An Odd Bit Of Road

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
‘The upright horses were positioned in motion, as though leaping upwards out of the grave."
One of my older sisters bred Great Danes and as their boys and girls passed away her partner would dig a LARGE hole in the garden and as rigor mortis set in they would be buried standing up and facing towards the rising sun. Apparently it is some sort of tradition but I cannot verify where it originated.
When someone buys that house and does a bit of work in the garden they will be in for a big shock.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
One of my older sisters bred Great Danes and as their boys and girls passed away her partner would dig a LARGE hole in the garden and as rigor mortis set in they would be buried standing up and facing towards the rising sun. Apparently it is some sort of tradition but I cannot verify where it originated.
When someone buys that house and does a bit of work in the garden they will be in for a big shock.
You might consider redrafting the above post. Just for clarity...

;)

maximus otter

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
I'm working my way through every serial killer doc there is (Killer Docs) and one featured the area around Lincoln (in Yorks?). Mayhaps you drove by an undiscovered grave of some murdered prossy. Peter Sutcliffe's old haunt?

Last edited:

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A great Dane is a pretty hefty lump, must have been a hell of a deep hole.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the logistics of that.
OK, it's a big dog, it dies and you pose it as if it's standing up.
Presumably Fido is immediately laid on his side, with the head and uppermost legs propped up, while rigor mortis does its job to give the standing effect.

Meanwhile the owners dig the grave, which must be quite a bit wider than the dog's body to allow for the space underneath the animal's abdomen to be filled in after the now stiffly standing late Fido is installed.
Or is the grave dug with deeper excavations at the back and front to accommodate the legs so Fido can be neatly slotted in? If so, how?

Not taking the mick, it really does puzzle me.

It's the sort of conundrum Stephen King tackles in Dolan's Cadillac by having the protagonist present a maths teacher with a thinly-disguised science fiction-style version of his car-sized grave scenario.