• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

An Odd Bit Of Road

I felt a touch sorry for the guy who had a Panther in his basement and had it confiscated. Don't know if he got it back or not.

"The tank's German owner had resurrected it from a scap pile 40 years earlier in the United Kingdom. The tank was made from war time parts by a factory under British management, and used by British in tests. In May 1945 the Panther Factory fell into British occupation zone. To analyze Panthers the Bristish needed new tanks in good working order for testing, so they assembled a total of 9 Panthers and 12 Jagdpanther and shipped them all to the UK for Post-war military testing. The British made tanks were produced at a gun factory in Laatzen south of Hanover, Germany.

The Heikendorf Panther ended up in a scrap yard after it was used and discarded by the British Army. In the early 1970's a German millionaire bought the Panther when the scrapyard was being cleared and had it shipped back to Germany. By the late 1970's the Panther was put back into working order and it was often seen driving around Heikendorf. It has been suggested that the tank's engine was being partially maintained by a Bundeswehr unit who look after other World War Two tanks in German museums.

The owner had a 2005 note from the local German government that stated that the Panther had been de-militarized, meaning the main gun could not be fired with live ammunition. But in July 2015 the Panther along with the millionaire's other vehicles and weapons were seized by the authorities.

The tank was seized and taken by the Bundeswehr to Truppenübungsplatz (the German Army Training Area) Putlos, Germany, for storage and is where the tank remains today.

On January 2017 the tank's owner was taken to court for violations of the Deutsche Gesetz über die Kontrolle von Kriegswaffen (German War Weapons Control Act). Mr. Klaus-Dieter F.'s attorney Peter Gramsch from Kiel, told the local news that all the items had been properly demilitarized and registered. The fate of this 83 year-old (in 2020) military collector and tank owner has yet to be settled."

maximus otter

That sounds like such a disturbing experience. This is such a lucid account. I would love to know if there is any scientific literature on such potentially lethal hallucinations so clearly recounted by the persons who experienced them. Well rested, bright morning light, coffee, full attention, happy thoughts--not likely contributors to unreal visions. :oops:

That sounds like such a disturbing experience. This is such a lucid account. I would love to know if there is any scientific literature on such potentially lethal hallucinations so clearly recounted by the persons who experienced them. Well rested, bright morning light, coffee, full attention, happy thoughts--not likely contributors to unreal visions. :oops:
If you read the original post that made him/her write his/her account, in that story there were two people in the car who experienced it together That would rule out an inner hallucination type answer, unless you wanted to go down the shared delusion route.

The story proper freaked me out. People in the comments refering to stories of fae "luring" people into the forest. Lethal road trickster.

One thing that always occurs to me is that, unless the other person is present to corroborate that they saw / experienced the same thing, I have only one person's word for what that other person saw / experienced. When the incident happened years before, I am even more wary of taking the teller's word that other people present experienced it in the same way.
It's not that I believe people are lying, to me or to themselves. It's that so many times people have misunderstood my reaction to an event or my interpretation of an event we both had gone through. I noticed different details, and came up with different interpretations of what had transpired. I am not very impressive in person, and so the other person's description of "what we both saw happen" often became the standard version that other people actually listened to and so heard. Add to this the mutability of memories, and you get plenty of anomalies to distort "the facts" where no dishonest intentions plays a part. And to be clear, I'm not asserting that I ever had the "right" version, and the other person had an imperfect or "wrong" version.
Nonetheless, the Reddit account you posted, Scribbles, is super disturbing, because whatever caused this experience, the visual disturbance and the uncharacteristic inner monologue, could afflict any clear headed and apparently sane person.

One thing that always occurs to me is that, unless the other person is present to corroborate that they saw / experienced the same thing, I have only one person's word for what that other person saw / experienced. When the incident happened years before, I am even more wary of taking the teller's word that other people present experienced it in the same way.
It's not that I believe people are lying, to me or to themselves. It's that so many times people have misunderstood my reaction to an event or my interpretation of an event we both had gone through. I noticed different details, and came up with different interpretations of what had transpired. I am not very impressive in person, and so the other person's description of "what we both saw happen" often became the standard version that other people actually listened to and so heard. Add to this the mutability of memories, and you get plenty of anomalies to distort "the facts" where no dishonest intentions plays a part. And to be clear, I'm not asserting that I ever had the "right" version, and the other person had an imperfect or "wrong" version.
Nonetheless, the Reddit account you posted, Scribbles, is super disturbing, because whatever caused this experience, the visual disturbance and the uncharacteristic inner monologue, could afflict any clear headed and apparently sane person.
You're right IbisNibs, and what's worse is that we're all familiar with the second witness who denies anything happened, or minimises it, because they don't want the social backlash.

Back