• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Sri Lankan friend

Another coincidence! I posted about Sri Lanka a short while ago in a thread about tea. As I typed the name Sri Lanka, I was thinking, "I have not heard that name in a while. Is it still called that?"

As you have a friend there, I'll take your word that it is! :)

She lives here now but still identifies as Sri Lankan.
Another of my friends said they are visiting Sri Lanka next year so presumedly it's still called that.

The man who does my garden also works part time at a Christian college as a handyman.
He said that the other night he was called because one of the boarding students had locked himself out of his room.
The keys he had for the building weren't for this floor as it had been built on later than the bottom part but he tried all the keys anyway.
None of them fitted so after trying the last key he noticed he had a key for the company that empties the skip and on a whim he tried it and it opened the door.
The student was delighted and asked if he could borrow it to have one cut so he said he would make sure it worked again before he gave it to him.
It never worked again.

If you pop into another dimension what mechanism could there be to ensure you popped back to the right one? And if you didn't the discrepancies would mount up.
But you probably wouldn't even notice most of the discrepencies. If I popped into a universe where mobile phone shops were disappearing in Crewe, I'd be none the wiser. I'd only notice discrepencies that were really local or really big. Godzilla being real, Donald Trump being president, that kind of thing.

The man who does my garden also works part time at a Christian college as a handyman.
He said that the other night he was called because one of the boarding students had locked himself out of his room.
The keys he had for the building weren't for this floor as it had been built on later than the bottom part but he tried all the keys anyway.
None of them fitted so after trying the last key he noticed he had a key for the company that empties the skip and on a whim he tried it and it opened the door.
The student was delighted and asked if he could borrow it to have one cut so he said he would make sure it worked again before he gave it to him.
It never worked again.

I don't know much about locks, but is it possible that one of the keys turned/released some of the tumblers, and then the skip key opened the others?

Even if that is possible, it's still a massive coincidence I would have thought!

But you probably wouldn't even notice most of the discrepencies. If I popped into a universe where mobile phone shops were disappearing in Crewe, I'd be none the wiser. I'd only notice discrepencies that were really local or really big. Godzilla being real, Donald Trump being president, that kind of thing.

I used to live in a universe where the word "dilemma" was spelled "dilemna". And I am not the only one. There is an entire webpage devoted to it. I have many others, including whether there is always a teaspoon in the bottom of the washing up bowl when I tip it out or never a teaspoon there. I alternate between those two.

One of the interesting things about this spelling 'error' is that on first discovery many report feeling a bit physically shaken by it - as if a fundamental building block in their upbringing has suddenly crumbled away and left them feeling slightly disorientated. That's certainly the way I initially felt and was pleased to see that I'm not alone!

I've heard of that universe, but I've certainly never lived there myself.

The one I grew up in is one of those in which Carl Orff's O Fortuna featured in the film The Omen.

I seem to remember that being played in a fillum scene about excommunication. Possibly Becket? I dunno.

Edit - googled it -

1981-1991: In the BBC sitcom Only Fools and Horses, whenever Rodney sees his nephew Damien, who was named after the child in The Omen. This has led to a common false belief that the piece appears in The Omen.

So there you go! ;)

No mention of Thomas a Beckett though.

I remember when opaque meant 'slightly see through'

Now it means solid a colour/material you CAN'T see through.:banghead:

The one I grew up in is one of those in which Carl Orff's O Fortuna featured in the film The Omen.
I think I've fallen into a universe where no one cares about spelling or grammar. Well that's what Facebook feels like.

It's nice to come here where people can type properly.

I think I've fallen into a universe where no one cares about spelling or grammar. Well that's what Facebook feels like.

By an excellent co-incidence, that is the same one us dilemna people started off in.

For fairly young readers of this please note that I and and other older dilemna spellers were educated in a time long before mobiles and emails, when correct spelling was seen as not only being important, but actually almost crucial to a good education.

I love the "almost" bit. The concept is just so foreign now.

It's nice to come here where most people can type properly.

But even so, I'll spot a few "their, there, they're" type errors every day.

im a stickler for good spelling but unless the meaning is obscured i tend to drop apostrophes as i find them redundant

the opaque conundrum i think is caused by its frequent use to describe glass, eg. shower panels, bathroom windows ... which would then promote the idea of meaning somewhat translucent

I tend to spell incorrectly by typing too quickly and not looking at what I've written. Not because I can't spell.

I think often my mistakes are my phone being 'helpful' and changing things that really didn't need changing ( I mean why change a perfectly valid word? :banghead:).

On Monday night, I had a dream that featured 2 former good friends that I haven't seen for roughly 10 years.

Yesterday, I bumped into one of them in town, which I rarely go to unless I have to visit the bank or need an emergency pair of socks.
Today, I meet the other one leaving a music shop as I'm coming in to have my weekly guitar lesson.

I tend to spell incorrectly by typing too quickly and not looking at what I've written. Not because I can't spell.
^This.

I have lost track of how many times I have posted only to find a glaringly obvious mistake a few seconds later. I blame sausage fingers and bad typing posture.

I'm a decent enough speller but a terrible typist. The spellcheck picks up on most errors, but I've noticed MS Word is correcting my grammar now, with some really awful suggestions. I don't express myself like that, Mr Computer.

im a stickler for good spelling but unless the meaning is obscured i tend to drop apostrophes as i find them redundant

the opaque conundrum i think is caused by its frequent use to describe glass, eg. shower panels, bathroom windows ... which would then promote the idea of meaning somewhat translucent

Thinking about it, 'degrees of opacity',( as in the photoshop slider) that adjusts the image/font translucency is probably the rather dull reason for my confusion.

I'm a decent enough speller but a terrible typist. The spellcheck picks up on most errors, but I've noticed MS Word is correcting my grammar now, with some really awful suggestions. I don't express myself like that, Mr Computer.

Well, my grammar is sometimes a mess, but it's on purpose, if that makes it any better. :p My point is to write as I speak, so if I ever met any forum member in real life, they would be able to say "she's just the same as she is on the forum." That may be for good or ill, but it's sort of an integrity thing for me.

Yeah I've had Word come up with some weird grammar ideas in the past.

Two minor oddities in one brief tale.

My late brother, to distinguish him from our dad, was addressed in all official correspondence and documents by his first AND second name. Gerard Conor. A few days ago I was thinking of him for no particular reason when I did a mental double-take. The regional news was on the tv behind me and I was sure they just said his name at the very moment I was thinking of him. I had to google the local news to check I'd not imagined it. Sure enough there was a report of a Gerrard Connor (note the different spelling) being arrested for arson.

This may not meet the standards of even trivial forteana, but its helped by the name of the reporter in the written account of the incident. How he signs his name without getting a slap is anyone's guess.....

14925708_10155358146853572_6000967346437147935_n.jpg

O Fortuna is frequently used in film trailers before the actual score is done so you may have heard it in a trailer for The Omen that has been replaced.

O Fortuna is frequently used in film trailers before the actual score is done so you may have heard it in a trailer for The Omen that has been replaced.

Damn stop correcting me. Replayed.

Really? I didn't know that.

I do remember it in an Old Spice advert featuring a hunky surfer, which was then spoofed in an ad for Foster's lager.

Back