• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are the Fundies for real?

AndroMan said:
I'd be afraid. :(

Reagan always worried me the most - especially his jokes about bombing Russia. My respect for Shrub (not great to start with) is waning with every news report and newspaper that comes my way.

Austen said:
Reagan always worried me the most - especially his jokes about bombing Russia. My respect for Shrub (not great to start with) is waning with every news report and newspaper that comes my way.
Even in the grip of Alzheimer's Disease, Reagan still had a better grasp of language and a sense of humour.

"Let's start bombing Russia!" Indeed! :rofl:

I was no fan of Reagan's (shame what's happening to him though) but I always thought he was a fairly kind person at heart. Dubya just makes me think of that mean little, weasel-eyed kid in school who says the right things to get what he wants and does all sorts of evil things without being punished. Reagan seemed more like a dumb friendly jock-type who was easily manipulated.

I found a typical fundie article today (all church architecture is Satanic due to the influence of Free masons and Roman Catholics don't-you-know!) which ends with a link and this warning:

WARNING : These images are not suitable for young children, or possibly even for young, sensitive Christians. They are
images of people and things which are associated with extreme
evil. Please view them with caution, and pray! Thank-you!

http://www.endtimeprophecy.net/~tttbbs/EPN-1/Articles/Articles-Romn/gargoy-4.html#anchor1234567

So beware before you click the link. I will not be held responsibel fro any heart attacks caused by the "evil" images contained on this page!:rolleyes:

What was the reasoning for putting "demonic" figures on a "holy" building? I never got that.

That's a very scary site overall though.

Howdy! In this article, I am going to answer the question
'Did dinosaurs really exist millions of years ago?'. The
answer to this question is simple. No, dinosaurs didn't
existed millions of years ago. Why? Because according to the
Bible, the Earth is only 6,000 years old!

Godidit.

To scare away the actual demons.

Then again, you'd expect they'd think "Great, some fellow demons!" and want to hang out around there more.

Austen said:
I found a typical fundie article today (all church architecture is Satanic due to the influence of Free masons and Roman Catholics don't-you-know!) which ends with a link and this warning:

http://www.endtimeprophecy.net/~tttbbs/EPN-1/Articles/Articles-Romn/gargoy-4.html#anchor1234567

So beware before you click the link. I will not be held responsibel fro any heart attacks caused by the "evil" images contained on this page!:rolleyes:

Because good things are always beautiful, so ugly things must be evil! :rolleyes:

Marion said:
This is one
I found a while back, don't know how genuine it is but its quite a big site.

Judging from my own experience with Fundies, this site looks genuine. Else the parody/satire is very subtle. Which is NOT the norm in this country.

Another born again site on the verge of parody:

http://www.demonbuster.com/
If you can hear the "Oh the Blood of Jesus" midi file, and it gets under your skin, don't turn your speakers off. The demons absolutely hate this song or any song that mentions the Blood of Jesus. The more this bothers you, the more demon infested you are. You actually could get some Deliverance by having this tune play in the background, and some demons may actually leave your home or apartment too. Tape the song and play it in your home over and over.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time you click your SAVE button, think of SALVATION, which means DELIVERANCE.

It also tells you that ALL holidays are pagan and must NOT be celebrated by Christians.

Found this on Ballams ass "homemakers" section...

please send hints for the home, family, home schooling, budgeting, food gathering, cooking, child raising, gardening, shopping-- anything you find that works to help us be better Proverbs 31 home makers. We are especially interested in stories of ladies who were in the work place and left it to glorify God in the home. We do NOT consider the "working woman" (outside the home) to be in God's will, so don't bother to send hints on survival in that area. The work of a Christian woman is in the home, and that is the highest calling any woman can have. This includes unmarried daughters.

:sceptic:

The work of a Christian woman is in the home, and that is the highest calling any woman can have.

Yes, the noblest thing any woman can do is stay home, sponge off of people who do work, and spend her time running after snotnosed children, ensuring that other people's comfort and convenience are assured, and spending her time on countless small tasks and chores which are constantly undone (mop the kitchen floor just in time for the kids to throw cereal on it! In excelsis Deo!) And pop out more kids! Become a combination parasite, automaton and vending machine!

Leaferne is having a very scabby Monday morning and will probably come to her senses and delete this later.

Yes, the noblest thing any woman can do is stay home, sponge off of people who do work, and spend her time running after snotnosed children, ensuring that other people's comfort and convenience are assured, and spending her time on countless small tasks and chores which are constantly undone (mop the kitchen floor just in time for the kids to throw cereal on it! In excelsis Deo!) And pop out more kids! Become a combination parasite, automaton and vending machine!

Ooh, no you don't, Leaferne, that's much too good to delete. I'm just going to go and glorify God by scrubbing someone elses poo-stain off the toilet bowl, then ask my BF if he will give me some money to buy something pretty.

;)

Boyfriend? Living in sin are you?

Somehow the true stuff is always scarier:

Falwell Plans for 'Evangelical Revolution'

Tue Nov 9,10:43 PM ET

U.S. National - AP

By HANK KURZ Jr., Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. - Seeking to take advantage of the momentum from an election where moral values proved important to voters, the Rev. Jerry Falwell announced Tuesday he has formed a new coalition to guide an "evangelical revolution."

Falwell, a religious broadcaster based in Lynchburg, Va., said the Faith and Values Coalition will be a "21st century resurrection of the Moral Majority," the organization he founded in 1979.

Falwell said he would serve as the coalition's national chairman for four years.

He added that the new group's mission would be to lobby for anti-abortion conservatives to fill openings on the Supreme Court and lower courts, a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, and the election of another "George Bush (news - web sites)-type" conservative in 2008.

"We all, for the first time, began to realize the potential of religious conservatives, particularly evangelicals, when something over 30 million of them went to the polls," he said, noting most supported the president and anti-abortion candidates, and voted to approve 11 initiatives across the country banning gay marriage.

Also, a decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Court allowing gay marriages "helped energize our people," Falwell said.

And when San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom began performing gay marriages, it "really caught the attention of people of faith in this country, and what we have been saying could happen actually happened," he said.

"The timing could not have been better. That, along with the abortion issues and the terrorism issue, helped us to get our people awakened."

While overseeing the coalition, Falwell said he would leave day-to-day operations of Liberty University and Thomas Road Baptist Church — both of which he founded — to his sons Jerry Jr., 42, and Jonathan, 38.

Mathew Staver, founder of the conservative law group Liberty Counsel in Orlando, Fla., will be the coalition's vice chairman; Jonathan Falwell will be its executive director. Theologian Tim LaHaye will be the board chairman.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap/20041110/ap_on_re_us/falwell_new_coalition

More Evidence Of Self Censorship and Death Of Freedom Of Spe

BBC News Online: Indecency fears hit US television
11 November, 2004

More than 20 TV stations across the US have cancelled a broadcast of Saving Private Ryan over fears they could be fined for its violence and language.

The stations, all affiliated to the ABC network, do not want to risk a penalty for prime-time graphic war scenes.

Rival CBS stations have been fined 0,000 for showing Janet Jackson's exposed breast during the Super Bowl.

ABC has 225 affiliated stations that show its programmes across the US. The remainder will show the hit 1998 film.

'Artistic tribute'

Stations in Dallas, New Orleans, Orlando and Milwaukee, owned by a range of companies, are among those to pull Saving Private Ryan from Thursday's schedules.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) refused to give them permission in advance, according to Ray Cole, president of Citadel Communications, which owns three ABC affiliates in the Midwest.

"It would clearly have been our preference to run the movie. We think it's a patriotic, artistic tribute to our fighting forces," Mr Cole said.

Saving Private Ryan, which features repeated strong language as part of its World War II reconstructions, was shown on ABC in 2001 and 2002 with few problems.

Reason given: violence and bad language. Nothing to do with the fact that the film shows the bloody brutalities of War reasonably realistically, of course.

:(

What do you expect from a country that was founded by a bunch of outcast religious zealots?

The worst thing is that now if you tell people you are a Chritstian they think your an anti-abortionist crusading homophobic zealot.

The funniest thing i've ever seen, in the toilets of Liverpool Cathedral (the big gothic one) is pro-life messages scratched into the beautifully carved 100 year old sandstone. Is nothing sacred? One asks...

Dubya just makes me think of that mean little, weasel-eyed kid in school who says the right things to get what he wants

Assmosis - the art of getting where you want to be by sucking up to the boss as opposed to good ideas/hard work....

Emperor said:

It looks like it could be a very bad time to be gay or a woman in the US right now.

Originally posted by rjm
The worst thing is that now if you tell people you are a Chritstian they think your an anti-abortionist crusading homophobic zealot.

Yes, it makes things very very difficult.

Did any one hear Claire Short on "Any Questions" today? The question about who would you like as a mentor? She chose Jesus because she wanted to know what he would say about "these funny Christians" who go around starting wars and ignoring the poor. Good for her!
:)

I've never seen Jesus as a bastion of conservative values - in the Bible he is much more of a radical.

Back on the subject of Fundies, Falwell has some interesting friends, like a certain Rev Moon...

Falwell and chum...

... the photographic evidence.

Well I grew up in a fundamentalist religious church. So fundamentalists that the "southern baptsts" down the street were considered to be "wild living" and heretical. But the fundamentalists hardly have the united front that is portrayed in the media and this is why. There are hundreds of fundamentalists churches branches and off shoots. Constant in fighting and arguments over doctorine cause splits in these churches and thats why you have so many denominations. They all think they have a special line to God and that "their" message is the right one. I grew up in a church that literally thought that if you didn't go to our church you wouldn't go to heaven regardless of the fact you had been a christian your whole life. You weren't the "right" christian. Even as a small child this made no sense to me and as soon as I was old enough to make my own decisions I quit attending. I find their ideas and whole worldview a bit repulsive. So if you have any questions about the fundies just ask me I have lots and lots of first hand experience. Oh and I attended a fundamentalist christian high school. (wow was that and experience)

The truth is my sister and I often wonder how we came through it all and not have been completely indoctorinated into that narrow mindset and we both firmly believe that it was because of books. Our parent encouraged us to read constantly and I think that kept our minds and hearts open to the possibility of something else.

I can tell you guys more and go into very specific details about things so once again if you have any real questions about it I will try my best to answer it.

Monday, November 15 | Upstate South Carolina News Sports & Information
Nov 11, 4:02 PM EST

Bob Jones to Bush: Re-election offers reprieve from paganism

GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) -- Bob Jones III, the president of fundamentalist Bob Jones University, has told President Bush he should use his electoral mandate to "appoint many conservative judges" and approve legislation "defined by biblical norm."

"In your re-election, God has graciously granted America - though she doesn't deserve it - a reprieve from the agenda of paganism," Jones wrote Bush in a congratulatory letter posted on the university's Web site.

"`You have been given a mandate ... Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ," the letter said. It is dated Nov. 3.

A White House spokesman said he didn't know whether the president had seen the letter.

"It is easy to rejoice today because Christ has allowed you to be His servant in this nation for another presidential term," Jones wrote.

"Undoubtedly, you will have the opportunity to appoint many conservative judges and exercise forceful leadership with the Congress in passing legislation that is defined by biblical norm regarding the family, sexuality, sanctity of life, religious freedom, freedom of speech and limited government," the letter said.

Jonathan Pait, a spokesman for the university, said the letter was placed on the school's Web site because Jones had read it to students in chapel and many told their parents about it.

"We put it up there, not because we were trying to get in anyone's face, but because parents were asking what was in the letter. This way, we can direct them to that point," Pait said. He said Jones has not received a response from the White House.

The spokesman said it would be a misreading of the letter to think that "everyone who voted for the Democrats is a pagan" or that "if you voted for John Kerry you are a despiser of Christ."

"For example, there are those who voted for John Kerry because they opposed the war in Iraq," Pait said. "Dr. Jones did not intend to paint everyone with that broad a brush."

In February 2000, Bush spoke at Bob Jones University when he was running for his first term in the White House. At the time, the school banned interracial dating and included anti-Roman Catholic material on its Web site.

The private Christian college has since dropped the dating ban but still maintains material questioning Catholicism on its Internet site.

Bush came under fire for the visit but defended it. He later wrote Cardinal John O'Connor of New York to apologize.

---

On the Net: http://www.bju.edu/letter

© 2004 The Associated Press.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...COL-?SITE=SCGRE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The page seems to have been removed but it can be accessed ia Google's cache:

Congratulatory letter to President George W. Bush from Dr. Bob Jones III

November 3, 2004

President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

The media tells us that you have received the largest number of popular votes of any president in America's history. Congratulations!

In your re-election, God has graciously granted America—though she doesn't deserve it—a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. You have been given a mandate. We the people expect your voice to be like the clear and certain sound of a trumpet. Because you seek the Lord daily, we who know the Lord will follow that kind of voice eagerly.

Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ. Honor the Lord, and He will honor you.

Had your opponent won, I would have still given thanks, because the Bible says I must (I Thessalonians 5:18). It would have been hard, but because the Lord lifts up whom He will and pulls down whom He will, I would have done it. It is easy to rejoice today, because Christ has allowed you to be His servant in this nation for another presidential term. Undoubtedly, you will have opportunity to appoint many conservative judges and exercise forceful leadership with the Congress in passing legislation that is defined by biblical norm regarding the family, sexuality, sanctity of life, religious freedom, freedom of speech, and limited government. You have four years—a brief time only—to leave an imprint for righteousness upon this nation that brings with it the blessings of Almighty God.

Christ said, “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my father honour” (John 12:26).

The student body, faculty, and staff at Bob Jones University commit ourselves to pray for you—that you would do right and honor the Savior. Pull out all the stops and make a difference. If you have weaklings around you who do not share your biblical values, shed yourself of them. Conservative Americans would love to see one president who doesn't care whether he is liked, but cares infinitely that he does right.

Best wishes.

Sincerely your friend,

Bob Jones III
President

BJIII:lw

PS: A few moments ago I read this letter to the students in Chapel. They applauded loudly their approval.

When I told them that Tom Daschle was no longer the minority leader of the Senate, they cheered again.

On occasion, Christians have not agreed with things you said during your first term. Nonetheless, we could not be more thankful that God has given you four more years to serve Him in the White House, never taking off your Christian faith and laying it aside as a man takes off a jacket, but living, speaking, and making decisions as one who knows the Bible to be eternally true.

---------------
© 2004 Bob Jones University

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:http://www.bju.edu/letter

Emperor said:
"`You have been given a mandate ... Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ,"

I suspect he is right - my Christ is clearly a different one than either George Bush's or Bob Jones's.

Well, at least it's answered one question. I watched the remake of the Ladykillers the other night, and I thought the Bob Jones University the old lady gave money to was probably a scam, and that would be the final coup de grace.

I think my version was funnier.

But what about the biblical bans on eating shellfish, shaving? Huh? Will Bush act on these?

Dont forget, the bible says that th value of pi = 3! So Bush will have to sponsor legislation to force GM & Ford to make ellipsoid wheels!

Ramon Mercado said:
But what about the biblical bans on eating shellfish, shaving? Huh? Will Bush act on these?

Dont forget, the bible says that th value of pi = 3! So Bush will have to sponsor legislation to force GM & Ford to make ellipsoid wheels!
I think you'll find that Fundies tend to have a rather 'pick'n'mix' atitude to Biblical quotations, laws and strictures.

They are very big on the anti-gay and anti-abortion stuff, they claim to have found there. But, also the stuff about accumulating wealth, the need for women to have 'big hair', the importance of preachers wearing Armani, Gucchi, Rolex, etc, as well as their the need for Olympic sized swimming pools and for yachts moored near Miami.

Halleleujah! Can I get a witness? Amen!

well this article really encapsulated what i think about alot of what so called "christians" do and say everyday. Wel i don't agree with the "homosexuality is an abomionation" but then reading this article i don't think this guy does either.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/14/Columns/The_Pharisees_line_up.shtml

This past Tuesday in Jacksonville, the Florida Baptist Convention voted to support a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

The Baptists want the Florida Constitution to state that marriage is "the union between a man and a woman and is the God-ordained building block of the family and the bedrock of society."

"The church is the voice of morality," declared the sponsor of this resolution, the Rev. Jay Dennis of Lakeland.

The voice of morality!

I have no quarrel with the Baptists being the voice of morality, even though I was raised a Methodist. (Actually, a Wesleyan - so see, I already know how this whole thing is gonna turn out anyway.)

My only question is:

Why just this morality?

Why just this sin?

Why is this now the moral crisis that deserves to be singled out in our Constitution, the civil law of Caesar, so we can create a lesser class of citizens who don't have the same rights of civil contract?

Could it be because this is an alleged "sin" that only Those Kind of People commit, instead of equally serious sins that Decent People (even Baptists) commit every day?

If we are going to start ranking the "sins," marriage between two gay people who love each other and seek a lifelong commitment doesn't even make the Bible's best-known top-10 list.

Sure, homosexuality is called an "abomination." The Bible says so, not too far from where the Bible also says it's okay to stone your headstrong son to death, and that you'd better stay away from menstruating women.

And yes, the topic of homosexuality really freaked out St. Paul, no question. But so did a lot of stuff.

On the other hand, you know what IS right smack in the Ten Commandments?

Adultery.

Adultery! Now, that's a threat to the institution of marriage. You bet.

Half of heterosexual marriages in our society end in divorce. We heterosexuals are doing a lousy job of "defending" marriage. Adultery is a big part of the reason.

So if we're going to rewrite our Constitution to "protect" marriage from sin because it is the "God-ordained bedrock of society," then I would think that adultery would be a much better target.

The Florida Constitution should be amended to say that there can be no marriage licenses for anyone who has ever had sex outside marriage.

But wait, don't stop there.

Adultery is not the only marriage-threatening sin.

There's coveting.

That's in the Ten Commandments, too. Coveting your neighbor's wife can get you in big trouble.

Bearing false witness is one of the Big 10, too, if I recall. Lying is a pretty big threat to marriage.

No legal rights for liars! God created Adam and Eve, not Adam-You-Can't-Believe.

So, you see, there are the sins that the majority of us Decent People commit, such as lying, coveting, failing to keep the Sabbath, worshiping the wrong things...

And then there is the Really Bad Stuff that God hates even more and wants us to punish and fight by rewriting our Constitution.

I don't believe it.

I am just a poor layman, but I do not recall anywhere in the book seeing instructions to rank what we consider to be sins, and to judge only the ones we find in other people.

In fact, irresistibly, Matthew 7:5 keeps coming back to me:

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Of course, Jesus said a lot of other stuff, too. Rich people almost certainly won't go to heaven. They should give away their money. We should turn the other cheek to those who seek to hurt us. We should clothe the naked and feed the poor and house the homeless.

We also should pray in private, without beating our breasts loudly and rending our garments in the streets like hypocrites.

Jesus' words, not mine.

Maybe he meant we were supposed to just pick and choose the parts we liked.
[Last modified November 14, 2004, 12:04:3

Ramon Mercado said:
Well, the eating shellfish thing is repealed, along with the rest of the kosher laws, in Acts. (Don't have a reference to hand, but basically God appears to one of the disciples, probably Peter, and says it's OK to eat anything.)

I've been saying for years that all these fundies are going to Hell because they shave their sideburns. They don't listen, though.

Interesting article, gl5210. Makes a lot of sense.

I know its a bit off topic but this must be the best thread to help me out
What is the original sin?
I thought it was eating from the tree of knowledge.
Can anyone help?

Original sin, as I understand it, is disobeying God's command, by eating from the tree of knowledge.

Of course, some theology first year may well turn up to tell me I'm wrong, in which case they're probably right.

Pi in the sky

I reckon we could get to them on the pi angle! Lets demand that maths textbooks should carry the biblical value of pi!

John Thune the new US Senator from South Dakota is a creationist, lets lobby him!

Back