• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animal Sleeping Behavior (& Do They Dream?)

A

Anonymous

Any ornithologists out there?... i read recently that "swifts sleep on the wing" How do 'they' know that?.... can you think of a way of finding it out?

Maybe it's a sort of 'auto pilot' function rather than actual sleep, Jon.

Carole

It's another level of consciousness, I suppose. But does what humans call sleep occur in other 'lesser' animals? What about fish? Do they sleep while they're swimming or what?

Carole

Do they indeed!....... i dont know and the dificulty of establishing it in flight is another question!... Is it perhapse something to do with REM (rapid eye movement) sleep i.e. dreaming?

I remember a thing about sharks never sleeping because they would die if stopped swimming and swooshing water through their gills. That was followed up with an idea that they 'semi sleep' while swimming slowly. Maybe Swifts do the same sort of micro power nap. But surley they can't spend their entire lives on the wing... they nest don't they? I'd catch a brief nap then.

sam said:
I remember a thing about sharks never sleeping because they would die if stopped swimming and swooshing water through their gills. That was followed up with an idea that they 'semi sleep' while swimming slowly. Maybe Swifts do the same sort of micro power nap. But surley they can't spend their entire lives on the wing... they nest don't they? I'd catch a brief nap then.

yes but i saw a Cousteau prog that had sleeping stationary sharks in it! Sharks can pump water past thier gills when not on the move it seems as can most fish. ... im still wondering how Swifts are judged to sleep "on the wing" it seems a blithly simple statement with no backing!...

Last edited by a moderator:
i b'lieve that only certain sharks can do this and that almost all others must constantly move.

Faggus said:
i b'lieve that only certain sharks can do this and that almost all others must constantly move.

and how does one tell when a Great White is sleeping?...

Swifts do most things flying - including mate . They only land to nest and rear their young , the young , when they fly , do not land again until they make their own nests as adults so presumably they either sleep ( probably in very brief moments ) on the wing or don't sleep at all .

From Richard Fitter (ed.), (1969), The Book of British Birds, Drive Publications, London, p46:

[Swifts] ... never alight on the ground except by accident. They feed on the wing, sometimes mate on the wing [!], and even sleep on the wing. At dusk, swifts circle higher and higher until they disappear from sight. It used to be thought that they returned after dark to roost at their nests, but it is now known that those which are not incubating eggs or brooding young remain aloft until sunrise, probably cat-napping on currents of rising air between short spells of flapping to gain height.

From Oliver L Austin, (1968), Birds of the World, Spring Books, London, pp165-166:

Their flight is so effortless that swifts apparently need little rest. They probably spend more of their waking hours in the air than do any other land birds. An ancient belief had it swifts roosted in the Heavens. In recent years two lines of research have been used to show that some swifts do spend the night on the wing. One was to fix an automatic device to the entrance to the nests to register whether the birds entered or left them during the hours of darkness. The other was to go up in aeroplane and actually see the birds at night.

The swift is not the most amazing, though! From Mark Carwardine, (1995), The Guinness Book of Animal Records, Guinness, Middlesex, pp127-128:

The most aerial of all birds is the sooty tern, which is widespread throughout the tropical oceans. After leaving its nesting grounds as a youngster, it is reputed to remain aloftr continuously for 3-10 years until it is old enough to breed for the first time. Although this is impossible to prove, research suggests that it does not need to return to land to rest but, as long as there is enough food available, can stay in the air indefinitely. It does not even need to settle on the sea to feed ...

The most aerial land bird is the common swift, which remains airbourne for 2-4 years after fledgling, during which time it sleeps, drinks, eats and even mates on the wing. ...

Funny, I was going to start a thread asking whether all animals (inc. birds, fish) sleep... but this seems to be going in the same direction anyway. Great minds think alike, or the Idea virus is particually virulent this week :)

As to whether anyone actually knows whether swifts sleep on the wing... much as I would like to imagine David whatshisname hovering in a helicopter studying the eye movements of these little demons, I suspect it's just conjecture.

Jane.

I seem to remember that swifts fly very high then "catnap" on the way down ,gliding. Another old name for them is Devilbird, because off their looks and the noise they make. Fish do sleep ,I have four large aquariums full of them and they definatly sleep, just rest in plants or sleep on the bottom. Dolphins and other toothed whales sleep with one half of their brain at a time.

We know that humans/simians and certain animals like cats and dogs "dream"... or what we perceive as dreams... :rolleyes:

but do other animals or even insects etc also dream?

If you think about it, when humans dream, most of the time, it's a scientifically accepted "theory" that it's the brain's way if working through the events of the day.

What I suppose I'm trying to get at is this. Take the shark (not literally):D . We know that in order to survive while sleeping, the area of the brain that controls "motor" functions remains switched on during rest periods.

In humans, this area is usually inactive during moments of 'rem' sleep (excepting those who "sleepwalk").

So, do sharks experience rem and "dream" of swimming, or is it simply an automatic response evolved over time to deal with the prospect of "drowning"?

How far do we have to go down the food chain before imagination
ceases to be a factor in moments of rest? I mean, what does a bee think about at night when there's no pollen to collect?

Does the ability to dream rely on the "general" intelligence of the species in question; is it restricted to mammalian exponents of fauna; or can anything defined as "alive" (sentient) dream as well?

melf said:
If you think about it, when humans dream, most of the time, it's a scientifically accepted "theory" that it's the brain's way if working through the events of the day.
I know there's no "proof" that animals dream in the same way that we do, but it makes sense purely from the standpoint of filing and sorting sensory input. Animals are capable of learning and adjusting behavior.

One of the reasons I'm sure my dog dreams is because domestic animals live in a very confusing environment. It's set up for humans and everything is done by human rules, so they have to curb their natural desires quite a bit in order to live with us. Trying to make sense of the confusing events of the day must be part of my dog's dream cycle.

Wild animals have to learn in their environments, too. I've never thought about sharks, though. They seem so alien, like an aquatic shop-vac.

I bet we've all seen dogs in REM-stage sheep, with their legs making occasional twitches, as if running. You can imagine a dog's wish-fulfillment dream, just a machine throwing a stick over and over, never getting bored.

Didn't people think for a long time that sharks didn't sleep ? They need to keep moving foward in order to move enough water through the gills to breathe.
Until some diver found a couple having a doze on the seabed, I think I remember their sleep being more of a comatose condition than dream sleep.

I am sure some of those of us in our twenties/thirties would have had nightmares after watching 'Jaws' for the first time, about sharks coming up the lavatory or the plughole.
I wonder if young sharks dream about swallowing oxygen cylinders ?

A Google reveals:
"The length of R.E.M. sleep varies in different species. The platypus can claim the largest amount with seven to eight hours of R.E.M.sleep daily. The giraffe has only half an hour. Humans generally have an average of 1.9 hours of R.E.M. sleep nightly.

There may be a correlation between the amount of R.E.M. sleep and intelligence. However, this has not been proven, and the amounts vary so greatly across the board that it leaves much to be explained. "
from http://sleepdisorders.about.com/cs/sleepdeprivation/a/animalkingdom_3.htm
And also
http://www.nature.com/nsu/980813/980813-5.html
http://www.rockefeller.edu/pubinfo/ribeiro.nr.html
And:
"Amphibians and Fish have never been found to have any similar experience to REM sleep.

Birds spend about 5% of their sleep time in REM sleep. They seem to have very brief dreaming episodes.

Most Mammals experience REM sleep. Ruminating animals, animals that chew their cud, get very little (if any) REM sleep.

Reptiles have rapid eye movements during sleep, but they are not accompanied with brain waves similar to those of humans during REM sleep. This partial REM sleep may be a clue in the evolution of REM sleep and dreaming."
from http://library.thinkquest.org/25553/english/animals/how/remanim.shtml?tqskip1=1
And: "Being asleep can mean different things to different fish. Some fish and amphibians reduce their awareness but do not ever become unconscious like the higher vertebrates do. Fish have time periods when they become less aware of their surroundings but their brain waves do not change, and they do not exhibit REM sleep. They aren’t quite asleep but they don’t seem to be fully awake either.

Some fish undergo a yearly sleep cycle. They hibernate and their metabolic rate slows down. Although they do not hibernate like mammals, as environmental temperatures fall, their metabolic rate and activity decrease, and they go into a stupor and stop feeding. They usually adopt a position towards the bottom of the pond.

Some fish practice estivation, a state of torpor or dormancy in which they spend time during hot, dry periods to protect themselves from dehydration. The African lungfish buries itself in mud and survives the dry season protected by a cocoon of mud in the riverbed. Carp spend the winter partly buried in lake mud, and in tropical countries many fish sleep, or estivate, through the summer months when swamps and rivers dry up. Walking perch and lungfish bury themselves in mud, leaving only an airhole open, and breathe by means of their lungs. One of the gobies of the Ganges River delta digs a burrow and sleeps through the dry months with only the tip of its tail touching the water. It apparently breathes through its tail.

Some fish make elaborate preparations for sleep. In David Feldman’s book When Do Fish Sleep?, a scientist describes the nightly ritual of a tired parrotfish that lives in reefs near shore. The parrotfish squeezes into a crevice on the reef. Once settled in, it begins oozing a jelly-like mucus, which forms a protective membrane over his body, and then he nods off into a deep sleep.

Some fish are motionless in the water during the night, while other fish, like rockfish and grouper, don’t appear to sleep at all. They rest against rocks, bracing themselves with their fins. Some freshwater fish, like catfish, swim up under a log or river bank for shelter during the day.

Finally, some fish don’t hide the fact that they take an occasional nap. One of the favorite habits of the clown loach, which has alarmed most new clown loach keepers in the past, is that of resting on the bottom of the aquarium on their sides. They appear as though they are dead or sick, but this is just one of the positions that they adopt when resting.

It’s probable that fish do sleep in some form, whether slowing down or coming to a complete stop, whether hiding or doing it right in the open. But when they sleep the slightest ripple in the water will disturb them. Nevertheless, in some way they rest, just as we do."
From http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=3790

So the probable answer is no. :)

Some sharks do need to continuously swim to push water past their gills, however I do not know if they ever enter a state similar to sleep.

I've personally seen a nurse shark sitting in a little grotto, seemingly asleep, but whether it was truly asleep, I don't know.

However, the more advanced an animal, the more propensity towards dreaming, one would think.

If dreaming is a product of the brains filing/index system, correlating and interlinking ideas and events and contextual data and all that, then it would only make sense that to dream, as we understand it, would require some intellect.

Sharks, AFAIK, are more pre-programmed than anything. I don't think they learn, like a human or even a parrot would. Most of the behaviors/reactions/responses are probably pretty hard wired after 230 million years of evolution (in the direction that sharks have).

However, sharks dreaming of a yum yum yellow wet suit wouldn't be the most unusual thing, if it were true.

dreams are soemtimes said to be "for" other things as well aren't they... so the creatures with recognisable "sleep" patterns, are they astral travelling? receiving precognition?

and yes, I should still be asleep at this point! Great data there beakboo by the way.

Kath

joester said:
I bet we've all seen dogs in REM-stage sheep, with their legs making occasional twitches, as if running. You can imagine a dog's wish-fulfillment dream, just a machine throwing a stick over and over, never getting bored.
There was an experiment on TV once years back to examine what kinds of things animals dream about. I seem to remember that the cat who was being tested had a nerve or some such numbed, temporarily shutting off whatever mechanism stops you getting up and walking about while you're asleep ('sleepwalking', of course, being a bit different than full sleep). Fairly bizarre to watch the cat - completely asleep - leaping around the glass box it had been put in grabbing at things in the air. Presumably its dream birds or butterflies. :)

IIRC Dolphins and certain types of armadillo are the only mammals that don't dream.

The weird thing about dolphins is that they're similar to birds that have binocular vision in that they experience unihemispherical sleep, which is to say that they can't shut the whole brain down to sleep because they have to keep surfacing to breathe, so quite literally each hemisphere of the brain takes turns at sleeping.

I wonder what that feels like?

Waves of sleep wash over seagulls
By Matt Walker
Editor, Earth News

As darkness falls and thoughts turn to slumber, waves of sleep wash over seagulls huddling against the elements.
This is not poetry, but a discovery made by a scientist who has been studying sleep in bird colonies.

He found that seagulls learn from each other when it is safe to nod off, resulting in "waves of sleep" passing through seagull colonies as the birds enter differing states of vigilance.
This is the first time such behaviour has been documented.

The work is reported in the journal Ethology.
Like many other species, seagulls open and close their eyes periodically while sleeping. That allows them to monitor what is going on around them while they are resting.
"But not to the extent that they could if they were awake," explains Dr Guy Beauchamp of the University of Montreal, Canada.

So sleeping is risky, as it makes the birds vulnerable to predators.
Yet, until now, it has not been clear what information seagulls use to decide when to sleep.
For example, do they base the decision on their own experiences, or do they monitor what other seagulls are doing?

If many birds are sleeping, that may be a sign that it is safe to nap; equally, if few are sleeping, a seagull may decide that it will be more vulnerable to attack if it is asleep while more vigilant group members are awake.

Dr Beauchamp investigated this puzzle by studying how the sleep patterns of seagulls (Larusspp) change over time at loafing sites in the Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick, Canada.
He noted how often individual birds slept within a colony over fixed periods of time.
"Sleeping is easy to score because gulls usually sleep with their bills tucked into their [feathers]. Every minute or two, I calculated the proportion of sleeping birds in the group."

These counts revealed that gulls with more alert neighbours opened their eyes more often while sleeping.
"So seagulls do pay attention to what their neighbours are doing, and adjust their sleep pattern accordingly," he told the BBC.

What is more, as the gulls tended to copy the behaviour of their neighbours, Dr Beauchamp recorded waves of sleep passing through the colony, with the proportion of sleeping gulls rising and then decreasing through time.
"It was not obvious if temporal waves would occur. They are predicted to occur when copying is important, but it had never been documented before," he says.

Dr Beauchamp's results add weight to a growing view among biologists that vigilance in animals is a social phenomenon.
Individual animals adjust their behaviour - for example by deciding when to sleep - according to their own perception, but also in response to information gleaned from the behaviour of their companions.
Such behaviour then leads to a collective phenomenon, in this case waves of sleep.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 400770.stm

Pretty amazing. Does it stay awake for the 11 days or sleep whilst flying I wonder? Maybe micro-naps along the way..

A study on frigatebirds shows some birds do indeed sleep whilst flying

To record brain activity, the team attached a small device to the heads of frigatebirds while they were still on land. The device used electroencephalography (EEG) to identify if and when the birds were asleep while they flew over the ocean. After about 10 days of non-stop flight, the birds returned to land, and the researchers recollected the devices to observe the results.

The team predicted that the flying frigatebirds would exhibit unihemispheric slow wave sleep (USWS), a phenomenon in which animals sleep with only one hemisphere of the brain at a time, allowing them to keep one eye open to watch out for potential threats.

Dolphins have also been observed exhibiting USWS, allowing them to sleep while they are still swimming.As predicted, the frigatebirds were found to use USWS while flying, leaving one eye open as they circled over the ocean. "The frigatebirds may be keeping an eye out for other birds to prevent collisions much like ducks keep an eye out for predators," Rattenborg explained.

The frigatebirds were also found to exhibit bihemispheric sleep, in which both hemispheres of the brain are asleep at the same time. This means that frigatebirds are able to fly with both of their eyes closed. The monitored birds even experienced brief bouts of rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, although they lasted only a few seconds. During REM sleep, muscle tone is reduced, causing birds' heads to droop. Despite this muscle tone reduction, REM sleep was not found to affect the birds' flight patterns.

Although the frigatebirds did sleep for brief periods of time in mid-flight, they spent a majority of the flight awake. While flying, however, they spent less than 3% of their time asleep, sleeping about 42 minutes per day on average. Mid-flight sleeping also occurred almost exclusively at night

Latest report strongly suggests that octopi dream, and dream perchance to learn:
https://www.cell.com/iscience/fulltext/S2589-0042(21)00191-7

"The recent evidence of ‘Active Sleep’ in Drosophila suggests strong selection pressure across evolution for an alternation between ‘Quiet’ and ‘Active’ sleep states. The occurrence of the non-REM/REM alternation in mammals, birds, and in some reptiles, such as in the bearded dragon and in the argentine tegu Salvator merianae, points to a common origin of the wake-sleep cycle in these groups of animals, which share a common ancestor.

However, considering that cephalopods split from vertebrates more than 500 million years ago, it is likely that the sleep behaviors observed here, despite their similarity to those found in amniotes, are analogous rather than homologous to these states. . . . Cephalopods have evolved de novoneural structures termed lobes, including the vertical lobe that is involved in long-term memory and shares some functional features with the mammalian hippocampus. Indeed, cephalopod evolution seems to have converged with vertebrates with regard to the neural mechanisms underlying learning. It remains to be investigated whether the physiological functions of sleep, in this far-evolving taxon, also resemble the functions performed in amniotes, such as metabolic detoxification and cognitive processing."

Spiders are the latest animals whose sleep has become a research focus. Newly published research suggests spiders rest in a state that appears to be similar to REM phase sleep in humans, but the implications are unclear and controversial.
Do spiders sleep? Study suggests they may snooze like humans

It’s a question that keeps some scientists awake at night: Do spiders sleep?

Daniela Roessler and her colleagues trained cameras on baby jumping spiders at night to find out. The footage showed patterns that looked a lot like sleep cycles: The spiders’ legs twitched and parts of their eyes flickered.

The researchers described this pattern as a “REM sleep-like state.” In humans, REM, or rapid eye movement, is an active phase of sleep when parts of the brain light up with activity and is closely linked with dreaming.

Other animals, including some birds and mammals, have been shown to experience REM sleep. But creatures like the jumping spider haven’t gotten as much attention so it wasn’t known if they got the same kind of sleep, said Roessler, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Konstanz in Germany. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/science-...dcfd7?utm_source=Connatix&utm_medium=HomePage

PUBLISHED RESEARCH REPORT: https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2204754119

I am positive that my cats dream while sleeping - their little feet are running while they are fast asleep, they must be dreaming about chasing something or playing!

The Coal-hound use to bark, yip and run in her sleep, certainly chasing summat...

Do spiders sleep? Study suggests they may snooze like humans.

I read that as snore like humans. I've not been well.

The Coal-hound use to bark, yip and run in her sleep, certainly chasing summat...
Ours goes ''yip, yip, yip.....grrrrrrrrrr''. MrsF proclaims that the ''yip, yip yip'' is the dog dreaming of her and the ''grrrrrrrr'' is the dog dreaming of me. All accompanied by twitching front paws.

Back