'web' between his thumb and forefinger. Camp M.O. dug it out, cleaned the wound and gave him a stitch, leaving a half inch scar.
Over twenty years later, I was born ... with a half inch scar in the webbing of the thumb and forefinger of my right hand.

Go figure.

I've just watched this video about Glastonbury festival 2023 and I wouldn't go now even if it was free. It's a huge money trap. Has Disney bought out this festival?. I feel old now because I was there (maan) when the travellers kicked down the fence in '92, when Johnny Cash and other actual legends played there and I was a noob then because the festival had been going for about 20 years at that point. When we were dropping acid and smoking weed. Now it seems to be 'McGlastonbury' according to this video with a price list for absolutely everything. It used to be if you turned up with a tepee you automatically got in free .. nowadays they charge you extra for that and anything else they can imagine to charge you for apparently? .. fuck that .. I've still got police parking tickets from when we'd just abandon a car on the outskirts of the festival in my scrap book. Now it's all 'happy meal' pricing deals on various scales?. WTF?... and we used to break in and not pay at all. I'm going for a bit of a lie down now.

Glastonbury has been reduced to 'Glasto' for people at 'Uni' and nowadays it all about the 'woo woo! .. look at the shiny shiny!' :(

Last edited:
Well, I feel old when I hear about people saying their parents were born during WW2.
My parents fought in WW2.
Ditto...I wonder if I was as Naive as present day kids when I was 25?

I think that I possibly could've been...but I also had a pocketful of Hope back then - nowadays, with those in Power, there's fuck-all of that about.

Poor little sods...

Fortean Strangeness:
When my dad was in the closing years of the war, he was in a P.O.W working party in slate mines. One time he was chipping away and a sliver hit his right hand, embedding itself in the 'web' between his thumb and forefinger. Camp M.O. dug it out, cleaned the wound and gave him a stitch, leaving a half inch scar.
Over twenty years later, I was born ... with a half inch scar in the webbing of the thumb and forefinger of my right hand.

Go figure.
Now that is spooky Stormkahn.

My Dad pierced my Mums ears when She was carrying my sister. At full term, Sister was delivered with a freckle on each lobe exactly where He made the punctures...

Maybe this deserves it's own thread..?

It reminds me of 'My Mum got scared by a monkey when she was carrying me, and I was born with a tail!'...or summat like that.

Back