• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

No the use of O Fortuna for the Omen has been in the popular imagination since I was a child. The reason for it, once I realised it wasn't actually in the film, is that the Old Spice ads were on around the same time as the movie was out. And the movie, containing as it does general satanic chanting rather than a recognisable piece of music, was easily parodied or imitated..whether on tv or the playground..by the use of the easily remembered well established and presumably copyright free chanting of the Old Spice theme.

Agreed. It was definitely a "thing" long before Only Fools And Horses parodied it.

Really? I didn't know that.

I do remember it in an Old Spice advert featuring a hunky surfer, which was then spoofed in an ad for Foster's lager.

I think it must be the copyright status, but although I do live the piece, standing alone the folks who make trailers think it can mean anything.

This happened to a friend. She was going through and organizing some old papers and photographs, and she turned on the television for background noise while she worked. She came across a photo of a guy she had known and briefly dated thirty years ago, then she looked up and he was speaking on the television! A notable coincidence, I thought.

Pleasant bit of synchronicity... was recently on here and read a post where someone mentioned the Black Shuck. That same day in one of my facebook groups a cyber friend who lives in Miami mentioned a strange experience late at night when she spotted a large black dog who seemed "other wordly". I told her about the Black Shuck, and she was pleased, if a little creeped out, to learn about the folklore behind her experience.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to last night, on twitter another cyber friend of mine mentioned that the Black Shuck was one of their favourite paranormal myth/legends, so I briefly tweeted her about my Miami friend's experience. Twitter friend, who lives in the north of England, then tweeted back at me that that was spooky because she had just landed in Miami that very day :eek: She knew I wasn't pulling her leg because she deliberately hadn't mentioned on social media that she was going on holiday! She was only in Miami for that one day too o_O

A couple of weeks back, I was in a city centre bar - not a frequent event these days! - and saw a slightly off-kilter group of men. They were in suits and ties, though a little dishevelled-looking. Had they been to a wedding? Stag events tend to be more fancy-dress these days.

Anyway, they were noisily playing a very stupid drinking-game which involved a small model shoe. As one of the group was selected, he had to drink from the shoe as the rest chanted "Shoe! shoe! shoe!" So far as I could see, the model could not contain much drink and they were just filling it with beer, so it was not much of a challenge. Perhaps there was a glass inside it but the object looked to be made of fabric, perhaps felt.

The amusement potential of this, even for a group of sloshed men, seemed limited but it went on for a very long time.

I wondered if they were Eastern European with some mysterious tradition of their own but every time I came within earshot, all I could hear were English accents. I can find no reference to this drinking-game online, despite finding a truly squirm-making page of wedding-games here! :eek::eek::eek:

Has anyone seen anything like this elsewhere or were these some kind of slackerish Men-in-Black who had not quite fathomed our human rituals? :confused:

me and 2 friends went through a phase of taking whiskey from a dog bowl by turns at our favourite bar in the 90s, in what is now the northern quarter, can hardly remember those days in truth, coincidentally there is now a bar across the street called dog bowl, i like to think i was part of the process, although it is a hipster hangout

A couple of weeks back, I was in a city centre bar - not a frequent event these days! - and saw a slightly off-kilter group of men. They were in suits and ties, though a little dishevelled-looking. Had they been to a wedding? Stag events tend to be more fancy-dress these days.

Anyway, they were noisily playing a very stupid drinking-game which involved a small model shoe. As one of the group was selected, he had to drink from the shoe as the rest chanted "Shoe! shoe! shoe!" So far as I could see, the model could not contain much drink and they were just filling it with beer, so it was not much of a challenge. Perhaps there was a glass inside it but the object looked to be made of fabric, perhaps felt.

The amusement potential of this, even for a group of sloshed men, seemed limited but it went on for a very long time.

I wondered if they were Eastern European with some mysterious tradition of their own but every time I came within earshot, all I could hear were English accents. I can find no reference to this drinking-game online, despite finding a truly squirm-making page of wedding-games here! :eek::eek::eek:

Has anyone seen anything like this elsewhere or were these some kind of slackerish Men-in-Black who had not quite fathomed our human rituals? :confused:

It sounded very much like a university drinking game to me, so I went looking and found that drinking from a shoe actually has some history behind it! It's called a "shoey". People are weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoey

Frankie Howerd told the tale of drinking champagne from Zsa Zsa Gabor's high heeled shoe while making the film Up the Front. He just did that for the hell of it, though, not as a game.

I've heard of men drinking champagne from a lady's shoe as a sort of tribute to her beauty.

They probably wouldn't fancy swigging from mine. :D

Yeah, it used to be a popular riff on decadence, but whether it happened much I doubt it. Not having a foot fetish I can't imagine anyone's shoes, no matter how attractive they are, being particularly appetising to drink out of.

It's called a "shoey". People are weird.

The hazing challenge or the fetishistic thing with a real shoe would have been easier to categorize, if harder to stomach. Swigging back a few fluid ounces of ale from a doll-size shoe is just so wimpish, though! :rolleyes:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this:

RAIL UNION RMT responds to pictures in this morning’s Daily Mirror of tomatoes growing in human excrement dumped on the tracks on Greater Anglia services between Southend and Liverpool Street.

The pictures, taken along the line at Rochford in Essex, are on a section of track notorious for the discharge from trains of sewage right the way into the platforms at Liverpool Street station. RMT has been fighting the government for a ban on wealthy train companies continuing the practice of dumping filth on our railways which is a serious health hazard for track and fleet staff and which creates disgusting conditions for staff and public alike.
The Government, although they have described the practice as filthy and disgusting, have done nothing to end it and have taken no action to force the train companies, extracting massive profits from the privatised railways, to fit tanks to their trains.

More (and photo's!) here: https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-responds-to-pictures-of-tomatoes-growing-in-excrement/

Not sure if this is the right place to post this:

RAIL UNION RMT responds to pictures in this morning’s Daily Mirror of tomatoes growing in human excrement dumped on the tracks on Greater Anglia services between Southend and Liverpool Street.

many years ago, i used to do a lot of shooting (air rifles mostly) and amongst some of my usual places to go was around the filter beds etc of a local-ish sewer works - after rats usually - with the occasional rabbit.
well all around these beds were tomato plants flourishing with the largest, plumpest, most juiciest looking tomatoes you could imagine...... needless to say i never tried them though - although i dare say they were probably ok to eat - its just the thought of it really :eek:
ha ha i just remembered something else...... i had an Alsation dog who would eat anything... including tomatoes... one day i saw this plant growing in the back garden, not knowing what it was i let it grow for a few weeks, sure enough it was tomatoes..... same again i wasn't in any hurry to eat any...

:p

I was watching the TV the other morning and I thought the clock had stopped. It's proper wind up 8 day movement thingy. I turned the TV sound off and listened for the tick. Which wasn't there and I was just going to get up when I realised it was there and had been the whole time, it just too a while for my brain to adjust something which was tuned out to wanting to hear it. An odd feeling.

This was weird-the other night I was sitting in the living room at a quarter to 11 when there was a knock on the door. I live in a small rural town so I was certain it was a friend of mine who sometimes comes over to vent after her husband goes to bed. I opened the door to find a man dressed up like a hardcore bicyclist asking me nervously how to register for the RV park behind my house. Well this is a small IA town. We roll up the sidewalks at around 5 pm.There's no office for the park I believe you go through the city office. I looked at his bike and saw no camping equipment strapped to it and told him the truth rather brusquely 'I can't help you I have no idea.' And I shut the door on him.
His demeanor weirded me out, and I was alone at home with my daughter. Also, if he was on a cycling trip why hadn't he researched or done anything in advance? Why wasn't he dressed for the cold night? And no camping gear?Well, nothing else happened except a couple weird noises outside and the dog on edge the rest of the night.

Also, if he was on a cycling trip why hadn't he researched or done anything in advance? Why wasn't he dressed for the cold night? And no camping gear?Well, nothing else happened except a couple weird noises outside and the dog on edge the rest of the night.
Do US-ian RV drivers have the same habit as UK motorhomers, who often strap bicycles or small motorcycles to the back of their vehicles? If so, could that be your answer? He'd driven to the RV park in climate-controlled comfort and parked up, only to realise he didn't know how to book in. Rather than get back in the driving seat (after what could, after all, have been a long drive) he decided to unstrap his pushbike and get some blood flowing as he set out to make enquiries. Or it might simply have seemed a more appropriate conveyance for traversing the streets of a small town. Or maybe he had had mechanical troubles en route, and hadn't planned to stop at your local park, thus didn't know the booking-in procedure (this might also prompt him to use the bicycle rather than risk further mechanical woe with the RV). All his camping gear, natch, would be back in the RV.

I'm glad to learn the rest of the night passed relatively smoothly.

Maybe you're right about a vehicle break-down because there was no RV in the park (really just a gravel parking lot next to the city park) at all that night. Anyway, Mr. Hammers has reminded me we are right next to a highway (unsolved murder buffs know what I mean) and said no answering the door while he's away. Sorry, vacuum salesmen. ;)

Maybe you're right about a vehicle break-down because there was no RV in the park (really just a gravel parking lot next to the city park) at all that night. Anyway, Mr. Hammers has reminded me we are right next to a highway (unsolved murder buffs know what I mean) and said no answering the door while he's away. Sorry, vacuum salesmen. ;)
Ah, sorry, I hadn't realised you could actually see the RV park, and that it was empty. Yes, I can see how that would up the strangeness ante somewhat.

Yeah, the whole incident was weird. But IA is weird. It's the one of the few places where you can pass a Corvette Club, a minivan, a combine and a lawnmower on the highway. It's a strange mix of people around. You can drive from a Norman Rockwell small town to get-me-outta here Deliverance type situations in 10 minutes.

This is just too weird for words ..

Some of you might remember that about a week back a drunk teenager shoved me against a wall about half way up our street resulting in my glasses flying off into some random garden. A few of us have tried to find them all week, I've been pulling weeds out of some woman's garden, we've used torches, sticks to shake bushes and I've flyered every possible house they could have landed in but still no joy ..

The shop I work at is about 100 yards from my house, I walk to and from it at least four times a day (not to mention the staff who use the same route,and more often more times than that, it's brightly lit at night and gets very busy during the school run times when hundreds of kids and parents stomp up and down it ..

So, how on earth have I just found them, not a scratch on them on the pavement opposite the school about three quarters of the way to my shop? .. one arm folded in, one arm unfolded .. the lenses are even clean!!! WTF? :huh::):cool: ..

The locals know about the assault so perhaps one saw me walking up the hill to the shop, planted them there because they didn't want to get involved ? ... but then why not wait and then just hand them back to me instead and say "I'd rather not get involved" than risk someone or me standing on them ?

.. this lad has a sister and it's school run time so perhaps the lad had them all along, she nabbed them when he wasn't looking and placed them there for me to find ? .. or perhaps 'someone' is smiling down on me ? ..

I don't know? .. weird! ... it's saved me seventy quid though.

Last edited:
It sounds like an embarrassed kid thing to do. Probably the boy or someone close to him returned them in the most 'anonymous' way they could think of.
Or it was your gaurdian angel.:D

Back