• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Who’s going to be a millionaire? The Irish inventor of a spider catcher, named the Spider Catcher, if arachnophobes around the world have anything to do with it.

Tony Allen, originally from Dublin and now living in Fermoy, County Cork, created the Spider Catcher because of his son’s arachnophobia and his wife’s complaints about marks on the walls after he had “disposed” of the insects. The device, which works like a grabber usually used as a mobility aid, scoops up the insects so they can be removed the house, thus sparing them from an untimely demise.

After a great deal of hard work from the entrepreneurial inventor his product is now in demand worldwide. The Spider Catcher is now on sale online, through TV ads and in stores such as Walmart and even the gift shop in London's Natural History Museum. The Spider Catcher has already won a Gold Medal with distinction at the Geneva Inventors Show and has starred in numerous TV shows. ...

http://www.irishcentral.com/culture...m_campaign=Best of IrishCentral - 2016-Apr-15

Vid at link.

If she's really scared of them she could just use the suction hose of an ordinary vacuum and if they are dangerous ones suck up a bit of flour so she can safely dispose of them later.

If she's really scared of them she could just use the suction hose of an ordinary vacuum and if they are dangerous ones suck up a bit of flour so she can safely dispose of them later.
Flour?

I'm just going to say that apart from the very heavy weight on top of a spither, most of the above posts have given me anxiety. I think I'll go and have a look at photos of the Grand Canyon for something a little less nerve-wracking....

Eyron Ren if you are really terrified of them keep a can of hairspray handy.
They go really stiff and you can see they are dead straight away.
The only ones I'd do this to are white tails and red backs, I actually like the fact they eat any insects that come inside in the autumn.

Reactions: Jim
The only ones I'd do this to are white tails and red backs, I actually like the fact they eat any insects that come inside in the autumn.

I thought you were about to suggest lighting the spray and using it as a flamethrower. :evil:

If you did that you probably wouldn't have a house to kick them out of anyway.
I just suggested flour and hairspray because I've used them on occasions successfully.

Does flour only work in the context of a vacuum cleaner, or can it be applied al fresco, as it were?

And, since I recently stumbled unprepared upon an acquaintance's photo from a Cambodian eatery, does it improve the flavour when deep-fried? :cry:

It might get a bit messy if you were chasing a spider around trying to sprinkle it with flour. In a vacuum it's contained and the puffs of flour are enough to block the breathing holes in it's legs.
I haven't tried any fried. I wouldn't think there would be much meat on them.

Is there any truth to the idea that some spiders (I think it was black widows but it might have been red backs or both) often sit under toilet seats and are known to bite the genitals of those unfortunate enough to sit on them? Because, if there is any truth to it, I'm wearing nappies for the rest of my life.

This beast was in my garage tonight,
it's on a ammunition box, the lid is just
less than a inch thick and the batten to
the left 2 by 1 inch, the pic does not do
it credit biggest I have seen.

DSCF7076_zpsrhkf7y8f.jpg

I caught a false widow in my shed, with an egg sac. Big girl likes small crickets.

It's daft, I've kept spiders that could quite easily land me a lengthy stay in hospital, never bothered me in the least. Terrified of wasps though

If a wasp is flying near my face I try to keep still. It generally will have a nosy around and then bugger off. The last thing I need is someone trying to swat it with something, in all likelihood annoying it and greatly increasing the chance that I may get stung.

Aggressive spiders cause panic on Canada-bound plane
Two tarantulas that likely escaped from a passenger’s bag caused upheaval on an Air Transat flight from Punta Cana, in the Dominican Republic, to Montreal

The tarantulas were likely a species common to the Dominican Republic. Photograph: Petar Petrov/AP
Ashifa Kassam in Toronto
The sight of tarantulas scurrying through the cabin on a recent Canada-bound flight left passengers screaming and standing on their seats, as flight attendants warned them to keep their ankles covered.

The two hairy spiders were spotted towards the end of an Air Transat flight from Punta Cana, in the Dominican Republic, to Montreal in April.

“I was wearing a skirt and a spider crawled up my leg,” Catherine Moreau of Québec told Radio-Canada. “It was during the meal. My husband managed to catch the spider in a plastic container, but it wriggled its legs out. My daughter was crying, she was in shock.”

Flight attendants, she added, weren’t sure what to do, with some of them scared to come near the spiders.

The union that represents Air Transat flight attendants said the plane’s crew did all they could to keep passengers calm, instructing them to put their shoes on and cover their ankles. “They gave first aid to the person who said that a spider climbed their legs,” said Julie Roberts.

One of the spiders was captured during the flight. The second continued to roam the interior of the plane until the flight landed in Montreal, where it was trapped by a federal agent.

The tarantulas were likely Phormictopus cancerides, a species common to the Dominican Republic, Montreal-based entomologist Étienne Normandin told Radio-Canada. Ranging in length between 10cm and 20cm, the spider has fangs that can grow to 2cm or more.

Normandin described it as an aggressive species, but one whose venom is not very powerful.

Pointing to a lucrative market for live tarantulas, Normandin speculated the spiders may have been hidden in a passenger’s carry-on. “It’s a species that is often sold,” he said. Adult males of the species are coveted for the blue sheen on their carapace, which fades to a brass colour over time.

Air Transat described it as an “extraordinary and isolated event”. A spokesperson for the airline added in an email, “Passengers who have seen the spiders (we have no confirmation of the species) were certainly surprised, but according to our flight report, they reacted calmly.”

The union said several recommendations had emerged from the incident, resulting in a clear procedure to be followed should a similar incident occur in the future.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-cause-panic-canada-plane-dominican-republic

I do like spiders and snakes, despite what the rest says!

Terrifying new tarantula with poisonous hairs protruding from body discovered by stunned scientists
  • 10:35, 30 JUN 2016
  • UPDATED 11:15, 30 JUN 2016
  • BY JOHN VON RADOWITZ
The four-inch long spiders was discovered lurking in the mountains of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, on Colombia's Caribbean coast
  • The four-inch long spiders was discovered lurking in the mountains of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, on Colombia's Caribbean coast

• The four-inch long spiders was discovered lurking in the mountains of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, on Colombia's Caribbean coast

PA
Dec-30-New-species-of-tarantula.jpg

The Kankuamo marquezi tarantula is a new discovery
A terrifying new species of tarantula with poisonous hairs sticking from spindly body has been discovered.

The four-inch long spider was found lurking in the mountains of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, on Colombia's Caribbean coast.

It has been named Kankuamo marquezi - after the country's Nobel Prize-winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Other tarantulas in its subfamily flick barbed "urticating" hairs at their enemies, which can cause fatal injuries to small mammals.

Kankuamo marquezi is different in that its stinging hairs are not thrown but cause irritation when they are touched.

The arachnid's genus or "family" name, Kankuamo, honours a threatened indigenous people from the region where it was found.

PA
Dec-30-New-species-of-tarantula.jpg

The arachnid has poisonous hairs sticking from its body

'A spider bite hospitalised me for a WEEK' - How to avoid holiday health horror stories

Carlos Perafan, from the University of the Republic in Montevideo, Uruguay, and colleagues wrote in the journal ZooKeys: "This new find is a great contribution to the knowledge of the arachnids in Colombia and a sign of how much remains to be discovered."

The discovery comes a few days after hundreds of the UK's biggest spiders were released into the wild.

Zookeepers at Chessington World of Adventures have been working to help the endangered population of Fen Raft spiders.

They're the largest type of spider in Britain - with a span of nearly three inches - and are so big, they even eat fish.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terrifying-new-tarantula-poisonous-hairs-8315022

The Express seems to get dafter every day.
LAND OF THE GIANTS? 'Bus-sized spider found on remote island' on Google Earth
PARANORMAL investigators claim mythological monsters may be remote parts of the globe after a YouTube video maker claimed to find a giant spider on GOOGLE EARTH.
By JON AUSTIN
PUBLISHED: 15:07, Fri, Jul 15, 2016 | UPDATED: 15:43, Fri, Jul 15, 2016

Spidr-Google-689912.jpg
GOOGLE•UFOSD

The bizarre anomaly in the picture (ringed) and close up.
Channel Mexico Geek posted a video entitled "Giant Insect on Google Earth" which speculated it may show a monster spider or crab.

Neither, of course are insects as a spider is an arachnid and a crab a crustacean.

But the video zooms in on what looks like a large spider clambering onto a rock from the ocean.

RELATED ARTICLES
It is not clear from the video which part of the globe the Google Earth footage stems from.

The video said the rocks were of a considerable size, so it must be a gigantic creature.

Paranormal buff Scott C waring blogged about the video.

He said: "MexicoGeek of Youtube found a giant crab or spider on a tiny island in the ocean.

Spider-3-593965.png
GOOGLE•UFOSD

It has been described as a giant spider or crab.
RELATED ARTICLES
"The crab itself looks enormous, about the size of a bus - using the road as measurement at the end of the video.

Scott C Waring

"The crab itself looks enormous, about the size of a bus - using the road as measurement at the end of the video.

"This is an awesome discovery and just goes to prove that scientist don't have the slightest clues about the hidden giant species that exist in the oceans of the world.

“At this size it would devour an entire person to satisfy its hunger...so watch out for this giant spider when you are on your next fishing trip, and be aware, you may be the next catch."

• His viewers were shocked by the discovery.

Gregory Ellison posted: "Pretty creepy on the weirdometre."

Another user called dcCamba said: "Gotta get me a gun maybe a Glock nine.

"I understand these are photos but everyday it seems s*** is getting more surreal."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...spider-found-on-remote-island-on-Google-Earth

It doesn't look like an image from Google Earth, it looks like a rock with a normal-sized spider next to it.

I notice there is no indication where this island actually is.

Yeah, a link to the GM page in question would be handy. What's that? Skull Island? Now it makes sense.

Back